Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:57:33 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773210
  • Total Topics: 66337
  • Online Today: 581
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 448
Total: 452

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: moderna HIV vaccine  (Read 9943 times)

Offline Cosmicdancer

moderna HIV vaccine
« on: March 14, 2021, 11:34:49 am »
First-in-human clinical trial confirms new HIV vaccine approach
The experimental vaccine primed the immune system as the first stage in the production of broadly neutralizing antibodies (BNABs)

A phase 1 clinical trial testing a novel vaccine approach to prevent HIV has produced promising results, IAVI and Scripps Research announced today. The vaccine showed success in stimulating production of rare immune cells needed to start the process of generating antibodies against the fast-mutating virus; the targeted response was detected in 97 percent of participants who received the vaccine.

"This study demonstrates proof of principle for a new vaccine concept for HIV, a concept that could be applied to other pathogens, as well," says William Schief, Ph.D., a professor and immunologist at Scripps Research and executive director of vaccine design at IAVI's Neutralizing Antibody Center, whose laboratory developed the vaccine. "With our many collaborators on the study team, we showed that vaccines can be designed to stimulate rare immune cells with specific properties, and this targeted stimulation can be very efficient in humans. We believe this approach will be key to making an HIV vaccine and possibly important for making vaccines against other pathogens."

Schief presented the results on behalf of the study team at the International AIDS Society HIV Research for Prevention (HIVR4P) virtual conference today.

The study sets the stage for additional clinical trials that will seek to refine and extend the approach -- with the long-term goal of creating a safe and effective HIV vaccine. As a next step, IAVI and Scripps Research are partnering with the biotechnology company Moderna to develop and test an mRNA-based vaccine that harnesses the approach to produce the same beneficial immune cells. Using mRNA technology could significantly accelerate the pace of HIV vaccine development.

HIV, which affects more than 38 million people globally, is known to be among the most difficult viruses to target with a vaccine, in large part because it constantly evolves into different strains to evade the immune system.

"These exciting findings emerge from remarkably creative, innovative science and are a testament to the research team's talent, dedication and collaborative spirit, and to the generosity of the trial participants," says Mark Feinberg, M.D., Ph.D., president and CEO of IAVI. "Given the urgent need for an HIV vaccine to rein in the global epidemic, we think these results will have broad implications for HIV vaccine researchers as they decide which scientific directions to pursue. The collaboration among individuals and institutions that made this important and exceptionally complex clinical trial so successful will be tremendously enabling to accelerate future HIV vaccine research."

The full article is here
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2021/02/210203162249.htm
Summer, 2007 - &$#@?
November, 2007 - Tested poz, 300,000 vl, 560 cd4
Feb, 2008 - 57,000 vl, 520 cd4, started Atripla
2/2008 - 5/2015 - undetectable on Atripla
May, 2015 - UD, switched to Complera
September, 2015 - UD, 980 cd4, switched to Stribild (Complera interacted with acid reflux medication)
January, 2016 - Stribild, UD, 950 cd4
June, 2016 - UD, 929 cd4

Offline em

Re: moderna HIV vaccine
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2021, 04:46:01 am »
https://www.refinery29.com/en-us/2021/04/10406280/hiv-vaccine-moderna-antibody-response-rate

another news story well time will tell if this one pans out . I know there have been many failed attempts . but this may just be another ? maybe not ? maybe this one has promise?  just thought this might be of interest . 

Offline nethan1621

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2021, 05:47:05 pm »
Anyway this will be a shocking news for who kept Golden chicken for decades

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2021, 01:56:50 pm »
Not sure if a successful vaccine of this type will necessarily mean therapeutic cure.. it might just be a preventive vaccine if it works.

Rollingstone also covered it like this: What the Recent HIV Vaccine Research Findings Really Mean
Over the past year, there has been a dramatic shift in the amount of space vaccines occupy in the public consciousness. During the development and testing of the current Covid-19 vaccines, people followed the different phases of the clinical trials like an early season of American Idol. In fact, many referred to and thought of it as the “race for a vaccine.” This, of course, makes sense, given that from the very start of the pandemic, public health officials made it clear that having a safe, effective vaccine was our ticket back to some type of normalcy.

