Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:36:48 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 393
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 389
Total: 391

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: HIV Poz Hetero BBQ in Half Moon Bay California (S.F.)- Monday, September 6th  (Read 10559 times)

Offline Neenzers

Hello to all HIV Poz Heteros:

The Bay Area HIV Poz Hetero group is putting on a BBQ in Half Moon Bay California (which is just South of San Francisco on the coast) on Monday, September 6th.  YES, this is Labor Day Weekend.... Don't know how many of you from this group live in the area or will be visiting the San Francisco Bay area during this time but you, friends and family are welcome to come! We will probably start meeting at 11a and you can come for whatever time you want.

It's at the Half Moon Bay State Beach, further details to come. We usually ask people to bring a meat (or whatever) they like to BBQ and a side dish. We will have someone keeping track of the side dishes so we don't end up with 100 lbs of macaroni salad...LOL!!! It was a fabulous day when we had it last year and if there is any way you can make we'd love to have you!!! If you are coming in from out of the area and need tips on places to stay, let me know...but there are several motels in Half Moon Bay, there is also a Hostel nearby.   Parking for the day is $10 so try and carpool. If you get there late the parking lot may be full and you would have to
walk a bit, and there is a neighborhood just outside entrance with lots of "No Parking", so plan to
get there early and enjoy the beach or help us set-up :-)  All are welcome!

For more info or questions, you can contact me directly at: az2ca4neen@yahoo.com

Link to Half Moon Bay State Beach  - Francis Beach

http://www.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=531

If you live in or near the area or plan on being in the Bay Area over Labor Day Weekend and want to meet up with local Bay Area Poz Heteros please plan on coming for a fun day (hopefully sunny, dress in layers as it is on the Coast) at the beach!!! :D

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
Not to knock this or detract from it any way, but why does it specifically have to be a Hetero gathering?  Is this some sort of swinger's party or single's mixer?

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
Welcome aboard.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 10:17:14 pm by Rev. Moon »
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline leese43

I read it that it's the Bay Area Hetero Poz Group (No doubt there's a Gay group in the Bay area) holding a BBQ. Makes no mention that you have to be hetero to go. Friends and family welcome..I guess you could be neg and gay even. :)
Oct 04 - Neg
Aug 05 - infected
Oct 05 - cd4 780, vl 60k
Apr 08 - cd4 430, vl 243
Jul 08 - cd4 550, vl 896
Nov 08 - cd4 730, vl 1.8k
May 09 - cd4 590, vl 1.5k
Sep 09 - cd4 460 vl 34k
Dec 09 - cd4 470 vl 42k
April 10 - cd4 430 vl 88.5k
July 10 - cd4 330 vl 118k
Aug 10 - started reyataz/truvada/norvir
Aug 10 - cd4 380 vl 4k (12 days after starting meds :))
Sep 10 - cd4 520 vl 1.5k
Oct 10 - cd4 590 vl 44
Jan 11 -cd4 610 vl <40 cd4% 50
May 11 - cd4 780 vl UD

Offline Neenzers

Sorry folks...there are plenty of events for hiv poz gay people!  HIV Poz heteros are very much a minority, yes, even in San Francisco.  This event is being put on by a long time existing group for other hiv poz heteros to meet and socialize only.  Not a swingers party or hook up gathering...it's at a public beach people.  We just wanted a way to reach other hiv poz heteros who don't anyone in the Bay Area and want to get together and bbq and socialize.........

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Sorry folks...there are plenty of events for hiv poz gay people!  HIV Poz heteros are very much a minority, yes, even in San Francisco.  This event is being put on by a long time existing group for other hiv poz heteros to meet and socialize only.  Not a swingers party or hook up gathering...it's at a public beach people.  We just wanted a way to reach other hiv poz heteros who don't anyone in the Bay Area and want to get together and bbq and socialize.........

There's an organisation in Australia (I'm an Aussie) called Straight Arrows.

They're a respected operation down here. They organise lots of events for positive heteros. They might like to hear from your organisation if a relationship of some sort doesn't already exist.

