Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:45:54 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773218
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 590
Total: 592

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Memory loss!!  (Read 7523 times)

Offline sorryass

Memory loss!!
« on: March 30, 2011, 10:59:53 am »
I have definetly noticed that my memory is not what it used to be.  Things like passwords, peoples names, pin numbers, are all becomeing a problem to remember.  I thought for a while, that this was just normal, silly kind of things, but yesterday I discovered something that truely, truely has me worried.

I was on facebook, looking over my messages.  I was re-reading for the fun of it, when something came up that really sat me up straight.  A friend of mine, Quienten, and his wife Zoe, live in Toronto.  On facebook, it recorded about 12 conversations that Zoe and I had, from Nov 2010 - Feb 2011.  Then there is a gap, untill March 22/11 where I contact Zoe, clearly haveing forgotten that I have had the previous conversations  Nov/10 - Feb/11!  I still don't remember ever having those conversations.  I don't know for sure, but I'm starting to think I may really haveing a memory problem.  I see there is a Mental Health forum, I will be checking that out.

Bertram.
Once a gardener,...............er!

*Ritonavir 100mg 2-Day
*Etravirine 100mg 2-Day
*Raltegravir 400mg 2-Day
*Prezista 600mg 2-Day

Offline mewithu

• mewithu
Re: Memory loss!!
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 11:35:51 am »
Tell your HIV DR about this also it may be a problem he needs to know of.
1997 is when I found out, being deathly ill. I had to go to the hospital due to extreme headache and fever. I fell coma like,  two months later weighing 95 pounds and in extreme pain and awoke to knowledge of Pancreatis, Cryptococcal Meningitis, Thrush,Severe Diarea,  Wasting, PCP pneumonia. No eating, only through tpn. Very sick, I was lucky I had good insurance with the company I worked for. I was in the hospital for three months that time. 
(2010 Now doing OK cd4=210  VL= < 75)
I have become resistant to many nukes and non nukes, Now on Reyataz, , Combivir. Working well for me not too many side effects.  I have the wasting syndrome, Fatigue  . Hard to deal with but believe it or not I have been through worse. Three Pulmonary Embolism's in my life. 2012 520 t's <20 V load

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 11:44:16 am »
Bertram, I have that problem as well, I think it's apart of the aging process and long term HIV/AIDS, I told my otherhalf Bob the other day, that what if I forget who you are one day, he replied, well I'll just shove my dick down your throat, and then you'll remember me  ; :D but in all seriousness, if you think this is becoming more problematic, then YES, you need to discuss w/ your doctor  ;)
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline bear60

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 02:39:21 pm »
I'd just like to say that I had a good friend who died from a brain infection which is considered an OP (opportunistic infection).
His problem was not memory loss.  Rather, it was progressive personality change and anger, outrage and hostility which came and went.
If you are experiencing mild memory loss it most likely has nothing to do with HIV itself but rather (possibly) medications you are on.  For instance, did you start (or stop) any medications during this period of time you refer to?  I started taking Celexa ( in addition to the Ativan) and can tell you that I find whole conversations that I dont remember when I repeat myself to my partner.  He says" You've already told me that."  Or on the other hand I think I have told him about something but never did.  I can also tell you that Ativan, Celexa and Vodka, are a wild mixture.
It also has a lot to do with your "numbers".  If your numbers are in the normal range....CD4 of over 500 and percent over 25,  you most likely will not have memory loss due to HIV.
There are a few wierd diseases out there which I have heard of...for instance in Arizona and New Mexico....its a cytomegalovirus...I forget the name. lol   But its related to mouse droppings and such.  If you live in a rural area this might be a  concern.  But I think Canada is wet enough so that mouse dropping dust isnt blowing in the wind.
As far as pin numbers and such...we keep a cheat sheet in a binder on a shelf by the computer.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 05:53:15 pm »
Hi Bertram

I know ts distubing and I would mention it to the Dr at my next app, It is easy to see how potentially over worried friends get, leaving out all the harmless  things it is/could be. I trust a couple off friends when it comes to the am I mentally deteriorating/acting strange ? as with treatment and illness There have been times where a whole load off realities present there self's.
Keep us informed Bertram
t
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline northrock

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 06:02:13 pm »
I had the same issues of memory loss and my doctor tested my B12 levels and they were low.  He put me on a serious regimen of B12 shots and my memory improved.  I know take B12 capsules every morning along with a multi-vitamin and that has helped my memory.  Hope things improve.
New guy to this disease!

Offline Tim Horn

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 06:16:14 pm »
Hi Northrock:

Please note that you're currently posting in a thread in our Long-Term Survivors forum -- which is intended for individuals who have been living with HIV since the 1980s and early 1990s. As you're relatively new to your HIV diagnosis, please understand that the threads in this particular forums are off limits to you. You're free to read, but participation is only for long-term survivors. 

That said, please continue to post in most of the other Forums on this site.

Thanks for understanding,

Tim

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 10:43:17 pm »
I think you should follow your instincts, because you know the real you. I'm 56, been poz for 27 years and I forget things all the time. I think it's important if you can determine if it is short and/or long term memory loss and then discuss this with your doctor. Not knowing what you drugs you may take, there may be alternatives for you to try, or possibly a medical cause, so talk with your doctor, explain it the best you can and then decide on what to do. Best of luck to you and let us know if you find anything that works.  ;D

Offline wolfter

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2011, 09:15:06 am »
I wouldn't take this lightly.  If it's a sudden change, I'd definitely be concerned.  My previous ID doctor was a complete idiot and I had this concern for quite a while.  I was forgetting simple things, like what road to take even though I've driven them for years.  I could not function without writing everything down.  My doctor said it was just the long term affects of HIV.  Thankfully, my family insisted I visit a different doctor.  After a month in the hospital with crytpcoccal menningitis, I'm slowly getting my memory back.  2 years ago this month. 

Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011, 09:57:35 am »
My previous ID doctor was a complete idiot and I had this concern for quite a while.  Thankfully, my family insisted I visit a different doctor.  After a month in the hospital with crytpcoccal menningitis, I'm slowly getting my memory back.  2 years ago this month. 

Wolfter, I hear ya there, some of these so called HIV/AIDS Doctors are a real piece of work, getting a 2nd opinion is always a good idea, I do it and get referrals when I'm not satisfied w/ some of the snarky answers
I get sometimes, doctors are human, but they aren't infallible, I 've had more than my share of em in my 23
yrs. of this disease........good for you  ;)
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline Sfteve

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2011, 04:06:04 pm »
I have noticed some memory loss as well, the simplest of things become a big deal from time to time just like Sorryass mentioned above.

I am fairly healthy, 52 yrs, CD4=497, undetectable, no smoke, casual drinker and keep in shape. I can recall complex issues but simple things just fade away quickly. This is a casual issue, or maybe I have forgotten how often it happens. I will check with my MD.

Thanks guys!

HIV since 1984, Cancer survivor since 1996.
Tcells= 678, Undetectable
Prezista
Truvada
Norvir

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.