Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 06:22:14 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 212
Total: 215

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Way, way, way, way...away...  (Read 14460 times)

Offline LongTimeSurvivor

• I don'no...there may be Zombears...in theres...
Way, way, way, way...away...
« on: April 20, 2012, 07:50:35 pm »
My mind wanders...

Here's the question. Weigh in if you care, even atheists. In the bible passage that says God created man in his own image...was our human body shell, which holds the soul, created in the image of God or was it the soul, inside the shell, which was created in the image of God?

This is what happens when I have spare time on my hands. I need to keep busier...
Of course it's important. It's an email...

Offline roy100

Re: Way, way, way, way...away...
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 09:54:20 pm »
It was in the sense that the soul never dies, and is a tiny  part of God.
From there, you can add on, and you will always be short........
Diagnosed 18Th March 2010
March 30Th VL +100,000 CD4 46
CD8T  575 CD8 %60.6
On Truvada and Kaletra. . Remeron 15mg  and150 mg  wellbutrin xl for depression. Clonazepan 2 mg to sleep. Omeprazole 20  once a day.
July 17 2010 Vl 362 CD4 155, 6.4 %
CD8T suppressors 1482 CD8% 61.1
 Nov 16 2010: V l 937 CD4 188,10%
CD8T Suppresors 997 CD8%55.8
August 15th 2011 Vl UD, less than 40.
CD4:543(26.7%) CD8:887 (43.6 %) Ratio .61
Jan 14th,2012 ,less than 40.
CD4:478 (24.4%) CD8: 962 (49.1%) Ratio.50
June 2012 CD4 599, CD8 856 UD
Oct 2013 CD 702, CD 843 UD Ratio:.87

Offline bear60

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 10:04:50 pm »
Somebody has too much time on their hands.

Take your pick.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 12:11:20 pm »
Humans are meat puppets largely made of six elements , mystery solved .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 01:45:07 pm »
even atheists.
atheists, by definition, don't really care nor think about the movtives/actions of other people's imaginary friend in the sky. ;)

however my baptist upbringing tells me to say that it's the soul created in God's likeness of course. how else can one explain being made in "god's image" when some are yellow, some pink, some brown, some black, some with breasts, some with penises, some with deformities. Of course, the Bible didn't mean the outward appearance - otherwise that would be pretty horrific-looking god and all of us wouldn't look like him but only a portion of him.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline bear60

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 02:04:43 pm »
Actually I like to think that we were made in the image of the aliens who created us.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 02:10:02 pm »
Humans are meat puppets largely made of six elements , mystery solved .

Chuckle ---I ask you meat puppets .
Chuckle
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 01:00:34 am »
I guess it would depend on which of the Gods or Goddesses you were using as the model.

;)

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline wolfter

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 08:23:21 pm »
Takes me back to many of my theologies classes at the Christian University I graduated from.  I was in the closet about being an agnostic for fear of retribution.  I was a Wolfe in Sheeps clothes.

Wolfie
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline LongTimeSurvivor

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 10:17:30 pm »
Such a clever bunch I've hooked up with...witty even...

Yes, I happen to "believe" or have "faith." Aside from too much time on my hands...part of the question relates to the fact that God is always given a human form in religious art...or 99.9% of the time. I wondered how that squared with the idea that the image of God might be our soul and not our bodies.

Anyway, appreciate the comments...I knew not everyone would answer seriously...well, that might not be the best word for it...I expected answers to reflect a range of beliefs and no beliefs. Who could ask for more!

