Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:20:58 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 391
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 349
Total: 350

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Worried Sick in Toronto  (Read 14692 times)

Offline Torontoguy79

Worried Sick in Toronto
« on: June 16, 2010, 01:46:52 pm »
Hi,

I am no different from guys who engage in unsafe sex, put themselves in a position of extreme high risk, and then fret over the signs and symptoms and then self-diagnose themselves. I am no different. I engaged in an unsafe sexual encounter with a positive bottom guy on May 16th, 2010, and then came home crying my heart out. I was the top and came inside the guy. I am not even sure if it’s worth mentioning here that this was only my second time barebacking (the first was several years ago with a negative guy and I have tested negative ever since) and I am a circumcised 29 yr old. I don’t know what I was thinking and anything I can say will no justify it. I spend hours everyday cursing myself, surfing the internet for my chances, my risk, early signs and symptoms and that has destroyed my nerves completely.

Long story short, I realised my mistake and went on PEP medications ( Truvada and Kaletra for 28 days) 36 hours after the exposure. I finished my PEP course this last Sunday on June 13th, 2010. Didn’t have many side effects, luckily but some diarrhoea here and there. My doctor performed baseline tests before the PEP and everything came out fine. 2 weeks into PEP and after exopsure, I ended up with a fever, which I don’t know if it was due to some really intense exertion at the gym or dehydration, but it lasted 6 days and I am now convinced it was my early HIV symptom. I also had some aches and diarrhoea but did not notice any sore throat, swollen glands, or rash. I don’t know what it was, but those 6 days, I lost 3 kgs and was on the verge of dying. I thought my life was coming to an end. I stopped eating, stopped going to the gym, lost focus on everything. I don’t know how I managed to get myself to work in extreme fever, and took only a day off. I went to my doctor and he said he could do a viral load test but that would result negative as I was on PEP and yes it resulted in negative as expected. My questions are in the backdrop of this whole saga and I am really hopeful that you can be brutally honest and tell me what I must hear now, and what I must endure to prepare myself for the worst.

1. Now that my PEP course is over, when at the earliest should I take a test. My doctor tells me 4 weeks but he also tells me that if I want to calm my nerves, I could do one in just about 2 weeks and that would give me some comfort. It will not be conclusive but it will be indicative. I have also read somewhere on the internet that I can do an antibody test right away and that it would be pretty accurate right now. I am only on day 4 after my PEP medication finished, as I type this. How quickly does the effect of PEP wear off and I can have a reliable result? I cannot possibly wait any longer. The anxiety will surely destroy whatever is left of me.

2. I know it only takes one unsafe encounter to change your life and that being a top I know my risk is lesser than it would have been if I was the bottom, but I still have to ask this. Can I be so unlucky to get infected from a positive bottom after one encounter who tells me he is not even on meds. Is the HIV virus so easily transmissible from ONE unsafe encounter? What do the statistics say ?

3. The symptoms, I am told, are never a reliable indicator of your status, but yet, there is a wealth of information on the web that speaks to early HIV infection symptoms. Also, many also tell me that anxiety brings these symptoms upon us. That said, I believe fever is experienced by most, but should I feel any comfort in not having swollen glands or a rash or a sore throat?

4. I have spent a lot of time on your website the last one month and appreciate the service you’re doing to people. I would surely like to donate to your cause. I have noticed on many questions that you give out the details for receiving donations. Just want to confirm if they are still the same.

I would really appreciate a response from you or others who can contribute to this..

Thanks,
Torontoguy79

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: Worried Sick in Toronto
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 01:55:09 pm »
How about for starters you take a nice deep and slow breath in and out right now. I mean it. Do it. And then do it a second time.

You did PEP at the right time and it has had a very high % of success. In terms of testing, your doc is right. You should test at 4 weeks past the completion of PEP for an initial result. If you test negative then re-test at 13 weeks for a conclusive result.

