Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 12:06:57 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37649
  • Latest: MSB92
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773264
  • Total Topics: 66345
  • Online Today: 361
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 284
Total: 285

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Fascinating Queens, NYC congressional election and it's national ramifications  (Read 2824 times)

Offline Jody

Yesterday we had what amounted to a truly fascinating Queens, NYC congressional election and it's national ramifications are, I believe, huge.  First, a bit of history regarding this area, New York's 9th congressional district that covers a chunk of Queens and Brooklyn.  It has not sent a Republican to Congress in almost one hundred years.  Manhattan has its fair share of Republicans and Conservatives, Wall St. money and upper east siders and old money New Yorkers on Park Ave.  But Queens and Brooklyn had old time Democrats with the belief that at least that party did the bidding of the working man much more than Republicans.  It was passed down in these parts for generations.  When Clinton ran for his first term presidency the crowd one day in Forest Hills where he campaigned did a real emotional rush toward him, after twelve years of Reagan and Bush in the White House, and he seemed overwhelmed by it I remember seeing on TV later and took note as I live right next door.  But a combination of interesting factors came into play in this election.

First we have many people who are obviously distressed, and rightfully so, as their lives have been radically altered for all the obvious reasons by unemployment and under-employment and its often corresponding lack of health care and all the stress that brings.  So change of some kind and not the same old, same old came into play and that is why Republican (Tea Party for the most part) business man Bob Turner was able to defeat the Democrat, David Weprin, endorsed by Clinton and Cuomo and the New York Times.  The fact that this election sent a strong message to Washington and by extension to Barack Obama is quite obvious to even the most casual political observer.  Also today when a politician speaks out against unions, the right of employees to bargain collectively, pensions, and even the "entitlements" of Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security in some places it seems to get them to the top, sickeningly so.  

Also in play and being a reform Jewish person (very reform  ;)) I also found quite interesting the observation pundits have made that also coming into play was the strong support for Turner from the Orthodox Jewish communities, mostly in Brooklyn which typically vote as a block and to conservative leaning but less Orthodox Jews as well.  Weprin, the Democrat who happens to be Jewish himself came to at least one and perhaps more of the annual celebration fundraisers we have each January for our Queens Pride parade.   The sadly inevitable, but often typical result of the passing of gay marriage legislation in any state is the knee jerk reaction against it by religious and conservative groups and some felt the need to send a message to New York Governor Cuomo and to Obama and the Democratic party against gay marriage.  Some religious and sadly bigoted Christians and Jews used the fact that Weprin supported gay marriage, perhaps even tepidly, as a reason to vote against him regardless of any good work he has done in the past here in Queens as a local politician.

Also interesting to note is that this was a special election held because Anthony Weiner basically abdicated as there was that silly and overblown issue of his well, Weiner being seen in his shorts all over the Internet.  So this powerful Democratic DC politician representing our community had to give it all up, the people be damned in the process.  Very interestingly was that on the day of the election Weiner was spotted by a sensationalist New York tabloid leaving his home in Forest Hills with boxes.  It was said he is moving to Greenwich Village.  I wouldn't deny anyone the privilege or the fun of living in the Village, but under the circumstances, if true, it did give off the vibe of a rat leaving a sinking ship.  Hopefully that is not the case for my community and that Wiener can recover from his debacle, silly as it was.  The district, by the way may be merged as New York state is losing two Congressional seats very soon.

But Queens, with lots of bedroom communities if you will, only 30 minutes from Manhattan, but still 30 minutes from Manhattan has been struggling with shuttered shops, fewer good paying jobs and a little more malaise I would say, a microcosm of society today for many good people who deserve better. So indeed Washington, and for that matter New Jersey and Colorado and California and folks in every state took notice of the fact that an unabashed Republican conservative came in and won in this neck of the woods where Republicans used to get eight percent of the vote typically.  Kind of a kick in the shin in my mind. >:( :( :o

Jody
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 10:08:03 pm by Jody »
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline weasel

Jody . It is too bad a Wiener   fucked up the whole soup  :o

Even worse is that people move to the other side so easy !

I love New York , Always have !

The whole system is fucked !   

Hopefully it will return to normalcy one day .

Weasel
" Live and let Live "

Offline Jody

Hey Carl...Also coming into play was former Mayor (troublemaker) Ed Koch who came out in support of Turner in order to show up Obama as Koch and obviously others felt Obama is not supportive enough of Israel.  While this would not be a major issue in most parts of America it was enough to perhaps tilt the election here toward Turner.  Now it is said Koch may campaign against Obama here in New York as well as Florida and other states that have significant enough Jewish populations to make a difference perhaps. 

Strange politics indeed!!!

Jody 
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
The US government should support the creation of the Palestinian State, its been the official US policy goal for years. It that state happened, the rich arab states could pour money into it and it the government wasn't too corrupt create a fairly decent country in not too much time. Universities. HIgh tech. etc.  I would think that a functioning Middle class Palestine would soon enough be doing so much trade between LEbanon, Israel, Jordon, maybe the Emirates, that they would become strange bedfollows, surprising a lot of old timers.  Money talks. Intellectual capital from Turkey to Egypt to the Gulf, maybe including Iraq, could be a powerful economic region and these blood hatreds would make less sense and loose some of their power.  Take away the 3 religions and the cultures could work very well together.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Robert

Jody

Thanks for the cogent analysis of the special election in Queens.  I've been following it out here on the far west coast.  I think it's a shame that Weiner could be so loose with his leisure time but I think that's a major problem with our elected politicans:  too much free time.  From Wilbur Mills and  his antics with Fannie Foxx  in the Tidal Basin to Weiner posting his junk on th internet,  it's obvious these guys just have too much time on their hands. Unfortunately, those of us with God on our side are the ones with the most to lose.

Anyway I just hope  this Turner fellow is an "understanding" Republican who understands the underlying pathos of the Jew and the general electorate.  If he's a teabagger, he's doomed.   Let's hope this vote reflects  more the frustration with the immurity of the incumbant rather than the proud waving flag of conservatism.  I'm keepincg my fingers crossed this is the case.  I'm just not sure of what Turner stands for.  Let's just hope he's a tiny biit progressive.

Roberf

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
The US government should support the creation of the Palestinian State, its been the official US policy goal for years. It that state happened, the rich arab states could pour money into it and it the government wasn't too corrupt create a fairly decent country in not too much time. Universities. HIgh tech. etc.  I would think that a functioning Middle class Palestine would soon enough be doing so much trade between LEbanon, Israel, Jordon, maybe the Emirates, that they would become strange bedfollows, surprising a lot of old timers.  Money talks. Intellectual capital from Turkey to Egypt to the Gulf, maybe including Iraq, could be a powerful economic region and these blood hatreds would make less sense and loose some of their power.  Take away the 3 religions and the cultures could work very well together.

Where are the rainbows and lollipops Pollyanna? 
I'm all for the power of positive thinking, but I have to ask -- Is there any oxygen at all on your planet??

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Egypt and Israel have been strange bedfellows for decades because of money.
The only reason the US and the Saudis are in bed together is money - oil.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.