Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:21:54 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 373
Total: 374

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: What do people think of Poz Magazine?  (Read 59643 times)

Offline Dachshund

What do people think of Poz Magazine?
« on: August 21, 2007, 07:26:29 am »
I won't start out by posting my opinions (though I have many) of Poz Magazine. I'll start by throwing out a few questions to the group and see where it goes from there.

Do you read it?

Quality of writing?

Relevance?

Does it represent the face of Aids?

edited for spelling
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 08:24:55 am by Dachshund »

Offline RapidRod

Re: What do people think of Poz Magazine?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 07:30:45 am »
I read it when I go to the clinic, of course I don't have time to read it all, but of the stories that I have read I liked it.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 08:48:52 am »
I used to get a free subscription.  Not sure why they stopped it, but I suppose I could get it again if I tried.  The articles they have I like though. 
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Jerry71

• Biktarvy CD4 637 04-17-18
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 09:00:40 am »
It is OK. But most of the stuff that is published on POZ magizine is also posted on there site for your reading.

Also by the time I get the copy here at my home the next month is already coming out on the POZ site itself.

Then again my subscripition also has ran out and not going to renew it anytime soon.

Offline Gary85741

• Native Virginian living in Tucson AZ
    • Good guy, good heart
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 09:22:03 am »
[in part]:
Do you read it?
Quality of writing?
Relevance?
Does it represent the face of Aids?

I scan it because it's sent to me pro bono.  Some years ago it used to be more academic...with articles about medications and the physiology of HIV.  In recent years that seems to have been replaced by pop culture or silly stuff which doesn't really interest me.  And it usually only features asymptomatic-looking people...like the ones in the drug ads tackling Mt. Everest or whatever with Sustiva in their fanny pack.  There's a group of us out there that can't climb mountains and have our functional capacity limited by HIV...but we are never featured or barely mentioned.  Relevance of the magazine to me therefore is minimal or nothing anymore.  Probably it's geared to people in their 20s or 30s now...I'm older than that and have different interests.

Gary
Poz since '89. 
Current regimen: Rescriptor, Emtriva, Kaletra, Invirase, Acyclovir, Lisinopril, Lipitor, Prilosec, Valium, Testim, Nandrolone, Loperamidr, Marinol.

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 09:32:13 am »
I've never read it. I'm not sure where I would even find an issue.

Dan J.

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 09:52:17 am »
I cancelled my subscription & I never read the POZ website. Why should when I get everything I need right here?

Offline ademas

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007, 09:55:33 am »

And it usually only features asymptomatic-looking people...like the ones in the drug ads tackling Mt. Everest or whatever with Sustiva in their fanny pack.  There's a group of us out there that can't climb mountains and have our functional capacity limited by HIV...but we are never featured or barely mentioned.  Relevance of the magazine to me therefore is minimal or nothing anymore.  Probably it's geared to people in their 20s or 30s now...I'm older than that and have different interests.

Gary

Precisely why I lost interest...I got older, and my asymptomatic years (and asymptomatic-looking years) are well behind me now. 

Offline Iggy

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2007, 10:03:30 am »
I read it when I go to the clinic

In recent years that seems to have been replaced by pop culture or silly stuff which doesn't really interest me.  And it usually only features asymptomatic-looking people...like the ones in the drug ads tackling Mt. Everest or whatever with Sustiva in their fanny pack.  There's a group of us out there that can't climb mountains and have our functional capacity limited by HIV...but we are never featured or barely mentioned.  Relevance of the magazine to me therefore is minimal or nothing anymore.  Probably it's geared to people in their 20s or 30s now...I'm older than that and have different interests.

I cancelled my subscription & I never read the POZ website. Why should when I get everything I need right here?

These three sort of sum up my feelings and reading pattern with the mag - though I do look at the poz website on occassion.

I'll will add that when I do look at it that I often get the feeling that it is more about a public face of POZ people for those who are curious or not poz than it is for poz people themselves.

I'm not trying to be nasty - just giving an honest feeling that I get  everytime I skim through it....and actually that is all I ever desire to do: skim it. 

