Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:30:33 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773199
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 519
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 500
Total: 500

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Irelands 30,000 Stolen Childhoods...  (Read 4179 times)

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
Irelands 30,000 Stolen Childhoods...
« on: May 21, 2009, 07:51:04 am »
This article appeared on the front page of this mornings, St. Petersburg Times :

Irish school victims angry that abusers not named.

By SHAWN POGATCHNIK
Associated Press Writer

http://customwire.ap.org/dynamic/stories/E/EU_IRELAND_CATHOLIC_ABUSE?SITE=FLPET&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2009-05-20-13-19-17

Thousands Beaten, Raped in Irish Reform Schools

Latest News
Irish school victims angry that abusers not named

DUBLIN (AP) -- The thousands of victims of Ireland's child-abuse homes spent decades just trying to get the public to believe them. But even after a mammoth investigation proved the horrors of their youth, many say they are no nearer to real justice.

A nine-year probe into child abuse by Ireland's Catholic religious orders painted a damning portrait of a system that shielded child-molesters from justice and trapped generations of Ireland's poorest children to misery from the 1930s to the 1990s.

Irish President Mary McAleese on Thursday denounced what she called an "atrocious betrayal of love" by Catholic clergy toward these children. She praised the victims for demanding the truth, despite Irish Catholic society's desire to doubt them and look the other way.

"My heart goes out to the victims of this terrible injustice, an injustice compounded by the fact that they had to suffer in silence for so long," McAleese said. "This report utterly vindicates their determination to break that silence."

But the victims, now mostly in their 50s to 80s, said Wednesday's 2,600-page report, despite its unprecedented scope and detail, did not make public what matters most - the names of their abusers.

That's because a religious order at the heart of the abuse charges - the Christian Brothers - successfully sued the investigators to keep the identities of all their abusive members secret.

"I do genuinely believe that it would have been a further step towards our healing if our abusers had been named and shamed," said Christine Buckley, 62, who spent her first 18 years in a Dublin orphanage run by Sisters of Mercy nuns.

Buckley, the daughter of an unwed mother, said the orphanage was closed to the outside world and the children inside lived a life of slave labor manufacturing rosaries. She said there was no way to escape the ritual humiliation, beatings and rape regardless of whether the children achieved their quota of producing 60 rosaries per day.

She didn't track down her parents, an Irish mother and Nigerian father, until her 40s, when she became one of the first to demand justice for her stolen youth.

"I didn't have a childhood," said Buckley, who recalled being constantly cold, hungry and thirsty as the nuns denied children water to keep them from wetting their beds. She was severely beaten by a nun for trying to smuggle out a letter detailing the abuse, she said - which included being forced to have a "date" with a pedophile on the staff.

The Catholic religious orders that ran 52 workhouse-style reform schools from the late 19th century until the mid-1990s apologized after the report's release, speaking of their shame and regret. Abuses also took place at 216 other church-run institutions for children, which included orphanages, hostels, regular schools and schools for the disabled.

The report - even in a country hardened by 15 years of revelations about sex-predator priests - has shocked and sickened the nation.

But the Christian Brothers indicated they would continue to protect the identities of rank-and-file brothers accused of abuse - men who were never reported to police, and instead were allowed to change jobs and keep harming children.

The Christian Brothers' leader in Ireland, Brother Kevin Mullan, said the organization had been right to keep names of even the most well-documented abusers out of Wednesday's report because "perhaps we had doubts about some of the allegations."

"But on the other hand, I'd have to say that at this stage, we have no interest in protecting people who were perpetrators of abuse," Mullan said, vowing to cooperate fully with any further investigation.

Buckley said the religious orders for years branded victims as money-seeking liars - and were incapable of admitting their guilt today. She specifically criticized Mullan.

"(Now) he doesn't mind if the abusers are named and shamed? Isn't that a little bit late for us?" she said.

Other victims emphasized that, for some of their former schoolmates, the end came far too soon. Their graves are inside the grounds of the workhouses, where some died of disease and malnutrition - and, survivors suspect, from the violence of their carekeepers.

"There's a lot of people who didn't survive here, and a lot of people who left very damaged," said Mannix Flynn, who spent two years at a Christian Brothers school in remote western Ireland.

Flynn this week revisited the closed school grounds, where dozens of residents and staff are buried, their plots marked with small heart-shaped headstones.

"The whole place was a place of abuse. There wasn't any sanctuary here. It was constant trauma and constant fear of attack," said Flynn, 52, a playwright, author and artist in Dublin. He said he and his friends faced chronic sexual assaults.

The Irish government, which in 1999 apologized for its role in permitting decades of abuse and established the commission to nail down the full truth of the matter, has tried to make some amends.

A government-appointed panel has paid 12,000 abuse survivors an average of euro65,000 ($90,000) each - on condition they surrender their right to sue either the church or the state. About 2,000 more claims are pending.

