Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:14:35 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 161
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 119
Total: 119

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Today I can finally sit up- right (after oral surgery...ouch!)  (Read 13692 times)

Offline zephyr

• Zephyr L.T.N.P. Foundation, Inc.
Hello there, everyone...

I've been down for the count since yesterday, when I had a two-hour session with my Dentist...laser surgery and a major tooth 'scaling' that kicked my a**. I've been in a Vicodin haze for the past two days, and finally, I can sit up straight without the mind-numbing zaps of pain.

I was a complete 'blob' yesterday, and slept most of the day away. I don't know when I've experienced such pain, really. Problem is, we've only completed the top half, I'll have to go through this again for the bottom half.

My professional thinks that the Peridontal Disease is a definite 'side affect' of the HIV virus, I thought I'd let you know. Hopefully, my gums will re-generate and the teeth will strengthen. After going through this, I will absolutely be taking better care of my oral hygiene!

I've never seen a Dentist work so hard in my life...I'm grateful to him for suggesting the laser technique. We knew that a scapel and stitches would leave me vulnerable to infection, and we opted for this technique, instead.

He's got me on a course of a strong antibiodic for the week, and I'll be seeing him again on Thursday for a check-up.

In the meantime, I'm resting, drinking lots of fluids, eating soft foods. Hope you all are having a better weekend, I'm thinking of you.

Love,

Zephyr
"It is character that communicates most eloquently."

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
Re: Today I can finally sit up- right (after oral surgery...ouch!)
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2006, 09:30:25 pm »
Ouch! My mom has twice-yearly teeth scaling, and she always tells me about it in stunning detail. Would. Not. Wish. It. On. My. Worst. Enemy.

Get better, enjoy a nice warm jar of baby food, and feel better soon.
"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Teresa

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2006, 09:35:19 pm »
Ohh Zephyr,

I hope your mouth gets to feeling better real soon. Thats one thing I cant stand is pain from my teeth.

Makes my teeth hurt just reading your post.

Feel better soon.

Hugs
Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2006, 09:41:51 pm »
wishing you well in all this dental stuff

- i'm glad you mentioned laser dental surgery. i never even knew that existed! something new for me to research!  :D

gosh I luv this site  ;D

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2006, 11:42:06 pm »
Zeph honey,

I'm so sorry you are in pain.   I hope you feel much better soon!   I am facing the same thing at some point in the not-too-distant future.   My gums have receded so far from my upper teeth, it is shocking......thank God it doesn't show when I smile normally....

Yes, you will be going through the same thing again....but look at it this way, at least you know what you are in store for.   Hope you are doing a lot better tomorrow!

Love & hugs,
Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Robert

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2006, 01:22:45 am »
Oh great, just when the 2nd heat wave of he summer hits.  Well, make yourself some lemonade or some sun tea, find a nice shade tree read a book or work on the Sunday crossword puzzle.

robert

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2006, 02:13:32 am »
Hi Zeph,

I have often wished the Dentist was in somebody elses mouth.  I do enjoy the Vicodin and look forward to drinking plenty of fluids (Justerini and Brooks, Johnny Walker (Black Label) and on a hot summer day, a little blended Jose Cuervo Maggie with a Gran Marnier back.  When in pain, I want to have a good time or I do not want to play.  Have the best day
Michael

www.Commission-on-AIDS.org

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2006, 02:45:10 am »
Hi Zeph, feel better. I have a feeling I will soon "feel your pain" as my gums have been bleeding like a stuck pig at the county fair, after I floss. Don't you just love having HIV? It's allot of fun. N'est Pas? Or whatever the french say LoL.
Positive since 1985

Offline frenchpat

• Love your friends, don't eat them.
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2006, 02:55:18 am »
In a case like Zeph's, we simply say OUCH! as well ;)

I feel for you Zephyr and wish you a quick and lasting recovery. However sexy (mine's drop dead gorgeous and straight ???) you don't want to visit your dentist too often...

Pat
People have the power - Patti Smith

Offline bobik

• My worksite
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2006, 09:12:46 am »
Hello Zephyr,

pain in your mouth is really bad, isn't it? In 1987 I have had a very bad peridontal disease, also affecting my palate and my tongue. I didn't know yet I had HIV, but it must have been when I was recently infected.  It hurt so much. I just moved to The Hague and I didn't have a dentist here. It was friday afternoon. So I was calling dentists and they all said I can come next week......... until one pf them heard my voice and said "You are really in pain, aren't you?" and invited me to come immediately. I have never been so grateful to someone in my life. JC, that pain was so bad I could cry.

Feeling for you, dear! Get well soon!