Between my google reader, aidsmap and these discussions boards I get much more releveant and richer information from other resources.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 10:08:21 am by Iggy »

Offline HealthyMomma

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2007, 10:58:33 am »
I get it sent to me for free...I cant remember how I signed up for it though....I actually really like it and look forward to getting it each month. I get lots of info and like to read about how all kinds of people are affected by this disease. The only thing I dont like is that they have alot of gay people, which is fine, but I wish they would show more young, straight, females like me. Other than that, I really like it.

Offline Iggy

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2007, 11:03:40 am »
The only thing I dont like is that they have alot of gay people, which is fine, but I wish they would show more young, straight, females like me. Other than that, I really like it.

I think the issue with the magazine (from the publishers point of view) is sort of tied into this a little.

We may all be poz but we all do not have the same issues and trying to put out one general magazine for all poz people...well - is I guess to make it as generic and one size fits all for all people as possible, which unfortunately doesn't serve any audience specifically well.

This is one of the reasons these forums are so good - one can dive into specific information regarding their specific concerns.

I guess it's a broader issue of print vs. the internet in general than Poz mag specifically.

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2007, 12:15:21 pm »

I do not subscribe to the Magazine. When I have my quarterly blood tests, I will also, just scan through the issue, in my doctors office. I prefer the "Positively Aware" magazine, and subscribe to that one. I also like the layout of their website. Easy to navigate.., and I find the articles informative and helpful. I also have plenty of other sources of HIV information that I subscribe to, through publications or through Email alerts. It can keep me busy, keeps my inbox active !

http://www.tpan.com/

Ray

Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2007, 12:25:39 pm »
I think it's cool and represents the faceS of HIV.

However I think the AIDSmeds forums have much more "nittygritty" - a magazine can't compare in that area. "Overheard in the Forums" is a reflection of that

I like the fact that we can run a search in POZ or the forums, with the 2 different search functions.

Offline Lwood

• Here's Lookin At You....
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2007, 01:24:24 pm »
My first exposure to POS magazine was when I went to my local Clinic for an 'Intake  Appointment ' a few days after I was diagnosed.
i sat in the waiting room, and there was a rack full of POS ....   my first thought was  "You gotta be shittin me " then I opened it up, and got the Reyataz ad, the talking one   " Hey We're at The Beach !!! "  I still have it ,  really a surreal day  that was...   
I stopped taking it seriously after they  published the winner of a short story contest , about a bugchaser ... Luckily they also have months old copies of " People " in the waiting room.., however I usually snag a copy of National Enquirer on the way just to be sure ( news flash: Rachel Ray is a Mean Drunk !! )   and leave it behind as a public service ....   but Ive done gone and digressed
"Fortunately, I Keep My T Cells Numbered For Just Such An Emergency"
  -Either Foghorn Leghorn or Johnny Cash

Offline Bucko

• You need a shine, missy!
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2007, 03:18:26 pm »
I get it sent to me for free...I cant remember how I signed up for it though....I actually really like it and look forward to getting it each month. I get lots of info and like to read about how all kinds of people are affected by this disease. The only thing I dont like is that they have alot of gay people, which is fine, but I wish they would show more young, straight, females like me. Other than that, I really like it.

Oh yeah...that hot, 30-something MILF poz demographic is much too underrepresented in favor of all those queers.

Brent
(Who wonders how something like this can happen on AIDSmeds)
Blessed with brains, talent and gorgeous tits.

Blathering on AIDSmeds since 2005, provocative from birth

Offline Iggy

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2007, 04:27:55 pm »
Working with photographers, writers, designers and doctors, our team chronicles the HIV epidemic, both in the States and overseas. We publish POZ magazine eleven times a year, POZ.com, Real Health magazine, Combocards, and a variety of other health care resources. POZ is published by Smart + Strong, a division of CDM Publishing, LLC.

The above is what is listed in the About Us section of the magazine (http://www.poz.com/aboutus.shtml) which is what is normally considered the Mission Statement of a publication.

I was a little taken back by how little they offer about their mission. 

Maybe it is too general and generic, but something does bother me about it.  Maybe because it talks more about how often it is published, who it is published by and what else they publish then what they are writing about is the issue in my mind.

