Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:10:11 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 379
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 351
Total: 352

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Bruising easily  (Read 13773 times)

Offline ubotts

Bruising easily
« on: July 29, 2007, 10:47:12 am »
Hi All.
Does anyone else get bruised easily...Lately when i wake up, I have black n blues all over,..
Last week i had blood work done, and the needle mark left a huge purple mark
which never happened before..The guy at my clinic who takes my blood has
been doing it for 4 yrs now, and i never had this problem before. I have been
on meds for 5 yrs now..and just recently this is happening..
Can anyone expand on this issue for me...
Oh, by the way, I don't take any aspirin, so it wouldn't be that...Could it be that
i just started Truvada..Iam lost here..advise please..........thanks for your time
and Patience's..
Live Love Laugh and dance like no ones watching.
Laughter is the best medicine, so try to have a laugh everyday..Even if your not feeling your best, think about something that was funny at one time in your life and work with it..   :o)

Offline cjc

• Sweet Girl
Re: Bruising easily
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2007, 02:09:02 pm »
Hello, I take Atripla which is Truvada and Sustiva in one pill and have always bruised easily. It got a little worse after I started my meds in 2005 and now I take a prenatal vitamen every day and that seems to help me at least.  Hope this helps you .  Good luck     Cristy

Offline MOONLIGHT1114

• Cheech 2.2.94 - 4.23.10 We miss you so much!
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2007, 03:31:49 pm »
Hi Ubotts,

I have been on Sustiva and Truvada since Oct 2005.  I have never bruised!  I'm wondering if that will change over time for me?  My mother is 60yo and she bruises just from her purse falling from her shoulder down to her forearm.  I think its related to diet, perhaps, or just plain heredity?  I'll let you know if I hear anything!

~Cindy
HIV+ since '93, 1/12 - CD4 785 and undet.   WOO-HOO!!

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2007, 07:17:29 pm »
I think I bruise more easily, but I'm not on meds--so no correlation there. I've also considered heredity as a factor since my mom has severe vericose veins and just plain aging!!

I am very active, smack my legs with and against stuff more than I ever realize and then wonder where the hell I was when I'm staring at the black and blue marks the next day.

One odd type of bruising I get that I NEVER got before dx, are small bruises on my arms particularly in the bicep area -- about the diameter of a pencil eraser. They seem to appear with zero provocation. Anyone get those?

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2007, 10:28:19 pm »
I bruise easily too especially when I get blood drawn. I am missing the connection with aspirin though, care to clarify? But there are times when I notice lil bruises and don't have a clue where they came from. I didn't know meds could cause bruising either. Enlighten me some more ladies...
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline penguin

• The Penguin Whisperer
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 06:47:45 am »
often, this is caused by low platelet levels - your dr can check this at next blood tests.
I don't think it is likely to be linked with the truvada - but discuss with your dr whether any other meds you take could be contributing.

Queen - aspirin(& warfarin etc) reduces your blood's ability to clot - meaning that bleeding continues for longer & can "leak" into surrounding tissue - causing bruising.

kate

Offline ubotts

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2007, 01:03:15 pm »
Umm..Low platelets..that could be it..because i bruised easy before i even started truvada....
Aspirin, thins the blood and that's why you could bruise easy..Elder people take
an 81 mg a day of aspirin to prevent bloodclots, due to poor circulation..
My mom had to take 81 mgs of aspirin a day after her triple bypass..
I noticed my moms bruised real easy from the aspirin, that's why i had mentioned
that i didnt take aspirin,..
Live Love Laugh and dance like no ones watching.
Laughter is the best medicine, so try to have a laugh everyday..Even if your not feeling your best, think about something that was funny at one time in your life and work with it..   :o)

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2007, 02:05:53 pm »
My doctor had me taking the 81 mg of Bayer but then stopped me from taking it...I just wrote a thread in Living With, talking about is anything safe to take anymore....Aspirin helps in one sense but can cause leaks, that doesn't sound good.....
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline cjc

• Sweet Girl
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2007, 06:23:41 pm »
I bruise easily too especially when I get blood drawn. I am missing the connection with aspirin though, care to clarify? But there are times when I notice lil bruises and don't have a clue where they came from. I didn't know meds could cause bruising either. Enlighten me some more ladies...
                                                                                 Hey queen. Aspirin and ibuprofen thin your blood so you bleed and bruise easier. My doc told me to stop taking it before my surgery so I wouldn't bleed so bad. I don't know if our meds are causing bruising but could be.    Cristy

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2007, 09:31:50 pm »
Have your hemoglobin checked.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline zachysmom

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2007, 09:51:00 pm »
Ohla Beth,
 I bruise as well when they take my blood, it might be the technician too. ( bad technique).
Don't dwell on it to much, you'll drive yourself crazy, Do talk about it with your doc, and see what tests if any you can take to rule out other possibilites.

I wish we didn't have to suffer so. Try to stay happy and healthy my friend. I know this is bugging you, just think good thoughts if you can.,
I'm sending good vibes your way ;D.

later gator,
Nicole
From Russia with love,
Nicole

Offline MOONLIGHT1114

• Cheech 2.2.94 - 4.23.10 We miss you so much!
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2007, 10:51:01 pm »
LOL, I am an "elder" as I take 81mg of aspirin a day at age 37, lol!  No offense taken.  I take ibuprofen for EVERYTHING, its the only thing that gives me relief.  I have a terrible neck and back and ibuprofen helps almost within minutes. 

I have had blood drawn every three months since age 11 because of diabetes, and I never bruise.  I think its hereditary, GFs.

~Cindy

[attachment deleted by admin]
HIV+ since '93, 1/12 - CD4 785 and undet.   WOO-HOO!!

Offline Thick713

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2007, 04:32:25 am »
I think you should get your platelets checked ... my daughter has ITP .. which is a blood condition where here spleen starts attacking her platelets ... and yes aspirin compromises the disease ... so don't take it .. or anything that has aspirin in it.  Good Luck ..

Thick713

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.