Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:31:36 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773289
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 690
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 639
Total: 639

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: SOMEONE please explain me,what if I suspect, that I still could b infected?SUBTY  (Read 7120 times)

Offline concernedabtit

Unfortunately I would have to agree with KVN and his concernrs. Im also having quite a lot of ongoing symptoms for a longer than a year and the most significant its dimentia, which doesnt occur during other infections of course many symptoms could be of any other infections, but this one is the most significant. The only solution to prove to the world, that something strange is going on is to have the CD4 tests done, a few times, which Im having shortly.

I had my concerns increased after the sex with a hooker and other coinfection, but I had really bed symptoms a week after the sex, of course not paying attention to them.

The only thing I cant understand, why this site giving some pieces of advice on HIV and about strains, denies existing such things on its forum????

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
I would have to agree with KVN
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 02:29:30 am »
Concerned

Please do not post in someone elses thread, if you have any concerns about your ongoing symtoms or have any questions then please start a thread of your own...and please read the Welcome Thread....I understand this is your first post and you may not know how things work so no harm done...thank you for your cooperation.

Jan
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 02:34:06 am by anniebc »
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline concernedabtit

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 03:11:50 am »
Im very well behaved and If its not allowed to post in it by the rules, I wont be posting, but before posting into someone's thread I thought, that by today it was always considered, that forums are open to anyones opinion and discussions???
I thought that was the whole idea of the forums, you get on the forum's threads and take part in discussions. Or this forum was designated in some different way or for expressions of moderators thoughts only and their own ideas?

Sorry if I was too frank with you

Thanks

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 03:27:37 am »
Actually, the rules for this forum, the AM I INFECTED forum is quite different from the other forums.

In this forum, to keep the distribution of information as accurate as first-tiered peer-reviewed science can allow, only certain members and moderators are allowed to dispense advise and deliver assessments. You probably know this already, having read the welcome threads which clearly stipulate this. It is by doing so that AIDSMEDS remains a site of great reputation insofar as HIV information is concerned.

This particular forum is not a discussion forum. It is a risk assessment forum which helps to clarify the rather well-researched and thorough LESSONS section. It is also done as a service to the worried well, as this site was intended for use by and for HIV Positive persons and their loved ones/caregivers.

You do not have HIV. Neither of you do. Your trust of the ELISA test notwithstanding (and if you seriously distrust the tests, why come to a site which uses them as a gold standard for serodetection?) you could always, I suppose, shell out the money for a Western Blot, a Viral Load, a PCR, and the assorted other HIV diagnostic tools available.

But according to the most advanced HIv detection methodology, you are both reliably HIV negative. And that is what this forum is about.

I am sorry if you thought that this was an open forum for opinions and discussion. It most assuredly is not. The advise given by those allowed to do so is based on, and backed up by, solid first-tiered peer-reviewed scientific evidence collected over decades. It is meant to add another dimension to the HIV education available as a courtesy on this site, in the "LESSONS" section.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: I would have to agree with KVN
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 09:06:15 am »
Concerned,

I've removed your posts (and the replies you got) from the thread you posted in and created a thread just for you. Please keep all your additional questions or comments in this thread and this thread ONLY. That's how things work in this forum and if you do not abide by our posting guidelines, you may find yourself banned from this website.

Make sure you read the Welcome Thread and read the posting guidelines, along with the Lessons found there. I don't want to have to tell you this again.

If you have tested hiv negative three or more months after your sex worker encounter, then what ever is causing your problems is NOT hiv. Keep working with your doctor to find out what is actually going on.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline concernedabtit

(A Guide to Testing for HIV)
en espaņol 

Aren't there two different kinds of HIV? How do I know what I should be tested for?

The two known types of HIV are HIV-1 and HIV-2. In the United States and Europe, the overwhelming majority of HIV cases involve HIV-1. HIV-2 infections are predominantly found in West African nations. The first case of HIV-2 was discovered in the United States in 1987. Since then only 79 people with HIV-2 infections have been identified in the United States. While the CDC does not recommend routine screening for HIV-2, when someone tests for HIV-1 using ELISA/Western blot tests, there is a 60% to 90% chance that HIV-2 will be detected if it is present.

