Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:35:57 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773198
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 513
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 487
Total: 489

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: risk of HIV infection  (Read 20251 times)

Offline bbcc2200

• Standard
risk of HIV infection
« on: January 09, 2007, 09:14:27 am »
I went to China for a business trip last week. My colleague brough me to a massage parlour after dinner on the last day of the trip . The massage girl gave me a HJ with happy ending. Subsequently another girl cut my finger nails with a manicure instrument. After I left the massage parlour, I found a little dried blood stuck on the skin around the nail on my right 1st finger.  The manicurist must have cut my skin using the instrument.

I am a bit worried that if the manicure instrument had been contaminated by a HIV infected person's blood   before cutting me.  Is there any chance I am infected in this way ?  Do I need a test ?

Richard

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: cut by a manicure instrument
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 09:24:50 am »
Richard, take a breath. And then read the lesson on this site about Transmission.

Your worries are full of ifs and none of them have any basis in HIV science. There's never been a documented case of transmission through the kind of incident you're concerned about. And you aren't going to make history by becoming the first. Really.

HIV is a fragile virus and does not remain viable once outside the body except very, very briefly, even IF there had been blood on the scissors and even IF the previous client had been HIV+.

Cheers, 
Andy Velez

Offline bbcc2200

• Standard
Re: cut by a manicure instrument
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 09:53:49 am »
Thanks for your reply.

Offline bbcc2200

• Standard
bite and HIV
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 12:47:03 pm »
Last week  , I went to an Asian massage parlor and received massage and Handjob from a girl.  Suddenly the girl bit my thigh when performing handjob on me. Perhaps she did this to stimulate me to ejaculate faster.
I saw teeth marks on the thigh after the bite but I am not sure if the skin was broken.

Can anyone tell me that if there is a risk of HIV infection from a bite like this ? Thanks for your help.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
Re: bite and HIV
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 12:51:15 pm »
Absolutely not.  No need to test for HIV over this incident.  Saliva has enzymes that destroy HIV, so it isn't an infectious body fluid.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2007, 01:06:38 pm »
Thunter is right on the money with this one. 

No risk at all.

I urge you to read the lessons on transmission to learn about how this virus is actually transmitted.
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2007, 01:13:13 pm »
To the bes tof my ability to research, I have only found two, possibly three cases of HIV where a human bite was suspected. These cases almost always entailed an end-stage AIDS patient with dementia and profusely diseased, damaged and bleeding gums biting a health care worker viciously.

And even then, given the number of human bites inherent in the healthcare field (particularly when working with dementia or other forms of mental instability) these few reports remain anecdotal.

As has been covered already, saliva contains a number of elements which inhibit HIV, rendering it non-viable. There was no risk of HIV in the situation you describe.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline bbcc2200

• Standard
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2007, 10:16:18 am »
Thanks

Offline dixieman

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2007, 11:12:21 am »
Well if your worried... why not stay out of the massage parlor... do your own handjob... and read information on how HIV is transmitted... and if your sexually active... get an annual checkup by a clinic and or doctor... run std test including hiv... you were more of a danger of passing an STD to the girl giving you the handjob to her than vice versa... learn how sexual diseases are transmitted...

Offline bbcc2200

• Standard
risk of HIV infection
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2007, 10:20:19 am »
I am a 50 years old male living in Hong Kong.

During the last 3 months , I have had sex about 10 times with different sex workers. All were protected vaginal sex with condom. However on some occassions, I noticed there were partly slipping off of condoms, but the penile head was still protected.

All these sex encounters involved receiving blowjobs, without protection.

Can anyone here tell me what is my risk of HIV infection ? Do I need testing ? Thanks

Richard

Offline RapidRod

Re: risk of HIV infection
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2007, 11:14:57 am »
First off Richard, you need to go back and read the Welcome thread and pay particular attention to the posting guidelines in this forum. You are NOT to start a new thread for each question and concern you have.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2007, 12:22:21 pm »
bb,

I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep all your additional thoughts or questions in one thread.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines. Thank you for your cooperation.

I also rejected the new account (username "strange") you applied for today. Please realize that this kind of activity is disrespectful of other forum members, as well as our moderators. People spend a considerable amount of time helping others in these forums. Using multiple accounts is at the very least annoying, if not deceiving and disrespectful of others. It is also against our Terms of Membership which you agreed to when you became a member. This information is also contained within the Welcome Thread, which you should have read by now. So really, you have no excuse.

