Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 05:40:32 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773294
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 718
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 694
Total: 694

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: curious  (Read 17089 times)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: curious
« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2010, 09:38:10 am »

if I were the offending type the slave reference could be touchy but...

Sorry, darker, absolutely no offence intended. I was letting my inner kinky hang out. :)

I agree with you when you say "it all seems scarier than it needs to be". If you read the blog entry I linked to above, you'd know that in the early days of my diagnosis I imagined all sorts of scary things that might happen if my status were known. None of them ever came to pass. It's the fear of the unknown. Sometimes our imaginations are our worst enemy.

Only you can decide what's right for you, but the majority of people I know who are out about their status have found it's a huge relief - and none of the fears they (we) had before being out ever amounted to anything.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2010, 10:52:11 am »
i hope the day when i feel "what the fuck, it's who I am" comes quickly.
why wait? LOL I had that attitude loooong before I found out I was poz.

When I came out in the 80s, I was taking a bold step in the southern US because of the religious prejudice against homosexuality. Many of my older gay friends (older by only 5 yrs or so) had actually gone through marriages of convenience to hide from the prying condemning eyes, and the nagging concerns of their families. I thought I was lucky for the times to have changed so much that I didn't have to marry and could just be "gay".

Sure there's been a bit of backlash (never underestimate the power of a redneck to be stupid LOL); but my motto is "if you're not paying my bills, then I don't give a shit what you think about my life. Pay my bills and THEN you can tell me how to live". So far no one has ever taken me up on that offer. ;) (dang it! LOL)

So when I turned poz - and in the early 90s that was as good as saying you were already dead - I had nothing to lose by hiding the fact. I had already seen how people had hidden cancer in the 70s (whispering about it and calling it the "big C", etc) and how by the 80s, it was no longer a hidden disease. So although I don't run down the streets of America screaming that I'm a "pozzie queer", I see no reason to NOT tell people when the subjects comes up, that I'm attracted to men or that I'm infected with HIV and have been very sick with it in the past. I tell them just as if I would tell them if I had diabetes, cancer, ms, etc.

With my sort of "you-ain't-paying-my-bills-so-fuck-your-opinion" attitude about life, health and happiness, of course, I told all my family and friends when I found out I was positive. But like I said in 1992, that meant a lot more than it does today. Easily within the next year my partner grew very sick. Between all the trips to the doctors, and both of us dealing with thrush, wasting, AZT anemia etc, it would have been too hard to cover up the problem and not worth hiding the problem to the people that cared about and loved us.

Many people today remain in the closet, and so haven't learned the way disclosure can be liberating (but then all people aren't gay and many won't even have this chance for self-growth by bucking societal views, norms and prejudisms.) They are therefore, ill prepared for this kind of medical disclosure with stigma related to it. In a similar way as to how many people used to stay at home and quietly die from cancer too, many people stay quiet about their HIV and suffer in silence.

Sure there's been a bit of stigma from disclosing my status; but I had already come to terms with that by coming out. Until those ignorant people pony up the moola to pay my bills, I don't care if they are haters. Their prejudisms, stupidity and hatred will eventually be their undoing, so I'm happy to let karma deal with that type of person.

But when there's not stigma, telling can be liberating, and telling can be an educating experience. More often than my disclosure turning bad, I find disclosing (openly, honestly, not sheepishly, with a sense of backbone about you) often leads to an inquiring mind asking about the disease, the transmission, and the prevention. Every time I work at the health booth that my ASO sets up in schools, churches, and fairs, I find that, rather than pushing back against any hatred or stigma, my open attitude leads to helping spread knowledge and hopefully that knowledge (and the rubbers I pass out LOL) are leading to fewer cases of HIV infection.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline tommy246

• Standard
« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2010, 12:04:09 pm »
The bottom line is that everyones circumstances , lifestyle, community, friends, family , personal needs etc are so different there is no right or wrong here . I have told my wife and brother and will tell no one else i am perfectly happy with that.
Some people in the general community are still very niave about hiv and just dont understand it , how we live with it or how its passed on and are just scared of it .
I dont need to tell anyone my personal business on any level healthwise, financial etc , some people are just more private than others.
jan 06 neg
dec 08 pos cd4 505 ,16%, 1,500vl
april 09 cd4 635 ,16%,60,000
july 09 ,cd4 545,17%,80,000
aug 09,hosptal 18days pneumonia cd190,225,000,15%
1 week later cd4 415 20%
nov 09 cd4 591 ,vl 59,000,14%,started atripla
dec 09  cd4 787, vl 266, 16%
march 2010  cd4 720 vl non detectable -20  20%
june 2010  cd4  680, 21%, ND

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.