Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:04:20 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 377
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 364
Total: 367

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Maid Sues Heiress Over HIV Test Requirement  (Read 20927 times)

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
Maid Sues Heiress Over HIV Test Requirement
« on: June 16, 2010, 06:43:03 pm »
I hope she wins the suit and gets a lot of money.

An experienced housekeeper in New York is suing a prospective employer, charging she demanded that the housekeeper take and pass an HIV test before starting her job.

Agnes Cybulska, who has been in the relatively unregulated housekeeping industry for 19 years, is suing Dana Hammond, the heiress to the Annenberg family, according to The New York Times. Cybulska answered an ad she found on Craigslist posted by an employment agency that called for an "experienced executive Polish housekeeper." Duties included supervising the domestic staff, cleaning, running errands, and caring for Hammond's daughter.

When Cybulska visited Hammond at one of her homes in January, she said, Hammond told her the job would not pay the advertised $1,000 per week, but instead $150 daily, for nine hours, without benefits or overtime.

In a second interview, according to Cybulska, Hammond demanded that she take and pass an HIV test, something Hammond has required of everyone on her domestic staff. Hammond said she had recently been tested herself after using a toilet that seemed unsanitary; the statement struck Cybulska as odd. Cybulska then informed the employment agency that Hammond was demanding the test be administered, and soon after agency executives informed her that she was not right for the position.

Cybulska's suit, filed Tuesday in a state court in Manhattan, says the testing requirement violates New York City's Human Rights Law. It names both Hammond and the employment agency, Domestic Job Picks, as defendants. Their representatives were not available for comment to the Times.

Discriminating against someone with HIV is also illegal under the federal Americans With Disabilities Act.

LINKS:

http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_News/2010/06/16/Maid_Sues_Heiress_Over_HIV_Test_Requirement/

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/16/nyregion/16nanny.html?src=mv

Offline Just John

Re: Maid Sues Heiress Over HIV Test Requirement
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 07:13:40 pm »
Hammond said she had recently been tested herself after using a toilet that seemed unsanitary

The only thing unsanitary is her mind.

-John.
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.

Offline hotpuppy

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 07:20:26 pm »
I wonder what defines "passing"?  Let's see, HIV is a bug, bugs bite... Did I pass?
Don't obsess over the wrong things.  Life isn't about your numbers, it isn't about this forum, it isn't about someone's opinion.  It's about getting out there and enjoying it.   I am a person with HIV - not the other way around.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 07:22:01 pm »
This is the bit that stands out for me:

When Cybulska visited Hammond at one of her homes in January, she said, Hammond told her the job would not pay the advertised $1,000 per week, but instead $150 daily, for nine hours, without benefits or overtime.

Surely this is a breach of NY state industrial law.

MtD

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 07:25:56 pm »
The Times article elaborates:

The lawsuit, if unusual in its particulars, does offer yet one more view into the world of domestic workers and their employers. Advocates for domestic workers say excessive demands are far too common because nannies and housekeepers have long been excluded from most labor law protections.

Albany lawmakers hope to ease the workers’ quandary. This month the State Senate passed the Domestic Workers Bill of Rights, which seeks to give workers protections enjoyed by most other employees. The State Assembly passed a similar bill last year, and lawmakers are working to reconcile the two bills before the end of the legislative session.

Offline madbrain

• No longer an active member
    • My personal site
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 08:34:25 pm »
This is the bit that stands out for me:

Surely this is a breach of NY state industrial law.

MtD

Well, if she expects the maid to work 7 days a week it would be $1,050 a week . That comes out to $16.6/day which is well above minimum wage. The lack of overtime would probably be against NY labor laws, though. But not the lack of benefits.

Anyway, good of the maid to sue ! I hope she wins big.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 08:56:14 pm »
Odd that nobody remarked on how the heiress also spec'd out a white lady for the job.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 08:57:17 pm »
Odd that nobody remarked on how the heiress also spec'd out a white lady for the job.

You mean the "Polish housekeeper" thing?

MtD

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2010, 09:00:49 pm »
You mean the "Polish housekeeper" thing?

MtD

Yes, of course.  Are Polish people better with Mop-N-Glo and diaper management?  I missed that memo.

I know how this all works in Manhattan.  Don't specify the Polish, you get a Jamaican.

Offline Boze

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2010, 09:07:34 pm »
I think someone hiring a maid for their house can be expected to specify what kind of person to hire. One thing is hiring practices by companies, another private individuals.