I don't know.

But something just feels wrong to me about that being their Mission statement.

Something.

Offline penguin

• The Penguin Whisperer
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2007, 04:47:19 pm »
What do I think?

more Vogue than virus.

HIV, it isn't a lifestyle. The people living with it, proper living with it, their strength don't need perfect teeth, feel-good soundbites or beach backdrops - it'd light up the (non air-brushed) page all by itself, if you gave it a chance. 

probably works for the market it appears to be aimed at - young, recently diagnosed (american) people, who aren't looking for particularly in depth commentary/information (granted, this non-technical language could be seen as one of its strengths. And one could argue that the "normalising" appeal of a magazine which (often seems to) styles itself after a mainstream glossy is another, for this market)

Me, though, I'll stick to my natap and htb. Research news and pk data don't make a girl feel quite so, er… un-shiny

Kate
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 04:55:04 pm by penguin »

Offline Iggy

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2007, 04:51:48 pm »
Was gonna modify my last post but think it deserves a new one:

I realize upon rereading my post what a pessimistic bastard I am coming across as with POZ.  I have my issues with them and am not shy about it - but I think they deserve some respect for putting our issues out there. 

Not everyone has access to the internet, not everyone is as experience as some of us in certain issues, and not everyone can deal with some of the harsh realities of HIV and AIDS without some sugarcoating... frankly I am grateful that they are trying (and I do think trying hard) to get the right mix out there of both serious and lite for the various populations that make up the poz community.

As we see here on this board (and I admit my role in this) it is a thankless job.

I do wish that they took a less glossy and pretty focus than what they have now and perhaps put an equal amount of grit as gloss in each issuem but I do think they are doing in print what most others wouldn't even consider worth trying.

That is worth my admiration and respect no mater how much I disagree with certain of their techniques and decisions.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 04:55:26 pm by Iggy »

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2007, 05:02:36 pm »
Matty the Damned can only give a foreigners view of Poz magazine, but then it does claim to be a journal of record for the pandemic both in the states and overseas.

As I said in the other thread, I think Poz is cheap, glib and sleazy. Not in production terms but with reference to content. It's articles seem to be light handed puff pieces or patronising undergraduate efforts (eg the latest editions articles on Jamaica) which represent a "face" of AIDS that exists only in the minds of the senior editorial staff.

It's pretty clear that the leadership of Poz magazine want to re-invent a pandemic that is neat, clean, attractive and well managed. Not lipo'd, disabled and unattractive.

The inconvenient face of AIDS need not apply.

MtD

Offline Bucko

• You need a shine, missy!
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2007, 06:56:46 pm »
I've never read it. I'm not sure where I would even find an issue.

POZ magazine markets itself as a give-away glossy at doctor's offices, pharmacies and ASOs. It is not a newsstand-type publication, and I've never heard of anyone paying the cover price for it.

Matty the Damned can only give a foreigners view of Poz magazine, but then it does claim to be a journal of record for the pandemic both in the states and overseas.

As I said in the other thread, I think Poz is cheap, glib and sleazy. Not in production terms but with reference to content. It's articles seem to be light handed puff pieces or patronising undergraduate efforts (eg the latest editions articles on Jamaica) which represent a "face" of AIDS that exists only in the minds of the senior editorial staff.

It's pretty clear that the leadership of Poz magazine want to re-invent a pandemic that is neat, clean, attractive and well managed. Not lipo'd, disabled and unattractive.

The inconvenient face of AIDS need not apply.

MtD

I find it highly enlightening that POZ is supported by Big Pharma, who has much at stake in perpetuating the whole "HIVlite" image of AIDS, even to the ridiculous point of suggesting that living with HIV need never effect either your bank account or your reflection in the mirror.

As such, the cranky, sallow-faced first-generation of guinea pigs are the last people anyone would want representing the front-line of a customer base. Such quasi-successes as we are indeed "inconvenient faces".

Blessed with brains, talent and gorgeous tits.

Blathering on AIDSmeds since 2005, provocative from birth

Dan J.

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2007, 07:04:23 pm »
Maybe someone should start an HIV/AIDS magazine focused toward long term survivors. I always got the feeling POZ was directed more to the newly infected anyway. Just an observation...

