Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:24:19 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 333
Total: 334

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: meet and greet plans? AMG 2013.  (Read 20889 times)

Offline mitch777

meet and greet plans? AMG 2013.
« on: July 02, 2013, 04:07:54 pm »
Hi,
I noticed Dennis mentioned back in January in the Hotel proposal thread that the rooftop terrace would be available and he would get back to us with a menu and prices.
I couldn't find much about it on the hotel website other than a brief mention.
(nothing about a restaurant or bar)
Thought it might be worth getting some plans discussed. :)
m.
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline wolfter

Re: meet and greet plans? AMG 2013.
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 11:03:24 am »

This is a picture of the rooftop terrace.  They don't actually accept reservations for the use of this and it's not private.  The sales/catering department isn't open today but I can try to find some additional details.

Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 11:19:44 am »
One thing that needs to be considered with the rooftop terrace is rain.
I'm not seeing any awnings in that picture.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 11:27:40 am »
http://www.lascarola.com/index.html

Here's an interesting option?  Right down the street and on the bus line.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 11:34:25 am »
Ann Sathers , the restaurant I have mentioned before has facility's and does catering for events like this all the time . Its also located about  20 steps away from the Belmont L stop in Lake View . It would be an added bonus for those who wish to go to the clubs or sports bars around Wrigley Field after dinner ... location location location .

Tom the owner is gay and very active in LGBT issues as well a long history of serving the HIV positive community . Just thought I would mention it .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline mitch777

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 03:54:15 pm »

That looks good. Thanks Greg! :)

Here is another restaurant nearby.
http://www.osteriaviastato.com/

Ann Sathers , the restaurant I have mentioned before has facility's and does catering for events like this all the time . Its also located about  20 steps away from the Belmont L stop in Lake View . It would be an added bonus for those who wish to go to the clubs or sports bars around Wrigley Field after dinner ... location location location .

Tom the owner is gay and very active in LGBT issues as well a long history of serving the HIV positive community . Just thought I would mention it .

Another good option. It's a BYOB. (maybe there is a nearby bar for cocktails before dinner)
I have the feeling some of us will be making our way to Boystown during our visit.  :D
Thanks Jeff! :)

Having never been to an AMG before, I don't know what kind of venue/menu is most conducive for a group of our size.
Anybody else have any ideas, recommendations, comments? :)

m.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 09:58:05 am »
I'm open to any place.  I can usually find something on the menu that suits me.  Just getting concerned that we're a mere few weeks out.

Offline weasel

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 10:57:09 am »

This looks  yummy !    :)

Carl

P.s.  Is it close to the fun places of the night ? 
" Live and let Live "

Offline mitch777

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2013, 08:58:44 am »
By the look of things Kenny and I might be the only AMG newbies this year. Since everyone else has already "met and gret" maybe this years "meet and greet" isn't needed?
I dunno. :-\

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2013, 01:42:24 pm »
dont be  so  sure  Mitch  seems  there  are  always  some  "locals"  that  just  show up..either  "lurkers"  from the  site or folks who  got  wind of the meeting... or  heard about it  from a regular member
  I have told a few  friends  about it ..   wouldnt  be a surprise if one of them  showed up

Nick
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline mitch777

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2013, 01:49:36 pm »
dont be  so  sure  Mitch  seems  there  are  always  some  "locals"  that  just  show up..either  "lurkers"  from the  site or folks who  got  wind of the meeting... or  heard about it  from a regular member
  I have told a few  friends  about it ..   wouldnt  be a surprise if one of them  showed up

Nick

that would be great! :)
I'm still very excited in any case.
getting my party dress altered a bit to give a good first impression. ;D

Offline weasel

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2013, 07:17:16 pm »
By the look of things Kenny and I might be the only AMG newbies this year. Since everyone else has already "met and gret" maybe this years "meet and greet" isn't needed?
I dunno. :-\

We always need a Meet and greet  :)

There are few people I have yet to meet .   

It makes for a fun  dinner  and a way to really know whom is whom .

Weasel

P.s.   : My Diet starts this  Monday   :-X
" Live and let Live "

Offline mitch777

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2013, 07:33:46 pm »
    We always need a Meet and greet  :)

There are few people I have yet to meet .   