Not every test will automatically include testing for HIV-2. Anyone who thinks there's a possibility they have been exposed to HIV-2 and/or any of HIV's more rare subtypes should mention this when being tested. Among those for whom HIV-2 testing is indicated are those with sex partners from a country where HIV-2 is prevalent or people with an illness that indicate underlying HIV infection, such as an opportunistic infection, but whose HIV-1 test result was negative.

Please explain me, how I can be tested for one of themsubtypes as it says in your guide.
Please

Offline concernedabtit

I found it in your guidelines for HIV testing

http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/HIVtests_4718.shtml

Offline RapidRod

You don't have to worry about testing for subtypes.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
con,

I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep all your additional thoughts or questions in one thread.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines. This is the second time the posting guidelines have had to be pointed out to you. Please read them this time and abide by them in future. This is the LAST time I will warn you about this. Thank you for your cooperation.

If you live in a modern, westernised country, you can bet the testing centers know what, if any, types or subtypes of hiv are prevalent in their area and they will test for them.

As you have been previously told, as long as you tested three months or more after your encounter with the sex worker, you ARE hiv negative. If your encounter took place while you were wearing a condom, then you didn't need testing in the first place as condoms have been proven to prevent hiv infection.

You claim to be experiencing symptoms of dementia and if these symptoms really are dementia related, then you're wasting your time chasing after hiv when you should be asking for a referral to a neurologist to get to the bottom of your problems.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline concernedabtit

Ann,

No its not as simple as that, just sex with condom. The condom broke and the lady was in her periods.

a few days after that I fell sick and a year onwards once again and later again.
Therefore I was wondering about the info about subtypes on your forum. Yes, I live in London, but it full of people from all over the world, also from Africa, so what prevelance they can take into consideration.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
Concerned,

UK GUM clinics usually test for both hiv 1&2 and that's all you need. If you've already tested negative at three months past your encounter, then you ARE hiv negative. And yes, it really is that simple. It doesn't matter that she was on her period. If you've tested negative at the appropriate time, you ARE hiv negative.

See your doctor about your physical concerns. You're chasing something you don't have and could be missing something important as a result.

And just so you're aware, in case you still haven't read the posting guidelines, you will not be allowed to use this forum to repeatedly question a conclusive negative result.

If you haven't already had your conclusive negative, go test and get that confirmation.

Oh, and while you're here, make sure you click on and read through the three condom and lube links in my signature line. A correctly used condom rarely breaks.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline concernedabtit

Why would U place that info, dear Ann???

What is it for?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
Why would U place that info, dear Ann???

What is it for?

Con,

What info, where? You need to give us a clue what you're talking about. I'm not a mind reader and my crystal ball is in the shop for repairs.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline concernedabtit

I meant those lessons on this site, which also  PUT INTO DOUBTS the ELISA test

Please understand Im not lying thers really something strange is going on with me and who knows as HIV was never known before 1980 and there could be something new
Am I Infected?
(A Guide to Testing for HIV)
en espaņol 

What about subtypes of HIV?

Thus far, 11 distinct subtypes, also known as "clades" or "genotypes," have been recognized of HIV-1. More than 96% of the HIV-1 infections in the United States and Europe are caused by subtype B. Subtypes B and F predominate in South America and Asia. Subtypes A through H of HIV-1 are found in Africa, along with HIV-2 in sub-Saharan Africa.

The ELISA/Western blot tests can detect antibodies to all HIV-1 subtypes. Viral load tests can also detect and quantify subtypes of HIV-1. The viral load tests can also detect and quantify HIV-2.

Aren't there two different kinds of HIV? How do I know what I should be tested for?

The two known types of HIV are HIV-1 and HIV-2. In the United States and Europe, the overwhelming majority of HIV cases involve HIV-1. HIV-2 infections are predominantly found in West African nations. The first case of HIV-2 was discovered in the United States in 1987. Since then only 79 people with HIV-2 infections have been identified in the United States. While the CDC does not recommend routine screening for HIV-2, when someone tests for HIV-1 using ELISA/Western blot tests, there is a 60% to 90% chance that HIV-2 will be detected if it is present.