Hug

Coen
Coen Honig at Facebook

Offline bear60

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2006, 09:19:54 am »
Hi Zephyr
I havent spoken with you for awhile but I have been following the accounts of your "adventures".  You are truly a great person.  I know you will get thru this dental thing ok.  Plop down with a favorite movie or new movie ...that always works for me.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline penguin

• The Penguin Whisperer
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2006, 09:42:13 am »
hope it is better today - heal quickly  :-*

Kate

Offline david25luvit

• Member since March 2005
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2006, 11:29:42 am »
Bless your heart Zephyr...Big Hug  :-*  And sending you <<<healing powers>>>
This too shall pass....my lady :-*
In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III
Nov. 25, 1972- Oct. 15, 2004
I miss him terribly..........

Offline zephyr

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2006, 12:06:24 pm »
All of you are making me smile (gently) with your well wishes!

I had to take another Vicodin in the middle of the night, I woke up with my whole damn head throbbing! And, some friends from Denver called last night, I wasn't aware how difficult speaking would be, but it was. (Guess it's time for me to be quiet, huh?)

I've been out and watered all my plants, as our heat wave will continue for the day...and, I noticed that there is a movie special on today that I may buy..."Chronicles of Narnia"....ah, just the fantasy escape this woman needs!

Bless your hearts, each and every one of you, for chiming in.....warms the heart, it does!

Love,

Zephie :-*

Offline manchesteruk

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2006, 12:08:07 pm »
2 hours in the dentist all I can say is OUCH!  Hope you are feeling better soon though.

Chris
Diagnosed 11/05

"Life is too important to be taken seriously" Oscar Wilde

Offline water duck

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2006, 12:09:09 pm »
Dear Zephyr

Well , welcome to the club. When i had that problem, i must be seroconverting, i could climb up the wall.

Well , i was not Water Duck then, otherwise, i could fly  ;D ;D

Here is wishing that this will pass by real quickly  :-* :-*

Siang

Offline TedEBearNC

• ~Cuddly~
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2006, 05:04:14 pm »
Hi Zeph,

I feel for ya. Pamper yourself and enjoy the movie. :)

Hugs,

Phil
Member since March 2004

Offline Eldon

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2006, 05:22:18 pm »
Hi Zephie,

Went to the Dnetist I see. Well, I hope you are feeling better. My dental appointments havent been that bad either, the hygenists still has the lower portion of my mouth to do for scaling, and I have had oral surgery.

Eldon

Offline Nadine

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2006, 07:22:12 pm »
Hey Zephyr,

Hope your feeling better tonight...I had root scaling not too long ago myself...ouch! I couldn't handle the Vicodin, made me very sick. Then I had to have a root canal, I knew better than to take the Vicodin that time, I just popped some Motrin 800's.

Just pamper yourself and feel better honey!

((Hugs))

Offline livingpositively

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2006, 09:25:09 pm »
Hey Zeph,

OWEEEE!!!  Just doesn't sound like you've had much fun.  I hope things are getting better.

Can't wait to see those new pearlie whites in Montreal.   ;D ;D ;D

Love ya,

Shane
4/6/07   CD4 450, % 23, No VL
2/19/07 CD4 487, % 26, VL 47,500
1/4/07   CD4 357, % 27, No VL
10/3/06 CD4 500, % 26, VL 18,000
7/6/06   CD4 530, % 29, VL 83,800
4/6/06   CD4 555, % 28, VL 13,000

Offline luvmyboys

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2006, 06:18:00 pm »
Glad to read you are doing better Zeph.   Big smiles soon.    ;D
7/10/06 CD4 427, % 17, VL 20,600
5/30/06 CD4 428, % 17, VL 21,700

Offline zephyr

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2006, 11:29:34 pm »
Hi there...

Gosh, thanks people! ;D With friends like you, I'm getting much better by the day!!

One of the side affects to this was having all the nerves in my face start 'screeching' yesterday...I guess they got pretty raw from all that zapping and scraping...it lasted for about 4 hours, but thankfully, all gone this morning when I woke up. (I mean, even my eye-lids were sore!)

And, oh! I did watch the movie, it was terrific! I loved all those special affects and medival-type scenes! Great story line, too!

Well, we're having a heat-wave again for the entire week, so I'm off to bed soon for an early work appt. Got to ease into this a little at a time, I'm fitting in some extra jobs for some fun money in MONTREAL!!

YAY!! ONLY ONE MONTH LEFT!!

Love to all of you,

Offline JohnOso

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2006, 04:41:25 am »
oh zeph...i'm sorry about your pain.   stay someplace nice and cool and just ride it out with a nice margarita chaser.

i know, don't mix booze with vicodin...to hell with that!

