Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:50:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 313
Total: 313

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Question... What is a "case worker"?  (Read 3127 times)

Offline randym431

Question... What is a "case worker"?
« on: December 31, 2008, 10:53:47 pm »
I hear of "case workers" helping people from time to time.
What is a case worker? What do they do? How do you get one?
Do you need one? Who pays them?
I know.. thats a lot of questions for an idiot   ;D
Diag Sept 2005 VL 1mill, CD4 85, 3%, weight 143# (195# was normal)
Feb 2021, undetectable, weight 215#

Offline allopathicholistic

Re: Question... What is a "case worker"?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 03:18:16 am »
Hi Randy. In my ASO, there are caseworkers (called intensive case managers) and other professionals who are similar, but who do not have  that title. (like "lite", half the portions, half the calories)  To get an intensive case manager in my ASO you need to have a shitload of compound problems (health, housing, legal all at the same time), otherwise you are told to handle your issues on a piecemeal basis with the appropriate workers within the ASO. For example if you only have a few questions about HASA (that's the City of New York's safety net for pozzies) and SSDI then they let you speak with a knowledgable person for like 10-20 minutes. I tell you guys this from personal experience. Part of their job is to educate you on bureaucratic  lingo (e.g., SSI, SSDI, LIS, Part D I could go on forever)  and  nip any misconceptions  you have in the bud by speaking with you (not at you) and getting a feel for how well you understand your current and future needs as a poz person. My ASO has very good take-home glossaries to help newbies.  My hospital has a social worker - I think in her case she has a masters degree in social work and someone could call her a caseworker and she'd be fine with it. I asked her how she gets paid and she said "in different ways". My 2 cents is that if someone has that "lost newbie" feeling, they should definitely get with a caseworker. I am eternally grateful for the ones I've had in the past 3 years  - they're good listeners, they have good intuition and I think they are all around good people. If I didn't get a mini-education from the staff at my ASO I think it would have taken me 3 or 4 times longer to get shit done (bureaucratic shit)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 03:21:30 am by allopathicholistic »

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 07:24:11 pm »
The case workers at my ASO (AIDS Service Organization) are called case managers, or actually, medical case managers.

Their job is to help the client access needed services, as well as determine what services the individual may be eligible for.

In rural areas, like where I live, they are also known to act as go-between with doctors, helping the clients get access to medical care, transportation, food banks (or food vouchers), assistance in obtaining medications and prescriptions, labwork, etc.

They also can assist a person who needs rental assistance, help deciphering Medicare or Medicaid. or help them get enrolled in the state's medical insurance pool, which provides health insurance coverage for PWAs.

The duties and services vary from state to state.

HUGS,

Mark

"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 07:38:40 pm »
I hear of "case workers" helping people from time to time.
What is a case worker? What do they do? How do you get one?
Do you need one? Who pays them?
I know.. thats a lot of questions for an idiot   ;D

I see others have explained just what a Case worker is, just get a good one (someone that knows what their doing) and if you do need one, ask a lotta questions about what you don't understand, and you'll be fine.............case workers/ASO's are also paid by the State or County they work for along with annual Federal Govt. Support as well (Like Hopwa, Ryan White, ADAP)........and no your not an idot for asking  ;D
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 07:40:27 pm by denb45 »
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Seadickrun

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 02:57:30 pm »
I went to a new ID in December and he strongly urged me to call his favorite case worker.  I was feeling cooperative so I gave her a call and arranged an appointment and told her I would bring in some state pool insurance forms that I could download.  When we met, she told me those were great but she wanted me to apply for DSHS because it was better than what I had in my hand.  Again, feeling cooperative (but not hopeful) I agreed.

She called me this week to inform me that my doctor had sent back the HIV confirmation letter to her with an AIDS diagnosis checked off.  This was news to me because none of my other doctors ever told me I had the "A" word.  She suggested I apply for disability and informed me that I now am eligible for the ASO's housing program.  I went to DSHS yesterday and they gave me six months of food stamps without batting an eye (I was only able to get one month on my own) and she hooked me up with some other goodies that I didn't know about.  She is also going to contact a legal services group to see if they can help me see my kids (its been 8 years) and get my child support reduced.  I have contacted the same group without any luck.

I'm convinced that when a case worker calls an agency it has more clout than Joe Blow calling and in addition, my case worker is not going through my problems so she is probably less frustrated and easier to deal with.  I highly recommend case workers if you can get a good one and I now have learned that the best way to get one is to ask your ID for a referal.  I have been asking the same ASO for help for several years without luck but when I called and said Dr. wants you to be my case worker - bammo!

p.s.  I am probably the only person in history who was excited and overjoyed to be told that they had AIDS but its the best thing that has happened to me in the last 8 years:) 
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 03:06:35 pm by Seadickrun »

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2009, 03:42:34 pm »

I'm convinced that when a case worker calls an agency it has more clout than Joe Blow calling 

Tha'ts 100 percent true in my experience. It seems like when *I* call I can be on hold for 20 minutes or worse but when "L" calls (I don't wanna give her real name) while I'm sitting with her in her office, she seems to get "right through" or nevers on hold for more than 30 seconds. So I wonder "Gee, does this woman have special dial-in numbers or something?" (Very grateful all the same) I like it when L helps me ......and she says she likes being a social worker.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.