Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 02, 2024, 04:43:10 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37617
  • Latest: NChio
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772996
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 219
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 180
Total: 181

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: am I at risk?  (Read 4974 times)

Offline worriedswede

am I at risk?
« on: October 25, 2008, 06:04:02 pm »
Hi!
I really need some help and advice here! IM SO F***ING SCARED! :'(

I'm a 29 yo woman, who had casual sex with unknown male after a crazy night out (stupid)...I was drunk but can recall most (all) parts of the situation (protected intercourse 2-3 times, no oral)!
But please try to forget about the "protected"part..because there IS A BIG RISK THAT THE CONDOME BROKE and he didn't tell me! Maybe it's me being paranoid but I got symptoms of ARS....... :-\ Otherwise I would never had been worried like this!

The symptoms came 26 days after, low grade fever, very sore throat, sore and stiff neck lasting only one night/one day. After 2 days I had serious diarrhea and felt fatigue, tired and sore for maximum of a week, I also had swollen lymph nodes and they are still there 6 months later (around my clavicle, lower neck, groin and behind one ear.

If I wouldn't had these symptoms I wouldn't worry much for HIV since we used condom (always do) and there were no oral sex involved. But I do NOT trust this guy now and I have realised now many months after that he's a liar and lied about many things, probably also about his HIV-status! I called him afterwards and he promised to let me see his neg. test result but changed his mind the day after.

I know you can't say much of my symptoms but I need to know; What is a typical condom breakage? Is there a change of a small hole or do they generally tear totally? Would I have noticed if it was a breakage? I mean it could have been a breakage without him telling me......
Is it possible to have ARS symptoms for a short time like 1 night/1 day?
My lymph nodes are my greatest cause of concern...why are they still swollen????
I JUST WANNA SCREAM! I don't have anybody to talk to...If I'm positive, who should I tell? Can I found love? Can I have a baby? ???
I've got so many questions.....

I'm so scared now...I do understand I have to get a test!
Must say it feels much better after I've been reading many of the other posts in all the diffrent forums...
If I test positive, I guess this site will be my rescue!!!!!!
Please be honest with me, yet I guess I already know I'm +?????? :-\

Thanks to you all, much appreciated! :)

Offline RapidRod

Re: am I at risk?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 06:30:40 pm »
Go get an HIV test. Your test would be conclusive.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 06:33:45 am »
worried,

When condoms break, it's very noticable. Besides, he probably would have said something, like maybe asking you if you're on the pill.

Neither symptoms or the lack of them will tell you a single thing about your hiv status. Many people never experience ANY ARS symptoms when they become infected. It's sheer folly to go on symptoms or the lack of them alone to know your hiv status. ONLY testing will do that.

If you're worried about your hiv status, then you'll have to test. A test at three months past your last incident of unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse will be conclusive. In other words, you can test now, as Rodney pointed out, over this incident you're worried about and it will be conclusive.

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex with a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through all three condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Keep using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline worriedswede

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 05:08:27 pm »
Thanks for replies! :)
Just want to ask if it's possible to have the Primary Infection or sero-conversion 26-27 days after the sex???!!! It's not to long??!!
Please tell me something more about the risk of having condome break...For example; I wouldn't have been able to feel semen down there???  ::)Sorry for nasty details but I can't stop thinking about this!
Fu** i'm scared! :-\

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 07:08:33 pm »
Whoa! You need to slow down right now and take some good deep and slow breaths in and out. It's way, way premature to talking about whether you can have a baby or not.

From what you have reported you have a single POSSIBLE exposure with a broken condom. You're actually not even certain about that. Ann has already told you that symptoms will never tell you anything accurately and there certainly nothing HIV-specific about anything you are reporting.

So what you need to do is to get tested. The CDC recommends doing that at 13 weeks past the most recent possible exposure. You can if you need to do for your peace of mind take an initial test at 6 weeks. All but the very smallest number of those who are going to seroconvert will do so within 4-6 weeks of an exposure. Assuming you test negative, which I think is very likely, then you should re-test at 13 weeks for a final, conclusive result.

Meantime you need to really work on focusing your attention on other productive matters in your life. That will help to pass the waiting time much more quickly than you likely imagine is possible. But it can be done, so get busy now with other things. And keep doing that breathing whenever you may find yourself tensing up.

Keep us posted on your test results.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

Offline worriedswede

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 01:27:36 pm »
Thanks alot!
I will go and get tested soon, and i'll keep you posted!
/ :-\

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 02:01:59 pm »
Good and good luck.
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.