Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 01:26:16 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 670
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 633
Total: 633

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Retiring and relocating?  (Read 7399 times)

Offline obwahn

• Standard
Retiring and relocating?
« on: June 15, 2021, 05:14:48 pm »
Hi -- I'm wondering if you might be able to point me in a direction.  I'm looking to retire and currently am taking Biktarvy.  I anticipate that my main -- if not sole -- income will be social security.  I've been considering retiring overseas but health care is clearly an issue.  I'm guessing that most private insurance will refuse to cover me -- but I could be wrong.  It also appears, though, that Portugal and Costa Rica will cover you under their national insurance program at some point.

If I stay in the US and maintain an income below the threshold (say 500% below poverty in some states), I can earn up to 50K or so and get my medications subsidized through ADAP.  Medicare Part D seems abysmal in terms of coverage.

Does anyone have any suggestions on resources about relocating overseas with HIV? Or best options for insurance in the US?  I believe AHF offers some specifically designed Medicare programs for HIV+ patients but this is available only in Miami, Atlanta and CA - though moving may be an option.

Dissatisfied with healthcare in the US

Offline obwahn

• Standard
Re: Retiring and relocating?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2021, 05:19:49 pm »
PS -- what are the limits to ordering generic Biktarvy directly from India.

Offline TGun

• Happy to be alive
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2021, 12:29:25 am »
been pondering the sme dynamics.  thailand seems to be a great alternative.  have al look through these boards, theres some info. pm me if yo uwanna chat about it, as i have alot of first hand knowledge of all things not HIV about thailand.   the hiv part, i only know whats in this site. good luck

Offline MitchMiller

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2021, 05:30:39 am »
Some others might be more informed on this issue, but I understand that some states have an asset limit that you must be under to qualify for ADAP.  Most retirees have some sort of nest egg.  Here in NV, I would never qualify based on the meager asset limit of only 10K, excluding home and car.

Here's the article I'm getting that information from:

https://www.verywellhealth.com/adap-to-pay-for-hiv-prescription-drugs-4116839

You can get a retirement visa for Mexico if you meet income and/or minimum asset limits.  A friend recently relocated from the US to Puerta Vallarta and likes it.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 05:34:18 am by MitchMiller »

Offline BKKKevin

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2021, 12:16:03 pm »
I'm of a similar quandary... I was retired and living in Thailand for the last 15 years but recently the Government there has made long term retirement visas very unpredictable and the availability of HIV medications that were easily/cheaply sourced at the Bangkok Red Cross has also been reported to be changing...

I am now a resident of California and covered under the ACA (Im still under 65)... But I am looking at Mexico (Puerto Vallarta) as my main retirement spot and just returning to the US periodically for bi-annual checkups and to pick up my meds that are sent to my domicile PO Box in Palm Springs...

I like the stability of having my US doctor and medications source and plan to maintain it long term as it is highly likely one will have to return to the US at later date either because they are forced out of a country or when when one gets too old...

Basically don't burn your bridges and have a plan B to any life abroad...

I should also mention that I maintain a 6 month supply of HIV meds on hand that was easily sourced while liven in Thailand... One could easily visit Thailand as a tourist and acquire the meds to give them a nice safety net for any country they choose to live..
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 12:48:21 pm by BKKKevin »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.