MtD

Offline Neenzers

Thank you for a positive response MattyD.  Here in the U.S. I cannot barely count the number of organizations for HIV poz heteros, that's because there are so few.  And I was trying to find the few venues that exist for HIV positive heterosexuals to at least let them know that we are having a gathering.  We don't have this group to exclude gay people, but gay people have tons more organizations through support groups and social groups than poz heteros and that's a fact.

We are simply a small organization that someone started many years ago on Yahoo (anyone can start their own group on Yahoo) for the handful of poz heteros that live in or near the San Francisco Bay area.  Due to stigma that so many people feel from being HIV Positive and Heterosexual most
people will stay in the closet. I am talking about out last event that we had in the San Francisco area for poz heteros had 24 people show up.  So if this forum is a way that I can reach at least one person who is HIV positive and heterosexual then I've done a good thing.  I, myself have been HIV positive female
since 1988 and am too old to live with B.S.  We all know that every group and event is not for every person.

If you want more info Matty I am happy to talk with you offline.

Best regards,

Neenzers

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Neenzers is correct -- if as a gay person with HIV you have no issue with something like Strength in Number, a gay social group with chapters in many cities, why would you take issue with something oriented towards HIV+ heterosexuals?

That said, in terms of support groups I've not come across any that are strictly gay as most meet in an ASO or something similar -- however, they are often de facto gay and a heterosexual that had little to no previous exposure to gay people might feel uncomfortable, not from homophobia (though some may be) but simply not at ease discussing certain topics.  It's like why we have a women's section here I suppose.  
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Folks, just a cautionary word here. In the past the subject of poz gays and poz straights has often erupted into a them vs. us firefight.

Let's not have that happen this time. Please keep the conversation civil.

Thanks for your cooperation. 
Andy Velez

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Thank you for a positive response MattyD.  Here in the U.S. I cannot barely count the number of organizations for HIV poz heteros, that's because there are so few.  And I was trying to find the few venues that exist for HIV positive heterosexuals to at least let them know that we are having a gathering.  We don't have this group to exclude gay people, but gay people have tons more organizations through support groups and social groups than poz heteros and that's a fact.

We are simply a small organization that someone started many years ago on Yahoo (anyone can start their own group on Yahoo) for the handful of poz heteros that live in or near the San Francisco Bay area.  Due to stigma that so many people feel from being HIV Positive and Heterosexual most
people will stay in the closet. I am talking about out last event that we had in the San Francisco area for poz heteros had 24 people show up.  So if this forum is a way that I can reach at least one person who is HIV positive and heterosexual then I've done a good thing.  I, myself have been HIV positive female
since 1988 and am too old to live with B.S.  We all know that every group and event is not for every person.

If you want more info Matty I am happy to talk with you offline.

Best regards,

Neenzers

Neenz,

I'm actually a gay guy but I'm aware of the difficulties that straight Fivers can experience in the positive community. Here in Australia the proportion of HIV positive heterosexuals is quite small and many services do not cater for your kind's particular needs.

I appreciate that, like any other distinct group, poz hetz want to get together from time to time to share their common experiences. Our forums here reflect that principle. There's a forum for women only and another one set aside for long term survivors.

Since the noise generated by the majority can drown out minority voices, having a space of one's own is important.

My advice is to overlook anything you've read in this thread which seems a bit unfriendly. I'm sure it wasn't meant in that way. Sometimes wires get crossed on the internet. :)

MtD

Offline Neenzers

Thank you Andy for your words!

This isn't a gay vs. straight.  For so many years the only poz people I knew were gay and I
was the lone female.  All I am trying to do is reach a very underserved community so that
those that felt alone or isolated (as I did for so many years!) had an opportunity to
connect.

I was ready to pull my posting off because I wasn't about to get into a
"us vs. them"....we are all in this boat together.  But I just happen to
bring a little love and light to the newly diagnosed or to those who have
never had the opportunity to meet another poz hetero person.  I lived in
the Bay Area for 5 years before I met another hiv positive person who
happened to be a female, after that there was only one small group
that would meet for social gatherings and I am telling you there were never
more than 25-30 people tops!!!  In the whole Bay Area...we are the minority
and we have a right to meet as an individual group, just as others mentioned
the multitudes of the S.I.N. groups that exist all over the U.S.

