Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:13:05 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773209
  • Total Topics: 66337
  • Online Today: 581
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 539
Total: 540

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: New Dietary Guidlines to Help Americans Confront Obesity Epidemic  (Read 8244 times)

Offline emeraldize

News Release
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Monday, January 31, 2011
HHS Press Office (202) 690-6343

USDA and HHS Announce New Dietary Guidelines to Help Americans Make Healthier Food Choices and Confront Obesity Epidemic
WASHINGTON, Jan. 31, 2011 — Agriculture Secretary TomVilsack and Secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Kathleen Sebelius today announced the release of the 2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans, the federal government's evidence-based nutritional guidance to promote health, reduce the risk of chronic diseases, and reduce the prevalence of overweight and obesity through improved nutrition and physical activity.

Because more than one-third of children and more than two-thirds of adults in the United States are overweight or obese, the 7th edition of Dietary Guidelines for Americans places stronger emphasis on reducing calorie consumption and increasing physical activity.

“The 2010 Dietary Guidelines are being released at a time when the majority of adults and one in three children is overweight or obese and this is a crisis that we can no longer ignore,” said Secretary Vilsack.  “These new and improved dietary recommendations give individuals the information to make thoughtful choices of healthier foods in the right portions and to complement those choices with physical activity.  The bottom line is that most Americans need to trim our waistlines to reduce the risk of developing diet-related chronic disease. Improving our eating habits is not only good for every individual and family, but also for our country.”

The new 2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans focus on balancing calories with physical activity, and encourage Americans to consume more healthy foods like vegetables, fruits, whole grains, fat-free and low-fat dairy products, and seafood, and to consume less sodium, saturated and trans fats, added sugars, and refined grains.

“Helping Americans incorporate these guidelines into their everyday lives is important to improving the overall health of the American people,” said HHS Secretary Sebelius. “The new Dietary Guidelines provide concrete action steps to help people live healthier, more physically active and longer lives.”

The 2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans include 23 Key Recommendations for the general population and six additional Key Recommendations for specific population groups, such as women who are pregnant. Key Recommendations are the most important messages within the Guidelines in terms of their implications for improving public health.  The recommendations are intended as an integrated set of advice to achieve an overall healthy eating pattern.  To get the full benefit, all Americans should carry out the Dietary Guidelines recommendations in their entirety.

More consumer-friendly advice and tools, including a next generation Food Pyramid, will be released by USDA and HHS in the coming months. Below is a preview of some of the tips that will be provided to help consumers translate the Dietary Guidelines into their everyday lives:

•Enjoy your food, but eat less.
•Avoid oversized portions.
•Make half your plate fruits and vegetables.
•Switch to fat-free or low-fat (1%) milk.
•Compare sodium in foods like soup, bread, and frozen meals – and choose the foods with lower numbers.
•Drink water instead of sugary drinks.
This edition of the Dietary Guidelines comes at a critical juncture for America’s health and prosperity.   By adopting the recommendations in the Dietary Guidelines, Americans can live healthier lives and contribute to a lowering of health-care costs, helping to strengthen America’s long-term economic competitiveness and overall productivity.

USDA and HHS have conducted this latest review of the scientific literature, and have developed and issued the 7th edition of the Dietary Guidelines for Americans in a joint effort that is mandated by Congress. The Guidelines form the basis of nutrition education programs, Federal nutrition assistance programs such as school meals programs and Meals on Wheels programs for seniors, and dietary advice provided by health professionals.

The Dietary Guidelines, based on the most sound scientific information, provide authoritative advice for people 2 years and older about how proper dietary habits can promote health and reduce risk for major chronic diseases.

The Dietary Guidelines aid policymakers in designing and implementing nutrition-related programs. They also provide education and health professionals, such as nutritionists, dietitians, and health educators with a compilation of the latest science-based recommendations. A table with key consumer behaviors and potential strategies for professionals to use in implementing the Dietary Guidelines is included in the appendix.

The 2010 Dietary Guidelines is available at www.dietaryguidelines.gov.

For more information on dietary guidelines, see www.health.gov/dietaryguidelines  and www.healthfinder.gov/prevention

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

USDA is an equal opportunity provider, employer and lender. To file a complaint of discrimination, write: USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Ave., SW, Washington, DC 20250-9410 or call (800) 795-3272 (voice), or (202) 720-6382 (TDD).

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
Re: New Dietary Guidlines to Help Americans Confront Obesity Epidemic
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 06:12:19 pm »
Gee, you think they're a little late?

The new guiidelines are actually pretty interesting, including the part about limiting salt, by age, and gearing your calorie intake to match your physical activity.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 10:31:52 am »
Hi Mark,

Yes, just a little late!

I think making visual references like half a plate of vegetables and fruits makes a guideline easier to remember. Too bad it isn't easy to grab a visual for each of them -- like salt.

HUGS Back at ya.
Em

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 10:48:45 am »

I think making visual references like half a plate of vegetables and fruits makes a guideline easier to remember. Too bad it isn't easy to grab a visual for each of them -- like salt.

I have used the visual regarding the half of the plate filled with veggies for a while now. A nutritionist mentioned it to me once upon a time.  It really does help.

Another thing the nutritionist mentioned is the visualize your dinner plate at half to two-thirds the size it actually is.

That is how I managed to lose 15 unattractive pounds.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 11:16:20 am »
I appreciate that. I would like to lose 15 pounds which I find unattractive, but my family thinks make me look "healthy". I guess one way to approach it is to use smaller plates--and I have some. I'm going to try that.

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 02:59:59 pm »
I appreciate that. I would like to lose 15 pounds which I find unattractive, but my family thinks make me look "healthy". I guess one way to approach it is to use smaller plates--and I have some. I'm going to try that.

I was searching the web (I know that can be dangerous) and found various 'diets' that not only help a body to loose fat but detox as well.  No need to start a new topic really but wanted to post something I found.  The plan offers three stages and from my read there is nothing too terrible in any of them that would cause health problems.  I am not one to recommend putting the body in a state of ketosis (Atkins Diet) and would never suggest doing that.  Funny name to this for sure, I think I would just call it getting back to basics instead of a Caveman Power Diet. 

Here goes:

http://www.cavemanpower.com/food/caveman_power_diet.html

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.