Dan

Offline ademas

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2007, 07:38:46 pm »

I find it highly enlightening that POZ is supported by Big Pharma, who has much at stake in perpetuating the whole "HIVlite" image of AIDS, even to the ridiculous point of suggesting that living with HIV need never effect either your bank account or your reflection in the mirror.

As such, the cranky, sallow-faced first-generation of guinea pigs are the last people anyone would want representing the front-line of a customer base. Such quasi-successes as we are indeed "inconvenient faces".

fuckin' A and BINGO.
I think we have a winner.

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2007, 07:39:43 pm »
Hey Hal,

I used to read it at the clinic.  Poz and A&U were in the waiting room and some times I would go early to catch up on my reading.

Then I moved and the magazines were limited to satff only in my new clinic, but were available at no cost to persons living with HIV, through the mail.  However comma there were less than 100 people living with HIV, county wide and the postal clerk in that small town was not bound by confidentiality as the clinic staff were.  A staff member at that clinic referred me to AIDSMEDS.com.  Personally, I now see those magazines as decoration in the waiting rooms of the clinics.  A medium where drug companies can purchase 4 color, full page advertising to hawk their wares, direct to the people living with HIV.

I view drug company advertising to be self- serving since the days of "Carters Little Liver Pills".  One of my favorites is currently on TV... Cialis for erectile dysfunction.  They say "If you have an erection lasting 4 hours or longer, call your doctor".  Don't call the doctor... call me! Have the best day
Michael

Offline jack

• fomerly the loser known as Jake
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2007, 08:00:54 pm »
never read it,dont want anyone to think I have aids and my dr. has golf digest.

Offline Lwood

• Here's Lookin At You....
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2007, 09:01:31 am »
Not to kiss up to anyone, but I think the best thing POZ  has going for it is its association with AIDSmeds ..
"Fortunately, I Keep My T Cells Numbered For Just Such An Emergency"
  -Either Foghorn Leghorn or Johnny Cash

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2007, 10:29:57 am »
Come to think of it, there are a LOT of med ads in Poz.  I haven't gotten in since 2006, and I don't really miss it a whole lot.  I agree that the new ads for medication seems to be all these people who are on the adventure of their lives.  That definitely doesn't fit most of us long term survivors.  I find this a bit insulting. 
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Dan J.

« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2007, 10:41:26 am »
Come to think of it, there are a LOT of med ads in Poz.  I haven't gotten in since 2006, and I don't really miss it a whole lot.  I agree that the new ads for medication seems to be all these people who are on the adventure of their lives.  That definitely doesn't fit most of us long term survivors.  I find this a bit insulting. 

They have to glamorize living with hiv by putting pretty people in their ads going off to some exotic vacation because the TRUTH won't sell the myth that HIV is nothing more than a manageable chronic condition. I wonder how many of these people in the HIV medication ads are ACTUALLY HIV+?

& POZ Magazine purpetuates the myth by running these ads...

Offline Iggy

What's the next step?
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2007, 10:59:25 am »
I have a question to throw out to everyone in regards to both the mag in general and related to the story on Jesse.

What are we who have issues about the coverage and focus of the mag prepared to do about it beyond this message board?

I think there is a general (though not unanimous) agreement that the magazine does not reflect the reality of most of our lives and a desire to see a greater balance between having a positive outlook and the darker reality for many of what it means to live a life as a positive person.

Do we request a meeting (whether face to face in NY) or a virtual one on the board?  Do we issue a public letter to the editor of POZ?
Do we issue a letter to the Poz Advisory board and request their attention?

Most importantly - do any of us volunteer to be available for public interviews with the publication?  I am being extremely mindful of myself here and my fear of public exposure, but I am weighing it against my want to effect a change that I think is needed.

I don't have an answer and I don't pretend to be the strong and brave face of this, but I think it is time to do something beyond just getting mad.

What is everyone's thoughts?

Dan J.

« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2007, 12:14:40 pm »
I think we should flood their mailbox with letters to the editor not just about Jesse's cover story but the overall direction the magazine is taking. If I want  People magazine, I will pick it up at the grocery store.

