Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 05:44:33 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 208
Total: 208

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Death  (Read 86228 times)

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
Death
« on: November 24, 2012, 07:29:14 pm »
Someone I knew died Tuesday evening of AIDS.

He needn't have. He actually did very well on meds, but he decided he didn't want to take them.

He hadn't been positive all that long (not as long as I and some of the other LTS people have.)

He wasn't having any particular side effects, nor was he suffering from any other physical ailment.

He did have mental health issues, but he would not address them and refused any assistance.

So, he stopped his meds about two years ago. I watched as he wasted, became thinner, weaker and as he became less and less able to care for himself.

I arranged for home hospice for him, because he refused to go into the hospital or nursing home.

It occurred to me that his death process could be a great leaning tool for many of the younger people who are more recently positive.

I have seen hundreds die like this, but most younger people haven't seen anyone die of this horrible collection of diseases.

Ethics, and probably morals, prevailed and I didn't act on this idea, but I do wish others could have seen this.

Then fewer would be complaining about their one pill a day, or the relatively frequent doctor visits, etc.

I am not discounting these concerns, but I would like to put them into perspective, the "big picture," if you would.

Most interestingly, the guy's mother, who was with him the last few days of his life, was actually relieved by her son's passing.

I guess the strain of seeing him as he lay there was more than she was able to deal with for very long.

I can understand why.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Anqueetas

Re: Death
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 08:03:07 pm »
I hope he finds peace in his life. I can sees that Living with HIV is 50% in my mind, its not all about medication, blood test. We all have to accept that this virus might stay with us until the day we die, and we have to make a life out of it, even thought we have to change everything in life to make that happen.
ARS, hospitalized for very high fever-July 2011
diagnosed HIV positive - October 16 2011
CD4 460 19.5% VL 49000 - late October 2011
CD4 625 19.5% VL 50030 - January 2012
CD4 369 19% VL 69000 - March 2012
Start Sustiva+ Truvada - April 17 2012
CD4 524 24.5% VL UD - August 22 2012
Switch to Nevirapine+Truvada
CD4 490 26% VL UD - November 2012
CD4 539 29% VL UD - February 2013
CD4 621 28% VL UD - May 2013

Offline jm1953

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 08:16:49 pm »
Hey Mark,

Believe it or not, I also have two friends in Hawaii who are in the last stages of the disease.  They are partners and have fought this thing together for over 25 years.  Hospice has been called in which usually means the inevitable.  I really wish I could be there with them.  Like you, I've lost so many friends, been at the bedside of many, and lots of memorials.  Not so much these days, a blessing, but the same sadness comes over me when it happens as it did in the old days. 

I'm sorry for your loss.

Best,

Jeff
Positive 29 years. Diagnosed 10/1987.  Current CD 4: 720: Viral load: almost 100.  Current drug regimen, Tivicay, Emtriva, Endurant, Wellbutrin, Clonazepam, Uloric, Losartan Potassium,Allegra, Ambien, Testosterone, Nandrolone, Vicodin, Benedryl, Aspirin, lots of vitamin supplements.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 08:57:17 pm »
Thank you for sharing this story and I'm sorry for your loss .

Many of us that are fortunate enough to become a LTS will have to struggle with trying to find the way to show the newly infected that you can go on to live a full life if you can come to terms and except the responsibility's that comes with living with HIV .

I have had people come into my life who for whatever reason cant or wont except the diagnosis and as time goes on and you see them pretty much stuck in the same place , in denial or just not caring anymore what happens to themselves and its heartbreaking because you know that the disease will eat away at their spirit and eventually the body will follow .

I have that fear from time to time for new members on this forum , its always a wonderful day when they come around and take the next few steps out of fear and back into living again and you know they have a good of a chance as any of us at a happy life , a diffrent life than what they had planned but a good one none the less . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Jmarksto

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 09:12:08 pm »
Mark;  My condolences, what a sad situation.  While I am recently diagnosed, I have been somewhat close to the suffering of this disease a few times over the last 20 years - but nowhere near what others here have witnessed.  I am thankful for the treatment that we have today, and would like to see it more available to others that need it too.

Again, I am sorry for your loss and I hope you and his family find peace.