Several months into the rollout, vaccines are still very much on our radar. While that truly is a win for public health, last week there was widespread confusion over clinical trial findings first made public in February. According to several dramatic headlines and exuberant, widely shared social media posts, thanks to technology developed by Moderna for their Covid-19 vaccine, a highly effective HIV vaccine is well within reach — like a modern-day public health fairytale.

Unfortunately, that didn’t happen. But some combination of misinterpreting the study’s findings, and our ongoing thirst for vaccine news, resulted in that feel-good narrative going viral. (Sorry.)

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-features/hiv-aids-vaccine-moderna-covid-19-1155927/amp/

It's an interesting article.

Offline nethan1621

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2021, 06:01:25 pm »
Vaccine trail approach is to generate rare anti body. Ultimately it will preventive as well as therapeutic.

https://www.arabnews.com/node/1844821/world

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2021, 06:53:50 pm »
Vaccine trail approach is to generate rare anti body. Ultimately it will preventive as well as therapeutic.

https://www.arabnews.com/node/1844821/world
We hope so, but while most vaccines prevent and cure disease, not all do.. and HIV is one tough mf'er to cure.

Btw, that article has some inaccurate information.. for example:
... in recent years, treatments have been discovered to allow many people with HIV to live relatively normal lives, but can cost upward of $500,000 in developed countries.

While it is quite expensive in developed countries, that's a gross exaggeration. There's more but I'm not going to waist anymore time on that gobbledygook.

Offline nethan1621

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2021, 07:09:11 pm »
Let researchers to do their duty rather we jump to conclusions wether positive or negative. Anyway If it works , sorry for big pharma.

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2021, 07:25:15 pm »
I'm sure the researchers aren't bothered by me at all.. and I wish them well bc I appreciate them.

I'm just stating a fact, therapeutic vaccines aren't common and have only been around a few years.. most vaccines are preventive.

Like I said I hope they this mRNA HIV vaccine pans out for us, but don't go betting your life savings on it.

Offline nethan1621

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2021, 06:14:16 am »
Just wait and see... 😁

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2021, 06:26:49 am »
While it is quite expensive in developed countries, that's a gross exaggeration.
one important issue is that this article doesn't give a time range for that $500k. At $3000 a month (over the years my meds have cost anywhere from $2500 to $3500+ a month) that's only 14 years of meds and doesn't include any testing or physician costs. I've been taking meds for 27 years. That makes this number a gross under-estimate for people who are pre-HARRT long term survivors.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2021, 01:18:02 pm »
one important issue is that this article doesn't give a time range for that $500k. At $3000 a month (over the years my meds have cost anywhere from $2500 to $3500+ a month) that's only 14 years of meds and doesn't include any testing or physician costs. I've been taking meds for 27 years. That makes this number a gross under-estimate for people who are pre-HARRT long term survivors.
I assumed the article was referring to yearly cost bc that's how it's usually calculated.. a lifetime will vary from person to person and you should be well over a million.

If that's the case, with only 6yrs and 4mos under my belt I'm somewhere around the $230,000 range just for meds.. and most of that coming from Obamacare (me with some taxpayer funding), ADAP (taxpayers). Since I qualify for ADAP in my new home state, I haven't paid a nickel out of pocket for meds in almost 3yrs.
Though I was asked to switch from Triumeq ($3,300) to Tivicay/Epzicom ($2000) a month.. not mandatorily, but voluntarily to cut ADAP's cost to big pharma and I happily did.

Either way, these meds are way too expensive and someone is paying for it.. Nathan is correct in that respect..
If it works , sorry for big pharma.

#MedicareForAll

« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 01:22:48 pm by Almost2late »

Offline em

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2021, 03:42:14 pm »
someone on facebook posted this and I thought it worth passing on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=AIdOuJTASVc&fbclid=IwAR2y0cFZJK43jENvSW5fRRBdMCcArH24ysS1t_4njzSEBa3PHBG-vzyFhGU

news on a HIV Vaccine, progress 

Offline em

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2021, 03:48:26 pm »
national geographic article on HIV Vaccine

from may 3rd

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/article/the-four-decade-quest-for-an-hiv-vaccine-yields-new-hope?

they ask for your email to open the article.   then they say you can read three articles after entering your email then a subscription is needed  to national geographic to read any more  , just incase you might want to read this .

all the best
 EM 
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 03:55:23 pm by em »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.