Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 09, 2024, 06:47:01 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773453
  • Total Topics: 66366
  • Online Today: 390
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 236
Total: 238

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: October Nightmare  (Read 4521 times)

Offline MarkintheDark

October Nightmare
« on: October 22, 2018, 04:41:36 pm »
Hi guys...idk if it's reasonable that I can keep this short, but venting helps here as it has with a couple friends.

I'm sole caregiver to an elderly mother who had an MI two months ago.  Help was limited post-discharge, but I managed to take full charge of her medical, including appointments, meds, etc.  However, what I know from my own history is that I can only do that a limited time until I'm affected.  NO ONE FUCKING BELIEVED ME.  After a few weeks I'd successfully delegated stuff to her church ladies, an eldercare agency, etc., while I wrapped up control of her DPOA stuff, concluding, in particular, I would NOT be her nurse, therapist, handyman, maid, etc.  Nevetheless, my proximity to her and her perpetual colds finally exacerbated my COPD 2½ weeks ago, putting me in the ER first with Albuterol and 12 hours later I was intubated for 36 hours.

In my 63 years, this is the worst hell I've ever experienced.  If you've been intubated, you know they have to bring you back to remove it.  I could not communicate, could not breath, could not gesture.  Word fail to describe the horror and sheer panic I felt.  And, yeah, I find myself replaying the tube removal over and over.

I felt first hand exactly what I believe so many of my friends experienced 30 years ago.  I also felt the outrage that so many people believe AIDS is no longer a thing.  And that includes people with agencies who have apparently no concept.  I've lost about 20 lbs.  I don't recognize my body.  I'm in nearly constant pain, have trouble being mobile - though that's improving - and tire easily.  My arms are full of needle sticks.

I'm lucky to have a few around me who are willing to believe me that I AM SICK and I NEED HELP.  Many, if not most, others are in denial that there's anything serious going on.  On contacting my case manager, he cried to me about his mother and some dental procedure, even while I literally yelling at him I needed food assistance. The agency felt it was appropriate to send over a couple bags of food...one filled with large legumes - as though I was supposed to make a salad - and another full of donuts and cakes. Another staffer expected me to see their doc the next day...when I couldn't even fucking move.  And an agency pharmacist, while I'm desperately trying to arrange delivery of my meds, wanted to argue with me about what WASN'T available and why. 

Eventually, yes, I got help.  But I have had to scream, yell, and raise hell before anyone would listen.  It's like, to them AIDS does not exist any more.  As though we're all happy, perky seniors on single pill regimens.  As though my generation died thirty years ago.  No one ever goes to hospital.  No one today ever dies.

The hospital docs told me to rest for at least four weeks...and few with the agencies respect that unless I'm a complete asshole about it.  Imagine they'll be shocked that the steroids have tanked my numbers "when I was doing so well."  Whatta load of ignorant goddamned crap.

That's all I got right now.  I came home only seven days ago.  Got my ID doc tomorrow and I think I'm ok to drive a couple minutes.  But that's about it.  Hell, just doing a sitzbath to proactively curb the pain takes an hour.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 04:48:22 pm by MarkintheDark »
HIV dx - 02/93
AIDS dx - 07/01
Rilpivirine/Cabotegravir guinea pig since 01/17

Offline harleymc

Re: October Nightmare
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 08:28:18 pm »
Matey I'm sorry to hear you have been doing it rough.

Hope you recover soonish.  Hugs from downunder

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 10:59:36 pm »
Sorry you have gone through all this.
I agree, nobody wants to say the "A" word any more.
I hope you are on the mend.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline guitargal

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 02:04:25 am »
I am so sorry. There is such little help , for any elderly or disabled. Forget about AIDS. I feel the same way. I could hardly function. The ASO was of no help. I told the nurse practitioner how I felt that no one wants to say AIDS.  I am not just HIV +. Just because the blood tests look good, I feel really bad, extreme fatigue and pain where I can't eat let alone shop and cook. Wasting. I am not clinically depressed. I am depressed I can't do anything. Cant work. Social security.. A joke. Sold my stuff. Sleeping on my son's couch because I can't afford a place to live.
And their answer is antidepressant and therapy.
At the AHF clinic they have a video that shows happy people all over the world fighting hiv... Yeah, meanwhile us older survivors are isolated, alone , starving,  can't drive or keep a car maintained. and ASO's do nothing with the funding they get. If I get better I will help someone.
What a long strange trip it's been

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.