Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 02:16:10 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773225
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 623
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 396
Total: 397

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: still losing weight! HELP!  (Read 6034 times)

Offline Paulette

still losing weight! HELP!
« on: March 08, 2010, 09:13:29 am »
Hello everyone
well for the past  years i've went from 156 down to 110 pounds.. i cant gain weight at all.. i"ll manage to gain 2 but then lose 4... what's going on? my doc put me on marinol over 2 yrs ago.. and i've become quite the smoker too if you know what i mean... i eat really good... but i'm still losing weight and this is bothering me...i look great, but when is it going to stop.. my doc has checked  everything twice and there isnt any answers that explain it... can anyone help?   trying to gain 20 pounds; before i blow away....
Paulette
I have HIV; it doesn't me;)

Offline veritas

Re: still losing weight! HELP!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 09:40:46 am »

Paulette,

Gaining weight is certainly difficult for some with hiv. Here are some tips from Tufts Unerversity for gaining weight. You are doing some of them, add those that you are not doing and see what happens, as long as you have ruled out any other medical problems as you stated:

http://www.tufts.edu/med/nutrition-infection/hiv/health_weight_loss.html

Also, what is your BMI (body mass index). You might be ok with 110lbs.

v

Offline darkerpozz

• I'll be with you in a sec...
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 07:07:04 pm »
  It's funny how one man's curse is anothers candy.The thought of a nonaddictive weight loss not in pill form or butt slippage does sound enticing but without a stop button, bummer. Hang in there, things turn. 

Offline Fondoo

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 07:42:29 pm »
Hi Paulette,
   Have you ever tried Yoga practice? Yoga can do a lot for organ function and hidden imbalances in the body. I practice Ashtanga,It's a very deep and demanding practice but it has addressed issues like my sleep disorder,ADD,digestion,compressed spine ect. Just a thought and wishing you the best.
  Tracy

P.S. I love ladies with little bods!  ;)

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 02:07:49 am »
So I always thought it was Asthanga yoga, but the internets seems to be happy referring to it as Ashtanga, Asthanga, or Astanga.  Confusing to say the least.

Offline antibody

• "every man thinks his burden is the heaviest"
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 01:04:08 pm »
Boost plus or Ensure with extra calories can help. You must drink 3 or 4 a day plus 3 high calorie meals can help add a pound. You need 1,000 extra calories a day on top of the calories you need to maintain your current weight. So I'd say you need a 3,500 or 4,000 calorie a day diet to gain a pound a week.
Timbuk      <50/ 794  CD4 10/06 
                 <50/ 1096 CD4 3/07
                 <40/ 1854 CD4 4/09

Started Atripla  7/14/06
Switched to boosted Reyataz Truvada 3/28/07

*Ask me about Medical Marijuana and how it can help you!*

Offline Nestor

• What we love, we shall grow to resemble.
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 03:27:23 pm »

The single biggest aid to weight gain is milk--and butter, and cream, and any other dairy product you want to name.  I would make these things a significant part of my daily diet--obviously we're talking whole milk here, not low-fat!  (I have the opposite problem--I love these things, but since I can't seem to stop gaining weight, I need to limit the amount of them I eat.)  If you could get good, local Jersey milk from grass-eating cows that would be ideal.  Eat whole wheat bread spread with lots of butter--butter so thick you can leave tooth marks in it; melt generous amounts of butter on vegetables and potatoes.  Drink two or three glasses of milk a day. 

The second suggestion I have is to eat lots of nuts.  A medium-sized bag of raw almonds---a size you might eat as an afternoon snack--has about two thousand calories.  Walnuts have even more calories than almonds.  Besides, nuts are one of the healthiest foods out there. 

I am sorry to say that I do not agree with the suggestion of Ensure.  It is little more than sugar, refined oil, and chemicals.  There are too many good foods that are rich in calories for me to understand why we would need to fill up on junk. 

Good luck--I wish there were an exchange program where those of us who can't seem to lose the extra pounds could give them away! 
Summer 2004--became HIV+
Dec. 2005--found out

Date          CD4    %       VL
Jan. '06    725    25      9,097
Nov. '06    671    34     52,202
Apr. '07    553    30      24,270
Sept. '07  685    27       4,849
Jan. '08    825    29       4,749
Mar. '08    751    30     16,026
Aug. '08    653    30       3,108
Oct. '08     819    28     10,046
Jan '09      547    31     13,000
May '09     645   25        6,478
Aug. '09    688   30      19,571
Nov. '09     641    27       9,598
Feb. '10     638    27       4,480
May '10      687      9    799,000 (CMV)
July '10      600     21      31,000
Nov '10      682     24     15,000
June '11     563    23     210,000 (blasto)
July  '11      530    22      39,000
Aug '11      677     22      21,000
Sept. '12    747     15      14,000

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 03:31:48 pm »
Screw Ensure.  Buy Isopure.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.