Not every test will automatically include testing for HIV-2. Anyone who thinks there's a possibility they have been exposed to HIV-2 and/or any of HIV's more rare subtypes should mention this when being tested. Among those for whom HIV-2 testing is indicated are those with sex partners from a country where HIV-2 is prevalent or people with an illness that indicate underlying HIV infection, such as an opportunistic infection, but whose HIV-1 test result was negative.

Offline RapidRod

concernedabtit, the only one that is having doubts about the reliablity of testing is YOU. ELISA tests don't look for subtypes they look for antibodies. So stop your worrying about subtypes.   

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
con,

I don't for a minute think you are lying to us - something strange may well be going on with you. However, whatever that strange thing is, it isn't hiv assuming you've tested negative at or after three months.

You need to keep working with your doctor to find out what is going on with you. If you feel there is neurological involvement, then perhaps a scan is in order.

You still haven't told us your testing history, but as long as you have tested negative at three months or more past your condom break incident, then you ARE hiv negative. You were never likely to become infected from a one-time condom break anyway, menstrual blood present or not.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline concernedabtit

Testing history is that I tested negative 3-4 times after 6,12 and 18 months, but still had lymphonodes enlargd for a few days and had those stange things ( very strange ) going on with my brain and startd sweating a lot.
I dont understand why it says on this web site in the guidelines to speak to the health provider if you think you may have been exposed to other subtypes???? Why?
Im not scared about being infected, but something really and really strange could be present in my body

Offline RapidRod

You have had a reliable HIV negative result. You need to look somewhere else for answers to your signs or symtpoms. They have nothing to do with HIV.

Offline concernedabtit

Maybe U right Rod, just feel ocassionally not well and the symptoms are very unusual,especially that brain fog, occured twice, once after the sexual contact with blood and then 1,5 year after it.

Offline concernedabtit

But, Rod, why would U place those guidelines about the subtypes and HIV2

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
con,

Those guidelines are in place for someone who (for example) went to Western Africa and had unprotected intercourse with someone who lives there and subsequently comes down with a serious illness such as PCP. They do NOT apply to most people.

Besides, as the Lessons point out, for hiv type 1, the subtypes are all detected with the standard ELISAs anyway. Type 2 is EXTREMELY rare and not only that, but it is much more difficult to transmit that hiv 1 is, and hiv 1 is not easy to transmit.

It would be very unusual for you to be infected after a one-time condom break. Your test results more than prove you have not been infected. Please take your concerns to your doctor as we cannot diagnose you here. All we CAN do is tell you that you have absolutely, conclusively ruled hiv out of the picture. You do NOT have hiv.

Make sure you read the posting guidelines found in the Welcome Thread and pay particular attention to this one:

Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

You ARE hiv negative and it's time you concentrated on what the real cause of your problems are - what ever is going on with you has nothing to do with hiv.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline concernedabtit

I read that rule of the forum so far. Sorry for being persistant, if you dont want to speak to me, I will stop it.

But the only thing I can say, that I have been to the doctors, but due to the youth of infection(not a lot is known about it and not many doctors know about it) and thanks to their non professionalism of the health care providers ( the doctor said to me he knows, that the ELISA test is the the only test to be used) and also negligence I cant get a proper examination. I know its hard to transmit, but still possible and the existance of it in London and Europe is a very easy reality with all those refugees coming from all over the world.
The only thing I was gonna ask you what u meant
As I told him already that, he said there were no more tests available, but like I said before: youth of infection, negligence of the health providers and non professionalims contributed to it and also the out of dated guidelines from the main sources informing about the HIV (researchers, institutes) and maybe late statistics.
Do you think I would be here for such a long time, just being scared and feeling well?
No, and it started after the contact and then everything was fine, but then year and few month I had dimentia again.

I dont know what should I do, or simply wait for the start of the opportunistic infections??? To have a proper clynical symptomps

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
Con,

There are many doctors in this world, not just one. If you feel your doctor isn't listening to you, then please get a second opinion. Make sure you explain to the new doctor about your dementia symptoms.

However, there is nothing more we can do for you here. Your hiv test results are negative, that means you are hiv negative.

I'm giving you that time out I warned you about. Please use this time to pursue other causes to your symptoms. You have already ruled hiv out.

Do not create a new account to get around your time out because if you do, you will be permanently banned, no questions asked.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.