Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 01:02:51 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 178
Total: 179

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Poz from the Philippines  (Read 6631 times)

Offline burrai

Poz from the Philippines
« on: March 01, 2017, 11:51:54 am »
Hi,

For weeks I've been visiting this forum to compare symptoms that might shine some light that I might not have HIV. And today I just received my confirmatory test result, and it was positive.

as of confirmatory result letter
EIA - Reactive
4th Gen - Reactive (93.xx)
Western Blot - Positive (gp160, gp120, p24)

I am a gay male living in the Philippines, 22, starting to having a sex life and unfortunately chose the wrong guys.

What I want to discuss is could you guys help me analyze whom among the guy I've had sex with could possibly be the one who I got trasmitted with.

Dec 21 - Non-reactive (4th gen duo)
Jan 4 - Non-reactive (4th gen duo)
Jan 31 - Reactive (Faint line - antibody 4th gen duo)
Reactive (EIA)

Dec 7 - Oral sex
The guy throat fucked me and ejaculated on my mouth, afterwards I spat some blood due to the intensity of the intercourse.

Dec 17 - Status unknown, had protected anal sex. Unprotected oral sex

Dec 22 - Current lover, claims to had tested Oct., had worked overseas, insists on having unprotected sex. Still insist in having unprotected sex even I told him I was reactive.

January 5 - Seroconversion

I was thinking the high risk intercourse was the first one, but since Antigen test from the duo should have appeared reactive since 2 weeks is its window period, and at it's peak on the 4th week from infection.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: Poz from the Philippines
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 01:16:06 pm »
Hi

Look the window could be anything up-to 3 months and include all of the above contacts. As for your current partner he tested in October so negative in August of 2016 it does not mean much to you that he was negative from HIV or STI's back than.

Short of it is you are HIV positive and life goes on, have you spoken about treatment options in your part of the woods and have you also tested for other STI's since you last contact?

Anyhow wishing you all the best

Jim
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 01:21:40 pm »
burrai:  sorry to read that you are HIV positive, but glad you found out early, so that treatment can begin, and that you found these forums for support and enlightenment.

As to determining from whom you contracted the virus, it really does not matter at this point, but all should be contacted in order that they get tested and on treatment
for their own health and the health of their future partners.

In any scenario, one must take the responsibility to protect themselves, too.

However, presuming that the incidents you describe below are your only incidents, one might statistically suspect that the partner of December 22 (presuming the unprotected sex was anal) could be the most likely person who passed on the virus to you.  Following that incident, the December 17 encounter could be considered, if the condom somehow failed.

The other scenarios are unlikely, but not impossible, just highly unlikely statistically.

Rather than focus on the past (other than to seek ways to inform your partners for the reasons mentioned), look to the future.  Most of us HIV positive people on this forum have made a human mistake (the exception being those born with the virus) and it is natural to relay the incident that may have infected us and ruminate over it:  but it is all to no avail, really.  We can't change the past, but we can do everything to make sure our futures are as healthy and successful as possible.

Your goal now should be to get on the proper medication regimen and live a long and healthy life fully.
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline burrai

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 02:10:38 pm »
Accomodations for HIV patients here in the Philippines is pretty good. Since there was a spike on the HIV rates, the government subsidized almost all of the expenses.
Though there is still lack of equipment. It took a month till I had my confirmatory result.

Yes I had been tested for other STIs and all came back negative. I'll be starting treatment on Saturday, I have to travel 4 hours just to get my baseline checked.

And as of tracking down who I got it from, I contacted all of them, and it narrowed down to this three. Including my partner, they are afraid of getting tested. Considering I told them it's for the best.

Since I've waited for a month for the result, I kinda had time to think over life, future, and all the depression and grief. Now that it's confirmed, I'm handling it well.

And especially seeing both of your posts from other threads, I see that it is managable and isn't a burden. It's just an additional routine on our daily lives.

Offline burrai

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 02:21:03 pm »
Any advices regarding opportunistic infection?

Like am I now prone of getting sick from someone who has a cold at this early stage of infection?
What do I avoid?

Or basically any specific advice to a newly diagnosed poz.

By the way, thank you for replying that quickly. It really warms me to communicate with fellow poz. Since the virus is just newly being targeted by the media here in the Philippines, being public about it is really a controversy. Considering I live in a provincial part of the country.