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 12:58:31 am »
the fact that God is always given a human form in religious art
art though is man's expression of how god must look. artists portrayed him as a white male, while that might not necessarily be the image of god (if Jehovah actually exists and exists on our plane of reality). I'm sure it was much easier to paint a beneficent-looking aged old man (which would imply wealth and extreme health to those in ages past who died before even reaching 40) than a glob of energy or an invisible-to-the-eye spirit. Of course Jesus is painted as a nice white European man with a brown beard and the Holy Spirit is a dove or flicker of fire. I'm sure none of those are accurate portrayals of those entities either ;)

but really how does one many an artistic representation of a Trinity god? for all we know either the giant disembodied-hand writing on the wall or the burning non-consumed bush is the true representation of god.

or maybe the best representation would be the glorious shiny ass he let Moses see  ;) ;D Heaven knows I've see a few asses that made me think I was seeing god. 8)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 06:20:06 pm »
Well, speaking as Wiccan Unitarian Universalist, I would say there is no single model for the deities.

That is why I said it would depend on which of the Gods or Goddesses you were using as a model when saying mankind was made in God's image.

I know Christianity and monotheism seem to be the belief system du jour, but there are others out there. 8)

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2012, 06:18:12 pm »
There are problems in this discussion -- first the OP states something from the Bible but then seems to invite those from other belieft systems, or non-belief to comment, and I'm left wondering if this is the depiction of the Christian divinity in religious art, or the depiction of same in religious art of other beliefs. God(s) obviously have taken on non-human forms in the myriad religions since people began having any formalized belief system.

That said, it is inaccurate to state that God in the Christian sense has always been portrayed in human form. For the first thousand years God was, in fact, avoided by painters in being portrayed like that due to several scriptural passages (most likely similar to ones in Islam and I also think Jewis). Only the "hand of God" was depicted in early Christian art (emerging from a cloud, etc.) and this was adopted from Jewish depictions. So, it was generally Jesus that was depicted -- and in that you get into the whole question of consubstantiality in early Christian theology, etc., and probably above my pay grade. As in a depiction of Jesus is a depiction of the Son of Man, not God the Father and obviously not the Holy Spirit.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 06:22:20 pm by Miss Philicia »
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline LongTimeSurvivor

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2012, 09:09:17 pm »
The question was concerning whether the soul or the human form were created in the image of God per the Bible. The matter of art came into the discussion because a fair amount of religiously oriented art depicts God in human form (interesting about the first thousand years of hand only...still...even the hand as depicted has been in human form). Yes, one could throw in the item about God being God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit but that I think gets beyond the original scope of the question.

I didn't want to limit the discussion to only people who say they're Christians. There are many people of other beliefs and of no beliefs who have explored the meanings in the Bible as well as other religious texts. You can learn a lot when you allow yourself to listen to other opinions. Listening doesn't mean you agree. I think it allows you to better understand your own beliefs.

Again...thanks for the responses.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2012, 09:14:08 pm »
Yes, one could throw in the item about God being God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit but that I think gets beyond the original scope of the question.

No, not at all. It's completely relevant. Are you talking about depictions of God the Father in Christian art, or of Jesus? You were not clear at the beginning of the thread, and I am still not clear now even after your last rambling post.

ps: you'd get more responses to a non-HIV subject if you'd place this in Off Topic instead of LTS.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 09:15:54 pm by Miss Philicia »

Offline LongTimeSurvivor

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2012, 10:14:49 pm »
The question was concerning whether the soul or the human form were created in the image of God per the Bible.

Maybe more responses, but I tend to stay in this thread more than others...so I "know" those who are responding...to some degree at least.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2012, 08:52:15 am »
While you ladies discuss how many angels can dance on the head of a pin, you've neglected one tiny detail. Evolution.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2012, 10:28:36 am »
What I suppose others would consider to be my concept of "god", I consider to be a universal energy force of some sort. There are many nuggets truths contained in all religions, spiritual beliefs, whatever you want to name the concept - and one of those truths that most share is that humans cannot really put a name on "god". It's far beyond our understanding. So I don't try to name it or describe it - it just is, ok?

As for evolution - this nameless force is what drives evolution. It's what drives everything. But to name it or describe it or to attribute its image to any single thing in the universe? Wow, that's a pretty tall order. We're all "god" and everything is "god" - it can't be separated out.

