Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 08:07:04 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773473
  • Total Topics: 66370
  • Online Today: 379
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 293
Total: 294

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Are Oranges as bad as grapefruit ?  (Read 10989 times)

Offline weasel

Are Oranges as bad as grapefruit ?
« on: February 06, 2015, 12:13:13 pm »

Howdy do !

I have been eating oranges  a lot lately .

Bob was reading an article that said  oranges effect
       cholesterol mecations ; been taking cholesterol meds for 6 months now , I        am also  wondering if they effect
        HIV MEDS .  I have searched , I don't get far  ???

thank you ,   
                                                           Carl

I'm trying to get my Summer Body back ' will need it for the AMG Gathering Memphis 2015  :)   
" Live and let Live "

Offline initforlife

Re: Are Oranges as bad as grapefruit ?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 12:21:02 pm »
I haven't read anything on oranges. Carl. but just don't eat the dog treats!  ;)
sometimes it is best to say nothing at all. then to offend

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 04:32:31 pm »
I, too, haven't heard anything about OJ and HIV meds.

googling "grapefruit hiv meds" gave me this aidmeds article
http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/Grapefruit_Medications_1667_23319.shtml
Certain Meds Mixed With Grapefruit Juice Can Be a Fatal Cocktail
The Canadian scientist who first discovered that grapefruit can alter certain prescription drug levels in the body has released an updated list of 85 medications that may cause such reactions, 43 of which can cause fatal interactions, The New York Times reports. A clinical pharmacologist at the Lawson Health Research Institute in London, Ontario, David Bailey, PhD, updated his list to reflect releases of new medications over the past four years. The list includes drugs to treat HIV, high cholesterol and cancer, as well as immunosuppressants, psychotropic medications, synthetic opioids, birth control and estrogen.

How often such reactions occur is up for debate, but Bailey stresses that however rare they may be, anyone taking prescription medication and consuming grapefruit juice or grapefruit, as well as pomelo, lime and marmalade, should consult the list of drugs and monitor for symptoms that may indicate a side effect of the combination. Timing of grapefruit consumption is not relevant; it must be avoided entirely to avoid the potential interaction.

To see the full list of medications, click here.
http://www.cmaj.ca/content/suppl/2012/11/26/cmaj.120951.DC1/grape-bailey-1-at.pdf

this article says oranges reduce cholesterol
http://www.joybauer.com/high-cholesterol/best-foods-for-high-cholesterol.aspx

HOWEVER this one warns about orange juice and several meds
http://blackdoctor.org/3071/why-can-t-i-take-my-pills-with-orange-juice/
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline weasel

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 05:49:22 pm »
   I'm more confused  ???  I guess I will eat oranges .
   My cholesterol   is threw the roof !

As for Mental MEDS  , I need all the help I can get .

Thank you Leatherman  :)

Initforlife , It was only a spoon full ................  ;D

Weasel 
" Live and let Live "

Offline AusShep

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, 09:24:51 pm »
   I'm more confused  ???  I guess I will eat oranges .
   My cholesterol   is threw the roof !

Are you taking meds for the cholesterol?  If not, do it.  Not worth taking the cardiovascular risk without it.

Offline weasel

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, 02:35:05 pm »
Are you taking meds for the cholesterol?  If not, do it.  Not worth taking the cardiovascular risk without it.

Hi AusShep  , Nice to meet you   :)

I am taking Fenofibrate  for 6 months now .

I take Medicine for HIV   and Cholesterol   , also  supplements :   B-complex , Vitamin D & Niacin .

Along with mental meds  :P

As   Anne would say :   I am paying for fancy pee  ;D

It may be  in my head , but I feel better using them .       

I will find out  on my next visit if the Fenofibrate is working  ,   Last time my labs were all screwed up  :o

Hoping to live to 93 ,
                                                                                             Carl
" Live and let Live "

Offline phenethylamine

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2015, 12:35:44 am »
Ok, So the "Grapefruit effect" has a lot in common with antiviral booster meds like Ritonavir, Cobicistat..but way, way weaker. Certain families of molecules in the citrus family are believed to act as mild intestinal p-glycoprotein inhibitors (pumps foreign substances out of the body)... and P450 enzyme inhibitors (mostly CYP3A4, which seems to be the most aggressive enzyme involved in destroying antivirals.)

I've seen some concern, that this "interaction" might make HIV meds ineffective, but it's much more likely it will make them stronger... Some people might be sensitive to this effect, and for them it can result in increased side effects, and rarely toxicity. It's hard to predict sensitivity, cause everyone produces different amounts of enzymes. If you eat grapefruit, and don't notice anything... then you are most likely OK. If you start feeling sick, simply stop.... but treatment failure from grapefruit juice seems very unlikely cause it hasn't been found to "induce" enzymes, only "inhibit".  Most of the contraindications involve increased liver enzymes not decreased.