I'm a libertarian and believe that if she wants a virgin Philipino maid who speaks Chinese and can do backflips - that's her choice.
==========
Aug08 - Seroconversion
Mar10 - Diagnosis; cd4 690 - VL 19,000
Apr10 - cd4 600
May10 - VL 4,500
Jun10 - started Atripla ; VL 113
Jul 10 - UD vl, CD4 590
Aug 10 - UD, CD4 810, 52%
Nov 10 - UD, CD4 980

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2010, 09:11:48 pm »
Yes, of course.  Are Polish people better with Mop-N-Glo and diaper management?  I missed that memo.

I know how this all works in Manhattan.  Don't specify the Polish, you get a Jamaican.

See I was thinking it was a reference to Lemon Pledge. Yer learn sumthin' every day!

MtD

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2010, 09:13:33 pm »
I'm a libertarian and believe that if she wants a virgin Philipino maid who speaks Chinese and can do backflips - that's her choice.

How utterly delicious. :D

So are you a Penn Jillette style anarcho-capitalist or a Ron Paulbot?

MtD

Offline Boze

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2010, 09:22:24 pm »
How utterly delicious. :D

So are you a Penn Jillette style anarcho-capitalist or a Ron Paulbot?

MtD

Don't know what they believe in. But I think some things should be left to individuals to sort out between them. Can't expect courts of government to get involved all the time.

==========
Aug08 - Seroconversion
Apr10 - cd4 600
May10 - VL 4,500
Jul 10 - UD vl, CD4 590
Nov 10 - UD, CD4 980

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2010, 09:25:48 pm »
Don't know what they believe in. But I think some things should be left to individuals to sort out between them. Can't expect courts of government to get involved all the time.

So you think it's OK to require HIV test of prospective employees?  Fascinating.

Offline Boze

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2010, 09:29:43 pm »
So you think it's OK to require HIV test of prospective employees?  Fascinating.

Like I said - I think there is a difference between companies and individuals. A company should not be allowed to discriminate based on a number of factors, HIV status being one of them.

An individual hiring someone should be free to pick whoever they want for whatever reasons. Just like we don't have to explain to anybody what barber we use or which florist we frequent.

==========
Aug08 - Seroconversion
Apr10 - cd4 600
May10 - VL 4,500
Jul 10 - UD vl, CD4 590
Nov 10 - UD, CD4 980

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2010, 09:34:12 pm »
Like I said - I think there is a difference between companies and individuals. A company should not be allowed to discriminate based on a number of factors, HIV status being one of them.

An individual hiring someone should be free to pick whoever they want for whatever reasons. Just like we don't have to explain to anybody what barber we use or which florist we frequent.

So, say a sole proprietorship employing 10 people can require an HIV test?  Or do you just mean one person hiring one other person, but not two people?  The heiress was doing this HIV test for all staff. 

Offline Boze

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2010, 09:39:06 pm »
So, say a sole proprietorship employing 10 people can require an HIV test?  Or do you just mean one person hiring one other person, but not two people?  The heiress was doing this HIV test for all staff. 

A sole proprietorship sound like a company to me - whose purpose is to provide services or make goods for the market at large. Hence no HIV tests.

One person (or household) hiring domestic staff - whether it's one cleaner or ten - is a different case. She is the sole consumer and should have the right to pick whoever she sees fit.
==========
Aug08 - Seroconversion
Apr10 - cd4 600
May10 - VL 4,500
Jul 10 - UD vl, CD4 590
Nov 10 - UD, CD4 980

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2010, 09:50:23 pm »

One person (or household) hiring domestic staff - whether it's one cleaner or ten - is a different case. She is the sole consumer and should have the right to pick whoever she sees fit.

So then the HIV test is OK in this case?

Offline odyssey

• Mutiny of the neurons!
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2010, 09:52:58 pm »
This heiress was using an employment agency, so borzel's point is moot!
01/09/09- diagnosed HIV+
01/16/09   CD4-425    22%  VL- 32,415
11/09- started Reyetaz/Norvir/Truvada
03/10- stopped R/N/T
10/18/11   CD4- 328   20%  VL- 84,000
10/25/11   CD4- 386   22%
10/28/11- start Truvada/Reyetaz/Norvir
12/30/11  CD4- 523  29%
03/08/12  CD4- 503  31%  VL 57
07/02/12  CD4- 897  43%
08/31/12  CD4- 745  39%
12/27/12  CD4- 884  40%
03/28/13  CD4- 819  39%
07/19/13  CD4- 739  40%
10/17/13  CD4- 535  36%
01/16/14  CD4- 743  43%

02/14- switched from R/N/T to Tivicay/Epzicom because of CKD 3 suspected from tenofovir.