Confused? Eh. For me, it isn't a concept that can be talked about using our limited language tools. It just is, ok? So don't try to force your belief systems on me - given how I view the concept, you can't know what you're talking about because it simply cannot be talked about.

Heh. You asked. :)
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline LongTimeSurvivor

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2012, 10:33:22 am »
Didn't neglect evolution. Not really germane to the question being pondered. Have no problem with evolution. I believe it's the most plausible theory. To me time has no meaning for God. So whether he took 14 billion years or six days, by our reckoning, our concept of time doesn't apply to God. In biblical times, God would have explained the creation of the universe in a way the people of that time could grasp.

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2012, 11:01:29 am »
As a rule, and I've discovered THIS many yrs ago way back when I was in my 20s & 30s I have always left out religion, sexual orientation, race, and political views out of all of my conversations  :D

I found that to be a very SAFE approach, why you may ask, the reason being is due to the fact that
I could NEVER win any argument with any of these topics  :o

as we all have very different views, so I always try to find the door or exit when they do come up, as I never wanted to offend anyone with my opinions  except right-wing conservatives or religious fanatics  ;D
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2012, 11:26:37 am »
Ann summed up how I feel about this word for word .

I cant help but think science and physics solve more of the universes mysteries than religion could ever put into words .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2012, 11:30:12 am »
My mind wanders...

This is what happens when I have spare time on my hands. I need to keep busier...

Agreed. 
"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline LongTimeSurvivor

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2012, 12:29:52 pm »
Ann...just want to clarify something you stated in your post.

That by asking my initial question, I'm forcing my belief system on you?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2012, 12:53:34 pm »
Ann...just want to clarify something you stated in your post.

That by asking my initial question, I'm forcing my belief system on you?

No, I wasn't speaking directly to you when I said that. I was speaking with a nod in the direction of people who belong to religions that insist their believers try to convert everyone they meet. Sorry for the confusion.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Lugzsoo

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2012, 02:34:06 pm »
There's something out there I don't know if it's god but I  know it something .im just confused about the church thing there's alot to pick from .

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2012, 03:36:34 pm »
God would have explained the creation of the universe in a way the people of that time could grasp.

Oh really, how convenient. Was this around the time he was explaining to slaves to mind their masters?

Offline LongTimeSurvivor

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2012, 09:43:12 pm »
Dachshund--no, not convenient, just an expression of what I think in response to a question about evolution...which again, in itself, wasn't really germane to my subject.

The subject of this thread was concerning whether the soul or the human form were created in the image of God per the Bible. Not the veracity of the bible, just in regards to the subject of this thread what could be concluded per the contents of the Bible.

Your comment would probably be a good basis for another thread. But it doesn't address the subject I posted. Thanks anyway though for your contribution.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2012, 08:47:13 am »
God per the Bible. Not the veracity of the bible

Like I said, convenient.

Offline LongTimeSurvivor

« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2012, 09:30:29 am »
Whatever...

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2012, 09:37:57 am »
My mind wanders...

Here's the question. Weigh in if you care, even atheists. In the bible passage that says God created man in his own image...was our human body shell, which holds the soul, created in the image of God or was it the soul, inside the shell, which was created in the image of God?

If god created me in his own image, I've more than repaid the compliment.

Any other questions, Reverend Haggard?

MtD

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2012, 11:08:14 am »
Here's a whole list of even better biblical questions.  Enough to satisfy all your mental masturbation needs:

http://jhuger.com/biblethumpers
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2012, 11:54:00 am »
Somebody has too much time on their hands.

Take your pick.

or he's been smoking some really good shit  ;D
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline MarkB

« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2012, 01:12:28 pm »
LTS

The short answer is that there is no consensus, either in Antiquity or among modern biblical scholars, as to the precise definition of בצלמנו כדמותנו (bəṣalmênū kiḏmūṯênū) at Genesis 1:26. Unsurprisingly, in the Christian tradition from Patristic times onward, the "we" of this text was hit on as the pluralis maiestatis: in other words, an unambiguous reference to their trinitarian belief, and for them, something of a proof-text.

