Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:56:56 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 359
Total: 359

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Welcome to the Research News & Studies Forum!  (Read 45797 times)

Offline POZ Forum Moderators

• Global Moderator
Welcome to the Research News & Studies Forum!
« on: April 13, 2007, 05:42:32 am »
Welcome to the Research News and Studies Forum. This is a great place to discuss research news, including reports published by POZ.com and other media sources, and to talk about specific clinical trials of medications, supplements, or other management strategies for HIV/AIDS.

This is also a good place to ask questions about HIV/AIDS research, including specific reports you've read or studies you've heard about. However, if your question is about an approved HIV/AIDS medication, it's probably better that you start a new thread (or participate in an existing one) in the Questions about Treatment & Side Effects Forum, considering that it is more widely read than the Research News and Studies Forum.

A few important ground rules:

• Please do not copy and paste entire articles or documents, either from poz.com or other Web sources, for posting in your message. Some of these documents are incredibly long and do not format correctly when republished.
  • When providing hyperlinks to articles or documents, either on POZ.com, poz.com or elsewhere, please provide the complete URL; the name of document, organization, or publication you're directing people to; and a brief description of why you think it might be of interest to readers.
  • Feel free to copy and paste short articles – or excerpts from longer articles – in your messages.  However, as a matter of Internet and publishing courtesy, please provide a basic reference for the information (at least the name of the source and the full URL to the document).
  • When posting new threads here in the Research Forum, please give your thread a title that accurately describes what it's about. Use the name of the trial (or study). This makes it easier for us to keep subjects in one thread, without having three or four threads about the same research. This makes it easier for everyone to find the research news they're interested in.
  • Please use the search function particularly in this in this section to check if we have a thread open that already. If you can't find a thread on the study or subject then do open a new thread however always include a brief description of why you think it might be of interest to readers. Duplicate threads will be merged or deleted without warning Do not copy past full articles but do feel free to copy and paste short articles – or excerpts from longer articles – in your messages.  Also please provide a basic reference for the information (at least the name of the source and the full URL to the document).
  • Any thread/topic not meeting the required standards may be deleted without warning.

For further information on the POZ forums, including posting guidelines, please visit the Welcome Thread found in the Living with HIV forum.

Thanks for visiting here!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 11:08:41 am by Jim Allen »
The POZ Forums Moderator Team

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Welcome to the Research News & Studies Forum!
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 08:47:17 am »
The following exchange in the Zinc Finger thread (the bits between the ***s) started me off on a discussion about how to attempt to get news on hiv/aids from reliable sources. I realised I was derailing the thread and so decided to start a new thread using what I'd written. Here goes!

Any comments on the below link

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1269121-sangamo-bioscience-the-impending-failure-in-hiv

He makes several glaring errors / assertions regarding dropping vl loads during treatment interruptions.  That alone marks him as an ill informed hack and not worth listening to. 

Unfortunately, what FreeWilly just said there can be broadly applied to most/many hacks... er.... "journalists" ~coughcough~ who write news articles and/or press releases on anything to do with hiv/aids, both in the lamemainstream press and for online news outlets.

I'd like this thread to be something that can help new folks navigate their way around all the tons of hiv/aids information on the internet, and land on good solid scientific dry land rather than ending up getting mired in swamps of bad science, deliberate misinformation, or just out-dated information that some sites don't ever bother to remove from their pages.

It can take time, patience - and in the case of people new to looking into scientific studies surrounding hiv/aids - a lot of trial and error to find articles that have been written by someone who has a working hiv-brain-cell or fifty and is adept at translating that knowledge into the written word in such a way that makes sense to ordinary people in society.

To find articles that you don't have to have a biomedical degree to make heads or tails of, look for articles written by Tim Horn or Gus Cairns, to name two off the top of my head. It there's anything new in the hiv/aids field that is worth taking the time to learn about, you can usually bet that one or both of them have written an article about it.