Sincerely,
JM
03/15/12 Negative
06/15/12 Positive
07/11/12 CD4 790          VL 4,000
08/06/12 CD4 816/38%   VL 49,300
08/20/12 Started Complera
11/06/12 CD4   819/41% VL 38
02/11/13 CD4   935/41% VL UD
06/06/13 CD4   816/41% VL UD
10/28/13 CD4 1131/45% VL 25
02/25/14 CD4   792/37% VL UD
07/09/14 CD4 1004/39% VL UD
11/03/14 CD4   711/34% VL UD
03/13/15 CD4   833/36% VL UD
04/??/15 Truvada & Tivicay
06/01/15 CD4 1100/50% VL UD
10/16/15 CD4   826/43% VL UD
??/??/2017 Descov & Tivicay
2017 VL UD, CD4 stable around 850
2018 VL UD, CD4 stable around 850

Offline wolfter

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 09:22:18 pm »
Sorry you had to needlessly witness this yet again.  I'm not sure what's worse; watching those die early on who wanted to live and didn't have ability, or those who have the ability and choose not to.

I'm hope this story touches those struggling with the whole "pills for the rest of my life" hurdle.

Wolfie
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2012, 10:02:59 pm »
I do feel that for some people its not a matter of not wanting to find the skills that may help them survive , its a matter of they cant .

Ive seen it with addiction too . Its a sad fact of life that sometime people don't survive the things life challenges us with .

I'm sad to read this thread but I'm happy its being discussed .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 05:48:54 am »
That is a sad story. Obviously there was a masochistic side to his mental illness.  Assuming people who stop taking their meds, and start getting sick, are not deluded that some miracle cure is around the corner, then they know they are dying.

A fast suicide has criminal, moral and financial downsides, sometimes so important that suicide is not a option.  Maybe someone needs the insurance money, that suicide would nullify, or something like that.

These are very complex situations because one thinks, obviously there should be heavy pressure to treat the mental illness because the mentally unfit person is putting themselves through extended suffering, and burdening everyone, and is effectively committing a long, but legal, "suicide".

Life is mysterious sometimes.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline dale gribble

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2012, 10:33:19 am »
my sympathies but gotten on here and seen

I was marked as being gay , which i'm not
5 kids and a loving wife I stopped taking the meds I want to beat it. 4 months and still going strong
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 10:37:23 am by dale gribble »

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2012, 10:44:01 am »

5 kids and a loving wife I stopped taking the meds I want to beat it. 4 months and still going strong

Hi Dale ... Can you please elaborate on what you posted here , I'm not sure what you mean by it .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline dale gribble

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2012, 10:48:36 am »
can't you read English ?

Offline dale gribble

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2012, 10:49:28 am »
oh i'm sorry you're not fron the u.s

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2012, 10:55:21 am »
Yes Dale I'm from the US and read English . I simply didn't understand what you wrote and asked for a clarification . I'm the last person on the forum that would be critical of they way people write and wasn't trying to be ugly to you .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline dale gribble

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2012, 11:04:11 am »
I like to see you do my fucking job a kid I didn't think had it in my worst nightmare 
as far as u concerned you can stop acting like a fag and be a man i'm not sorry for helping him

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2012, 11:13:48 am »

Hey Dale,

Many pozzies I know are not gay. The virus doesn't care, and we shouldn't either.

If I am reading your post correctly, you stopped taking meds four months ago and say you are still going stong.

First, I am sure you are aware, or should be, this "going strong" is only temporary and death is the ultimate result of living with untreated HIV.

Also, though, you say you want to beat HIV, yet you are eschewing meds. How do you plan to beat it?

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2012, 11:20:00 am »
I like to see you do my fucking job a kid I didn't think had it in my worst nightmare 
as far as u concerned you can stop acting like a fag and be a man i'm not sorry for helping him

If you want to discuss issues, that's fine, but name calling will not be tolerated here.  You have received  responses from two members, asking you to clarify what your comments meant.  It's not our fault that you are poz, so stop slamming folks who are only trying to help.

Joe

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2012, 11:41:15 am »

He needn't have. He actually did very well on meds, but he decided he didn't want to take them.

He hadn't been positive all that long (not as long as I and some of the other LTS people have.)

He wasn't having any particular side effects, nor was he suffering from any other physical ailment.

He did have mental health issues, but he would not address them and refused any assistance.

So, he stopped his meds about two years ago. I watched as he wasted, became thinner, weaker and as he became less and less able to care for himself.

I arranged for home hospice for him, because he refused to go into the hospital or nursing home.

It occurred to me that his death process could be a great leaning tool for many of the younger people who are more recently positive.

I have seen hundreds die like this, but most younger people haven't seen anyone die of this horrible collection of diseases.

