Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:29:36 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773198
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 513
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 460
Total: 461

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: ADAP changes in jersey affecting my marriage plans in two weeks.  (Read 3130 times)

Offline camille07

I'm really disheartened right now.  I received a letter from ADAP stating that a major change in income limit distribution has be made.  The change is from  500% to 300%.  I'm working freelance.  I started my own graphic design business, after getting laid off,  which for the first year has brought in about 34k.  That's fine because for ADAP I had to make something less than 36k.  My fiance was laid off last fall and together, with the previous incomes levels for 2 people we would be ok for the time being.  But now for two people it's $43,710.  I don't know what do.

I'm getting married in two weeks to the love of my life.  I feel blessed that I am receiving the adap, where a lot of people are on waiting lists.  Please give me some encouraging advice, because right now I'm really down. :(

Camms
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 12:50:16 pm by camille07 »

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
Re: ADAP changes in jersey affecting my marriage plans in two weeks.
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 01:25:31 pm »
I know some people will balk at my suggestion but since you are a freelancer can you report less income? I guess it's only doable if your clients are not reporting it on their end as having paid it out to you.

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 03:41:58 pm »
Do you have or know a tax consultant with whom you could disclose and discuss this situation?

Offline camille07

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 06:18:17 pm »
Em I use h & r block.  I don't have an independent agent.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 07:01:14 pm »
Camms, I hesitate to post this, and in no way am I trying to bust anyone's bubble, or tell you that you have to do this.  But, early on in my diagnosis, I divorced my 2nd husband to get Medicaid, as my medical expenses were getting way too high.  We stayed together (well,for a little bit), but without it being on paper.  You just have to weigh the pros and cons.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline camille07

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 07:13:36 pm »
Betty-  Thanks, I appreciate the advice.  I don't think you're busting the bubble.  It's what worked for you. 

Camms

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 01:14:46 am »
It is so unfortunate, but I've heard several news stories during this economic situation where married couples have had to divorce to qualify for help.  I hope things work out for you where you can keep your help and still get married. 

Offline camille07

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010, 09:01:44 am »
I'm going to discuss this with my case worker.  I am also going to talk to some of my clients.  I thought about this last night and I am going to go through with the ceremony.  In addition,there are a couple of work options I m considering.

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2010, 05:06:48 pm »
"But now for two people it's $43,710."

Camms,

Can the two of you survive/live on $43,710? If so, when your husband to be gets work, make sure his income doesn't exceed that total when combined with yours.

Think twice about talking with clients about payment methods, deferred payments, etc. You never know when you'll hit someone's righteous-about-taxes button. You risk losing them as a client, but worse yet, being reported to the IRS.

Have a happy celebration!!

Em

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.