03/14- switched back to R/N/T due to severe nausea and inability to eat on T/E.

04/01/14 CD4- 898  42%   VL-

Offline Boze

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2010, 09:57:16 pm »
So then the HIV test is OK in this case?

Yes. I am not concentrating on HIV - for example I think she would be entitled to  request anything -  specific language skills, marital status, age, etc.

This heiress was using an employment agency, so borzel's point is moot!

I'm not sure of the logistics involved, only talking about general principle.
==========
Aug08 - Seroconversion
Apr10 - cd4 600
May10 - VL 4,500
Jul 10 - UD vl, CD4 590
Nov 10 - UD, CD4 980

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2010, 10:00:28 pm »

The heiress obviously doesnt want a situation such as this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEOSehGMwB4

POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2010, 10:03:49 pm »
The heiress obviously doesnt want a situation such as this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEOSehGMwB4

Uh, this isn't an ADAP funding thread.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2010, 10:07:55 pm »
Uh, this isn't an ADAP funding thread.

I'm sorry, but I couldnt find anywhere else to put my Mexican Housemaid clip.

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2010, 10:36:52 pm »
Isn't that the same family who gives money to a lot of causes and I always see listed as a sponsor of many PBS programs? 

My partner and I were just debating the other night whether employers can make you take an HIV test.  He thought some medical jobs could require an HIV test--like nurses and docs.  But I wasn't sure.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2010, 10:39:12 pm »
My partner and I were just debating the other night whether employers can make you take an HIV test.  He thought some medical jobs could require an HIV test--like nurses and docs.  But I wasn't sure.

LOL I sure hope not Teddy. :-[
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2010, 10:50:16 pm »
Universal cross infection procedures should negate the need for compulsory HIV testing of health care professionals.

MtD

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2010, 10:55:21 pm »
Universal cross infection procedures should negate the need for compulsory HIV testing of health care professionals.

MtD

Right as always.

Hugs
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2010, 10:56:31 pm »
borzel's point is moot!

Yup. He likes to contradict everybody just for shits and giggles. He must be a riot in real life. 

This woman got tested because she "used a toliet that seemed unsanitary"? What did she use it for, to have unprotected sex?  She must have been hanging out with la Philicia at Sound Factory.

I can't believe that someone who should have some sort of education thinks this way.  This is not 1984. 
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2010, 11:34:03 pm »

MtD

This aspect does not register for some reason here where I am.  I've discussed the possibilities with many people in the health care profession, including my doctor, about becoming a RN with my pos status,  not one person has told me it is possible yet.  Mind you, it hasn't deterred me in the least, but it is kind of disappointing.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2010, 11:43:46 pm »
This aspect does not register for some reason here where I am.  I've discussed the possibilities with many people in the health care profession, including my doctor, about becoming a RN with my pos status,  not one person has told me it is possible yet.  Mind you, it hasn't deterred me in the least, but it is kind of disappointing.

I feel for you Skeets. Restrictions on HIV positive clinicians have no basis in sound practice or in science.

This will be of little comfort for you, but in Australia there is no compulsory HIV testing for any health care worker and no HIV positive HCW is required to disclose their HIV status to anyone - patient or employer.

But don't let this stuff deter you. Stupid restrictions like this will not change unless people in your position take the cudgels up demand that change.

MtD

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2010, 12:37:02 am »

I can be so dense sometimes. When I read the Polish housekeeper part I was stumped, wondering why on Earth would she specify Polish?! Duh.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2010, 12:46:26 am »
I can be so dense sometimes. When I read the Polish housekeeper part I was stumped, wondering why on Earth would she specify Polish?! Duh.

Like I said, Lemon fucking Pledge! :)

MtD

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2010, 01:17:37 am »

I have no idea what the laws are about healthcare workers.  Do some states require them to take an HIV test?  I know they can require you to get vaccinations.  That came to a head during the H1N1 ordeal. 

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2010, 03:58:20 am »
I have never heard of this person, who is supposed to be an Annenberg "heiress" or as one story put it, "the" heiress (as if there were only one).  The Annenberg's have never been known to be stupid nor uninformed.
This person must be a real black hole, insulated by money to a point of worthlessness to the human race. What a pity for a family that did so much good with their money for a long time...

“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2010, 04:05:28 am »
I have never heard of this person, who is supposed to be an Annenberg "heiress" or as one story put it, "the" heiress (as if there were only one).  The Annenberg's have never been known to be stupid nor uninformed.
This person must be a real black hole, insulated by money to a point of worthlessness to the human race. What a pity for a family that did so much good with their money for a long time...