Ethics, and probably morals, prevailed and I didn't act on this idea, but I do wish others could have seen this.

Then fewer would be complaining about their one pill a day, or the relatively frequent doctor visits, etc.

I am not discounting these concerns, but I would like to put them into perspective, the "big picture," if you would.

Most interestingly, the guy's mother, who was with him the last few days of his life, was actually relieved by her son's passing.

I guess the strain of seeing him as he lay there was more than she was able to deal with for very long.

I can understand why.

HUGS,

Mark

It's very unfortunate that this happened and saddens me that he took this route with the treatment that was available to him today.  It must have been difficult for you to watch Mark....  It's definitely a reminder to me how serious this virus is.

Mark, thanks for sharing this with us.  I wish things could have been different for him.

Dale, I'm married and with 3 kids myself.  The choice you make is, of course, yours to do.  But, I can tell you, the progression of this disease will only have one result.  It's been proven over the last 3 decades.  Also, please refrain from the derogatory remarks towards the members here who are some of the most supportive people I know.  Sexuality has nothing to do with anything when it comes to living with this virus. 

The member you directed your attack on is one of the most understanding and caring people on this site. 

Also.. instead of hijacking this thread any further I would like to suggest that you create your own thread to talk of any issues you are having. 

Mark, I apologize to you for taking part in that hijack and won't respond to him further in your thread.

Sk
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2012, 11:42:27 am »
Hopefully Mr Gribble will come back and play nice . If I'm reading what he shared correctly this thread is the a perfect one for a guy like him . I would hate to see him miss out on getting the support he needs to go on and do what he needs to do in order to lead a healthy life .... and thank you skeebo  ;)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 11:49:12 am by jg1962 »
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2012, 11:59:18 am »
Dale, you need to get a grip on your name-calling here and the very large chip on your shoulder. You're free to discuss whatever is on your mind but name calling and other hostile remarks are not permitted.

If you think someone has spoken out of turn to you, report it to the moderators as several have done about your fag comments, etc.

I'm giving you a warning this time. If it happens again it will be at least a time out. Don't lose the benefits you can find on this site by this kind of display again.                 
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2012, 12:02:48 pm »

Sshortguy1, you're still banned.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2012, 12:03:33 pm »
Bingo, knew that's who this was.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2012, 12:14:08 pm »

Yep , you were right .  ;D .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2012, 12:18:04 pm »

So what? Can we end the unfortunate, nasty hijack now and get back to Mark's topic?

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Solo_LTSurvivor

• Twerk Baby Twerk
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2012, 02:42:10 pm »

I can understand why.

HUGS,

Mark

^This should be stickied and linked to the top of the Living With forum.

Thanks for sharing (and posting) this Mark.  I'm very sorry for the loss you experienced, but am very happy to see that you still managed to think of how you can benefit others, even in this time.  But that was to be expected, as those of us who have come to know you, are aware of how selfless you are.  We are very lucky to be honored with your participation in these forums.
don't equate intelligence with lack of masculinity
Jim Phelps, Mission Impossible

Seroconverted: Early 80s
Tested & confirmed what I already knew: early 90s

Current regimen: Biktarvy. 
Last regimen:  Atripla (with NO adverse side effects: no vivid dreams and NONE of the problems people who can't tolerate this drug may experience: color me lucky ::))
Past regimens
Fun stuff (in the past):  HAV/HBV, crypto, shingles, AIDS, PCP

Jan 2012: 818/21%
Apr 2012: 964/22%
Jul. 2012: 890/21%
Oct. 2012: 920/23%

Still UD after all these years

Offline Jody

« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2012, 09:18:43 pm »
I'm sorry to hear this heartbreaking news Mark.  In your job you mentor so many people of all shapes and sizes and do it well.  You can't control what everyone does, though you can passionately try to help, as I know you do.  Your work is a blessing in this world.  Hugs.

Jody :'(
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2012, 12:50:24 am »
Mark, I am sorry to hear about your friend.  It is truly sad that he chose this option, especially considering he didn't have any major issues with the meds or from the virus.  But, mental health issues cause people to do things they wouldn't normally do, and mental health often goes unchecked.  So, I think it is probably safe to say he didn't "choose" this in his right mind.