Offline mjmel

« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2007, 12:23:25 pm »
Never read it either.

Mike

Offline Dragonette

• Spring symptoms
    • NotPerfectAtAll
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2007, 12:24:14 pm »

more Vogue than virus.

couldn't be a better way of saying it, but look at the editor. As a woman, I find that I can identify with gays and African Americans in Poz more than the 2 faces they use to represent me as a female. They doesn't represent me, and certainly not the side of me that is poz. When I want glamour, I read Glamour.
"If you keep one foot in yesterday, and one in tomorrow, you piss all over today". Betty Tacy

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2007, 12:30:53 pm »
The above is what is listed in the About Us section of the magazine (http://www.poz.com/aboutus.shtml) which is what is normally considered the Mission Statement of a publication.

I was a little taken back by how little they offer about their mission. 

Maybe it is too general and generic, but something does bother me about it.  Maybe because it talks more about how often it is published, who it is published by and what else they publish then what they are writing about is the issue in my mind.

I don't know.

But something just feels wrong to me about that being their Mission statement.

Something.

Something?  Like perhaps that there isn't one?  

Yes, you "chronicle the HIV epidemic, both in the States and overseas. We publish POZ magazine eleven times a year".  That much I should think would be assumed from a magazine named "POZ".  It says absolutely nothing with regard to what drives them to do this and what goal they hope to acheive by doing so...or who they would like to reach.

Once again today, I am like Iggy.  The absence of a Mission Statement with any substance leaves me cold.  

It essentially just says, "We publish this, we do it this many times a year and we also publish these other dealies over here".

How insightful.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 12:33:13 pm by thunter34 »
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2007, 12:36:21 pm »
And for the record:

AIDSmeds.com is dedicated to providing people living with HIV the necessary information they need to make empowered treatment decisions. The founder and some of the writers of this web site are living with HIV, and we know first hand the challenges of learning how to fight this virus. By offering complete, but not complicated, up-to-date info, AIDSmeds.com seeks to help those that are both new and old to this challenge, and to remain a powerful resource for years to come.

AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Dragonette

• Spring symptoms
    • NotPerfectAtAll
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2007, 12:37:24 pm »
when I wrote my previous comment I didn't yet see about the new cover of poz. That's why I wrote that the gays present me as poz better then the women on the banners.

That's what you get with a combination of high profits, and a cross over from mainstream glossies in the editorial front.

"If you keep one foot in yesterday, and one in tomorrow, you piss all over today". Betty Tacy

Offline Robert

« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2007, 09:36:22 pm »
iggy and tim are right on.

Poz is just a vehicle for drug advertisements in Dr. offices.

robert

Offline Jerry71

• Facebook
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2007, 09:38:19 pm »
Way to go Robert it is about time. :-*

Offline Lisa

• Formerly known as sweetieweasel/Joined Nov. 2004
    • http://www.myspace.com/lisanowak58
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2007, 10:00:49 pm »
I pick one up each month when I go to the pantry. I don't necessarily read the entire mag, but do skim the things that get my attention.
I am an overweight, liposdystrophied, 50 year old divorced single mother of three, with dementia issues, and NOT afraid of being completely out there.
They can send Ms. Chew to my house any day.

PS...and by the way, I read that article about Jamaica and had no idea that things were that bad there. It all sounded pretty frightening for the gay population there. My GAWD! I just couldn't imagine living in that kind of fear every day.
No Fear  No Shame  No Stigma
Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you have.

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2007, 10:02:21 pm »
It's glossy and slippery... like its pages.

Hmm... every now and again my doctor's office has them there, and I usually pick up a copy, flip through it discontentedly, and then take it home with me so the cats will have something new to rip to shreds.

As it is, it's perfectly acceptable when it's
1) there, and
2) free.

But there's not much too it.  It's sort of like... AIDS!  Don't worry, be happy!  Things will get better naturally!  Don't worry!  Shut up, sit down!  Go with it and be happy!

It's sort of like Stepford AIDS or something. 

