Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:28:01 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773198
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 503
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 439
Total: 440

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: I switched from Atripla to Viramune + Truvada  (Read 4847 times)

Offline StacheBC

• Hello
I switched from Atripla to Viramune + Truvada
« on: May 29, 2011, 02:39:12 am »
About 2 months ago I switched from Atripla (Sustiva + Truvada) to Viramune + Truvada.

The switch was easy... since I take my 2 viramune and 1 truvada in the evening just before going to bed. No additional side effects.

I did very well on Atripla (VL and mood wise), but at times I could notice that my mind wasn’t as sharp as it used to be.
My doctor was actually the one that suggested the switch.
2 Months down the line I’m glad I did make the switch. When I wake up I tend to feel more refreshed, it took a while but I think my mind/thinking is clearer... and although I thought Sustiva wasn’t affecting my mood... After the first month off of Sustiva I did notice that just felt more at ease, just happier.

So if my liver continues happy, Viramune+Truvada and I are the best of buds.

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
Re: I switched from Atripla to Viramune + Truvada
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 04:13:56 am »
Good to see you back here!

Anyway, is the resistance threshold for Viramune something to worry about?  With the XR version of this drug it's yet another weapon in the HAART arsenal I've been contemplating.

Offline northernguy

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 02:27:28 am »
Was that the only option to switch to here in BC, Stache?  I kind of get the impression it is.  Any concerns about the liver with your cd4 count?
Apr 28/06 cd4 600 vl 10,600 cd% 25
Nov 8/09 cd4 510 vl 49,5000 cd% 16
Jan 16/10 cd4 660 vl 54,309 cd% 16
Feb 17/10 Started Atripla
Mar 7/10 cd4 710 vl 1,076 cd% 21
Apr 18/10 cd4 920 vl 268 cd% 28
Jun 19/10 cd4 450 vl 60 cd% 25
Aug 15/10 cd4 680 vl 205 cd% 27
Apr 3/11 cd4 780 vl <40 cd% 30
Jul 17/11 cd4 960 vl <40 cd%33
April 15/12 cd4 1,010 vl <40 cd% 39
April 20/12 Switched to Viramune + Truvada
Aug 2/12 cd4 1040, vl <40, cd% 38
Oct 19 cd4 1,110 vl <40 cd% 41

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 07:47:19 am »
About 2 months ago I switched from Atripla (Sustiva + Truvada) to Viramune + Truvada.

So if my liver continues happy, Viramune+Truvada and I are the best of buds.

Hi,

Glad to hear that all's going well for you, with the switch.  I am still waiting for the single dose of Viramune to come out. The doc told me, as soon as it's available to the VA, that I will receive it.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline eric48

• Standard
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 05:48:26 pm »
... is the resistance threshold for Viramune something to worry about? ....

I am not being affirmative here, but, since I keep track of latest info concerning Viramune + Epzicom here:

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=33062.0

and I have had a recent discussion with my doc about Viramune (not being the most popular in part because of the resistance threshold).

Viramune is not prescribed alone and the meds associated to it (usually Truvada or Epzicom) are very potent (compared to older meds).

Not only you may have noticed that the warning that Viramune should not be prescribed to males with CD4 above 400 and women with CD4 above 250 remains enforced for treatment naives BUT that it has officially been dropped for treatment experienced

Moreover, my doc, who is a member of those guidelines boards, told me that the other recommendation not to prescribe Viramune to treatment naives with VL above 100.000 is also going to be revisited and the threshold removed of lift up. (note: nothing official has been published yet...)

This to point out that while the 'resistance threshold' may be a concern, it is not as high a concern as it used to be.

Switching to Viramune is IMHO a quite smart option in several contexts (cost concerns, cholesterol concerns, etc)

I have commented it here :

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=33062.msg465091#msg465091

and here:

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=36800.0

to StacheBC :

Glad to see you seem content with the switch. One of the things you may see in a not to distant future is a raise of your HDL (the good one...). It would be nice if you could report it here if you observe it as well.

I feel very comfortable with Viramune (with I take once daily , off label, without problem so far)

I might have been a bit happier with Truvada than Epzicom, I do not know, and most likely will never know...

So you are not a true pill buddy of mine, but close enough, and I wish you well

Eric

side note: I am now able to take it in the morning (at the begining, I really had to take my combo in the evenings... but no more, and I find the morning more convinient, but, that, of course is a personnal choice)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 05:54:13 pm by eric48 »
NVP/ABC/3TC/... UD ; CD4 > 900; CD4/CD8 ~ 1.5   stock : 6 months (2013: FOTO= 5d. ON 2d. OFF ; 2014: Clin. Trial NCT02157311 = 4days ON, 3days OFF ; 2015: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02157311 ; 2016: use of granted patent US9101633, 3 days ON, 4days OFF; 2017: added TDF, so NVP/TDF/ABC/3TC, once weekly

Offline StacheBC

• Hello
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 01:43:25 am »
Good to see you back here!

Anyway, is the resistance threshold for Viramune something to worry about?  With the XR version of this drug it's yet another weapon in the HAART arsenal I've been contemplating.

Thank you !!

My doctor tells me that they now have a better understanding of Viramune regarding effectiveness and resistance threshold... and although there are some trade offs of possible side affects when compared to Sustiva, Viramune is making a big come back as a first line alternative to the classic Sustiva+Truvada combo... principally in cases where patients have any sort of complaints or reason to suspect that Sustiva is affecting their head/thought in any way.
Also here in Canada it's pretty much standard practise to take Viramune once a day in its current form. So again... once a day pills... just like Atripla. Only difference instead of one Pill... I take 3.

Also I want to make it clear that I did Very well on Atripla... and would still go back to it if for what ever reason Viramune didn't agree with me. I was actually quite hesitant to take my doctor's recommendation to switch... since the side effect were so minimal. I say that because I think Atripla (read Sustiva) has such a bad rap... reason we see so many people in almost a panic the first few days they take the drug... more so then any other combos.

Now that I'm on Viramune I do see some minor improvements in mood and sleep that I wasn't even aware that had changed (your milage may vary).

I do miss the nice coating Atripla has... although they are good sized pills, they did go down easier than the smaller 3 pill combo I'm on now

Offline StacheBC

• Hello
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2011, 01:54:07 am »

So you are not a true pill buddy of mine, but close enough, and I wish you well

Eric

side note: I am now able to take it in the morning (at the beginning, I really had to take my combo in the evenings... but no more, and I find the morning more convenient, but, that, of course is a personal choice)

Pill Buddies we are  :-*

Glad you're able to "take it" in the morning  ;) ;)
I myself like to Give AND Take in the morning, afternoon and night. ;D ::) ;D

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.