Take care honey,
John

Offline zephyr

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2006, 08:29:38 pm »
Thanks, buddy!!

Hey, if I mixed those two things together, I'd be right back where I started, flat out on the damn couch!! Whew!!

Appreciate the well-wishes...had to go out today and buy some Vitamin E capsules to treat a cold-sore on my lip from the stress of all this! Darn it...it better go away before I get to Montreal!! (With all that kissin' and huggin' I want to deliver!)

Hope you are well, my dear...staying cool, too.

Love

Zephie

Offline livingpositively

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2006, 08:34:42 pm »

Have you tried Abreva for cold sores?  My mom gets them often and SWEARS by it.  I have had a couple in the last year after being in the sun for too long and used it at mom's insistence and it did seem to work.  Of course the earlier you catch it the better.  But even if you're a bit late, it does pretty good.  It's a little tiny blue tube in a box like chapstick comes in...probably is hanging in the chapstick area at the drugstore.

Shane
4/6/07   CD4 450, % 23, No VL
2/19/07 CD4 487, % 26, VL 47,500
1/4/07   CD4 357, % 27, No VL
10/3/06 CD4 500, % 26, VL 18,000
7/6/06   CD4 530, % 29, VL 83,800
4/6/06   CD4 555, % 28, VL 13,000

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2006, 10:43:43 am »
My Darling Sweet Precious,

I do hope you are holding up under the stress of the heat and the pain.  Please be nice to Zephyr, and we will see her back here in full good health soon. 

Less than a month........  Yeeee ha.

In Love.
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2006, 10:50:09 am »
Zeph,

OUCH! Sorry, somehow I missed this thread earlier. My time seems a bit more fragmented than usual.

That said, I hope you are feeling better and are taking good care of yourself.

BIG HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2006, 05:54:31 pm »
OUCH! Hope you're feeling better, Zeph. Enjoy the movie and sip something tasty.
Andy Velez

Offline zephyr

Hi everybody!

Just got back from my dental check-up, and my Dentist is very pleased with how quickly my gums are healing!! We are beginning to see a 'healthier' appearance (light pink instead of red-hot pink) and it all looks good.

The only drawback to this has been the development of 'thrush' on the roof of my mouth, he thinks from the tetracycline. He told me to stop taking it, immediately! We'll wait a couple of days to see if it clears up, and, if it doesn't, then he will prescribe a type of lozenge for me to treat it.

I've always been very sensitive to any types of anti-biodic, usually, it's a yeast infection. Not having been on anything like this for a decade or more, I'm not surprised to see that my body is reacting the way it is.

Had lunch with friends today, and actually ate without much discomfort!! YAY!!

Thought you would like to know how I'm doin'....thanks for reading!

Love,

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2006, 07:16:47 pm »
You know whats sad? Now that you can eat solid food, its a good idea to eat lots of yigurt for that thrush :)

Mmmmm.... nasty.

:) I am glad to see you feeling better though. A smile like yours is worth saving, and savoring.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

Welcome Thread

Offline Teresa

« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2006, 07:33:23 pm »
So glad your feeling and eating better!

Hugs
Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline zephyr

« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2006, 08:01:38 pm »
Jonathan!! Are you serious? Just when I was looking forward to no more yogurt for a while!! Gee whiz, can't win for losin'. :-\

Thanks, Teresa...you are always there for me, it does not go un-noticed, honey!

Ok....I'll go get a yogurt from the fridge now.

EEP!

:-*

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2006, 08:05:47 pm »
E... yogurt is so gross. But so effective in preventing/treating thrush. I cannot stand the stuff. I keep thinking about Cows sneezing yogurt out of their noses.  Ew ew ew ew ew.

You are made of some strong stuff, Zephyr.

Welcome Thread

Offline zephyr

« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2006, 08:31:29 pm »
LOL!!

Cows sneezing yogurt out of their noses? HAAAAAA HAAA...what a picture!

Only you could come up with that, dearie, only you!!

After I eat my yogurt, I'm going to dive into my carton of Rainbow Sherbet!!! YAY!! (It's 106 degrees out there...damn!)

BTW...I'm only as strong as the company I keep, honey!! :D

Love,

Offline luvmyboys

« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2006, 08:53:26 pm »
Zephyr,

I am glad to read  you are doing much better.   Yogurt - hmmm  don't think I will be eating any anytime soon.    ;)

7/10/06 CD4 427, % 17, VL 20,600
5/30/06 CD4 428, % 17, VL 21,700

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.