Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:28:09 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 368
Total: 369

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: My brother just tested positive.  (Read 5172 times)

LovinMyFamily

My brother just tested positive.
« on: October 24, 2010, 12:47:52 am »
Yesterday was one of the worst days of my life (& my brother's). When I got the news that he tested positive I was devastated (and completely uneducated)! I have a 3 year old and a 4 month old whom he has babysit and I immediately went to wondering if he could have passed this on to them. I felt horrible for feeling this way so I decided to do some research on my own. I love my brother and we are extremely close. I have supported him from day one. I was one of the first people he told he was gay. I have always been supportive of him and I don't want to change that now. I just want to educate myself and be there for him. I bought a multivitamin already and have been researching for his diet and exercise. Does anyone know the reasoning behind why the pamphlet he has says no soft drinks? Is a single multivitamin enough? (I did get one without iron because I read that he didn't need that unless told by the Dr.) Again, I am trying to get info. I want to be completely involved in all his labs and I'm going to his support group with him when he starts. This website is great and I hate that there is a need for it but I am glad that it is here. I got encouragement from reading about the long term survivors whose HIV has never transitioned to AIDS. I am completely shocked and heart broken but I WILL be strong for him!!! We will get through this together!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 07:08:37 am by LovinMyFamily »

Offline Snowangel

Re: My brother just tested positive.
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 01:14:39 am »
Hi Lovin-

Sorry to hear about your brother's status and thanks for caring enough to check info for him.

I have been poz since 94, had my first child in 98 and my next 3 in 03.  I had 3 babies at one time, this is a high risk pregnancy in normal circumstances(high risk in general, not high risk HIV infection) and all of my children are fine. Your kids are fine and always be fine.  Unprotected sex, needle sharing and mother to infant while breastfeeding are the most common ways of transmission.

My guess on the soda is that it is not good for you in general, it's all crap, if he starts on meds he needs to get used to drinking more water.

Oh and if your brother happens to transition to aids in the future, that doesn't mean it's all over. I was diagnosed with aids when I had my threesome, 8 or 9 years ago.

Stay strong and keep your sense of humor.  Laughter IS the best medicine.

Snow

Of all the things you wear, your expression is the most important

The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..

One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

One thing you can't recycle is wasted time.

LovinMyFamily

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 06:59:44 am »
Thanks for your story. Seeing that you went on and had 4 healthy children is very uplifting. After all I have read I believe that many people have a huge misconception about HIV.  I get a little OCD about things so when something happens I feel like I need to research and find out all I can about it. Also, if you don't mind I have another question. I have been reading on all the websites but they all say something different. My brother was in a relationship for 3 years and it ended about 9 months ago. Is there anyway that his ex has the virus?

Offline Snowangel

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 10:06:30 pm »
Your welcome!

When did he find out his status?
Of all the things you wear, your expression is the most important

The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..

One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

One thing you can't recycle is wasted time.

LovinMyFamily

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 03:05:58 pm »
He found out 10/22. Yesterday, 10/25, he had is CD4 count & viral load done. They said CD4 will be back Friday but VL will take a couple weeks. Is that normal for it to take so long? He is going through a clinic though because he is 21 with no insurance. They are helping him apply for grants so he can get his meds when needed and all his medical care. We are very thankful for that!

Offline zach

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 01:27:07 pm »
very sorry to hear of your brothers diagnosis. it's great that you support him, continue to do so. we all need love, and hugs help alot. the sense of loneliness can be overpowering, but as others here have reassured me, things get better. encourage him to get on this site, it has been a haven for me.

my own experience has been that i no longer have friends, my father has said i should hurry up and die, my children no longer speak to me, their mother just asked questions on the disposition of my estate... my previous partner held me and cried, then when her test came back negative i havent heard from her again. all this is not the easy way to cope

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.