It makes for a fun  dinner  and a way to really know whom is whom .

Weasel

P.s.   : My Diet starts this  Monday   :-X
LOL! Ok. The meet and greet will happen! :) Where and when will need more input from everyone attending... soon. Seems there is no Captain of this ship. I'll go with the flow. Just gotta consider that a relatively large group of us need to have some sort of plan at least a week or two in advance if we expect to be seated in a restaurant on a Friday night at a venue of our choice.
I'm just trying to be a cheerleader here. ;D

ps- best of luck with your diet. my expectations are set high now. lol. :)

Offline wolfter

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2013, 10:13:36 am »
I'm totally OK with anything!  Perhaps it's time to simply throw out a couple of places and see what everyone thinks?

Offline mitch777

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2013, 08:07:22 pm »
RA RA RA ra ra ra ra ra ra ra ra ra ra ra ra um, ok. cheerleader is getting bushed.

Offline weasel

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2013, 09:08:51 am »
I'm totally OK with anything!  Perhaps it's time to simply throw out a couple of places and see what everyone thinks?

Yes  Please  put them on the table   :)

I'm good with most  foods  ,  Tend to go for Italian   ;D

Carl   

P.S. I'm having two hotdogs  for my diet Breakfast   :-X
" Live and let Live "

Offline mitch777

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2013, 09:39:46 am »
You and I did that. Got one reply. :-\

Offline mitch777

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2013, 09:44:20 am »

P.S. I'm having two hotdogs  for my diet Breakfast   :-X

Does this diet have a name? ;D

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2013, 09:49:32 am »
Does this diet have a name? ;D

I bet its the Tweiner diet since its two hot dogs .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline mitch777

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2013, 09:53:30 am »
Now you are making me... uh, hungry! LOL! :)

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2013, 08:04:04 pm »

So, kind of like a 3some diet??

Offline Piscean

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2013, 08:34:41 pm »

Nick

I include myself in this category. Let me know if you need a local's perspective on any of these venues.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2013, 08:54:26 pm »
LOL! Just like to make it seem like I have an appetite. :)
I include myself in this category. Let me know if you need a local's perspective on any of these venues.
Yes!!! :)
Will you be joining us?

PS- Mike and Piscean, any input from you on the meet and greet??
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 08:57:12 pm by mitch777 »

Offline mitch777

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2013, 07:54:16 am »
Sorry Mike,
Was tired and about to crash after my Lunesta dose and wasn't paying attention to who you were quoting.  ::)Lol!

Offline bocker3

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2013, 08:03:01 am »
LOL! Just like to make it seem like I have an appetite. :)Yes!!! :)
Will you be joining us?

PS- Mike and Piscean, any input from you on the meet and greet??

We should all have appetites -- my body doesn't look this way all on it's own. No -- it takes lots of hard work to maintain this belly!!

As for M&G location -- anything already mentioned works for me.  The people are more important than the location, IMO.  It is too bad we can't reserve the rooftop for a spell.......  but I'll go anywhere.  I'd say, just call some place and see what they can accommodate and the cost -- that will likely be the data that drives the decision.

Mike

Offline mitch777

« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2013, 08:59:51 am »
We should all have appetites -- my body doesn't look this way all on it's own. No -- it takes lots of hard work to maintain this belly!!

As for M&G location -- anything already mentioned works for me.  The people are more important than the location, IMO.  It is too bad we can't reserve the rooftop for a spell.......  but I'll go anywhere.  I'd say, just call some place and see what they can accommodate and the cost -- that will likely be the data that drives the decision.

Mike
I'm in it for the people too. Nothing says we can't get together on the rooftop while we are there at some point. :)
I'm fine with either of the 2 restaurants. The prices are posted on the links. One of the 2 specifically describes private party rooms available. (minimum of 15 people) Not even sure how many of us are coming.
Having never been to an AMG M&G, I'm not sure how you all have dealt with the tab unless you always had a prefixed deal. How should it be handled otherwise? Separate checks are most likely out of the question. Drink prices can add up quick on a tab and I would hate to see a nondrinker get slapped.
Almost all of those going this year have been before. Ideas?
Maybe just figure it all out at the table when the bill arrives? I dunno.
Hard to go much further at this point without more input.

