Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:51:23 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773304
  • Total Topics: 66349
  • Online Today: 657
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 633
Total: 633

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: What is a "Salvage Option"?  (Read 5962 times)

Offline Maestro

What is a "Salvage Option"?
« on: January 18, 2007, 03:11:25 pm »
I was doing some reading on the invirase my uncles takes and the article went on to say it is one of the older meds and there are better choices.  The article then stated that one of the best uses of invirase is as a salvage option....what does that mean?

The ID took my Uncle off of Viread due to severe kidney thrashing.  After reading this, I am wondering if they pick invirase beause the other "beter" options could follow a similar viread course...

Thoughts?

Thanks
M

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
Re: What is a "Salvage Option"?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 03:15:50 pm »
From my understanding, a 'salvage option' is a treatent that comes under consideration when other options fail.  Older and/or less effective (or more side effect prone) medicines that are brought into play when first line treatments aren't tolerated or beneficial anymore.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 03:21:27 pm »
This is my understanding of it as well.  It is a last line of defense option.
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline Alain

• I am.
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 03:41:13 pm »
right on, both of you!

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2007, 05:53:19 pm »
"Salvage" refers to any combo used where standard first-line treatment doesn't work, eg for resistance, or has to be changed used problems like your uncle's kidneys.  It includes second-line treatment, which is not always a the rescue  :) The term comes from  time when resistance happened quickly and people were out of options fast. Many people prefer second (third, fourth..) line treatment to "salvage" now.

- matt
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 07:09:49 pm by newt »
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007, 06:03:11 pm »
I'm not too keen on the term 'salvage therapy' myself.  For one thing, it has such a tone of desperation to it.  For another, it seems to imply a finality that may or may not be the case...a 'last chance' kind of thing.  With the ongoing advances in medicine, there may always be a new 5th, 6th, 7th or 8th line of treatment that comes to light.  I think I would be a lot more psychologically receptive to a potential treatment if it was presented to me another numbered treatment line than if I was told it was 'salvage treatment'.  Having it called that would make me mentally shift into 'make out my Living Will' mode.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline poet

• Poet living and working in Central Maine
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 06:15:39 pm »
Well perhaps think about cars?   You can salvage a car after a bad accident.  It won't be brought back to perfect, but it will run.  Or you salvage parts from a wreck because you can't find new ones to use at that moment.  Again, not perfect, but better than nothing.  You are right, Tim, that sometimes you use the salvage option while you are researching for something newer, better, available only through special arrangements with drug companies.  You need to stall for time, so this is what you do.  Win
Winthrop Smith has published three collections of poetry: Ghetto: From The First Five; The Weigh-In: Collected Poems; Skin Check: New York Poems.  The last was published in December 2006.  He has a work-in-progress underway titled Starting Positions.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2007, 06:43:18 pm »
::proud beneficial of salvage therapy::
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Eldon

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2007, 08:54:45 pm »
It is something that is extracted that is valuable or useful for him.

"What Can I do today to make a better Tommorrow?"

Offline jack

• fomerly the loser known as Jake
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2007, 09:18:05 pm »
I have been in salvage mode for the last 7 years. Its when there is nothing left and you just throw drugs at the wall and see what sticks. I hope they keep coming up with new drugs but it is scary for a few moments when you realize you are resistant to everything. Thats when you start lying to get in trials.  I had to take three drugs I was resistant to for a few months just so I could get in this trial.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2007, 09:28:33 pm »
Please.  I had to take PI's for YEARS when I'm something like 90% resistant to ALL of them.  The odd thing is that, though my VL was high (though at a constant range of around 30,000) my cd4s kept going up.

As of May of this year I'm no longer on "salvage."   They got me on prezista while it was still in phase 4 at the tale end and paired it with fuzeon.  Fab results.  And really, what's life without a daily injection?

Offline jack

• fomerly the loser known as Jake
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2007, 06:45:29 am »
The fuzzy bumps are a real bitch. I had an allergic reaction to fuzeon. What did you mean by "please"?

Offline Maestro

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2007, 08:20:21 am »
OK.  So Salvage Option might not be the best name...BUT, it seems like Invirase is not a preferred treatment.  I don't even see many members with it mentioned in their Signatures.  I wonder why the ID went straight from Viread to a Salvage Option?  Nothing else was tried...tested...nothing...

