Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:30:02 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772952
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 459
Total: 459

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Buspar (Busprirone)  (Read 11788 times)

Offline Betelgeuse

Buspar (Busprirone)
« on: June 09, 2011, 03:05:02 am »
Anyone have any experience with Buspar/Busprione for GAD?  I've had no success with SSRIs in the past and am shopping around for a good anxiolytic.

Thoughts/advice?
04/19/11 - Diagnosed positive
04/29/11 - CD4 188 @ 12.5% / VL 18k
05/03/11 - CD4 171 @ unk% / VL 7k
06/04/11 - Start Truvada/Isentress
07/11/11 - CD4 not tested / VL UD
09/07/11 - CD4 252 @ unk% / VL UD

Offline Betelgeuse

Re: Buspar (Busprirone)
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 02:06:29 am »
The regular doctor whom  I saw today (which will be no longer as I'll be switching my GP needs to my HIV doc), switched me to Buspar.  

After much research, and experience with several SSRI's, I'm unable to tolerate them - so I asked to be switched.

NOT in a class of SSRI's, Buspar (Busprirone) is in a class of its own, called Azapirones.

My symptoms are:  Constant anxiousness in the back of my mind.  Occasional panic attacks.

My main concern was avoiding nausea, weight gain and sexual side effects.  This medication seems to satisfy avoiding all of those conditions.

We'll give it a go.  Starting with 30mg's a day, probably work up to 60.  

If any of you are experiencing GAD or interested in my progress, I'll post responses to this topic as I feel any improvement.

Offline Betelgeuse

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 02:17:39 am »
Ok after much research and from personal experience:

BuSpar is commonly prescribed in conjunction with an SSRI.  According to the dr-bob.org boards, this combination seems to have the best result.

Unfortunately, I have completely unable to tolerate SSRI's and therefore taking the BuSpar alone.  

I'm quite pleased.  It almost feels like I took a benzo of some sort.  Of course, there are quite a few weeks to adjust to this medication, so I'll post my progress here.

Offline Betelgeuse

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 07:12:55 pm »
I wanted to report on some positive results on my Buspirone use after over just a week.  I am on 30mg's a day at the moment.  The changes are subtle - I'm not as anxious and I don't get "that feeling" I'm about to have a panic attack as much.

This is a medication best used in conjunction with an SSRI.  I do not have a tolerance for that class of antidepressants, so I am taking Buspirone on its own.

Offline james3000

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 12:46:23 pm »
I too Buspar a long time ago I did not like it as gave pressure on my head.
I am on effexor ( SSRI) it managed to get me out of the house.

Have you looked at Remeron (mirtzapine) it works ok but have to take it at bedtime I was on that for a while.

I tried Paxil but that was very bad for me.

Offline DEN100

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 01:10:39 pm »
Betelgeuse,

I was intrigued by your post on Buspar. I just joined this forum today as I have continual anxiety related problems. ( short of breath, feeling of panic, mind continually worrying about health,lightheaded, etc etc.) Point is that a lot of the discussions are on depression feelings versus anxiety feelings. Your post seemed to relate to me. In 2009 I took one buspar pill and got dizzy, so I never even tried to really take the med. I need to do something as I am getting much worse. I take nothing right now. My Dr. suggested Celexa 20 mg ( Citalopram). Have you ever tried that? What happened?
Also, Lexapro is noted for the anxiety side, have you tried that? What happened. As your issues seem more like mine I was trying to get your experience. I cannot handle any stimulants (including caffeine)  I was thinking that I should actually try Buspar. Currently I take Lorazapam ( Ativan ) as needed. 1 mg tablets.
Would really appreciate any thoughts/experiences you could share

Offline james3000

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 08:43:37 am »
I have looked at the website www.crazymeds.us it helped as goes into details about each drug and what people have experienced on all the different Anxiety meds.
My Dr switched me from one drug to another until we found one that worked Paxil was the very worst almost didn't make it through that.
My Anxiety has come back with a vengeance recently so my ID Dr is sending me on a course that uses eastern methods of relaxation it is for Hiv+ people and is one day a week for twelve weeks.
I feel for you as I know constant Anxiety is a terrible thing.

Offline DEN100

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2011, 06:46:07 pm »
This Eastern course thing sounds interesting. Where do you live? I am curious as to the locations of this. In any case let us know how these classes progress.

Offline james3000

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 08:28:36 am »
Den100

I live in Ontario Canada the course is at the Mount Sinai Hospital Toronto I am waiting now for the referral to go through plus I will have to figure out how I am going to get there !
I will let you know how it works out :)

Offline james3000

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2011, 08:51:34 am »
Den
Just found out there is a two year waiting list oh well !

Offline TexasPOZ

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2011, 05:30:53 am »
BuSpar didn't work for me. It was like taking a baby aspirin for a migraine. I take Klonopin and it works just fine, although there is a lot of controversy surrounding long-term use of benzodiazipines. For me, it significantly improves my quality of life, and therefore I take it. I'm not advising the same for you or anyone else, just stating what works for me.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.