Tell us, what do you know about the Annenbergs?

MtD

Offline mecch

« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2010, 06:33:23 am »
No way, José! Already got shit for meeting Elton John. 
But you can google them if you are interested. Huge philanthropic family and respected and liked in that world.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2010, 06:52:00 am »
One person (or household) hiring domestic staff - whether it's one cleaner or ten - is a different case.

Persons from rich families are not individuals, they are companies, as I am sure their tax lawyers will tell you. Plus, being the top dogs of the free world, a virtue surely enjoyed by natural and just advantage, ie inherited wealth, and believing in all that Jackie Kennedy human rights stuff as they do at them cocktail parties and philanthropic dinners, they should be well setting an example (<< I left out a word to be polite)
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline BlueMoon

• Calling from the Fun House
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2010, 07:13:42 am »
Suppose she wants to set an example by hiring only an HIV+ maid.  Would that be ok?
It's a complex world

Offline mecch

« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2010, 07:16:53 am »
Oh, add to the insult, her husband is a neurologist at NYHospital/Cornell Med!!!!
What a c*nt.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2010, 07:19:30 am »
Oh, add to the insult, her husband is a neurologist at NYHospital/Cornell Med!!!!
What a c*nt.

You know if you're motivated enough to call someone a cunt you might as well just use it properly rather than bowdlerising it.

::)

MtD

Offline mecch

« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2010, 07:29:44 am »
See the work fuck here but never seen cunt.

One puts the * not to disguise the word rather to express one's awareness that others might take offense to a necessary vulgarity.

Wouldn't bowdlerising be omitting the word from a quote?

I'll never be as in your face and vulgar as you MTD, though we love you for it!

Offline mecch

« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2010, 07:34:25 am »
These years in Switzerland are changing the way I communicate.  Public vulgarity is a crime here. Call a cunty woman a cunt on the street and she can have you arrested!

Cunt generally being one of those taboo words that I think only woman can use in certain situations. Like Fag, kike, dago, wetback, and nigger.  I mean I could say cunt in a gay bar to another fag, but its pretty strong for a man to say it in a public forum like this, no?

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2010, 07:39:03 am »
I dream of a day when we all can say the word cunt without everyone in the room looking at you as if they smell something fishy .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline mecch

« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2010, 07:46:35 am »
Hey I just looked up cunt and learned its more for a man, when used in public in Britain, and in the Australian New Zealand orbit, can even be positive??? True?    Learn something new everyday!

# (Australian, New Zealand,  British,  positive comment,  colloquial, countable) When used with certain adjectives such as good or funny, cunt can be used to describe a person in a positive manner. This is mostly done between male friends.

Yes, I do remember Dave, he was one funny cunt.
    Tom's a good cunt, he fixed my car and didn't even charge me for it!

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/cunt

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2010, 07:49:53 am »
Thats great mecch . Thanks for being a cunt and finding that for us ... twat a guy !
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline mecch

« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2010, 08:10:50 am »
Thats great mecch . Thanks for being a cunt and finding that for us ... twat a guy !

I think you need to put an adjective before the cunt for it to work.
'You're a right old "swell cunt" to look that up.'

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2010, 08:21:30 am »
I wonder what kind of contract Sir Elton requires of the servants? Mecch, get on that for us.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2010, 08:21:59 am »
I think you need to put an adjective before the cunt for it to work.
'You're a right old "swell cunt" to look that up.'

Thanks again ... I think you got it licked .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Boze

« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2010, 08:28:29 am »
Yup. He likes to contradict everybody just for shits and giggles. He must be a riot in real life. 

This woman got tested because she "used a toliet that seemed unsanitary"? What did she use it for, to have unprotected sex?  She must have been hanging out with la Philicia at Sound Factory.

I can't believe that someone who should have some sort of education thinks this way.  This is not 1984. 

I do, if I think the consensus is getting too comfortable with the prevailing view. I think someone should step in and say - hold on, this may not necessarily the right view just because we all think so.

I partied at the Sound Factory in the 90s too actually, but probably different crowd :)

==========
Aug08 - Seroconversion
Apr10 - cd4 600
May10 - VL 4,500
Jul 10 - UD vl, CD4 590
Nov 10 - UD, CD4 980

Offline john33

« Reply #49 on: June 17, 2010, 09:12:21 am »
Thanks again ... I think you got it licked .

Ewwww

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.