Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:42:11 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773289
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 690
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 609
Total: 610

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: WHat's my risk of being infected with HIV/STD?  (Read 6117 times)

Offline worriedsgguy

WHat's my risk of being infected with HIV/STD?
« on: November 29, 2006, 06:55:41 am »
Dear All.  I am from Singapore, a male age 27.  Last saturaday - 25/11/2006, i made the most silly mistake of my life and visited a prositute for the first time.  I am a virgin prior to that. 
The lady is a street walker and we started with protected sex.  A few times during sex, my penis came out from her virginal and i pushed it back in.  After a while, she told me the condom broke. I withdrew and true enough, the condom broke.  She then use a new condom over me and we continued.  The whole sex lasted about 10 minute. I think the duration of the condom being broken and i am exposed unprotected inside her was about less than a minute - but i could not be sure.  I think she was quite dry in her virginal as my penis seems dry when i withdrew.   
Today is the 4th day and i am worried sick that i could contract HIV or STD.  I called a AIDs helpline and was told that i can only go for my first blood test 1 month after exposure.  I could not do anything striaght and in my mind, i kept thinking i am infected and am dirty.  Can anyone advise on my risk?
I read in the internet that condom broke issues are low risk but i could not be assured.   
I swore to GOD that i will never touch another girl again other than my wife - If i am lucky enough to escape this time and get married. 

Offline RapidRod

Re: WHat's my risk of being infected with HIV/STD?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 07:22:09 am »
Your risk is lower than not using a condom at all. To calm your worries, test at 12/13 weeks post possible exposure. You should also have an STD panel done also. Just because she is a sw doesn't mean she is hiv positive. Trasmitting hiv from female to male is harder than male to male.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 07:27:59 am »
Worried, how about taking a couple of good deep and slow breaths in and out, right now? I mean it. You'll find it relieves tension and whenever you're getting tense over this incident or anything, remember to do the breathing again.

OK, now that you're breathing, let's get to your incident.

It's very good that you wore a condom. They provide excellent protection. The fact that it broke is of some concern, but until it broke the condom protected you. You do need to get tested in relation to this incident, just as a precaution. The CDC recommends doing a final test at 13 weeks for a conclusive result. Given that all but the smallest number of those who are going to seroconvert will do so within 4-6 weeks after an exposure to the virus, you can if you are very anxious for an answer test at 6 weeks. A negative at that point pretty much insures you will continue to test negative.

Further, you need to know that HIV is not an easy virus to transmit. It's significantly harder to accomplish from female to male. So in a single, brief incident such as you have described in which for a part of the time you had a condom on, the odds are overwhelmingly in your favor that you will test negative.

Make sure in the future that you are wearing latex condoms which fit you comfortably. Always use a water-based lube. That will help to avoid having condoms tear and be more comfortable for both you and your partner. By the way, it doesn't matter if you are with a professional or a civilian in the future. Condoms do the job effectively no matter whom you are with. Right now you are thinking you aren't going to have sex again before marriage. That may change so just be sure you're always wearing a condom for intercourse.  

Also, as you are becoming sexually active, it's a good idea to regularly have a full STD panel done at least annually. There are other STDs out there and some are easier to get than HIV, including by skin-to-skin contact.

By the way, you used the term "dirty" in reference to how you felt. Terms like "clean" and "dirty" have no place here. Give yourself a break. We're just talking sex and STDs.    

This time out I expect you to come through this ok.

Cheers,

Andy Velez

Offline worriedsgguy

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 06:37:00 pm »
Dear Friends,
Thanks for the wonderful re-assuring replies that you gave. Although I am still worried and this issue kept popping into my head, I know that it does no good to me.  I am planning to have a test at the 4th week, 8th week and 13th week.  It is a long wait i would say. 
Another question, I have tight foreskin, meaning the foreskin could not be pulled back fully to expose the whole penis head.  I remember when i withdrew from her, only half of the penis head is exposed.  Will that put me in lower of higher risk?  Someone told me tight foreskin could have splitted and bleed during sex but apparently that did not happen after the condom broke.  Also, what are the chances i will be infected with STDs other than HIV? 
Thanks folks.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.