Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:58:27 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772950
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 447
Total: 449

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Taking my very first med tonight. Atripla.  (Read 8582 times)

Offline mbpoz6

Taking my very first med tonight. Atripla.
« on: March 10, 2011, 08:32:25 pm »
Just got back from the Pharmacy and grabbed my first bottle of Atripla.

I'm extremely nervous, scared, uncertain, anxious and a whole lotta other feelings right now about taking this tonight. It's my first med, my first night, my first experience with this overall..... I hope nothing serious/bad happens to me. Wish me luck! I should have an update for you guys tomorrow.

And thanks again to everyone that has helped me on this site. I really appreciate it.  :)

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
Re: Taking my very first med tonight. Atripla.
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 09:51:55 am »
Hey Mb, how'd the first night go?

wishing you the best!

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline mbpoz6

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 06:16:23 pm »
Hey willy thanks for replying.

I was waiting for something "big" to happen and anticipating very anxiously like I was waiting for the ball drop on New Years eve LOL. But then...nothing. I took it and went to bed and that was that.

I did wake up to pee in the middle of the night and felt a bit dizzy but that was it.  The "vivid dreams" were somewhat there though, but nothing crazy..... No other side effect occurred, thank god... but it was only one night. So we will have to see what happens in the coming days. I will keep you updated.

I also bought some vitamins today (vitamin d, and a multivitamin) that I will also take, but separately from the atripla. That's what my pharmacist said. I get different answers from different people about when to take the vitamins.

Offline Nate

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 06:01:57 am »
Hey!!!

Welcome to the world of ATRIPLA!!!

I gotta tell ya, I started Atripla about 5 years ago ( now I take Viraday ) And I loved it!!!

It helps put me to sleep and I LOVE THE DREAMS!!!!  Its like a mini vacation each night.

I hope you continue with all the positives associated with it.

BE CAREFUL IF YOU USE KNIFES OR OPERATE A CAR!!!  NO JOKE... This stuff is not a good choice to be doing these things when your on it.

I just lay in bed and let my mind take off on a ride!

I find the dizziness and "drunkness" goes away by the time I wake up in the morning.

If I forget to take my pill at night I DO NOT TAKE IT THE NEXT MORNING BEFORE WORK.  By doctor says I should take it, but I really cant function on it ... AT ALL.

The half life of the drug is long enough where if I miss it a few times/ month its still ok on my numbers as I've seen.

About your vitamins...I take a multivitamin every morning with breakfast.  I read some where research has shown that HIV medicines deplete the human body of certain nutrients, and a daily multivitamin is good for replenishing those nutrients.  I take mine daily, and I think it is part of what contributes to my being able to keep good numbers (non-detect CD4 862).  That and daily exercise.

Best of luck! ;)
I take Candy from Strangers ;-p

Offline mbpoz6

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 11:58:13 pm »
Hey!!!

Welcome to the world of ATRIPLA!!!

I gotta tell ya, I started Atripla about 5 years ago ( now I take Viraday ) And I loved it!!!

It helps put me to sleep and I LOVE THE DREAMS!!!!  Its like a mini vacation each night.

I hope you continue with all the positives associated with it.

BE CAREFUL IF YOU USE KNIFES OR OPERATE A CAR!!!  NO JOKE... This stuff is not a good choice to be doing these things when your on it.

I just lay in bed and let my mind take off on a ride!

I find the dizziness and "drunkness" goes away by the time I wake up in the morning.

If I forget to take my pill at night I DO NOT TAKE IT THE NEXT MORNING BEFORE WORK.  By doctor says I should take it, but I really cant function on it ... AT ALL.

The half life of the drug is long enough where if I miss it a few times/ month its still ok on my numbers as I've seen.

About your vitamins...I take a multivitamin every morning with breakfast.  I read some where research has shown that HIV medicines deplete the human body of certain nutrients, and a daily multivitamin is good for replenishing those nutrients.  I take mine daily, and I think it is part of what contributes to my being able to keep good numbers (non-detect CD4 862).  That and daily exercise.

Best of luck! ;)
Thanks Nate!

I have been on Atripla for about 2.5 weeks so far... and side effects are very minimal. So far so good. I hope it stays this way or gets better. Besides the slight dizziness (which is almost gone), no other serious side effect has occurred.

I take my vitamin d and multivitamin usually in the afternoon at work. I also exercise 3 times a week (mostly lifting weights and let exercises).

I have yet to do my blood test but when I do, I will post the results here of course. It should be within a few weeks.

Offline mbpoz6

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 10:07:00 am »
Came from the docs yesterday and I have got my very first Atripla results.

After only 4 weeks of taking the meds, my VL went from 48,000, to 187. My CD4 went from 280 to 390!!!!

I'm so happy! My doc was surprised herself and didn't expect the results to be soo good! Everything else like my cholesterol, liver, kidneys etc are all good as well. :)

Thanks Atripla  :)  And thanks to all the help from the forums and it's contributing members.

Offline zerotigra

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 03:44:06 am »
Hi Mbpoz6 - I really enjoyed your posts and made me feel better.  I'm about to start on my first meds, Atripla.  Been poz for 11 years.  Thanks for your post!

Offline rocky48

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 10:14:06 am »
I started on Atripla last night for the first time.  Hope my side effects are as good as some of you guys. This forum really gives some interesting points of view on being poz and medicines. The only thing I found that Atripla is so costly at $1,725.00 per month.