HIV is not easily transmitted and the insertive partner is at less risk than the receptive. But low risk is not the same as no risk. So you do need to learn from this experience. You can have sex with anyone you like regardless of their HIV status. But you need to do it the safer way. That means always and with no exceptions using a condom for anal intercourse. It doesn't matter how great the guy looks or what you think you know about his history. The insertive partner must always wear a condom.

Sure, get tested at 2 weeks if you want to if that will easy the waiting. Any negative result is encouraging but ultimately you will need to test at 13 weeks for a final result.

I urge you to give up beating up on yourself about the incident. Use it as a learning experience.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

Offline Torontoguy79

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 03:34:35 pm »
Thanks for your reply Andy

I really appreciate your prompt response.

I dont know if I have enough patience in me to wait yet another 4 weeks after PEP. Is it true that antibodies test at 2 weeks will not change or give a different result if re-done at 4 weeks or even 13 weeks?

Can you also comment a little on the symptoms I had? Is it true that ARS symptoms include fever + sore throat + swollen glands and all come at the same time?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 03:44:19 pm »
Toronto,

You're not very likely to end up positive over a one-time insertive incident, PEP or no PEP.

It doesn't matter if you have the patience or not, but you're just going to have to wait for the three month post-PEP mark for a conclusive result. Going by what I've seen in this forum, any tests done before that point are only going to satisfy you for a day or two.

So go easy on your country's health resources and don't test more than necessary. I would recommend not testing until the six week point as a six week negative is highly unlikely to change. A four week has a slightly higher chance of changing, but is an ok indication you'll continue to test negative. A two week negative result is nothing to sneeze at, but essentially means nothing.

I'm seriously not expecting you to end up positive over this. So please, try to cut the drama. All the stress and anxiety you're creating for yourself is only going to make you feel ill.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Torontoguy79

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 04:27:14 pm »
Hi Ann,

Its not drama. When someone puts himself at a high risk, it is natural to feel this way. I am anxious, apprehensive, and very, very scared. The last thing on my mind right now is drama. I waited for over a month to put out my experience here, and now having undergone PEP, I am more anxious to know where I stand. 6 weeks seems like a life time away given its only been 3 days since I finished PEP. Having those symptoms that I mentioned in my first post, is making this post worst. I cannot possibly resume my normal life till I know where I stand.

My original question remains unanswered. How quick does the PEP effect wear off. I took PEP and now its over. Can I not just go and have an anti body test to know where I stand? I always thought PEP would suppress the viral load count but it would not affect the anti body results. and if that be the case, then why do I even have to wait for 6 weeks? Just a question. Please dont think of this as drama!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 04:49:59 pm »
Symptoms are never a reliable means of determining HIV status. Never. So don't even go there. And if your so-called symptoms persist, discuss them with your doctor.

No, a negative result at 2 weeks is absolutely not sufficient nor does it have as much significance as a negative at 6 weeks.

You need to make a real effort to focus your attention on other matters in your life. And don't bother saying you're too worried to do that because I can tell you that kind of response is not going to fly here.
Andy Velez

Offline coldcatcher

• Standard
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 05:05:58 pm »
As Andy said there are many reasons why you shouldn't worry. You did the right thing by doing PEP. Don't place any significance on symptoms - I had a lot of symptoms and disease with really high fever, yet didn't have it.

My understanding is that the PEP suppresses viral load (if indeed infection took place) This in turn prevents or makes it difficult for the body to form antibodies against the virus during this period. Therefore, the window period effectively starts after PEP is stopped (rather than starting from the point of exposure). Based on this I would expect a viral load test to be the first one to pick it up, just as in the normal course of infection. This would be followed by an antibody response just as in the normal course.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 05:25:01 pm »
As Andy said there are many reasons why you shouldn't worry. You did the right thing by doing PEP. Don't place any significance on symptoms - I had a lot of symptoms and disease with really high fever, yet didn't have it.

My understanding is that the PEP suppresses viral load (if indeed infection took place) This in turn prevents or makes it difficult for the body to form antibodies against the virus during this period. Therefore, the window period effectively starts after PEP is stopped (rather than starting from the point of exposure). Based on this I would expect a viral load test to be the first one to pick it up, just as in the normal course of infection. This would be followed by an antibody response just as in the normal course.

