Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:55:51 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 358
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 332
Total: 333

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Can Exercise fight lipo symptoms ?  (Read 13566 times)

Offline panda

Can Exercise fight lipo symptoms ?
« on: September 26, 2006, 12:12:08 am »
Hi.

We just bought a multi trainer machine so I can start train now with weight... Can any one recomend how long should I train for each day , how many sets and how long before I'll see some improvements on my skiny legs ?

Offline frenchpat

• Love your friends, don't eat them.
Re: Can Exercise fight lipo symptoms ?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006, 02:25:03 pm »
hi panda,

check this thread, it runs along the same lines... http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=3458.0

for weight/volume gain, avoid endurance exercise and focus more on power/force exercise. But don't forget to warm up well. This is where some cardio can be good, specialy for people like us whose meds affect fat levels in the blood and the related cardiovascular dangers.

hope this helps,

Pat
People have the power - Patti Smith

Offline megasept

• Steven here...
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 04:45:04 am »
:o Hi. Can resistance training fight lipo? Well, sort of. It can't hurt. I have had lipo (I am a bit better now). This is how I work out, and I've had lipo and been seropositive 15+ years.
If you'd like to follow Frenchpat's advice (avoid endurance training) then you could do what I have always done; I do one set of heavy weight (go easy at first and keep increasingyour first couple weeks until you find your real level). If you don't exhaust a muscle it doesn't grow. Your set should consist of as many reps as you can do correctly. Make your contraction rapidly, hold it while continuing to breathe out (like yoga), and then release the contraction at half speed. When you change directions, do the same with your lungs. This makes a single set "cardio." "Volume" that isn't water or fat, would be muscle. Muscle is dense and heavy. The larger your muscle, the stronger it is----the rest is psychological---unless you have some injuries (I do).
Remember to adjust your number of reps towards the end of the set; do all you can making sure the last reps are your very best. Stop when you can't do another correctly. That means a full range of movement each rep.
You'll probably gain weight, but certainly not fat! "Weight" is generally a euphemism for "fat". Your actual weight should not concern you. It is what makes up that figure (percentages) that do matter. Now, without seeing you and having an idea of your medical condition, it is hard to see what kind of improvement, and speed of gain you may experience. Even in perfect health, skinny types (ectomorphs) experience the slowest and least muscle gain. I am a mesomorph (lean athletic build). We all need reasonable goals. But anyone, even frail old people, can gain muscle through resistance training. It is nice feeling stronger. Hike or bike if you want to, but at least take two stair risers at a time and avoid elevators. Enjoy your new strength. All this work stimulates immunity as well. Good luck!  8)

Offline panda

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2006, 12:24:36 pm »
so, do u actually mean that i should focus on high weight and not on no. of sets ? cause i asked some one else and he told me exactly the oposit. th
also wanted to mention i am woman and the whole purpose of this is to get my legs look "fatter" by increasing volume by training ...
how long before i start seeing some results ? ???

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline bobino

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006, 12:44:50 am »

Generally, to gain mass, you should focus on doing higher weight for fewer repetitions.  At least that's what works for most people.  You need to see what works for you, though.

As for how long before you'll see results, that depends . . . on how much you work out, what your diet is like, and what kind of genetics you have.  My advice is just to get started.  The changes will come in their own time.

Suivons les rivières
Gardons les torrents
Restons en colère
Soyons vigilants

Offline megasept

• Steven here...
Follow-up to exercise questions...and fighting appearence of lipo
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2006, 12:08:35 am »
Let me try to respond to your follow-up...I do realize I have opinions that differ. I am one of the oldest guys and the best built (not the largest by any means) at my gym, and I work out faster and less often than nearly all the "regulars". So if an old guy (inferior metabolism) who doesn't go too often and is back out the door in under an hour gives a suggestion, chances are I am right about some of this. It's your job to be a critical person. For example, I am the only guy in my entire gym I see hold a contraction, which is isometrics, speeds the heart, and beneficial like Yoga. Is everyone else right? Nope. I am, and the guy who taught me in 1978.   ;) No ego here. It makes resistance training "cardio". Long rests between exercises, and long visits to the gym will not keep you heart rate higher. They are counterproductive.

You could settle your whole concern, which sounds aesthetic, by implants in each calf. Paying for them might be difficult. Then you can ignore all this talk of exercise and weights, etc.

You wrote "i am woman and the whole purpose of this is to get my legs look "fatter" by increasing volume by training ..." Cool.  ;) You could only create lots of fat by becoming obese overall. Seriously, none of us needs diabetes nor heart or liver disease. We've got to work with what we have. And getting a beer gut won't put the fat back in our cheeks of anyone with lipo (myself included).  If it did...We could have lipo parties that were just beerbusts or Baskin Robbins 31 marathons  :-\ 

I don't know "when you'll see results", but you will get stronger in not less than two weeks (7 workouts). How do I know? My somewhat sedentary 75 year Parents had that result after I trained them twice. Old people are a bit like young people who aren't quite well. The more out of shape you are, the greater you initial strength gains. I grow the most after a break due to illness or busy schedule. Know why? Simply because I have a new shrunken size as a starting point. I am different, noticeably larger in under two weeks time. Weights is one of the easiest things I do, and about 8 or 10 down from the top on my priority list. I exercise hard and smart...But other things matter so much more.

I've really told you all I know, but without the detail. I have lipo, and am sympathetic. I really think it time you try something of your choosing. If it's exercise, then let me know...Good luck!  8)

Offline bobnhoutx

• Bob's Webpage
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2006, 07:16:23 am »
Answer to your question is generally yes, it helps.  Don't really know your fitness level so I'll speak in general terms.