My numbers as I start are cd4 378 and vl 14500 hope for good numbers next month

Well thanks.
Started Atripla on 4/23/11
5/27/11   CD4 - 572 VL - 130
9/30/11   CD4 - 566 VL - UD
3/23/12   CD4 - 640 VL - UD
9/21/12   CD4 - 699 VL - UD
Switched to Triumeq its been a couple years now.
8/27/18   CD4 - 756  VL - UD

Offline mbpoz6

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 11:31:11 pm »
Hey thanks for the response guys.   

zerotigra, I'm glad my post made you feel better. I'm sure you will do fine. If I can do, it so can you (I sound like a tv commercial lol). Atripla is a wonderful drug that works wonders. Wow 11 years and no meds until now??? Lucky you. I started right away, even though I had a choice, I was too afraid to wait and just wanted to get my numbers to the right place.

rocky48, Welcome to the Atripla club.   ;D  You will probably have little to no side effects.   I do agree that Atripla is costly, but thankfully it's cheaper where I'm at. I'm in Toronto, Canada and its about $1350 or so a month. Cheaper, but still expensive at the end of the day lol.

Both of you guys should be just fine and have great numbers when you do your next tests. Thanks again for the replies and keep us all posted :)

Offline northernguy

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2011, 08:06:03 am »
mbpoz6, you don't actually pay the Atripla cost out of pocket do you?  Doesn't the Trillium drug program cover most of it?

Here in BC the cost of all HIV meds is 100% covered by the province.
Apr 28/06 cd4 600 vl 10,600 cd% 25
Nov 8/09 cd4 510 vl 49,5000 cd% 16
Jan 16/10 cd4 660 vl 54,309 cd% 16
Feb 17/10 Started Atripla
Mar 7/10 cd4 710 vl 1,076 cd% 21
Apr 18/10 cd4 920 vl 268 cd% 28
Jun 19/10 cd4 450 vl 60 cd% 25
Aug 15/10 cd4 680 vl 205 cd% 27
Apr 3/11 cd4 780 vl <40 cd% 30
Jul 17/11 cd4 960 vl <40 cd%33
April 15/12 cd4 1,010 vl <40 cd% 39
April 20/12 Switched to Viramune + Truvada
Aug 2/12 cd4 1040, vl <40, cd% 38
Oct 19 cd4 1,110 vl <40 cd% 41

Offline zerotigra

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2011, 03:11:35 am »
Well I'm actually now on my third night of Atripla.  The first night I took it a couple hours before bed and was actually pleasantly surprised that I got a real nice buzz from it.  Sleep was interrupted, woke up 4 or 5 times in the night and had crazy (but fun) dreams.  I always have had strange dreams anyway so I don't think the drug really affected me a lot in that sense.  Next day I was a little groggy, not sure what was due to the Atripla or the fact that I just didn't have a great sleep.  Next night I took the pill and honestly was anticipating the buzz, and nothing happened.  Business as usual.  Next day pretty much normal - I had a couple of moments where I was a little dizzy but really pretty much normal.  And after tonight I figure that I won't have any effects at all from this med.  I am really really happy with this considering I was so scared to start meds and really I am so very relieved.  I don't think this is going to affect my regular life at all.  Cheers all.

Offline zerotigra

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2011, 04:25:28 am »
Ok so after my last couple post, Atripla is pretty much a non-issue.  I have NO side effects.  At all.  In fact for the last week while I have been on this drug I have awakened more refreshed and alive than I can remember in a long time.  I'm usually a bad morning person but I feel really good now.

Offline zerotigra

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2011, 04:21:16 am »
Wow, actually got my first blood tests back and my viral load went from 38000 to 175 and cd4 doubled in only three weeks!

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2011, 12:53:53 pm »
Wow, actually got my first blood tests back and my viral load went from 38000 to 175 and cd4 doubled in only three weeks!
Congrats on the latest lab results -
Also, glad to hear that Atripla is working so well for you - with little/no side effects.  Welcome to the "A" Team.   :)
September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline anewpozzie

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2011, 12:26:07 pm »
hello
new here to this site and relieved I am not the only one with this concern.
I am on truvada, isentress and OMG  AZT.
ID is switching me to Atripla this week and nervous about the side effects.  i have none with current combo but my load went up last draw.  it was undectable last month.  doc hated my combo anyway. my cd4 is 800 and vl 50.
it was 40 last draw.  glad to hear some people don't have the side effects.  will keep this thread posted.  thanks!

Offline Ac75088

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2011, 02:09:28 pm »
Welcome anewpozzle..Atripla is a good pill..u should be pleasantly surprised :)

Offline anewpozzie

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2011, 02:16:51 pm »
thanks for the encourangement.  the azt scared me. 
i am going to get my copay assistance tomorrow for atripla nad plan to start on friday night so i can have to weekend to get used to. 

Offline Ac75088

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2011, 02:31:52 pm »
I like Atripla because it is SO nice to my stomach lol...the only real bothersome effect for me is the morning grogginess, but that's only because I eat a lot of fatty foods for dinner, and when I take my pill too close to when I'm done eating, it knocks me out..just watch ur eating habits at first :)

Offline anewpozzie

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2011, 04:42:19 pm »
yes- i read to avoid fatty foods before bedtime.
my cd4 count is at a respectable 800 but the load went up twice.
i try so hard not miss doses so miffed why it went up.

been a bad boy too.  taking the load as they say.

:)

Offline funkycj

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2011, 10:15:31 am »
reading these has put my mind at rest a little if this is the med i start next week , gotta wait and see what the pharmacists says due to othe rmeds im currently on but if i get put on this it seems that the side effects are similar to the ones of my current meds ,
hope all is goin well with your first line treatment  :)
Until the rainbow burns the stars out of the sky
Until the ocean covers every mountain high
Until the day that eight times eight times eight is four
Until the day that it's the day that I'm no more
Did you know that true love asks for nothing
Their acceptance is the way we pay
Did you know that life has given love a guarentee
That last through forever
Another day

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.