At the HIV clinic I go to, I've noticed the docs never ask how I'm doing mentally.  I've talked to other patients in the waiting room about this.  They all said they've never been asked how they are doing mentally.  I had to seek out my own therapist.  That's fine for me, but I know many won't speak up, unless they are asked.  And, sometimes you have to ask several times, before a patient will open up.  I've been telling every doc and nurse I see there that they should always inquire how patients are doing mentally.  I believe it should be one of the first questions each visit.  From reading other posts here, I don't think many are asked about mental health.

Again, my sincere condolences to you and his family.   

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2012, 01:08:47 am »
Mark, I'm sorry about your friend and send you my condolences.

Offline David_CA

« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2012, 01:09:25 pm »
Mark, I'm sorry to hear about your friend.  I don't mean this as criticism, but I just don't understand people wanting to quit meds.  Certainly, the situation is different if one is suffering from side effects that cause issues.  I've heard people say that they 'just didn't know if they could handle taking pills every day.'  I guess I've had so many sinus infections, ADHD, etc and have taken pills most of my life that it's a non-issue.  Maybe it's the acceptance thing; some people just never come to grips with their having HIV.  Personally, getting as sick as I did 6 years ago (within a day of being exactly 6 years) was the wake-up call that I had to get serious about this virus.  I knew that if I hadn't gone to my Dr. when I did, I would have soon died, and I wasn't ready for that.  Perhaps your friend was just tired of living, but who knows.  At any rate, it's very sad for others involved. 
Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Lou-ah-vull

« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2012, 05:48:30 pm »
Sometimes the very best response we can offer in a situation like this is to live our own life more purposefully, more joyfully, and more fully.  This way, despair, never gets the final word and others get a valuable witness in moving forward. 

As I am fond of quoting at the end of the AMG memorial service (the words of Pryor at the end of Angels in America) "I bless you all.  More life!  The great work begins!"

Mark, you are truly one of those angels...keep up the heavenly work!

Gary
Diagnosed Oct. 2005
10/05:  367 (26.2%), 24556 VL
01/06:  344 (24.6%), 86299 VL
04/06:  374 (22.0%), 87657 VL
05/06:  Began HAART 05/15/06, Combivir/Kaletra
07/06:  361 (27.8%), 1299 VL
10/06:  454 (32.4%), 55 VL
01/07:  499 (38.4%), UD
02/07:  Switched to Atripla 2/8/07
04/07:  566 (37.7%), UD
08/07:  761 (42.3%), UD
06/08:  659 (47.1%), UD
01/09:  613 (43.8%), UD
07/09:  616 (47.4%), UD
01/10:  530 (44.2%), UD
07/10:  636 (48.9%), UD
01/11:  627 (48.2%), UD
07/11:  840 (52.5%), UD
01/12:  920 (51.1%), UD
07/12:  857 (50.4%), 40
10/12:  UD
01/13:  710 (47.3%), UD
07/13:  886 (49.2%), UD
01/14:  985 (46.9%), UD
06/14:  823 (47.2%), UD
01/15: 1366 (45.2%), UD
07/15: 1134 (50.7%), UD
02/16: 1043 (55.1%), UD
08/16:  746  (55.4%), UD
08/16:  Switch from Atripla to Genvoya

Offline NY2011

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2012, 01:03:37 pm »
a good of a chance as any of us at a happy life , a diffrent life than what (we) had planned, but a good one nonetheless .

True. I remind myself of this every day.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 05:35:03 pm by NY2011 »
10/26/2011 - SEROCONVERSION (fever+rash, 104 degrees F)
10/31/2011 - CD4= 154  VL>500,000 
10/31/2011 - started on Truvada+Prezista+Norvir
12/14/2011 - CD4= 750 VL=6412 (45%)
01/27/2012 - switched to Atripla
04/23/2012 - CD4=1,221 VL= 140  (47%)
06/22/2012 - CD4=1,224 VL= ud    (49%)
12/18/2012 - CD4=1,031 VL= ud    (51%)
09/16/2013 - CD4=1,151 VL= ud   (49%)
03/26/2014 - CD4=1,050 VL= ud
11/25/2014 - CD4=1,335 VL= ud
12/01/2015 - CD4=1,115 VL= ud (55%)
11/22/2016 - CD4=1,071 VL= ud (52%)
06/01/2017 - CD4=1,014 VL= ud (53%)
switched to Biktarvy in 2018
04/23/2019 - CD4=1,072 VL= ud (52%)
01/15/2020 - CD4=  925  VL= ud (50%)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2012, 08:44:44 am »
Schedir, I deleted your post. We do not allow denialist crap on this website and that's exactly what your post was - denialist crap. Do it again and you risk being banned.