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 03:01:16 pm »
You will need to know your CD4 count and viral load.  If your CD4 count is above 200, you are out of the "danger zone" for the vast majority of opportunistic infections.  Your CD4 is likely above 200, since you appear to have been recently infected.

With CD4's above 200 you are no more likely to get a "cold" any more, really, than anyone else, including HIV-negative people.  On the flip side, sure, you will get "colds" sometimes, just like everyone else: no need to walk around with a surgical mask, etc.  The immune system is complicated and intricate, and much of it will function fine, even with an HIV infection.

Once you learn your CD4 count and viral load, the important goal for you is to take your antiretrovirals to achieve and maintain an "undetectable" viral load, which means HIV replication in your body has been suppressed.  That's a good thing, and will, in turn, allow your CD4 count to rise.  If your CD4's are in decent shape, the CD4 count will not matter.  It's the viral load that matters.

Keep a good good attitude, take your medications (one a medication has been prescribed to you), and go about your life:  you will be fine.

Peruse information through this link for those newly diagnosed:

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/newly-diagnosed
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline burrai

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2017, 03:14:29 pm »
The next thing corcerned of is how long does an ART complaint poz till the CD4 count reaches 200?

Perhaps like in my situation, 22, recently infected, and pressumably I won't miss any meds. How long will it take for me to reach that level?

Sorry for being straight forward. I'm really grateful for your response. :)

Also regard to the link you posted, my problem is that there are no nearby support group existing here at my province, there's one in Manila which is 9 hours away from here. That's why I think I'll be spending my time here in the forum as a temporary alternative for a support group.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2017, 03:28:12 pm »
Hi

Look ART does not increase your CD4, nothing does. It is your body that does that.

What HIV treatment does is suppress the virus so your body can focus on better things, and yes from this your CD4 will go up, however the "how-long" that takes varies from person to person.

The real focus is taking you meds and suppressing the virus so it is no longer doing uncontrolled damage.

Jim

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/starting-hiv-treatment
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2017, 03:44:15 pm »
Your CD4's may now be above 200, since it appears that you have been infected recently.  You need a baseline count of your CD4's, now that you have been diagnosed.

If your CD4's are below 200, the time will vary from individual to individual as to how long it may take before the CD4's rise to 200 and above.  That's why it's crucial to attain and maintain an "undetectable" viral load, in order to stop the replication of the HIV in your body, which, in turn, will allow your CD4 count to repair and recover.

But first things first.  Your healthcare provider needs to test for your baseline CD4 count, your HIV viral load, and your HIV genotype, in order to prescribe you the appropriate medication regimen for you to initiate to start the healing process.

You are free to seek as much advice, information, and support from these forums as you need.  There are many good people here who will be pleased to assist and guide you as you begin your lifelong journey to full and complete health.
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2017, 03:44:48 pm »
Any advices regarding opportunistic infection?

Like am I now prone of getting sick from someone who has a cold at this early stage of infection?
What do I avoid?

Patrick has already answered this but I will chime in on look the long term part.

To avoid toxoplasma - don't lick the cats anus  ;) 

Look all joking aside live your life as normal no real special precautions, so once your on treatment and you CD4's are above 200 and rising there is not much you can do, take your meds, keep the HIV suppressed.

One thing you can do is talk to your doc and at some stage get vaccinated for illnesses so preventative, now this does differs per region of the globe but think of hepatitis B; influenza (flu) (Yearly) ; human papillomavirus (HPV) ; pneumococcal (pneumonia) etc

Jim
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline burrai

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2017, 08:02:37 am »
Just an update.

Haven't started ARVs yet, but I already got my CD4 count and it's 647 (yaaaay), though didn't had a Viral load test. For government cost efficiency, they only use Viral load test to monitor drug resistence.

I have a question, in a scale of 1-10. How difficult is it to undergo ARV's side effects? I know it varies from different drugs and to different people. I just want to have a heads up before I start next week. Thanks! :D
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 08:04:47 am by burrai »

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2017, 08:12:11 am »
You should not expect any side effects other than a few adjustment days/weeks.
Few bad dreams, mild adjustment.

So on a scale from 1-10, well I've had worse time in my life from dealing with drinking milkshakes too fast.