Is there a correlation between Viread causing Kidney issues and other meds also causing kidney issues?  I'm thinking maybe the doc went with Invirase just to not take a chance with the other meds out there...

(By the way, he is also taking Kaletra and Ziagen...)

M

Offline poet

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2007, 08:48:47 am »
Maestro, if I may borrow your last post to make a point, if someone else reading this thread finds him or herself asking: I wonder why the ID went straight from Viread to a Salvage Option?  Nothing else was tried...tested...nothing...' and, unlike the Maestro, it concerns yourself, your health, for goodness sake ask your id/hcp/pcp.  And before agreeing to the decision, if it is not deemed an emergency, bring it here for those more knowledgeable than I am with such things to post comments or refer to studies.  Win
Winthrop Smith has published three collections of poetry: Ghetto: From The First Five; The Weigh-In: Collected Poems; Skin Check: New York Poems.  The last was published in December 2006.  He has a work-in-progress underway titled Starting Positions.

Offline Maestro

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2007, 09:02:07 am »
Maestro, if I may borrow your last post to make a point, if someone else reading this thread finds him or herself asking: I wonder why the ID went straight from Viread to a Salvage Option?  Nothing else was tried...tested...nothing...' and, unlike the Maestro, it concerns yourself, your health, for goodness sake ask your id/hcp/pcp.  And before agreeing to the decision, if it is not deemed an emergency, bring it here for those more knowledgeable than I am with such things to post comments or refer to studies.  Win

Ummm...huh?

Offline poet

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2007, 09:06:51 am »
Sorry for the confusion.  In your case, you are asking on behalf of your Uncle, right?  So you may or may not be able to nail things down directly with his id/pcp/hcp?  What I wanted to stress to people reading this thread who are dealing with their own health issues and do have legal, direct access to their hcp/pcp/id: don't walk away wondering.  Ask, ask, ask until it makes sense to you.  Win

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2007, 09:23:25 am »
Maestro

You uncle is taking Ziagen, Invirase, and Kaletra if I remember rightly(?)

Invirase-Kaletra is a relatively well-used double PI combination, and with Ziagen, counts as the necessary 3 drugs from at least two classes that combo requires.

Now, why not another nuke like 3TC? Why Invirase?

This is a fair question, there may be other drugs you can use, but Invirase seems a reasonable choice, especially if your uncle has some nuke resistance.  (ask about this.)  3TC and Ziagen share a great deal in tems of resistance (not everything though) and therefore may be really count as one drug rather than two if used together (and there are particular mutations present). You want at least two really active drugs, ideally three.

I don't consider this a "salvage" option.  It looks to me like a choice based on your uncle's health condition which means Viread is off the cards.  It may not be the only option.  (ask about this too.)

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline Maestro

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2007, 09:31:35 am »
Thanks Newt.  You are correct on the meds he is taking.  I'm assuming Invirase was his only option....but, I don't know for sure.  Thought maybe taking Viread off the list of possible meds also excluded others by association or similarities...

M

Offline Christine

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2007, 11:39:58 am »
Has your Uncle had genotype/phenotype tests done?

I've been on salvage therapy for years also. Don't let the term bother you.

How has your Uncle been doing?

Christine
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2007, 01:20:34 pm »
OK.  So Salvage Option might not be the best name...BUT, it seems like Invirase is not a preferred treatment.  I don't even see many members with it mentioned in their Signatures.  I wonder why the ID went straight from Viread to a Salvage Option?  Nothing else was tried...tested...nothing...

Is there a correlation between Viread causing Kidney issues and other meds also causing kidney issues?  I'm thinking maybe the doc went with Invirase just to not take a chance with the other meds out there...

(By the way, he is also taking Kaletra and Ziagen...)

M

Before my current treatment they added Invirase to my Kaletra as a "salvage."  I think I was on that for a year or two along with Truvada and something else.  Do you have any idea what the genotype looks like for his PI resistance?

Offline Maestro

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2007, 01:27:02 pm »
How has your Uncle been doing?

Christine

Crazier than a shithouse rat!  But that's an whole other thread!

M

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.