Squats and lunges are gonna build your legs, glutes (butt) and calves faster than anything.  Gonna take some free weights though, so you'll need a bar and free weights.  Since free weight lifting also require your body to balance and stabilize the weights, you'll be bringing in more muscle groups than machine weight lifts.  Also, start with some low weights (or even just the bar which is gonna be approx 10 lbs) until you get your form down. 

Generally, to build muscle mass it is recommended you do:
3 sets with 8 - 12 reps for each lifting exercise. 

- First set = enough weight so u can just do 12 reps, with the last 2 reps difficult.
- Second set = increase weight just enough to do 10 reps with last 2 difficult.
- Third set = increase weight again to do 8 reps.
- Rest about a minute between sets.

For legs butt calves = squats, lunges, (free weights).  Also brings in abs and other connective muscles.  Best for building muscle mass
leg extensions and curls (machine).  Will build muscle but mostly a shaping exercise.
Calf raises = Free weights.

One hr 3 - 4 times a week is a good schedule so your muscle groups have sufficient time to recover.  example of schedule I've used before (I switch it up to keep the muscles guessing): 

- Mon = chest, shoulders, triceps.
- Wed = legs butt calves
- Friday = back, biceps
- Tues, thurs, sat, some light cardio, walking etc. to get the blood pumping to those muscle groups. 
- Sunday enjoy yourself.

Also, run by a used book store and look for books detailing weight lifting exercise.

Wishing u luck.

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2006, 08:57:31 am »
I'm not sure whether exercise helps or hurts lipoatrophy and I'm not aware of any studies. The problem is researchers still don't completely understand how lipoatrophy works. Exercise could help regulate your metabolic process or it could speed up the process and use up your subcutaneous fat even faster. I've heard that exercise can reduce abdominal fat that is not subcutaneous. Two people can have HIV the same period of time and be on the same medications and one will get lipoatrophy and one won't. My partner and I have generally been on the same meds but I have lipoatrophy and he has fat redistribution.  Personally I think if you are muscular and toned you look better because the lipoatrophy makes you appear "ripped" rather than ill.  I also think everyone should exercise for their health, lipoatrophy or no.

Offline panda

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2006, 03:16:10 pm »
Thanks all for your tips and suggestions ...  I started work out and only now I realize how weak I am when I can ot complete even the "butterfly" set with 10 kg pallet ... so I take it lower weight as a begining and then I hope i'll get stornger and be able to increase weight, I don't feel it during the day that I am weak cause I do feel pretty good in general but when I come to this multi trainer I face it and realize , damm !! I am weak !!!
Should I do on a specific diet ? should I not eat an hour before stat training? I am vegiterian so I am having this hard ti,re with the protein which I know is needed to build up a muscle.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline frenchpat

• Love your friends, don't eat them.
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2006, 04:12:47 pm »
Hi Panda,

I am a veggie too and have been exercising more or less regularly for as long as I remember.  I guess you are aware that as a vegetarian you have to have control of your diet. If you have a well balanced diet the exercise will build your muscle up and you will feel and be stronger. No need to take expensive supplements, unless you are aiming for the bodybuilder look...
As for how much weight you can deal with, just be patient. Depending of what your job/daily activities/level of fitness has been in the past, 10 kg might be a lot already. Don't overdo it as you may hurt yourself and that would force you to rest and possibly lose whatever little muscle you gained. Warming up is very important to avoid injuries. And do stretch in between exercises. You don't want to lose all flexibility in the process of gaining muscle.

One thought: have you tried yoga? It definitely makes your body stronger, and more flexible, but furthermore it contributes to lower stress and improves your breathing. Everybody can do it, whatever shape and weight and it helps one deal with a body that is not always the body we wish we had or the one advertisers ram down our throats.

Hope this helps,

Pat
People have the power - Patti Smith

Offline gurtzie

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2006, 10:39:11 am »
well i did the atkins diet last year and my neck and back was the first place it came off i lost 20 pounds on it but just the first few weeks was on it like six months.i think there is something to keeping your sugar level in line...............

Offline hudstar

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2006, 12:17:01 pm »
Personally I think if you are muscular and toned you look better because the lipoatrophy makes you appear "ripped" rather than ill.  I also think everyone should exercise for their health, lipoatrophy or no.

LOL, I was thinking the same about lipo making you appear ripped (if you excercise in accordance with muscle v's fat loss). I try not to excercise in such a way that I begin to to lose weight. Stick more to those that build muscle. Hopefully soon we will get a magic pill to stop lipo  ::) My butt is becoming a potential prob though!
diagnosed 1988
POZ personals - hudster

Offline DavidinCA92284

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2007, 10:29:08 pm »
In my opinion working out with weights whether squating or other types of exercise helps with muscle conditioning and strength.  It will not add back the fat lost.  In my particular case, my butt is not as large as it use to be, and the only thing left is muscle.  Therefore, I have a muscle butt - but a small one.   The problems associated with the Lipoatrophy that attacks the butt is that sitting on hard surfaces is more annoying and my clothes don't fit the way they use to . . . hmmmmm do I have to measure my waist, or do I measure my butt?   At 44 years old, I never thought I'd be wearing size 30 waist pants AND contemplating when going in Walmart looking at boys shorts size 18!  At times this is getting to be a bit rediculous.   The other problem with the butt fat loss is that I also notice that the squat position is not the same as when I had more fat.  I think it's a balance issue or that the fat in the butt actually makes for a more 'balanced' squat.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2007, 10:44:09 pm »
Agreed.  Working out is about gaining muscle, NOT FAT.  Lipo is about fat, not muscle.

Working out has OTHER benefits though, of course, but that's not the topic at hand.  I think once the ass is gone, it's just gone.  Depending on severity of course, there are wildly differing levels of lipo.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.