Offline bocker3

« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2013, 04:43:07 pm »
I'm in it for the people too. Nothing says we can't get together on the rooftop while we are there at some point. :)
I'm fine with either of the 2 restaurants. The prices are posted on the links. One of the 2 specifically describes private party rooms available. (minimum of 15 people) Not even sure how many of us are coming.
Having never been to an AMG M&G, I'm not sure how you all have dealt with the tab unless you always had a prefixed deal. How should it be handled otherwise? Separate checks are most likely out of the question. Drink prices can add up quick on a tab and I would hate to see a nondrinker get slapped.
Almost all of those going this year have been before. Ideas?
Maybe just figure it all out at the table when the bill arrives? I dunno.
Hard to go much further at this point without more input.

How it is has worked in the past.....
We arrange for some "heavy hor d'oeuvres" for the group.  Collect a per person cost. The bar has been a cash bar -- no need to have non-drinkers pay for drinks they won't have.  Of course, we've always shared some possibilities on what to choose to food and costs.  If memory serves, we've been in the $30-$50/pp range in the past.  Money has been collected once folks arrive at the AMG hotel -- to ensure the person paying has all the cash when needed.

I am happy to deal with the money and paying the venue, but work is so crazy right now, I can't sign up for the site selection and/or reservations & ordering portion.

Mike

Offline mitch777

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2013, 06:21:16 pm »
How it is has worked in the past.....
We arrange for some "heavy hor d'oeuvres" for the group.  Collect a per person cost. The bar has been a cash bar -- no need to have non-drinkers pay for drinks they won't have.  Of course, we've always shared some possibilities on what to choose to food and costs.  If memory serves, we've been in the $30-$50/pp range in the past.  Money has been collected once folks arrive at the AMG hotel -- to ensure the person paying has all the cash when needed.

I am happy to deal with the money and paying the venue, but work is so crazy right now, I can't sign up for the site selection and/or reservations & ordering portion.

Mike
Thanks Mike.

Spoke to Wolfie and he has got further possibilities to post soon.

I know I started this thread but never felt comfortable about taking the lead to an event that I have never attended. Also thought (naively) that this was a more organized event. Again, I'm new at this. I just wanted to see some excitement and participation like I read about in past years.
To be honest it has been a bit discouraging. I'm sure we will have a great time but if the people going don't show much enthusiasm now it doesn't help encourage others to join in the festivities.
Just telling it like I see it from a newbie perspective. :)
Maybe it's just me.
Sorry for the rant.

Offline bocker3

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2013, 09:18:42 pm »
Thanks Mike.

Spoke to Wolfie and he has got further possibilities to post soon.

I know I started this thread but never felt comfortable about taking the lead to an event that I have never attended. Also thought (naively) that this was a more organized event. Again, I'm new at this. I just wanted to see some excitement and participation like I read about in past years.
To be honest it has been a bit discouraging. I'm sure we will have a great time but if the people going don't show much enthusiasm now it doesn't help encourage others to join in the festivities.
Just telling it like I see it from a newbie perspective. :)
Maybe it's just me.
Sorry for the rant.

Not to worry Mitchie.....  there really is very little organization -- even the best laid plans end up falling to the "herding cats" phenom.  However, AMG is wonderful and I'm sure you will love it. 
Looking forward to meeting you in person...... 

Oh -- never worry that being new means you can't/shouldn't help plan....  newness could actually be a help!

Hugs,
Mike

Offline wolfter

« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2013, 12:00:29 am »
      AMERICAN      CASUAL   19
   1   Bandera   10   Burrito Beach   
      535 N. Michigan Ave.      200 E. Ohio   
      312-644-3524      312-335-0668   

2   Grand Lux Café   11   Chipotle   20
      Michigan Ave @ Ontario      291 E. Ontario   
      312-276-2500      312-587-7753   

3   MarketHouse   12   Corner Bakery   
      611 N Fairbanks      676 N. St. Clair   21
      312-787-7337      312-266-2570   