Cold,

If you'd read the Welcome Thread as you've been asked to do eleventy squillion times you'd know that you are not permitted to post in any AMI thread other than your own.

You are hardly in a position to give advice to others.

MtD

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2010, 06:18:56 pm »
Cold, you need to keep your entries in your own thread. We have a firm rule about members in this section not commenting in threads of others.

Thanks for your cooperation.
Andy Velez

Offline Torontoguy79

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2010, 10:09:21 pm »
Thanks for your input Cold. Was just trying to help, and I appreciate it.

Fine.

Any, Annn, Matty: I will wait for a few more weeks before I do an antibody test. But what about the viral load test? Can I do that for my ease of mind, in a weeks time?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2010, 10:11:14 pm »
Toronto,

The ONLY PCR test that is approved for diagnostics is the RNA. However, no matter what the PCR result is, it still has to be confirmed with antibody testing. So why waste the money and resources?

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Torontoguy79

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2010, 10:42:22 am »
Thanks Ann,

Appreciate your prompt response.

I dont mean to be splitting hairs here but I have been (as expected) doing a lot of reading on the internet and Dr.Bob from body.com (who I believe would be as insightful as you guys) says something else:

http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/SafeSex/Archive/Treatment/Q165487.html

I quote from this link:

"PEP does not delay the immunologic response to HIV infection, i.e. the production of anti-HIV antibodies. It can, as I mentioned above, decrease HIV viral load. That, however, is not an immunologic response, but rather a direct measure of viral replication."

Such conflicting information makes me wonder if I should just go ahead and do a test at 2 weeks, or 3 weeks rather than waiting any longer ?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2010, 10:50:25 am »
You can test anytime you like.

Assuming you test negative as we expect, you will still need to re-test at 13 weeks for a conclusive result to confirm the earlier negative result.
Andy Velez

Offline Torontoguy79

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2010, 02:50:32 pm »
Andy,

I really appreciate the service you are doing to all "worried sicks" like myself.

So have we established that the anti body test results are independent of the PEP medications.

I am now on day 6 after having finished PEP and my anxiety has no limits. I so want to know where I stand as of today. If I would not have had fever few weeks into PEP, I would not have been this stressed out.

You say with such authority that you "expect" me to test negative, and I really hope that is the case, but really does make me wonder, given my risk of topping a positive guy, who wasnt even on medications, do you really think I have a good chance?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2010, 02:57:48 pm »
Toronto,

Yes, as the insertive partner you really, really, really do stand a good chance of still being negative following a one-time incident of unprotected insertive intercourse with a positive partner. Even without PEP, you would have had a very good chance of still being negative after a one-time incident.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Torontoguy79

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2010, 11:55:42 am »
Hi,

I am sorry for being back but I am very nervous. I cannot help but read about signs and then match them with what I observed.

High fever, chills, night sweats for 2 nights, slight rash on my arms and all of this appeared exactly 14 days after the exposure and went away in 6 days. If this is not indicative of real classic ARS, then what is? All this time I was on PEP, so it is mind boggling, if my PEP worked or not.

I am really, really scared.

I think I have it. I am 101% convinced and I feel like my life is coming to an end.

Can anyone please offer any insight at all? It has been one week since my PEP finished and I am extremely anxious.

Is it advisable if I go ahead and do an antibody test? If my PEP did not work, I am probably going to have a conclusive result if I test anytime now?

Offline Torontoguy79

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2010, 11:57:12 am »
I am hanging by a thread and I know what is around the corner now. I just wanted to add that the only sign I have not had are lymph nodes / sore throat. The rest has all been there.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2010, 12:03:23 pm »
Toronto,

There are many other illnesses besides hiv that can cause the symptoms you had. It's not very likely that hiv is what caused them them for you.