You must realize that the answers won't change, no matter how many names you post under.

If you attempt to create a new account again, you will be permanently banned, no questions asked.

Getting a blowjob is NOT a risk for hiv infection, and condoms have been proven to prevent hiv infection, so no, you did NOT have a risk.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline bbcc2200

• Standard
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2007, 11:59:01 am »
Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Thanks for your reply too.

Offline bbcc2200

• Standard
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2007, 12:26:42 pm »
Hi , I have another question.

A week ago, I found a small flesh color bump on the base of my penis. The doctor at the local clinic diagnosed Molluscum contagiosum

My concerns is that every time I use condom to have vaginal sex with sex workers. I know I have nearly zero risks in contacting HIV in using condoms. However, the the Molluscum contagiosum (which is a open sore) at the base of  my penis is not covered by condom during having sex.  I do not know the HIV status of these sex workers.

Is it possible that the vaginal fluid that may contain HIV virus  enters my blood stream through the Molluscum contagiosum sore located at the base of my penis not being covered by latex condom ? I do not know the HIV status of these sex workers.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2007, 01:58:02 pm »
No, the moluscum condition you have described would NOT be a means of HIV transmission.

You needn't be concerned about that.
Andy Velez

Offline bbcc2200

• Standard
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2007, 12:07:08 pm »
I still have one worry on my previous contacts with sex workers.

I always use condom during sex with them. I have sex with the same sex worker for two times about 1 month ago.  She had a lot of vaginal secretion that wet my pubic hair duriing sex. I could see the white colored vaginal fluid stuck on my pubic hair after each sex contact. 

Then I removed the condom and wash myself in the bathroom.  During washing and bathing, it is possilble that the water flushed the vaginal fluid on my pubic hair to my penile head.  As I don't know the STD status of this sex workers, is it possible that the HIV in the vaginal fluid entered my peniile head during flushing with water ?

I lose sleep for past few days about this.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2007, 12:13:20 pm »
You are worrying needlessly. Totally.

HIV is a fragile virus which is not easily transmitted. Vaginal fluids on your pubic area would in no way pose a risk for transmission. Not even if the woman was HIV+, which of course you don't know to be so. HIV quickly becomes inactive when exposed to air AND the fluids which would  have been on your pubes would not be from the cervical area of the vagina. The cervical area fluids are where HIV would be if it's going to be there and you would not have been reaching that area with your penis. That's one of the reasons it's much harder for a woman to transmit HIV to a man than the other way around.

Give it up and get on with your life. Really. 
Andy Velez

Offline bbcc2200

• Standard
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2007, 12:52:56 pm »
Thanks.

I think I can sleep better tonight.

Offline bbcc2200

• Standard
Condom Broken
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2008, 10:24:43 am »
Just about 6 hours ago, I went to China and had sex with a commercial sex worker.

The condom broke just when I inserted my penis into her vagina. She realized the breakage and took my penis out at once.  The condom broke at the tip with my penile head exposed.  I thought  my exposed penile head had a brief contact with her vagina for less than 3 seconds.

Although she said she is free of HIV, I am still in doubt and quite worry now.

Can someone tell me what is my risk ?  Do I need testing or take PEP treatment ?

(Forgive my English as I am a Chinese in Hong Kong)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2008, 09:34:00 am »
bb,

I've just noticed your question has been left unanswered. Sorry!

You don't need PEP over this as it is very low risk. I've yet to see the insertive partner end up positive over a condom break.

It sounds like your condom broke immediately, before you even managed to enter the vagina. If this is correct, then you will not have been at risk at all because this wouldn't be any different to frottage, and frottage is not a risk for hiv infection.

However, if you managed to fully enter her, then you do need to test, although I'd fully expect your result to be negative.

Your condom most likely broke due to a lack of lubrication. Please read through all three condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use them correctly and with confidence. A correctly used condom rarely breaks.

I wouldn't sweat this if I were you. You can test to be certain at three months, but again, I fully expect your result to be negative.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline bbcc2200

• Standard
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2008, 10:06:45 pm »
Thanks Ann.