Things get a little more complicated with boosted meds. Since grapefruit juice is a weak booster, it might "compete" with the stronger prescription booster, leading to inadequate boosting. Haha so in other words... the weak inhibitor, might inhibit the stronger inhibitor, by stealing it's place. Woah tongue twister. Alternatively, if it doesn't compete... it might have an additive effect,.. so if the prescription booster just left your system, and you throw in another booster... you might become overboosted, LOL forgiven my lack of technical terms. This isn't exact science and its hard to predict the kinetics of such things through the body.

As for the original question. Grapefruit seems to be the most potent in the Citrus family. Pomelo might be second. After that it's hard to say... mother nature doesn't just produce one chemical that  can be easily measured and compared, she produces an entire family of Furanocoumarin's of which there are tons, and tons of similar molecules, with slight changes that do the same thing with slight differences in duration/potency...so the total effect is the sum of its parts... and lots of those parts are still being studied/discovered...so I don't want to say oranges aren't as bad... cause who knows what they will find in three years. ...but like... so far.... no one has really had any issues with them. It's called the "grapefruit effect" not the "citrus effect".

I'm not really familiar with cholesterol meds... but I found an interesting link with Naringenin a different molecule in grapefruit, oranges that inhibits CYP1A2 that might have effects on cholesterol. Will look into it later.

Finally, just want to say hope I didn't overwhelm anyone with all of this. In my personal opinion...I don't think a single grapefruit is strong enough to do much, but risk probably increases if you like... press 24 of them into a single drink and that's all you drink. Maybe watch out for sports supplements, they sometime add orange extracts or synthetic versions to boost caffeine.

I tried my best to explain things in my own words. Any other questions just ask.
I'm stopping here due to headache. LOL

Offline terrymoore

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2015, 09:01:43 pm »
Hi Weasel,
I also have a cholesterol problem. My "borderline-high" cholesterol shot through the roof as soon as i started treatment and the doc put me on statins. After around 2 months it was back to normal range (except my HDL is still too low). However, i have also made some major life-style changes - i have reduced alcohol intake by about 90%, i train cardio 3-4 times a week, weight-lift 3 times a week, and have changed my diet - lots of fiber, no animal fats, no white starches and lots of beans (basically i eat like a goat now  :-\). Of course i occasionally indulge in a bbq'd rack of ribs or slice of pizza, but compared to before, i'm like a monk!
The reason i am telling you this, is that i have been made aware of the great debate surrounding statins. A friend of mine (he is HIV-), has had a cholesterol problem from a very young age, and after years of pills (and their side-affects), he decided to make a dramatic life-style change. I think it is a bit extreme, but the end result is he no longer takes statins. He eats tons of fats, eggs and other stuff the doctor told me to stay away from, and his numbers are great for the first time in his life. He also looks much better and lost tons of weight and claims to feel much better. So, my point here, is not to convince you to stop your cholesterol pills - in fact, i still take mine. My point is really to ask whether you have made any life-style changes - food, exercise etc? I believe that these changes may be just as important as the pills for your cholesterol in tackling that problem.
Regarding the grapefruit/orange - i don't have much to add. I used to eat pomelo's on a regular basis and have now stopped - i guess better safe than sorry.

Offline pozitiveandblessed978

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2015, 06:49:59 pm »
Oranges are citrus but should be fine consult your pharmacist. 

Offline NY2011

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2015, 11:43:21 am »
my cholesterol number suck. total cholesterol is 164.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 11:51:35 am by NY2011 »
10/26/2011 - SEROCONVERSION (fever+rash, 104 degrees F)
10/31/2011 - CD4= 154  VL>500,000 
10/31/2011 - started on Truvada+Prezista+Norvir
12/14/2011 - CD4= 750 VL=6412 (45%)
01/27/2012 - switched to Atripla
04/23/2012 - CD4=1,221 VL= 140  (47%)
06/22/2012 - CD4=1,224 VL= ud    (49%)
12/18/2012 - CD4=1,031 VL= ud    (51%)
09/16/2013 - CD4=1,151 VL= ud   (49%)
03/26/2014 - CD4=1,050 VL= ud
11/25/2014 - CD4=1,335 VL= ud
12/01/2015 - CD4=1,115 VL= ud (55%)
11/22/2016 - CD4=1,071 VL= ud (52%)
06/01/2017 - CD4=1,014 VL= ud (53%)
switched to Biktarvy in 2018
04/23/2019 - CD4=1,072 VL= ud (52%)
01/15/2020 - CD4=  925  VL= ud (50%)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.