Go ahead and test if it's the only thing that's going to calm you down.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Torontoguy79

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2010, 12:10:30 pm »
Ann,

Your optimism brings tears to my eyes. Hoping such optimism for someone you dont know is trully inspriational. I am just convinced right now that I have it. Why? because several hundred websites I have been visiting last few weeks all say the same thing and my symptoms match exactly thiers.

How effective is PEP anyway? I dont know yet, but is it possible that if PEP doesnt work, one ends up in symptoms.

I dont drink but I had some alcohol the day before my fever arrived. I also exerted a LOT at the gym the same morning I ended up with the fever. I dont know if there is absolutely any connection between that and the fever, but is it not true that one of the most common ARS symptoms is indeed very high fever with chills?

My Dr. seemed not too worried but the harsh truth is that I had unprotected anal sex as a top with a positive guy who wasnt on any medications. I dont know what his viral load was. I am just thinking of the worst case. I dont want to be HIV. If I dodge it this time, I will never, ever, ever, make this mistake again.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2010, 12:21:24 pm »
Fortunately neither fears nor doubts are facts. A test result is a fact and we expect yours to be negative when you take it.

Meantime you can do yourself a big favor and stay off of surfing the net about HIV as it will only fuel your fears and all to no good purpose. You need to make an effort to focus on other things in your life. The waiting time will pass more easily than you may imagine is possible. And don't bother saying you are too worried to do that. That kind of response isn't going to fly here.

Andy Velez

Offline Torontoguy79

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2010, 11:12:47 pm »
I agree Andy. Just that waiting after PEP to know whether it kicked in or not is an ordeal!

I went ahead and tested at an anonymous site today with an INSTI rapid HIV RAPID test. It was only 9 days after my PEP finished so my guess (and fear) is that you will tell me it is simply no indication of my true status. Whilst it was a relief to test negative at this point, I don't know whether to be happy or be sad. yet.

The nurse who administered the test asked me if I had fever recently, any night sweats, diarrhoea, fatigue, aches, and answer to each question was a yes. That made me uber nervous before the test was administered, and I was almost certain that it was going to return positive, but it didn't. So now, I am confused.

Dr.Bob from body.com says antibody test doesn't get affected by PEP. is he right?

This also warrants the question, what exactly does PEP do to ones body? I had all ARS symptoms bang on at 2 weeks, almost like clock work and they all went away within a week. No lymph nodes or rash though, which the nurse felt are symptoms that come much later anyway. Does this mean, that if PEP fails, then one gets ARS symptoms? and then if that be the case, i.e. PEP was ineffective, then my antibody test should have been positive?

I am just so confused right now. I wish I was rejoicing the negative result right now, but it has only fueled more confusion in me.

Can anyone help? What does PEP do to ones body?

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2010, 11:55:57 pm »
Toronto,

You might have to wait a little while for your answer. A long standing member of the forums has died and we are mourning him at this moment.

You will forgive us if we let our grief come before your anxiety.

Someone will attend to your latest post in a few hours.

MtD

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2010, 06:52:16 am »
The recommended standard which we follow is for testing to be done at 13 weeks past the completion of PEP. Of course any negative test result is a good thing, but for a conclusive result you need to wait 13 weeks.

You need to get a grip and to stop allowing your self-pity and anxiety to rule the day. Your risk was a relatively low one to begin with as you have detailed it. Despite all of the drama here, I expect that ultimately you are going to test negative.

So you just have to wait, patiently or impatiently for a final test result. And that's the way it is. 
Andy Velez

Offline Torontoguy79

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2010, 10:24:29 am »
My thoughts and prayers go out to the him, and his family. I am really sorry for your loss.

Thanks for the response Andy, although I just find it very general, as is the case most of the times. I asked about how PEP works and what effect it has on the anti body results. Nonetheless, I feel your response was more to calm my nerves or to evade the logical reasoning; I don't know really.