4   Grami   13   Panera Bread   
      160 E. Grand      635 N. Fairbanks   22
      312-755-9645      312-274-3955   

5   Viand   14   Pockets   
      155 E. Ontario      205 E. Ohio   
      312-255-8505      312-923-9898   23

BREAKFAST   15   Pompei   
   6   Lavazza Café      212 E. Ohio   
      162 E. Ohio      312-482-9900   
      312-255-8850         24
         16   Popeye’s Chicken   
   7   Mary's Café      535 N. Michigan Ave   
      215 E. Grand       312-755-1500   
      312-337-2500         25
         17   Potbelly’s Sandwiches   
   8   West Egg Café      277 E. Ontario   
      620 N. Fairbanks      312-337-6488   
      312-280-8366         
         18   Subway   26
      CAJUN      266 E. Ontario   
   9   Heaven on Seven      312-266-6304   
      Michigan Ave @ Rush         
      312-280-7774         

Offline wolfter

« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2013, 12:02:52 am »
this is what was provided for all the local places that are close to our hotel.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2013, 09:20:50 am »
Not to worry Mitchie.....  there really is very little organization -- even the best laid plans end up falling to the "herding cats" phenom.  However, AMG is wonderful and I'm sure you will love it. 
Looking forward to meeting you in person...... 

Oh -- never worry that being new means you can't/shouldn't help plan....  newness could actually be a help!

Hugs,
Mike
Looking forward to meeting you too! :)
"Herding cats" sounds like a likely outcome. LOL!

I guess I thought I was helping to plan. Just not hearing much. After much research, the first two options mentioned by Wolfie and I seem the best. Both are highly rated, are relatively close by and have a decent menu.
Check out the links below. Menu, space, prices. There are many reviews and comments to read about and pics of both places on http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g35805-Chicago_Illinois.html

http://www.lascarola.com/

http://www.osteriaviastato.com/

Input soon from everybody?   
And what night would everyone prefer? Friday or Saturday? Time? 6pm, 7pm?

Greg,
Thanks for the added ideas. I tried to research the restaurants you provided. Didn't find much info on some. Others weren't practical for the M&G. Viand and Grand Lux Café were possibilities but still think our original suggestions better fit our needs. (never been to o Popeye's before ;D.)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 09:31:13 am by mitch777 »

Offline wolfter

« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2013, 08:11:44 pm »
Even if the meet and greet isn't at one of those locations, it's nice to have a nice map of those spots, I'll try to make copies for everyone.  I'll also include all the local bars, state stores and such. ;D

Perhaps the M & G is just going be more informal since fewer people are going?  That's fine also if we just meet for our usual afternoon refreshments and head to a local eatery. ;)

Wolfie

Offline mitch777

« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2013, 08:43:40 pm »
Even if the meet and greet isn't at one of those locations, it's nice to have a nice map of those spots, I'll try to make copies for everyone.  I'll also include all the local bars, state stores and such. ;D

Perhaps the M & G is just going be more informal since fewer people are going?  That's fine also if we just meet for our usual afternoon refreshments and head to a local eatery. ;)

Wolfie

Looking forward to your "map"! LOL.

Informal idea is fine with me and always has been. I guess I thought some might have had more expectations and didn't want anyone to be disappointed. Maybe nobody will be. It really is all about the meeting and greeting.  ;)
Gotta eat but that part could be tucked in if nobody seems to mind.
Carl? Sound ok to you? (be honest now) :)

Offline weasel

« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2013, 01:40:28 pm »
Looking forward to your "map"! LOL.

Informal idea is fine with me and always has been. I guess I thought some might have had more expectations and didn't want anyone to be disappointed. Maybe nobody will be. It really is all about the meeting and greeting.  ;)
Gotta eat but that part could be tucked in if nobody seems to mind.
Carl? Sound ok to you? (be honest now) :)

I'm OK with a great Appizza Parlor  :)   or any thing really , less formal , As Long as I can Have a BUD  ;)

Weasel

P.s.   My Diet is going well , I had a Cream Cheese covered Cinnabun for breakfast  :-X
         I think the weight will fall off soon  :D
" Live and let Live "

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2013, 11:36:19 pm »
As long as I can order some unmolested dead animal, I am fine.

The meet and greet should be about fun as well as food, and we have had them at various types of places, from bars to somewhat fancy restaurants.

I will be happy with whatever we decide.

As for the day, Friday might be nice.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.