Consider yourself warned.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Schedir

• Standard
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2012, 08:48:04 am »
No problem, I expected my post to be deleted. I did not post denialist crap, I posted my own comment which was only meant to spark a thought in those who would read it. However, I will not mention it again. Like I said, I did not intend to offend anyone with what I wrote, and it seems obvious I had a good reason to do so.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2012, 08:54:25 am »
No problem, I expected my post to be deleted. I did not post denialist crap, I posted my own comment which was only meant to spark a thought in those who would read it. However, I will not mention it again. Like I said, I did not intend to offend anyone with what I wrote, and it seems obvious I had a good reason to do so.

I've been around long enough to recognise when someone is parroting denialist propaganda when I see it.

If you want to go down that road, that is your choice. Just don't expect to use this forum as a means to temp others to follow you into a preventable death from eschewing necessary hiv treatment.

Again, consider yourself warned.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Schedir

• Standard
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2012, 09:00:47 am »
Yes, I have been warned and just to inform you, I was not spouting propaganda. You read my post and I have been on this forum for a while you can see that clearly. However, I will not post anything like it again, don't worry.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2012, 09:03:56 am »
However, I will not post anything like it again, don't worry.

Too right you won't.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline wellington

• Don't sweat the little things.
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2012, 08:09:36 pm »
Mark.

I very much appreciated reading what you wrote although I wish the circumstances -- your friends passing -- were different. The thought of stopping meds has crossed my mind every now and then ... a bit of a romantic fantasy, I know. Your words express something important, for I think many of us to reflect upon from time to time, and not just those who are newly diagnosed or the young. Again, my thanks.

Offline eric48

• Standard
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2012, 05:14:23 pm »

So, he stopped his meds about two years ago...

Hi Mark,

Sad story and I truly sympathize.

I have been confronted with similar situations (older people not able or willing to take their medications)
I guess doctors see those kind of cases where some people will not want to take medicine  for religious or other beliefs.
It must be tearing people's heart including the health care providers

The following question means no offence, but, I wonder... Don't hospital nurse or families have the right to 'crush the meds' and mix with food ?

We do it to our pets, don't we.

Do we have to place free will above life ?

Because of families or friends, we, lay people are sometime caught in contradictory situations that we have not been prepared to

Anyway thanks for reminding us that ranting about the mere number of pills or their color is futile

Eric

NVP/ABC/3TC/... UD ; CD4 > 900; CD4/CD8 ~ 1.5   stock : 6 months (2013: FOTO= 5d. ON 2d. OFF ; 2014: Clin. Trial NCT02157311 = 4days ON, 3days OFF ; 2015: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02157311 ; 2016: use of granted patent US9101633, 3 days ON, 4days OFF; 2017: added TDF, so NVP/TDF/ABC/3TC, once weekly

Offline Iggy

« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2012, 09:21:37 pm »
Mark -

Thank you for this post.  It touched on a few things I've been thinking about.

I'm glad this post is pinned to the top as well

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2012, 03:19:28 pm »
Hi Mark,

Staying with a situation we find so unnecessary, that reminds us off our past is so hard and only the truly strong are able to do it , condolenses to you dear heart.
love
michael
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline coreFighter

« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2013, 09:58:51 pm »
you were a great friend caring for him.

Offline weasel

« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2013, 06:59:23 pm »

That is very sad Mark  .

After all these years I still know of people that choose the same way to go .

I have found no amount of talking or help will change a man's mind when it is clear he  has made  a decision  .

I thank GOD daily for still being here  :)

Weasel

P.s.  I am rather open with being an AIDS victim  , I don't ask for pity , But I sure show people they can get off their asses and LIVE !     
" Live and let Live "

Offline jaybirdz

« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2013, 03:47:59 pm »

Awesome that your going strong. I'm bad off now, but starting complera my brother. Let's hope this medication works cause taking 3-5 pills with my stomach and esophagus problems this one a day pill should be a diamond in my life and help me live a normal life

Offline hope4love

• Every Problem has a Solution.
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2013, 08:08:11 am »
I hope he finds peace in his life. I can sees that Living with HIV is 50% in my mind, its not all about medication, blood test. We all have to accept that this virus might stay with us until the day we die, and we have to make a life out of it, even thought we have to change everything in life to make that happen.