I hope we can talk more about facts, numbers, statistics than just telling worried sicks like myself on here that "your risk was low, you will be fine".

sometimes, that just might not be true and can lead people who come here for help, to believe they are OK, while all along, they aren't.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2010, 12:07:08 pm »
Your test at the correct time will be conclusive. All the statistics and numbers one comes up with are just that NUMBERS. They won't tell you a thing about your status.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2010, 12:38:40 pm »
Toronto,

PEP works the same as any other antiretroviral - it stops the virus from replicating, therefore suppressing it. If the medication succeeds in suppressing the virus before it gets into certain "reservoirs" where it can hide from the meds, then the virus can be successfully eradicated from the body. This is why there is a time limit on initiating PEP and why the sooner PEP is initiated, the better. You started at 36 hours and the limit is 72, so I'd say you started early enough. 

I'm not so sure about Dr Bob's assertion that antibody tests are not affected by PEP. The body needs the stimulus of the virus's presence in the bloodstream in order to begin antibody production. If the PEP is taken soon enough, the virus could be suppressed quickly enough to be able to "fly under the radar", so to speak, and not stimulate antibody production.

If the virus manages to get into and hide in the reservoirs, that may be enough to stimulate antibody production, but I'm not sure on that point. I don't think most experts are either, and this is why the generally accepted testing window following PEP is three months post PEP. When PEP is stopped where the virus has successfully hidden out in the reservoirs, the virus will begin to come back into the bloodstream and replicate, thereby stimulating antibody production. This seems to be the accepted theory. (Although one that Dr Bob appears to reject.)

The symptoms of ARS are not due to the virus itself, but rather the process the body goes through when producing antibodies. Certain chemicals, notably interferon, are produced and interferon is notorious for causing flu-like symptoms. Just ask anyone who has taken synthetic interferon for the treatment of hep C.

So if your illness was a sign of antibody production, you would not have tested negative at nine days post PEP.

We cannot give you any firm numbers or statistics on how effective PEP is or is not. How would we get such data? You cannot deliberately infect people with hiv and give some PEP and others no PEP to see the outcomes. We do know, however, that in cases of very serious risk, when PEP is used, the person more likely than not does not become positive.

You had a risk, but one very much on the lower end of the scale. That, combined with the completion of PEP, means that you are highly unlikely to end up positive over this. There's nothing more we can add to that and you're just going to have to wait and see.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2010, 12:53:37 pm »
PS - examples of hiv reservoirs include the bone marrow and certain components of the intestinal tract.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Torontoguy79

« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2010, 10:24:04 am »
Thank you Ann for your detailed response. I believe that answers a lot of my concerns and questions.

I am now 11 days post PEP and am considering testing at 20 days, which would be roughly 3 weeks and then again at 6 weeks.

My neg test at 9 days did manage to lower my anxiety a little bit. I wish there was more research into post PEP testing as right now there seem to be many grey areas.

Does any one know that in Canada, can we get tests that combine antiGen and antiBody?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2010, 10:53:28 am »
Toronto,

The p24 antigen tests are only useful in the first few weeks of infection. You're past that point if indeed you are infected.

Again, you are highly unlikely to be infected.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Torontoguy79

« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2010, 04:20:01 pm »
Hi guys,

So a little update for you folks before D day.

It has been 16 days post PEP and I finally went in for a HIV test this morning. The results usually take anywhere between 3-4 days here in Toronto I believe. So now I will be waiting for the clinic to call me, cos if they do call me, its bad news. They usually call if the result is not right (So I am told).

My nerves have calmed down sine my last post here. Guess the 9 day post pep negative relaxed me a little as did your replies on here, but the real test was today.

Please pray for me guys!

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2010, 04:31:04 pm »
Hi guys,

So a little update for you folks before D day.

It has been 16 days post PEP and I finally went in for a HIV test this morning. The results usually take anywhere between 3-4 days here in Toronto I believe. So now I will be waiting for the clinic to call me, cos if they do call me, its bad news. They usually call if the result is not right (So I am told).

My nerves have calmed down sine my last post here. Guess the 9 day post pep negative relaxed me a little as did your replies on here, but the real test was today.

Please pray for me guys!

Why are you testing at 16 days post-PEP?

