Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 03:46:41 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 677
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 646
Total: 646

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: VL "Blip"  (Read 3083 times)

Offline wyosunny

VL "Blip"
« on: December 06, 2016, 10:34:56 pm »
Hello all, and Happy Holidays!
I'm now 13 months into treatment, and I guess doing pretty well, all things considered.  I did not, however, ever get comfortable with my doctor, and unfortunately, he is the only option I have here.  So, that said, I made the decision to make the 7 hour trek to Denver, and so far, I am loving the new care.  I love my doctor, who apparently has been frontline all over the world, pretty much since 1985.  She seems to really be on top of her science, and I think the relationship will work well.  Of course she started from scratch, and I had a few changes, that I guess I just need a little reassurance.  My last labs were VL UD, CD4 624. VL has been UD since Jan 2016.
Now, with new doc, new lab, and a bit of a cold:
HIV 1 Quantitative PCR   73 copies/mL   0 copies/mL
HIV RNA (log 10)   1.86 copies/mL   copies/mL

Lymphocyte Absolute   1.60 10*9/L   10*9/L
CD4 Percent   45 %   25 - 62 %
CD4 Absolute   720 cells/uL   425 - 1860 cells/uL

I really think it's the VL throwing me.  Do "blips" really just happen?  Logically, everything I've read and heard from the new doc, says it's fine.  Just can't get the emotional/mental to go along.   Thanks folks!

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
Re: VL "Blip"
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 10:40:48 pm »
Yes -- blips do "just happen".  This is not anything to worry about -- and I'm guessing that your new doctor is not at all concerned either, right? 
I know it's easy for someone else to say, "no need to worry" and a bit harder for you to "not worry", but truly, if there was any concern, your doctor would be all over it.

So, try to relax and enjoy the holiday season!!

Mike

Offline Mightysure

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 11:00:00 pm »
It could be the cold? New infections in your body can cause that latent reservoir to start up, but one test isn't necessarily an indication of anything bad.  These things do just happen unfortunately.  Added in the stress of finding a new doc, the long travel time, etc...I wouldn't be too worried about it right now. 

Keep in mind all of these tests are just snapshots of a small sample of what's going on overall in our bodies.  Your immune system and meds have probably already taken care of that blip. 

Offline wyosunny

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 11:41:29 pm »
Thanks so very much.  Logical, but still a struggle!

Offline wyosunny

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2016, 11:44:51 pm »
Yes -- blips do "just happen".  This is not anything to worry about -- and I'm guessing that your new doctor is not at all concerned either, right? 
I know it's easy for someone else to say, "no need to worry" and a bit harder for you to "not worry", but truly, if there was any concern, your doctor would be all over it.

So, try to relax and enjoy the holiday season!!

Mike
Ues, she seemed morenthan fine.  CD's look awesome, VL very good, but wou)dnprefer yo see 0.  We'll retest when doing followup next month.  So I know, stop worrying!  Lol
Thanks again!

Offline harleymc

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 05:33:48 am »
A retest in a month will give clarity.

If in a month you learn this isn't a blip, then nothing much has been lost in the intervening time. Your medications can be changed.

If in a month this was shown to be a blip, then keeping you on the same medications is good. You wouldn't want to be changing things up for no good reason.

Just so you're not in a panic about how infectious you might be to a sexual partner. The long term studies into that all found no transmissions when viral load was below 200 copies.

Offline wyosunny

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2016, 10:28:54 am »
Thank you! 

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2016, 10:39:28 am »
I have had several blips over the past 15-20 years can't remember how long I've been UD...lol . As Harley said your next labs will tell. You will be fine.

Happy Holidays to you too !

Wade
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
 HIV Transmission and Risks
 You can read more about Testing here:
 HIV Testing
 You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
 HIV TasP
 You can read more about HIV prevention here:
 HIV prevention
 You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
 PEP and PrEP

Offline wyosunny

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2016, 07:42:15 pm »
Thanks Wade!  And everyone else too!  Actualy feeling alot better, being able to draw on your wisdom and experience.  Thank you all, so very much.  Have a wonderful Holiday!

Offline den2542

• Life is what you make it, so make it good
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2016, 09:29:46 pm »
wyosunny I had two blips in my 6 year Atripla voyage. The first one was like 75 and then next one was 27. I guess <25 is the level and below that ur UD. so what I discovered in that time was that during the blips, I'd pop my Atripla pill later than what I should have like for example if I normally take it at about 6 pm, then naturally one should take it the next night at 6 pm. But so I was going to night school and popped it later in the night like say 9:30. It was in those times that I had the blips. So I had a good friend tell me to take the pills at the same time every day. So now voila, so far no blips. Now that everything is great they want to start me on Genvoya. So the blip is what I was told "just happens sometimes because of either something done or something ate or the time one took it. Each time I had the blip, I freaked. So now I respect my pills and thank them for the job they do each time before I take them.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.