From the perspective of modern critical scholarship, however, this is simply nonsense. These texts cannot be understood without reference to wider Ancient Near-Eastern creation myths; and originally, the "we" is evidently the heavenly court of which Yahweh (and his wife, Asherah) were part and latterly became the dominant figures after a cosmic war. It must also be remembered that more than one source is evidenced in this composite text; and that while (for example) rabbinical Judaism became unquestionably monotheistic, their antecedents were just as unquestionably henotheistic, and the Tanakh offers eloquent witness to the cultic power-struggle which took place.

As to the "image and likeness" aspect of this text, linguistically it is highly probable that it simply referred to the (presumed) shape of the gods. The being which the Heavenly Court fashioned was deliberately made to look like them, and the whole thing is anthropomorphic through and though. A parallel to this text is found in Genesis 5:3, where it is noted that Adam himself begot a son (= Seth) in his own likeness and image (בדמותו כצלמו: the order is reversed). In other words, like father, like son.

What you do with all that in terms of your own 'theology' or 'spirituality' is, of course, up to you. I'm an atheist, and for me it's all hogwash. But while I do not respect your beliefs, I do respect your right to believe them.

Mark

(who is currently homeless and sleeping on someone else's sofa ...)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 04:00:13 am by MarkB »

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2012, 01:15:22 pm »
If I was created in His image G_d must be pretty cute then. 
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline MarkB

« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2012, 01:20:39 pm »
If I was created in His image G_d must be pretty cute then.

That's as may be, but the sad truth is that if it is I who was created in god's image and likeness, then god is, like, dog-ugly ...

;D

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2012, 01:24:33 pm »

(who is currently homeless and sleeping on someone else's sofa ...)

Your post was fierce and that's all that matters.

Offline MarkB

« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2012, 01:25:28 pm »
Your post was fierce and that's all that matters.

Fierce? I thought I was being polite.

Offline Azrael2012

• Say Hello! :D
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2012, 02:22:38 pm »
 ;) I love conversations like this, especially over a pint of Guinness. If you go by the Christian point of view, the Bible does state, "man is made in the image and likeness of God" but the question is it the Soul or the External Shell we all have?
Personally I believe in an External Source, I dont see a Godhead figure of an Old man with the White Beard living in the sky.....its a concept created to explain in simple terms the philosophical view of a Supreme Deity to those who choose to believe in such...it was also something created to introduce a level of fear so person would contribute in monetary terms to a Church.
In the same way, people who choose not to believe in any religion, are no less human or detached from those who do believe, and those who "belong" to an organised religion shouldnt feel more senior than those who dont.
I choose the term, "disorganised religion" as I feel most of them are that way inclined, Im not dissing those who believe, as I once belonged to an organised Church, but when you are told that you cannot belong because of your sexuality or because you come from a home where your parents are divorced, it flies in the face of all that is considered "Christian". (just my own views)
The "Soul" is that which makes each of us unique, when a body dies, the essence of that person, the "soul" is what leaves the human form and the person is no longer there......if it remained, the person after death would still look "alive".
I can vouch for this after having first hand experience of it and am not afraid of death......we can choose to miss those who we love who are no longer here after death, but they never really leave us....sorry for the rant...Ive kinda forgotten the question! LOL!

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2012, 04:57:10 pm »
I always find it interesting that humans will always go to great lengths denying that they are as worthless, in the context of the larger universe, than a speck of dust laying on the carpet.

Offline Azrael2012

« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2012, 05:03:07 pm »
What happens to those Miss P who have wooden floors?  ;)

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2012, 05:21:14 pm »
What happens to those Miss P who have wooden floors?  ;)

Generally they are fisted by The Supreme Life Force.