MtD

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2010, 04:54:33 pm »
You do realize that you need to get tested at 13 weeks past the completion of the PEP treatment?

Of course any negative test result is a happy thing even though you are testing way prematurely for a conclusive result. I guess you're just going to do what you want to do. It means wasting money and resources as well as stoking your anxiety each time you test.

You'd be much better off making a serious effort to focus your attention on other things in your llfe during the waiting time.
Andy Velez

Offline Torontoguy79

« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2010, 11:03:34 pm »
Ok I am confused now.

My Dr. asked me that I could do one at just over 2 weeks and it would be a good indication ???

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2010, 11:13:04 pm »
Ok I am confused now.

My Dr. asked me that I could do one at just over 2 weeks and it would be a good indication ???

A good indication of what? Sure test at 16 days but you won't be able to rely on the result. As Andy says, the testing guidelines require testing 13 weeks post PEP to rule out false negative results.

MtD

Offline Torontoguy79

« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2010, 02:12:11 pm »
25 days post PEP. If I was to seroconvert, would that be sometime now?

I tested at day 16 post PEP, but I am too chicken to go back to my doctor for the results. If I was Positive, they would have called but no call probably spells good news?

Waiting sucks.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2010, 03:11:45 pm »
All you are doing is making yourself nutz with speculations.

If you test negative at 6 weeks after having completed PEP then I would expect you in all likelihood to continue to test negative at 13 weeks.

And that's all I am willing to say at this point.
Andy Velez

Offline Torontoguy79

« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2010, 03:12:46 pm »
I have ended up with swollen lymph nodes, 4 weeks post pep. I also had pain in my left jaw and turns out there is a wisdom tooth coming out. Life just keeps getting worse.

Seeing my doctor tommorow for the test results. The secretary at the doctors office just called me for a "reminder". shes never done that before. so now, i am all the more confused and worried.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2010, 03:19:21 pm »
Toronto,

It's common for lymph nodes in your neck to swell when your wisdom teeth are coming in.

I'm still fully expecting a negative result. So should you.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2010, 03:46:39 pm »
I have ended up with swollen lymph nodes, 4 weeks post pep. I also had pain in my left jaw and turns out there is a wisdom tooth coming out. Life just keeps getting worse.

Seeing my doctor tommorow for the test results. The secretary at the doctors office just called me for a "reminder". shes never done that before. so now, i am all the more confused and worried.
The reminder calls and letters are common here and expected. The sign in sheet at the clinic asks if you received your call and letter. If I get a call from the doctor I begin to worry but after all these years that is starting not to bother me.

Offline Torontoguy79

« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2010, 04:53:31 pm »
I dont know what I would do without you guys.

Thanks for the prompt responses.

Offline Torontoguy79

« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2010, 04:39:01 pm »
Ok, so I have a little update.

I tested neg, 6 weeks post PEP. I hope that should be a good enough indication? My Dr. seems to think so but would still want me to test at 13 weeks.

I am however very relieved.

Moral of the story: Say no to bareback sex. Symptoms are never reliable. The only way to know is test!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2010, 04:41:26 pm »
Toronto,

I agree with your doctor. While a six week post-PEP negative is highly unlikely to change, you should test again at the three month point to be sure. Better safe than sorry.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Torontoguy79

« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2011, 12:32:13 am »
So I felt a little update was due from my end, incase anyone wondered what happpened to me.

I did test negative 3 months after PEP course. I have been extremely careful ever since...but to date, sometimes I feel who knows if I am really neg. Some tests just could be wrong ? .. I know I am being crazy and very finnicky, but hey, human mind works in strange ways.

For all those who may stumble on to my post, please be safe. its the only way to go.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2011, 08:17:59 am »
Toronto,

Honestly? We weren't wondering what happened to you. Know why? Because as you were repeatedly told, you were never likely to end up poz over your insertive incident, PEP or no PEP.

Thank your lucky stars, the powers that be, whatever.... just be thankful you're hiv negative and move on with your life. Use condoms in future and you'll stay hiv negative.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.