Jim
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2017, 08:28:57 am »
Hi burrai, Jim's right the newer meds are very gentle and I doubt you will notice little if any side affects. You will be just fine  :)

Wade
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 HIV Testing
 HIV TasP
 HIV prevention
 PEP and PrEP

Offline burrai

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2017, 09:06:20 am »
Cheers to a positive life then :D

Thanks guys!

Offline Greg01

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2017, 10:08:19 pm »

Dec 22 - Current lover, claims to had tested Oct., had worked overseas, insists on having unprotected sex. Still insist in having unprotected sex even I told him I was reactive.

Hi.  I hope you are continuing to do well.  Your CD4 count is great!  It is important to get your viral load and begin medication, as soon as possible.

I have included a part of what you wrote, above.  No one has mentioned this yet, so I would like to.  This current lover who claims to have tested negative in October but insists on having unprotected sex, and continues to insist on it, despite having learned that you were reactive, is, to say the least, interesting.  I would be very concerned about it.  Think for a moment:  Why would an HIV negative person desire to continue having unprotected anal sex with someone who is positive?  One possible explanation is he is the top and he is on PREP, but I would get the answers to these questions from him.  Another explanation, and this is just speculation, your current lover may very well be positive and know he is positive, it would explain why he is not only comfortable, but is insistent, upon having unprotected anal sex now that he knows you are positive, while claiming to be negative.  Just from my perspective, everything about this situation of what your current lover has and continues to ask you to do sexually raises a red flag, and I would find this behavior concerning and want additional information about it from him.  If he is negative or on PREP he can easily prove that.  If he is not willing to address your questions head on with some proof then it's quite possible he has deceived you, and maybe at the expense of your own heath.  Trust is crucial to all relationships, and at this point, if you are still seeing him, his clearing up this mystery seems not only warranted, but essential, to me, anyhow.

Greg
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 10:34:14 pm by Greg01 »
01/09/2017 - Reactive HIV Antibody test
01/18/2017 - Diagnosed HIV Positive
02/14/2017 - CD4 373, VL 80,690
03/09/2017 - Started Triumeq

Offline Greg01

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2017, 10:49:48 pm »
I would like to correct myself on something.  You did not say that your current partner, who you had sex with on December 22nd, and insists on having unprotected sex, even after learning you were reactive, had unprotected anal sex with you.  Somehow I thought that to be the case, but you did not say that.  My apologies.  Other than that I stand by all I shared. 

Best,

Greg

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2017, 12:47:15 pm »
Why would an HIV negative person desire to continue having unprotected anal sex with someone who is positive?

There can be plenty of reasons and I know a few people like this, however speculating about the OP's ex reasons is not going to help or change much.

Simple fact is unprotected intercourse is a risk and even if someone tested today it means nothing. So protect yourself and as for the OP, the focus is on moving forward instead of looking at the past.

Jim
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 12:50:22 pm by JimDublin »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Greg01

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2017, 01:22:45 pm »
Hi Jim,

What I shared is only relevant if he is still with that person.  He didn't refer to him as his ex in the post but as his current.

Best,

Greg

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2017, 01:29:18 pm »
Hi Greg,

Sure current, but same thing.

There can be plenty of reasons why HIV negative people have unprotected sex only even when they suspect or know the partner is or may be HIV positive and I know a few people like this, however speculating about it is not going to help or change much for the OP.

Simple fact is unprotected intercourse is a risk, we have no idea about the partners status as he tested in October and even if someone tested today it means nothing. People need to protect themselves and as for the OP, the focus is on moving forward instead of looking at the past.

Jim
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline burrai

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2017, 09:34:36 pm »
A lot of people here in this part of the country aren't much educated with regards to safe sex.
I tried Grindr again just to catch and release (I swear ;D), and they just evaluate what I look, and how many guys I've been with to decide if I'm safe or what. They also said that either I provide the condom or not use one at all.

I think my city is on a tipping point to an epidemic. :/

Update about me

Just took my 3rd pill last night, slept the morning before so I'm up all night. Side effect was hard headache for an hour, and for 5 hours I'm feeling slightly dizzy. Will it be always like this, or side effect will become less in time?

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2017, 01:39:54 am »
Just give your body a week or so to settle in.
Also what meds are you taking?

Jim
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline burrai

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2017, 04:50:45 am »
Thanks Jim

Generic ones TFD+Efavirenz+Lamivudine. Haven't requested for branded ones yet, then again I can't afford it anyway :P
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 04:56:16 am by burrai »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.