I've suspected for quite some time that the copious amounts of drug ads and the shiny, happy people living with HIV (I suspect I'm one of the shiny happy people, but I cover up for it by being ill-tempered in general) are more than casually related to each other... but I've yet to put my finger on it.

Oh, and it's written at a fourth-grade reading level and its articles don't go nearly indepth enough.  It's like reading US Weekly without the amusing Paris Hilton bits.

Plus, a lot of you guys write better.
Your tastebuds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2007, 10:14:12 pm »
In all fairness Poz has one good quality. It's gentle on the buttocks.

MtD

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2007, 10:22:01 pm »
It does not match the content of its counter part, aidsmeds...  Discontinued the subscription because it just didnt seem worth it..

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2007, 10:29:17 pm »

It's sort of like Stepford AIDS or something. 

Benj,

This is the best terminology I have heard in a long time!   

What was that little magazine we used to read in elementary school?
"HighLights" -- anyone remember that?     Anyway, that's what came to mind......
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 10:31:04 pm by AlanBama »
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2007, 10:35:46 pm »
Thanks!   :D

I remember Goofus and Gallant.

Your tastebuds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!

Offline asaint

« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2007, 10:39:44 pm »
More Ad's then content   its just a money machine for  CDM Publishing, LLC
6/11 VL <50   CD4 (9%)   CD8 (54%}

Offline Lisa

• Formerly known as sweetieweasel/Joined Nov. 2004
    • http://www.myspace.com/lisanowak58
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2007, 10:45:49 pm »
O,O,O,......I used to love doing the hidden things puzzle picture.
No Fear  No Shame  No Stigma
Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you have.

Offline Jerry71

• Facebook
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2007, 10:57:25 pm »
Now I understand where the $19.97 went to when I had to pay for the 10 issues I get each or somewhat every month. It pays for all the ads.  :o

It is so neat there is this light switch in the middle of the booklet. " This isn't the only switch...

44 page magazine has 18 ads in it for $3.99.

Offline whizzer

« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2007, 11:00:58 pm »
Stepford AIDS is a good description.

Or HIVneyland.  It's HIV without all those pesky, farting, vomiting, MRSA infected people with the funny looking faces, bellies, and backs.  Just look at the covers.  They're HOT, they're HIP, they're PROFESSIONALS, they're STRAIGHT, they're GAY, they're WOMEN, they're MEN, but they are never, ever, UGLY, or frail, or sick looking.

But I do skim it when I go to the ID clinic.  Primarily to look at the drug ads.  I like to look at them, for some bizarre reason.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2007, 11:03:36 pm »
But I do skim it when I go to the ID clinic.  Primarily to look at the drug ads.  I like to look at them, for some bizarre reason.

Yeah.  So do I...because they are usually filled with hot looking guys doing fun things in exciting places that I wish I could afford to go to.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2007, 11:06:06 pm »
The Truvada ad:  "You've worked hard to get where you are....

you deserve an HIV med that's taken once a day."

1) first part of the statement:  TRUE

2) second part -- I wouldn't care if I had to take it FOUR times a day, if it didn't make me feel so damn bad!
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Jerry71

• Facebook
« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2007, 11:11:59 pm »
He knows he has HIV. He doesn't know his HIV puts him at risk for kidney disease.

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2007, 11:41:00 pm »
Stepford AIDS is a good description.

Or HIVneyland.  It's HIV without all those pesky, farting, vomiting, MRSA infected people with the funny looking faces, bellies, and backs.  Just look at the covers.  They're HOT, they're HIP, they're PROFESSIONALS, they're STRAIGHT, they're GAY, they're WOMEN, they're MEN, but they are never, ever, UGLY, or frail, or sick looking.

Since you feel so strongly about it, why not take things a step further and start a thread in Off Topic inviting forum members to post lipo or MRSA or whatever self-pics (like, the antithesis to the Utter Narcissism thread started by Bucko) and entitle it "Hey Regan, nominate me for the next POZ cover!" ... Then contact Regan and ask her to look at it.

That's called extra action. Emphasis on the word extra because you voicing your opinion is already action. Better to light a candle than curse the darkness or whatever the saying is. I seriously don't understand why sssooo many feathers are ruffled over this

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.