Offline Azrael2012

« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2012, 05:35:22 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
 Oh Miss P, Thank You for making me giggle.....hows thing in Philly? Its been years since I was there......  ;)

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2012, 08:15:07 pm »
Here's a whole list of even better biblical questions.  Enough to satisfy all your mental masturbation needs:

http://jhuger.com/biblethumpers

This linked me to this:
http://jhuger.com/kisshank.php

which is probably the coolest thing I've seen in a while.

Offline spacebarsux

• Survival of the Fittest
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2012, 02:25:30 am »
I always find it interesting that humans will always go to great lengths denying that they are as worthless, in the context of the larger universe, than a speck of dust laying on the carpet.

I'm starting to believe the very opposite: the whole universe, galaxies, stars, solar system, sun, earth were miraculously created through a litany of fortuitous strokes. It took billions of years for life to evolve, millions for humans to evolve, thousands and thousands of fortunate events had to conspire successfully to bring my existence into being.

Thus, when I die, all of it will die with me. The Universe will carry on of course, except that I won't be here to perceive it, my mind and body won't exist- so, in that light I am the only thing that matters. All else is an illusion.

I might be a speck of stardust, but that's the only speck that's mine. ;D
Infected-  2005 or early 2006; Diagnosed- Jan 28th, 2011; Feb '11- CD4 754 @34%, VL- 39K; July '11- CD4 907@26%,  VL-81K; Feb '12- CD4 713 @31%, VL- 41K, Nov '12- CD4- 827@31%

Offline MarkB

« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2012, 07:03:20 am »
Fierce? I thought I was being polite.

Ann has just explained to me what 'fierce' means. You can tell English isn't my first language ... 

:-[  ;D

Offline StacheBC

• Hello
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2012, 11:49:45 pm »
My interpretation:
If we are created in God's image... that means when I/you/him/her look in the mirror, we are looking at God.
To me the it means we're all God... we're all connected.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2012, 09:07:52 am »
;) I love conversations like this, especially over a pint of Guinness. If you go by the Christian point of view, the Bible does state, "man is made in the image and likeness of God" but the question is it the Soul or the External Shell we all have?
Personally I believe in an External Source, I dont see a Godhead figure of an Old man with the White Beard living in the sky.....its a concept created to explain in simple terms the philosophical view of a Supreme Deity to those who choose to believe in such...it was also something created to introduce a level of fear so person would contribute in monetary terms to a Church.
In the same way, people who choose not to believe in any religion, are no less human or detached from those who do believe, and those who "belong" to an organised religion shouldnt feel more senior than those who dont.
I choose the term, "disorganised religion" as I feel most of them are that way inclined, Im not dissing those who believe, as I once belonged to an organised Church, but when you are told that you cannot belong because of your sexuality or because you come from a home where your parents are divorced, it flies in the face of all that is considered "Christian". (just my own views)
The "Soul" is that which makes each of us unique, when a body dies, the essence of that person, the "soul" is what leaves the human form and the person is no longer there......if it remained, the person after death would still look "alive".
I can vouch for this after having first hand experience of it and am not afraid of death......we can choose to miss those who we love who are no longer here after death, but they never really leave us....sorry for the rant...Ive kinda forgotten the question! LOL!

Perhaps you've missed your stop, doll. ::)

For the rest of you pissants: ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

>:(

MtD

Offline MarkB

« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2012, 03:13:18 pm »
For the rest of you pissants: ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

>:(

MtD
[/quote]

Offline planonstaying

• Hiv is the FOX,tcells the rabbit, CALL the HOUNDS!
« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2012, 08:10:18 am »
I think man created God in his image  and  its  reflected today  whenyou look at  the diveristy of christian sects.  The tolerant  and  loving choose  a tolerant and lovivng sect  and  view of God. The intolerant the opposite

There is no proof of  a soul  and frankly I  am  a disbeliever in the idea. Good living  requires, empathy, understanding.  If I cease  in the last moment of consciusneess  isht  that's then my  eternity ?     As to  the bible  it has many many  statements that are the antithesis  of each other
If someone tells you  potential consequences of a behavior  it  doesn't  mean they jude you or mit    they may just give a shit about you

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.