Can't we just have love and respect and support all the groups that are
out there just trying to help one another live with this disease?

P.S. I am a longtime veteran of HIV Positive cruises that go out of
Florida every year and they are for both....straight and gay.  I have no
personal issues with anyone...don't have time for that.  I am all about
being there to support anyone just trying to exist with HIV in a world
that still doesn't quite "get us".

Peace and love to all of you :-)

Neenzers

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
I was just curious personally.  I dunno, I've never been around a large group of poz folks of either sexual persuasion.

Offline Jody

Going on AMG's here as I have been fortunate enough to do have always contained mostly gay men, but from the beginning in 2005 always lovingly had straight folks welcome, as well as friends and supporters of the HIV+.

We have welcomed all over the years, including children, so it has been a diverse group.  The SIN cruise I went on had gay and straight folks, men and women.  We also had many people on the ship who were not HIV+ at all.  

So Neenzers post may have seemed to be exclusive to some but overall it's fine to do so if folks will benefit.  It's not exclusive to keep the bathrooms or water fountains separate after all.  I was a member of an HIV+ gay mens only support group for 13 years.  No women ever applied to my knowledge.  A transgendered person did apply with the facilitator once to be a member some years back and the facilitator put it to a vote.  Me and one other member voted to let this person join but 6 guys voted no, saying they felt the group should be exclusive to HIV+ gay men.  If this was prejudice I can't say but I voted yes because I thought it could help someone living with HIV and that in itself was more important than maintaining our status as a gay + male meeting place.  But I understood the other guys trepidation I suppose as we did start out exclusive to a group of men who were an opressed minority in our own right looking for support and answers.

Anyway good luck Neenzers with your group in beautiful California.

Jody  
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline tokyodecadence

• A one room disco.
I was just in San Francisco, the weather was perfect. Have fun!
[.Fodão.]

Offline Neenzers

Thanks Tokyo and Jody!  We are doing the "great weather dance" as the weather
on the coast can be verrrrry ifffy!  One must always dress in layers or possibly
freeze your buns off.  Some of us will even be camping there on the bluff and
last year it was pozitively gorgeous.....regardless, if it's cold and foggy the beach
is still a beautiful and tranquil place to walk on the sand, clear your mind of all
that may trouble you.  Who can beat the salty ocean air?  Heck, even if I am
the only one that shows up I would still be loving the day and soak it all in....

Another event we do here on the West Coast is white water rafting on the
American River north of Sacramento up in the mountains.  It's sponsored by
an AWESOMELY wonderful group called Healing Waters, based in San Francisco.
The rafting weekends are for everyone who has HIV/AIDS or affected by HIV/AIDS.
The trips are super cheap, wonderful group of people who provide everything...
food/camping gear/all rafting stuff needed.  I went last year with group of my
straight friends from Los Angeles and one friend from Florida but we were a
mixed group gay and straight.  If you've never done whitewater rafting but
want to experience the great outdoors with professional rafting guides then
you should check out this organization for next year.  Rafting season is almost
over now but if you get on their mailing list they will let you know when they
have the calendar booked next year!  It's a trip you won't forget.

Now that I know about this forum for posting events I will also post this
info again next Spring.  Sadly I couldn't go this year because I needed
to have my right hip replaced last March and my left one will be replaced
in September.  Sadly this is due to having HIV for so long.  It's called
AVN or Avascular Necrosis, so if anyone just thinks they have bad arthritis
in your hip joints tell your Dr. you want a x-ray now.  Since I was diagnosed
with this I have found out of many hiv poz peoples with same condition
who also had their hips replaced :-(  But soon I can walk, run, dance
with NO pain or NO pain pills....YAY!!!!

Here's the link for Healing Waters:   www.hwaters.org

Love and light,

Neenzers

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.