The condom burst when I just inserted my penis FULLY into her vagina.  She was at the top and I was underneath her .   She realised the condom burst and took my penis out immediatly.  Therefore my penile head only touched her vagina without protection for less than 3 seconds.  I could also see that my penile head (not covered by condom) was dry without her vaginal fluid.

I agree that the condom burst was due to dryness of her vagina without adequate foreplay and lubrication.

I also go to see a doctor in Hong Kong . He said the same as you that my risk is quite low.  I will get test after 2 months. 

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2008, 06:56:58 am »
bb,

It's always a good idea to have lubrication handy when using condoms. Sometimes women can have problems producing their own due to things like hormonal inbalances. Be prepared! And of course, lubrication is a must when having anal intercourse.

Again, it's highly unlikely that you'd become infected as a result of this condom break.

As a sexually active adult, you should be testing at least once a year anyway (and for all STIs, not just hiv) so you can consider your up-coming test to be the start of a healthy routine.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline bbcc2200

• Standard
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2008, 11:06:34 am »
Ann,  Thanks again for your opinon.   I will follow your advice to get test.

Offline bbcc2200

• Standard
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2008, 10:50:10 pm »
Hi Ann,

I just went to have a blood test (Elisa anti-body test) on the 42 days after my exposure of the condom breakage. The result is negative as expected.

Should I go to test again at 2  or 3 months  ?

Happy New Year !

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2009, 08:51:04 am »
bb,

You need to test three months after the incident for a conclusive result.

I don't expect your result to change.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline bbcc2200

• Standard
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2009, 12:55:54 pm »
Hi ANN,

Thanks for your advise for my recent condom breakage.

I have another encounter 2 days ago.  I went to a massage parlour in China two days ago and have protected oral and protected vaginal sex with a CSW.

Just after the protected  vaginal sex, the girl licked my anus (rimming)  and then inserted her tongue about half a inch inside my anus.

Is there any risk for transmitting HIV to me ?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2009, 01:45:31 pm »
Let's keep it simple about HIV and safety. If you consistently use a condom everytime for either vaginal and anal intercourse you will be well protected. Period.

Everything else is risky only theoretically. And being rimmed is absolutely no risk whatsoever for transmission. I can't help wondering if you have read our lesson on Transmission. It covers all the basics. But even if you don't take the time to read that, all you have to do is always use condoms for intercourse and you will be ok as far as HIV and sex is concerned.

Cheers. 
Andy Velez

Offline bbcc2200

• Standard
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2009, 09:25:36 pm »
Andy,

Thanks for your reply.  I am now reading the lesson on transmission on your web site.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2009, 12:16:50 pm »
Good. Keep those condoms and use them everytime and you'll be fine as far sexual risk in terms of HIV transmission.
Andy Velez

Offline bbcc2200

• Standard
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2009, 04:29:08 am »
Hi Ann and Andy,

Thanks for your  advice on my risk of HIV due to condom breakage in November 2008. I have been test negative for HIV three months after the incident.

Now I have another question that I need your help.

Yesterday, I went to China again. Consequently I had condom protected sex with a massage girl . After about 10 minutes of protected vaginal sex, I could not ejaculate. The gril pulled out the condom from my penis with her left hand. Then she finished me with handjob with the same left hand.  As she had touched the outside of the condom that lined with her vaginal fluid just before the handjob ,is there that a risk for HIV for me ?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2009, 06:16:32 am »
Richard,

You've been coming here long enough now to be able to answer your own question. We're not here to hold your hand everytime something slightly unusual happens with a sex worker. (the condom break question was fair enough, but this one? ::)  )

The little bit of vaginal fluids that may or may not have actually been on her hand in NO WAY posed any kind of hiv threat to you. As you've been told previously, hiv is a VERY fragile virus that quickly becomes damaged and unable to infect when outside the human body. It is primarily transmitted INSIDE the human body, as in unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse where the virus never leaves the confines of the two bodies. Get it? Good.

And no, you do NOT need to test over this incident.

Keep using those condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you really will avoid hiv infection. It's as simple as that.

Ann

edited for an annoying typo
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 06:20:16 am by Ann »

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline bbcc2200

• Standard
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2009, 10:25:03 am »
Ann,

Sorry for asking this question that I should have known the answer.

Thanks for your advice again.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.