If anyone can think of other men or women who can shake-down studies published in scientific journals and present them as easily understood news articles, please, please feel free to chime in with their names.

If you do happen to have a biomedical degree or are otherwise university educated in the bio and/or chemical sciences (and know how to read/interpret the jargon in scientific study papers), make sure you're reading studies or abstracts that have been published in peer-review journals. If you have access to a university library, or a medical library, chances are good these days that you'll be able to access journals online for free for which you might otherwise have to pay subscriptions.

And one thing I cannot stress enough - (in fact I'm going to shout...) - MAKE SURE YOU ARE READING SOMETHING THAT HAS BEEN PUBLISHED IN THE PAST FEW YEARS!

Reading currently-irrelevant and often just-plain-wrong "information" that was published in the 1980s and 90s is an easy mistake to make, particularly when you're new to looking at this stuff. There is an awful (and I mean awful in every sense of the word), awful lot of out-dated information about hiv/aids out there on the internet. (The CDC is often a prime example of leaving outdated and wrong hiv/aids "information" up and available for viewing on their website.)

Hiv is one of the fastest growing, in terms of knowledge, fields of medical science and folks should keep that in mind and concentrate on newer articles and studies while ignoring articles written more than five or six years ago.

Once you have a good grounding in current hiv knowledge, then (and really, only then) should one go back and look at older stuff from the first two decades of hiv, just to see how much we've learned and how far we've come since then.

Other than that, I would suggest, no, implore people who are new to all this to definitely delve into one particular, very important aspect of the history of hiv/aids: THE SOCIAL HISTORY. (yeah, sorry, I shouted again.)

Knowing our history will go a long way to helping you understand how far we've come and how far we still have to go regarding things like stigma, and things like the criminalisation of hiv that not only is borne of the stigma, but also perpetuates the stigma.

Knowing the social history of this pandemic will sadden you, but it will also inspire you. For many people, it has the potential of helping you become a better, more compassionate person. It has the potential to turn you from someone who just immerses him/herself in the science into someone who will be willing to fight for the ability for all to access meds, and someday the ability for all to access the (as of yet illusive) cure.

And never forget - "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" (George Santayana, 1863-1952)

We seem to be in grave danger right now, today, of repeating the past history of this pandemic when we do not protest in the streets over things like ADAP waiting lists (in the US) and the removal of the "ring-fencing" that once surrounded funds earmarked in the UK for hiv education, prevention and treatment. Although the ring-fencing was removed quite a few years ago now (nearly ten if memory serves), many hiv clinics in various NHS Trusts are really feeling the pinch during these past few years of economic mayhem.

The ability for many of us to have access to the life-saving meds is not something that was automatically handed over, it was hard-fought for. Too many of us are in danger of losing what our forebearers fought and died for.

Anyway, I hope others can chime in with tips and suggestions concerning learning how to glean the best and the brightest and most importantly, the most accurate and easy to understand information available. I also hope that some may provide links to reliable websites that one doesn't have to pay a subscription before reading the articles.

Thanks in advance to anyone who adds to this thread.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline mitch777

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 08:58:21 am »
*APPLAUSE*
*Standing ovation*! :)

I don't spend much of my time in the research forum mainly for the reasons you described.
I have no intention or desire to spend my remaining time on the planet trying to become a scientist but it IS nice to be able to understand advances being made.
Thank you also for pointing out the importance of our history and the need to ACT UP!
I often thought a petition on this site might be helpful on specific issues.

Thanks Ann!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 09:07:09 am by mitch777 »
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 09:37:40 am »
This is worthy of being a sticky topic ... so it shall be done !
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline wolfter

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 09:46:25 am »
Most Excellent!!!  Maybe it's a dinosaur thing, but I don't spend too much time researching these years.  I figure if there's truly an advance in the treatment, it'll make global news and I can wait a day or two to find out about.

thanks Ann

Wolfie
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.