Irish Catholic leaders cut a controversial deal with the government in 2001 that capped the church's contribution at euro128 million ($175 million) - a small fraction of the final cost to taxpayers.

Some victims and opposition politicians called Thursday for the church to give much more.

Cardinal Sean Brady, leader of Ireland's 4 million Catholics, said the church's key responsibility now was to "make the church a safe place for children." But he said increasing the church's financial contributions for compensation was a decision that specific orders had to make, not the Irish church as a whole.

Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Re: Irelands 30,000 Stolen Childhoods...
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 10:22:46 am »
This story is ghastly. Horrendous. It's like the middle ages.  And then the NYTimes had an article today about war and rape
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/21/opinion/21kristof.html
Where Kristof interviews child victims of rape.

In both stories grown men are doing this and there is no accountability.

Humanity can be so perverse - how people can be so evil in modern times, boggles the mind.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 06:42:23 pm »
Probably one of the reasons, why my father's father, who was from Ireland, was a Orangeman.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline fearless

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 08:00:51 pm »
It's disgusting, but the thing that really riles me is the lack of any real contrition by these organisations. They continue to protect the guilty and cast doubt on the victims stories.

IMO these organisations should be made illegal and disbanded and those found guilty thrown in gaol where they will get a bit of their own medicine. At the time of the events they protected the guilty and covered up the whole sorry saga. They have continued to protect the guilty and despite their 'regrets and sorrow' continue to stand in the way of justice.

Imagine the outrage and action if it was a non-religious group that was running any of these institutions. Imagine if it was a group of gay men, or women, or just about anyone else.

In disgust. LS
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 06:12:24 am »
Probably one of the reasons, why my father's father, who was from Ireland, was a Orangeman.

Well, no, actually. Being an Orangeman is a matter of upbringing, not reaction. Back when he was an Orangeman, the fact that these kinds of despicable acts were being committed by the Church was very much hidden and not talked about. It was "unthinkable" that the Church would have a hand in this kind of stuff and that's part of the reason it went on for so long (and continues...) - the children who had the courage to speak up simply weren't believed.

A very sad state of affairs. Sickening. It's one of those things in life that I just "don't get" on any level.

By the way, has anyone here read "Angela's Ashes"?

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 12:53:24 pm »
Ann, I suppose you're right.  When he (father's father) came to America, he ended up marrying a Catholic woman and converting. 

And no, I haven't read Angela's Ashes.  Is it about the abuse that took place?
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline dixieman

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 04:23:47 pm »
Ann, I've read "Angelas Ashes" and I've watched the movie at an alternative movie house in ?Montgomery, AL... called the Capri theater... its a heartwrenching story... its unfortunate that its true...

Offline edfu

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2009, 04:46:08 pm »
I spent six years in a Catholic seminary, and I've said it before, and I'll say it again:  The Roman Catholic Church is responsible for more human suffering and death than any other religious organization in history.   This blood cult has wallowed in two millennia of deceit, lies, fear, murder, torture, rape, and incalculable violence.  Today it condemns millions to AIDS-related deaths by forbidding the use of condoms.  A religion of so-called love vilifies the love of gay couples, fights to prevent legal gay marriage, and libels gays by calling them "intrinsically disordered."  It openly flaunts the separation of church and state by attempting to inflict its medieval "morality" on the entire U.S. population.  

Dominus vobiscum, indeed!  
"No one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."--Albert Camus, "The Plague"

"Mankind can never be free until the last brick in the last church falls on the head of the last priest."--Voltaire

Offline umfowabo

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2009, 05:00:10 pm »
I was reading an article about this in the paper yesterday.It made me feel sick how they've just got away with doing so much damage to people especially children or disabled people.Just because they're part of the Catholic church why are they immune to prosecution?I don't think our laws are written to say "but if you're a priest or a nun don't worry,this doesn't apply to you".
It's like with the MP's and their expenses it seems all they have to do is say sorry and promise not to do it again.And then it's all forgiven?But anyone else would be fired and prosecuted for fraud.
Doesn't make any sense to me at all.I just feel really sorry for all those people they hurt to have not been believed for so long.And then even when people do believe them,to just have their abusers get away with it while they have to live with the affects of it all their lives.

Matthew

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2009, 04:37:57 am »

And no, I haven't read Angela's Ashes.  Is it about the abuse that took place?

Not exactly. It's about growing up poor and Catholic in Limerick in the 30s and 40s. The Church weren't exactly kind to the family. It shows the kind of setting this stuff was happening in. It's a good read, I highly recommend it.

I've watched the movie at an alternative movie house

I wasn't aware they'd made a movie of it. I'll have to look for the DVD.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2009, 11:23:40 am »
Re: Angela's Ashes -
A good read, witty, a nasty story, and probably mostly fiction.
The book is so damn Irish with that dark humour.
The film isn't so good, no wit, just grim.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.