Sorry to hear about your friend Mark. RIP.
I agree with Anqueetas that Living with HIV is 50% in mind or I would say even more. We have to change ourselves, our lifestyle, behaviours, attitude etc and be strong and fight this till the end. Never give up hope. Its like running a Marathon. Along with physical ability to run long distance.. it's the strong mind that keeps on the run long facing all the obstacles. The moment you think its enough, you stop, give up and you loose the run and fail to reach the target place. We should be strong physically and mentally to battel HIV come what ever obstacles..
Jan 2009 - Sero Negative
Jan 2010 - Sero Positive
               CD4 - 275, VL - 18,000
Oct 2010 - CD4 - 241, Started - Vonavir; Oct 2011 - CD4 - 474;Jan 2012 - CD4-620; Aug 2012-CD4-600, VL- UD; Jan 2013 CD4-493, VL-72 IU/ml   (Blip)

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2013, 12:39:07 pm »
I was unaware of this thread, until reading about it in "Letters" in the latest POZ magazine. (I'm rarely in the Living With forum, I pretty much hang out in LTS).

A real tragedy; it is especially heartbreaking for those of us who have seen family, friends and loved ones die because there was NOTHING available to help them.  It almost happened to me;  thank God the protease drugs came along in 1996, and Saquinavir saved my life.

I'm not sure why someone would choose not to take meds; then again, I'm not sure why people do (or don't do) a lot of the things that go on nowadays.  I hope I don't reach the point where I feel as if I don't have anything left to live for.  I know, first-hand, what it is like to die from AIDS, and there is nothing good about it.

May we all find the peace we need, in whatever form that takes in each of our lives.

Alan   :'(
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline beefbud

• just some flesh caught in this big broken machine"
    • cubster dot com
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2013, 10:54:58 am »
Im very sorry to hear of your loss.

Sadly it seems like others have experienced this loss as well, giving up meds and all.

I lost a friend to the same situation, he realized it was a mistake when it was too late.

Hugs and condolences to you.

"first impressions are cheap auditions"

Offline DrewEm

« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2013, 01:44:09 am »
Mark,
   My sincerest condolences. This is a difficult situation to endure.

I have a friend in Philly in this same situation - he was diagnosed twelve years ago and has refused to take meds. While I am not privilege to his exact numbers I know they are low as he has been in the ICU for three weeks of the last eight. He has also been showing signs of HIV related dementia - calling me to talk and then a bit in to the conversation saying he doesn't know who I m and hanging up. He is only 29.

Best wishes, it isn't easy.

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2013, 03:17:17 pm »
I have had the same idea about the film making , the balance between ensuring conditions are maximised so that folk get tested and the fact that HIV care has moved on forward blinds people to the er illness part , which off course is still here.

Your other post about the provision off HIV care in your area could also make a interesting Documentary. in fact Mark maybe you should be the subject then loads off issues will get aired. Plus your Fan club will soar. Which at least would be fair.
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline metekrop

• Is time running fast for you.
« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2013, 11:46:49 am »
Very sad story, Mark. Hiv is the nastiest staff that an individual can get. It is really so much nasty. However, it requires one to be the most strong to live with.  Anyone can live the most with treatment.  Just only realize that it is treatable. 

The story reminds of mine that I refused to take treatment for almost eight years and finally end up onto my death bed until I get into treatment which I am now on the top.  From the first day of my treatment onwards I believed that I will be living life to the fullest possible with treatment. I work almost 12 to 14 hours everyday not to remember this nastiest virus I am living with.
Diag.on 12/8, 2000, CD 440 VL 44K, No Meds
12/08 - 2/09 CD< 50 & VL >500k hosp'z.
St. Atripla - 7/09 CD 179, VL 197k
10/09 CD 300 VL U
3/10 468 U
8/10 460 U
12/10 492 U
3/11 636 U
8/11 530 U
1/12  616 U
7/12 640 U
12/12 669 U
5/13 711 U
11/13 663 U
4/14  797 U
10/14 810 U
4/15 671 U
10/15 694 U
3/16 768 U
8/16 459 U
2/22 780 U
8/31 940 U
2/26 809 U
8/18 882 U
3/28 718 U
8/15 778 U
2/25 920 70
8/11 793 U
2/22 690 U
6/8 834 U

Offline auspoz

« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2013, 05:01:45 am »
Mark, you brought me strength when I needed it 8 years ago. May I return the favour. I wish I had a good friend like you. Caring, earnest and thoughtful. Hugs.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2013, 06:21:51 pm »
Mark,
Your post came to mind as I read Phil's post today about his brother.
I hope those who are newly diagnosed will hear what has been said.

33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.