Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:35:40 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773289
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 690
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 651
Total: 653

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Successful ART zeroes possibility of Resistance?  (Read 4703 times)

Offline konpisces

Successful ART zeroes possibility of Resistance?
« on: November 06, 2021, 08:40:43 am »
Hey all, hope you are doing fine!

I was wondering the following: i've read that remaining more than 6 months UD since first diagnosed as UD means you are durably UD. Is there a possibility that even at this state, the virus will find some way to mutate so that it can evade the current (successful) ART treatment?

Offline konpisces

Re: Successful ART zeroes possibility of Resistance?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2021, 08:41:45 am »
The assumption is that the HIV+ person is fully adherent to the therapy - not missing doses.

Offline Tonny2

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2021, 09:11:05 am »

ojo.        Hi!…welcome!…I’ve been on the same treatment for 14 years, still UD, even though I had a history of resistance. (If you want read “hope dies last”, my thread…just take your med/s as prescribed and the chances of becoming resistance there are lots of options to switch to…good luck

Online Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2021, 09:32:10 am »
Let me put it like this, once you have suppressed the virus and continue to take your meds correctly you should fully expect your viral load to remain suppressed.

So keep taking your meds and go to your check-ups to monitor.

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/hiv-drug-resistance

P.s

Know you only recently started treatment. When is your next follow up appointment?

Keep posting any questions or concerns you have but also write them down to ask your doctor when you next see them.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2021, 10:32:43 am by Jim Allen »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2021, 11:09:01 am »
here's something I posted back in August

the take-away is when a patient remains adherent to ARVs the conditions are not conducive to HIV mutating.

Resistance (HIV mutating to resist a medication) mainly happens from not taking enough meds properly. The amount of virus has to drop to low levels, but not be totally absent, for the virus to mutate against the drug. In other words, someone who takes meds a few days, then skips a few, then takes it for a few more days sets themselves to have the levels of meds dip too low and HIV mutating before bringing the levels back up. Completely stopping meds usually doesn't cause resistance because the level of meds continue to drop well past any level to effect HIV before the HIV can mutate.

I took this chart from a site about antibiotics and edited it a little bit, so please ignore any weirdness there at the 2nd dose. The thing to take away is that any time adherence falls below the point (the red dashed line) of keeping the med level high enough (at least 95% adherence or higher*), resistance becomes possible.

*Thankfully, the meds of today are much more effective. With a longer half-life (the amount of time the med is at the right level in your system), these meds stay in our systems longer, making incidents of non-adherence (skipping a dose) less likely to allow HIV to mutate. This is what allows a greater leeway (2-4 hrs) around the timing of each day's dose, or not developing resistance when missing a single dose in a month.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline konpisces

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2021, 11:12:00 am »
Thank you for your replies! Yes, I am on my 3rd week of treatment. No discernible side effects so far.

Next check is after 1 month on treatment.  I will go to the ‘vampires’ in 9 days..

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2021, 05:09:26 pm »
just remember: your lab results are just a snapshot of one moment in time. (CD4s can change by 100 pts a day! they're highest in the evening btw. it doesn't really "mean" anything; but it is a slightly interesting factoid) In the long run, you'll want to evaluate your situation by how your numbers are doing based on at least 3, over at least 6 months. Trends are much more meaningful as a diagnostic tool, than a single test ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.