Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 07:18:24 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773294
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 718
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 712
Total: 714

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Doing okay but having trouble understanding results  (Read 6154 times)

Offline jrw94

Doing okay but having trouble understanding results
« on: August 12, 2020, 03:44:22 pm »
Hi,

I was recently diagnosed, and I'm starting to get back results from my first labs. My initial CD4 count is 313 and 22%. My viral load is 37,400. I started biktarvy and it has been going well so far, I've been on it about a week with no side effects.

My questions would be are those numbers concerning? I know the CD4 could be a lot lower and the VL could be a lot higher, but I worry with everything going on in the world right now, does 313 mean my immune system is compromised enough to be an issue?

And also my dr told me with the biktarvy the time of day it's taken doesn't really matter, but to try to take it around the same time. How strict do we need to be about the time of day we take our meds? The first day I took it right when I got it in the afternoon, but I'm struggling to take it at the exact same time every afternoon, so I'm wondering if it would be better to take before I go to bed or just after waking up.

Thanks

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: Doing okay but having trouble understanding results
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2020, 04:36:06 pm »
Hiya,

Welcome to the forum, sorry to hear about the diagnosis.
Glad to see you have started treatment and VIP treatment as some would call it at that. ;)

My questions would be are those numbers concerning? I know the CD4 could be a lot lower and the VL could be a lot higher, but I worry with everything going on in the world right now, does 313 mean my immune system is compromised enough to be an issue?

Your CD4 of 313 is slightly below the average of an HIV negative person (400-1200), however, above 200 (14%) so it's rather irrelevant.

The viral load, it's higher than wanted, hence the treatment. With treatment, the goal is to reduce the viral load until suppressed, stopping the virus from doing any further uncontrolled damage. This is far more important than the CD4 counts.

And also my dr told me with the biktarvy the time of day it's taken doesn't really matter, but to try to take it around the same time. How strict do we need to be about the time of day we take our meds? The first day I took it right when I got it in the afternoon, but I'm struggling to take it at the exact same time every afternoon, so I'm wondering if it would be better to take before I go to bed or just after waking up.

Well, having a routine when to take the meds helps to reduce the odds of missing a dose, at least that's what I think, I take my meds in the morning as that's what works well for me.

You say your doing okay, but, how do you feel?

Best, Jim

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/starting-hiv-treatment

COVID Info:
https://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=73775.0

HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline kentfrat1783

• Instagram: kentfrat1783
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2020, 06:40:12 pm »
Hi,

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis but hope you are dealing with it well.  This is a great forum to ask questions. 

I do understand you are new here and I had many of the same questions but I would feel great starting out with 313 CD4's.  It is a tad low but for someone that is starting out you are at a good level.  As Jim mentioned, it is above 200 so you have that going for you.  I'm sure after a few visits that number will improve. 

But you do need to remember that the medication works to keep your viral load (VL) undetectable, and in turn your CD4 should go up as your body is able to recover. 

I set an alarm to take my medication so I would take it the same time each day.  Now, if you plan to take your medication at (let's say) 5:00 PM and some days you take it at 4:30 PM and another at 5:30 PM it isn't the end of the world.  Just try to take it at the same time. 

In the end if you have questions ask your doctor.  It did take a while for me to find a doctor that I was comfortable with but found one and doing so much better.  You will start to learn about yout body and when to ask questions.  No question is silly.

Wishing you the best. 

Kenneth
Date - CD4 - Percent - VL
08/23/23 - 366 - 26%
06/20/23 - 349 - 21% - UD
04/15/23 - 229 - 19% - <20
11/14/22 - 486 - 24% - 73
10/12/22 - 316 - 19% - <20
06/20/22 - 292 - 21% - <20
01/25/22 - 321 - 22% - <20
09/22/21 - 278 - 19% - <20
02/02/21 - 225 - 19% - <20
06/08/20 - 257 - 20% - <20
03/17/20 - 285 - 19% - 101 (2.00)
12/17/19 - 290 - 20% - <20
09/17/19 - 218 - 16%
06/18/19 - 173 - 16% - <20
03/13/19 - 170 - 16% - <20
January 2019 - Started Triumeq
12/05/08 - 174 - 18% - <20
08/28/18 - 166 - 15% - <20
05/08/18 - 106 - 11% - <20
03/05/18 -   90 - 10% - <20
12/11/17 -   60 -   8%
09/07/17 -   42 -   6% - 54 (1.70)
May 2017 - Started Atripla
05/11/17 -    2 -    1% - 169,969 (5.23)
OI's: PCP
Dx`d May 11, 2017

Offline Tonny2

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2020, 08:20:38 am »

ojo.         Hello there!... Welcome, you are not alone anymore. Here, you can share with others your questions and your story... I agree with Jim, if you take your medication at the same time every day, you will create a routine so you won’t forget to take your medication. I envy you because I take four pills twice a day, which means, that I take for in the morning and four at night. So do you had to choose what in the 80s easier for you, Either morning or before bed... I wouldn’t worry how about Wes going on in the world, just follow instructions to try to keep yourself safe, your medication (VIP) Will take care of the virus soon, giving you peace of mind... Wishing you the best, we are here to help you,Hugs

Ps, English is my second language
I am legally blind
And I am dictating to my cell phone. In case you don’t understand what I’m trying to say in this post

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.