Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:45:35 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 383
Total: 383

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Bear couple early 50's Poz since '86 & '87 looking for others in area/visiting  (Read 7090 times)

Offline HVLbear

• Fantasy Fest '97

Bear couple with duplex one hour south of asheville, NC  looking to meet others who have been thru this mess.  Eclectic interests - looking to start second half of life possibly with someone a little younger and looking for a place to fit. Maybe to write a book, continue our advocacy for the disabled, start a website.  Need some new ideas.  Currently participating in HIVcontrollers study at Mass. General.  They have found how we are controlling the virus without any meds ever and stay relatively healthy and want us to come up for further testing.  
After being given 18 months to live in '87 and finding my partner a year later it has turned into 22 years together and we are ready for phase II.
All suggestions, ideas and questions welcome.
Send us an Email HVLbear@msn.com
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 06:37:37 pm by HVLbear »
Subsequent decisions have held that AIDS is protected as a handicap under law, not only because of the physical limitations it imposes, but because the prejudice surrounding AIDS exacts a social death which precedes the physical one. This is the essence of discrimination: formulating opinions about others not based on their individual merits, but rather on their membership in a group with assumed characteristics.

Offline Dachshund

Bear couple with duplex one hour south of asheville, NC  looking to meet others who have been thru this mess.  Eclectic interests - looking to start second half of life possibly with someone a little younger and looking for a place to fit. Maybe to write a book, continue our advocacy for the disabled, start a website.  Need some new ideas.  Currently participating in HIVcontrollers study at Mass. General.  They have found how we are controlling the virus without any meds ever and stay relatively healthy and want us to come up for further testing.  
After being given 18 months to live in '87 and finding my partner a year later it has turned into 22 years together and we are ready for phase II.
All suggestions, ideas and questions welcome.
Send us an Email HVLbear@msn.com

Okay I'll bite. How are you controlling the virus without any meds ever and explain "relatively healthy" while you're at it?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 03:01:33 pm by Dachshund »

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
How young is "a little younger" exactly? 
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline TabooPrincess

WHat's a bear couple?
09/ 2008 - Seroconversion
11/2008 - Tested pos, cd4 640 vl 25400
12/2008 - cd4 794 vl 27798, 35%
03/2009 - cd4 844 vl 68846, 35%
06/2009 - cd4 476 vl 49151, 33% (pregnancy confirmed)
08/2009 - cd4 464 vl 54662, 32%
Started meds for pregnancy (Kaletra, AZT, Viread)
09/2009 - cd4 841 vl 3213, 42%
10/2009 - cd4 860 vl 1088, 41%
11/2009 - cd4 771 vl 563, 38%
12/2009 - cd4 885 vl 151 42%
Discontinued meds after baby born
02/2010 - cd4 841 vl 63781, 38%
05/2010 - cd4 1080 vl 113000, 39%
08/2010 - cd4 770 vl 109242
12/2010 - cd4 642 vl 111000, 34%
06/2011 - cd4 450 vl 222000, 33%
11/2011 - cd4 419 vl 212000, 24%
03/2012 - cd4 280 vl 118000, 26% (repeated Cd4 at 360)
05/2012 -cd4 360 vl 99,190
10/2012 Atripla, cd4 690, vl 80
12/2012 Darunavir, norvir, truvada, Cd4 680, vl u/d
07/2013 cd4 750,ud

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
from just across the state line in SC,
(and I mean just across, like 500 ft LOL)
welcome to the forums  ;D
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline HVLbear

• Fantasy Fest '97
Try www.hivcontrollers.org for theory on non progression. Our Diet, relationship, overexposure to the wild when young and limited antibiotic treatment when young also seems to play a part.  Also the ability to deal with lifes problems with as positive attitude as possible.  We have our share of non HIV related chronic diseases.  Diabetes, foliculitis etc.
Google Gay Bear.
Age is relative. (over 18)
Subsequent decisions have held that AIDS is protected as a handicap under law, not only because of the physical limitations it imposes, but because the prejudice surrounding AIDS exacts a social death which precedes the physical one. This is the essence of discrimination: formulating opinions about others not based on their individual merits, but rather on their membership in a group with assumed characteristics.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline OzPaul

• 40 year, Long Term Survivor/LTNP
Welcome to the forums.

I too am in the Mass General HIV Controller study. I've been in it for 6 years now. I'm 'healthy'  though not on meds and tested positive in 1985, though likely became infected in 1981. I'm curious that you say that told you they know why you control the virus. I know that there are some HLA markers/types that may suggest why some controllers controller the virus, but from what I'm told, they do not know why. I don't  have any of the 'good' markers, only the 'bad' ones. Perhaps you can share with us what they've told you ?

Cheers,

Paul

Offline HVLbear

• Fantasy Fest '97
The last time I spoke with them their current theory is that some peoples immune system knows how to treat the virus and control it I guess with antibodies.  My personal and a couple of I.D.'s agreed with me that after being infected at such a young age that we may have treated it more like a vaccination and not a lethal virus as most.  I listen to all the different theories, file them away and am grateful for the bonus time we have been given unlike so many of our brothers.  Hopefully we can band together and help in some way to end this blight. 
My partner was infected after a near fatal car accident in '79 and given 8 pints of untested blood out of Key West :o,  Notified in '86.  My first boyfriend infected me in '82
When they come up with something concrete I'll listen.  Continued good health to you and blessings on your journey.
BTW have you gone up for the Big draw? b

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.