Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 07:47:16 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 729
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 732
Total: 732

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Medarex HIV and CD8 pd-1 monoclonal antibodies centocor.com Immune pioneers  (Read 6174 times)

Offline bimazek

Medarex who has interests in HIV and CD8 pd-1 monoclonal antibodies... just started working with centocor.com   Immune pioneers
just a ray of hope in research... any immune system research can possibly benifit us

http://www.medarex.com/cgi-local/item.pl/20070905-1048024
Medarex, Inc. (Nasdaq: MEDX)
today announced the extension of a broad antibody development relationship with its  licensing partner, Centocor R&D, Inc.  The extended relationship provides
Centocor with continued access to Medarex's UltiMAb Human Antibody DevelopmentSystem(R) for the generation of fully human antibodies to an unlimited number of targets.     Under the terms of the new agreement, Centocor will license Medarex's UltiMAb(R)technology to discover and potentially develop and commercialize fully human antibody therapeutics.
http://www.centocor.com/centocor/index.html
Immune pioneers
Centocor not only helped pioneer the engineering of monoclonal antibodies in chronic disease therapy, we also set the standard for large-scale biomedicine manufacturing.  It involves an extremely complex process called perfusion bioreaction, which occurs in three phases and can take months to complete.Centocor is dedicated to finding new treatments to improve the lives of people living with immune-related conditions, specifically in the areas of:So what’s ahead for the Immunology Pioneers? We’re currently focusing on therapeutic areas of high unmet medical needs.Our world-class product pipeline is robust with a variety of innovative products. Revolutionary products that are targeted at new therapeutic areas…and expanding current indications. We’re exploring an array of new molecular entities that promise to take us well beyond our existing reach."Our success continues to bring rapid growth, many new challenges, and extraordinary opportunities to meet unmet medical needs and transform patients' lives."
— Jay P. Siegel, M.D.
Group President, R&D, Biotechnology, Immunology and Oncology

Offline hahaha

Re: Medarex HIV and CD8 pd-1 monoclonal antibodies centocor.com Immune pioneers
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 03:10:25 am »
Until Now, Medarex only want to use MDX-1106 on cancer clinical trial, NOT HIV,  and if you look at the clinical trial of MDX-1106, they EXECLUDED HIVer.   WHY???? Because we are inferior or what!!
Aug 9, 2006 Get infected in Japan #$%^*
Oct 2006 CD4 239
Nov 2006 CD4 299 VL 60,000
Dec 1, Sustiva, Ziagan and 3TC
Jan 07, CD4 400

Offline redhotmuslbear

• A genuine certified freak of nature, and a hot one
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 08:48:02 am »
Never confuse glib corporate press releases for a "ray of hope."  When well-off older, heterosexual American white men test HIV+ by the tens of thousands, then they will marshall their resources for HIV.  Til then, more research aimed at X cancer and Y cancer, arthritis and allergies.
"The real problem is not whether machines think but whether men do." - BF Skinner
12-31-09   222wks VL  2430 CD4 690 (37%)
09-30-09   208wks VL  2050  CD4 925 (42%)
06-25-08   143wks VL  1359  CD4 668 (32%)  CD8 885
02-11-08   123wks off meds:  VL 1364 CD4 892(40%/0.99 ratio)
10-19-07   112wks off meds:   VL 292  CD4 857(37%/0.85 ratio)

One copy of delta-32 for f*****d up CCR5 receptors, and an HLA B44+ allele for "CD8-mediated immunity"... beteer than winning Powerball, almost!

Offline jack

• fomerly the loser known as Jake
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 01:47:59 pm »
MEDX most likely has not entered HIV up to this point because they couldnt find anyone interested in their new technology. To date MEDX has no FDA approved products. MEDX is in many partnerships with larger Companies.
If any MEDX product is approved maybe we will see greater interest in HIV treatments. I have owned this stock for at least three years. If they dont get something approved soon,the stock will get slaughtered.
It is also very expensive to conduct trials.
It is very difficult for small companies like MEDX to get FDA approval without the help of powerful large companies who entertain and grease the government wheels.
Look what happened to DNDN! Provenge has proved to extend survival in prostrate cancer victims but was not approved. The reason given was, if Provenge was approved they would not be able to populate the placebo group of an ongoing trial because everyone would want something that makes them live longer. Go figure. Thats the kind of mindset companies like MEDX are dealing with at the FDA. It makes no sense.
HIVers are not the only the victims of the FDA.

Offline hahaha

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2007, 12:11:19 am »
If that is the case, can I purchase the drug (without FDA approval), by my own written consent of taking the risk?

FDA prohibit the drug to advertise as a drug, but they can not prohibit I, personally to purchase the drug if I "want to" and "knowing the risk", is that correct?
Aug 9, 2006 Get infected in Japan #$%^*
Oct 2006 CD4 239
Nov 2006 CD4 299 VL 60,000
Dec 1, Sustiva, Ziagan and 3TC
Jan 07, CD4 400

Offline bimazek

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2007, 08:06:18 pm »
Never confuse glib corporate press releases for a "ray of hope."  When well-off older, heterosexual American white men test HIV+ by the tens of thousands, then they will marshall their resources for HIV.  Til then, more research aimed at X cancer and Y cancer, arthritis and allergies.

This statement is so far from the truth that i dont know what to write, see my recent post where a brand new company got huge funding

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=15137.0

this shows and proves that if any science gets a good idea they can get tens of millions to pursue

there are teams and groups in every city in usa called Venture investors or angel investors, and they meet and listen to pitches and they invest millions in new ideas anyone is open to meet with them and ever city in USA and world has these mostly men

they write checks

hiv is a huge market so

there is big invests

yes in the last 15 years the meds got more money than vaccines for two reasons... vaccines had liability issues, big lawsuits if they get tainted and congress finally wrote a law to end that liability

other reason was that there was no success in any science ideas that were vaccines while thier were great sucesses immediately when they tried medicines to stop it

now that is being corrected so all are pursued

Offline Iggy

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2007, 12:17:45 am »
This statement is so far from the truth that i dont know what to write, see my recent post where a brand new company got huge funding

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=15137.0

this shows and proves that if any science gets a good idea they can get tens of millions to pursue

there are teams and groups in every city in usa called Venture investors or angel investors, and they meet and listen to pitches and they invest millions in new ideas anyone is open to meet with them and ever city in USA and world has these mostly men

they write checks

hiv is a huge market so

there is big invests

yes in the last 15 years the meds got more money than vaccines for two reasons... vaccines had liability issues, big lawsuits if they get tainted and congress finally wrote a law to end that liability

other reason was that there was no success in any science ideas that were vaccines while thier were great successes immediately when they tried medicines to stop it

now that is being corrected so all are pursued

Bim,

Please stop confusing venture capital investment with scientific backing or merit of something.

I worked for eight years in financial services and I saw millions invested by any one/org who was sold on a salespitch by a guy who makes a commission off of the investment, and who I might add is not versed in the actual sceince of the study.  Those investors were not involved or even interested in the science and only focused on the promised ROI or implied value the investment would have for either tax purposes or rounding out a portfolio for their own investors socially conscious requests (this happened often with pension funds and municipal investors.) 

The one point you are right about is that the HIV market (and I mean market as in investment market) is HUGE, but that is based off of fiances and not science.

In other words, being able to market a concept and raise money for a concept has NOTHING to do with the merit of the concept.  redhotmuslbear is right - what you posted is a company press release - similar to ones I drafted when I was in financial services and the purpose of the release is to raise more capital investment in the COMPANY and does not approach the critera for being a legitimate research paper in my opinion.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2007, 12:53:59 am by Iggy »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.