Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:55:28 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 651
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 622
Total: 625

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: First Weights Workout Since DX  (Read 9609 times)

Offline Loa111

First Weights Workout Since DX
« on: July 22, 2018, 04:12:23 pm »
Did my first weights work out since I got sick n was Dx. Haven’t done any gym in at least 8 months due to illness with OIs etc.

Bit the bullet n went to gym today. Did barabell, compound exercises bench, squat etc. I had to use bar only (20kg) and 10 kgs on bar here n there. Was in terrible shape, no strength, no edurance today. Good news, I’ve started, I’ll stay at step 1 with bar only for the next several week, hopefully I can start to build basic strength baby step by baby step.

Nice light swim of a few laps afterwards. Very enjoyable.

Need to put muscle on to fix the weight loss n muscle loss from advanced Dx. Might as well enjoy the process as it will be a long road.

Offline vrsan

Re: First Weights Workout Since DX
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 05:34:04 pm »
Hey Loa!

Congratulations on the (re)start of your journey to a better health. As you say, just take it step by step, and slowly, but what's more important, surely it'll come back. Doing all the different sets makes me think you were evaluating your own state of physique... you seem to be in the right mindset for this :)

I also started low when dx'd, out of the hospital, weak, could barely stay awake sometimes. 68kgs when released. Like you, i went back to the gym to put on some weight because i was scared to death by my wasting, and i was hoping it's reversible. Well let me tell you: it totally was for me. I'm 97kgs now, well maybe not 100% muscle, but i can easily bench press that 110kgs, 125 on better days. Two years have passed and some of my acquaintances don't even recognise me anymore.

Just be patient, don't put too much stress on yourself just yet. It's great that you haven't lost the will to regain your strength - i'm rooting for you! :)

Offline kentfrat1783

• Instagram: kentfrat1783
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 06:13:01 pm »
Hi Loa,

You sound like me.  After I was Dx'd and having an OI I just didn't feel like working out or at that point even going out.

It took me at least 6 months to even step foot back in the gym.  I've had a hard time getting back in the grove but going at least twice a week now.  Isn't back to the 5 days a week I was doing prior but I'll get there. 

Were you working out a lot prior?  I have been looking at my pics prior and comparing them to now and it isn't pretty. 

I am on bb.com and have realized that posting my workouts is very beneficial even if it isn't much fo a workout.  Great motivation.  If you aren't on there might help you get back to working out. 

Wishing you the best and remember to stretch. 

Kenneth
Date - CD4 - Percent - VL
08/23/23 - 366 - 26%
06/20/23 - 349 - 21% - UD
04/15/23 - 229 - 19% - <20
11/14/22 - 486 - 24% - 73
10/12/22 - 316 - 19% - <20
06/20/22 - 292 - 21% - <20
01/25/22 - 321 - 22% - <20
09/22/21 - 278 - 19% - <20
02/02/21 - 225 - 19% - <20
06/08/20 - 257 - 20% - <20
03/17/20 - 285 - 19% - 101 (2.00)
12/17/19 - 290 - 20% - <20
09/17/19 - 218 - 16%
06/18/19 - 173 - 16% - <20
03/13/19 - 170 - 16% - <20
January 2019 - Started Triumeq
12/05/08 - 174 - 18% - <20
08/28/18 - 166 - 15% - <20
05/08/18 - 106 - 11% - <20
03/05/18 -   90 - 10% - <20
12/11/17 -   60 -   8%
09/07/17 -   42 -   6% - 54 (1.70)
May 2017 - Started Atripla
05/11/17 -    2 -    1% - 169,969 (5.23)
OI's: PCP
Dx`d May 11, 2017

Offline Loa111

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 04:32:49 am »
Inspiring n encouraging to hear you both making great progress and getting back into the gym.

Very glad to hear the wasting is reversible, I hope that is the case for me too! I hate having toothpick arms! 

Before I focused on martial arts such as muay thai for years, supplemented this with running, and occasional light weights. I had the leaner look n fighter fitness.

This time due to the muscle n weight loss, I've decided to focus on weight training. I'm leaving the cardio out just for now (I walk a bit day to day anyway) to max my chances of building some muscle.

I had no appetite for food when I was sick even before I knew why I was sick, now I am back eating well the last two months.

Was amazed at home heavy the bar only felt and doing 8 reps x 3 sets of overhead press was a struggle! Well, at least I can only get better with consistency.

I'll definitely take it easy going forward, aiming for 3 weights sessions a week.

Hoping in several months to start back into the martial arts again too, but once a week will do me these days.

Offline Grendal

• Standard
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2018, 11:35:40 am »
How’s everybody doing with the gym? It just seems like gaining strength is so slow now, just keep grinding away is like treading water as it’s so slow but I guess there’s progress. I guess I’ll keep picking up weights and put them down again and again as it’s better than not doing it.

G

Offline Loa111

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2018, 04:16:16 am »
I decided to stop the weights for a few months. I’m still recovering from effects of advanced Dx v low CD4 and also had a meds change around time I started training again. I’d do a couple of gym sessions then exhausted for days n fatigue too. So I decided to rest up for a few more months to allow more healing time. I do go for a jog once a week, a swim and I walk fast most days going about daily business. Looking forward to getting back soon.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.