Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:50:35 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 387
Total: 390

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: tested positive 7/28...  (Read 7280 times)

Offline New Poz Guy

tested positive 7/28...
« on: July 31, 2011, 05:47:55 pm »
I've  read some of the new poz guys posts and am experiencing all these same new feelings in a new reality.
I really appreciate the responses from those who have been further down this road but I'm really struggling with this now.
My situation (please understand this all new so I won't be using proper terminology):
After a non test (meaning there was suppose to be an HIV test amongst other bloodwork by my primary caregiver but the lab never looked for HIV) I just decided I would go to a clinic that offered quick results.
It was a very compassionate place that let me know after a finger prick rapid test that it came back positive it was then confirmed by a gum swabbing test that also came back positive. They then took blood for what reason I'm still not sure. Simple as that...

I've read some of the new struggling guys posts as have been a bit comforted by hopes of some kind of future but I'm really struggling and haven't shared this with anyone yet. It's all new and I don't want to have conversations until I'm better educated. As it stands now, just reading on this site, I'm getting familiar with new terms and things that just sound terrifying.

My head tells me this is part of the process but god, its hard not to feel absolutely alone and desperate.
I'm a 54 year old man that works hard, takes care of and partially supports an 86 year old mom, and have a 20 year old daughter I try to help as much as I can.

My concerns aren't just about living a long healthy life, I am concerned with the financial ramifications of this situation. I have insurance through my company PPO but that's only as long as I'm employed. One of the real shocks has been the expensive cost of anti-viral drugs.

I'm going back to the place I was diagnosed for some kind of intake and meeting with a potential doctor Tues. 8/2. I'm sure many questions will be answered but it's hard even figuring out what the right questions are that
need to be asked.

Anyway, as you can tell, I'm a mess that's all over the place. I'm having a hard time and could use a link to some service that I can connect to a voice on the other end of a phone that knows what I'm experiencing. Need that soon.

Thanks for being here.
Diagnosed 7/27/11
Labs taken 8/2/11
Results 8/12/11 - CD4 428 18.6% VL - 96,939
Began Atripla 8/13/11
Labs taken 9/8/11
Results 9/13/11 - CD4 629 24.2% VL - 930 !!

Offline JJDF

Re: tested positive 7/28...
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 09:47:26 pm »
I was where you are back in February of this year.  I found out when I was hospitalized for pneumonia.  I am not a frequent poster on here but I visit almost every day - and learn something new each time.  There are some extremely helpful people on this site.  Because of the information from the lesson, but mostly from the forums and experiences of others, I made what I feel was an educated decision with my doctor on what meds to start first (Isentress and Truvada).  I read, learn and even laugh at the humorous posts.  I think there's more true experience with HIV here than at any university!

Take time to read things here and know that you've found the right place here for information and feedback.  I feel blessed to have found this site so quickly after diagnosis.

JJ.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 09:00:25 am »
Hi NPG, welcome to the forums. While it's a shame you need to be here, I'm glad you found us.

It was a very compassionate place that let me know after a finger prick rapid test that it came back positive it was then confirmed by a gum swabbing test that also came back positive. They then took blood for what reason I'm still not sure. Simple as that...

The blood they took will have been for further testing. While getting a positive on both the rapid tests is a good indication that you actually are hiv positive, they will still need to confirm those results with another, more sensitive test called a Western Blot. Until you also have a positive WB result, you have not been confirmed as hiv positive.

False positive results on an antibody test (that's what the rapid tests are) can happen for a few reasons, including an underlying autoimmune disease and pregnancy (obviously not your problem) and sometimes they just happen, although if that were the case with you (just happening), you would not have had two in a row.

They might also use the blood sample to test your CD4 count (aka T-cell, a type of white blood cell) and also your viral load (VL). To learn more about these tests, check out the Blood Test section of the Lessons. The Lessons are very informative and are written in plain, easy to understand English. You don't have to learn everything all at once, so take your time and feel free to come back into the forums to ask any questions that may arise while you read.

Hang in there. There's no reason to think you won't be able to carry on working and keeping that all-important health coverage. You will still be able to help your family. It really does get better, it just takes time to adjust and come to terms with it.

Good luck at your appointment tomorrow, and keep us posted.

Hugs,
Ann
xxx
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline New Poz Guy

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 12:16:01 pm »
Thanks Ann for the response, it's REALLY appreciated.
Working on just staying focused through my work day and then getting organized for this first intake meeting tomorrow AM.
If you could forward a link to some sort of service that provides mental/emotional support over the phone - like some sort of helpline, it would help remove this feeling of solitude.
I need to speak with someone familiar with the new feelings that I'm not prepared to share with friends or family.
Thanks again for your support and I will update after my appointment, tomorrow.
NPG
Diagnosed 7/27/11
Labs taken 8/2/11
Began Atripla 8/13/11
Labs taken 9/8/11

Offline spacebarsux

• Survival of the Fittest
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 12:20:53 pm »
Welcome to the forums NPG. :)
Infected-  2005 or early 2006; Diagnosed- Jan 28th, 2011; Feb '11- CD4 754 @34%, VL- 39K; July '11- CD4 907@26%,  VL-81K; Feb '12- CD4 713 @31%, VL- 41K, Nov '12- CD4- 827@31%

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 02:04:49 pm »
You're more than welcome NPG, that's what we're here for.

You could use POZ.com's Health Services Directory to find an AIDS Service Organisation near you that you could ring. Don't use the quick search, use the directory search so you can find places other than testing centers.

In the meantime, hang in there.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline New Poz Guy

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 07:30:49 pm »
Welcome to the forums NPG. :)
Thanks much, space, for reaching out.
Diagnosed 7/27/11
Labs taken 8/2/11
Began Atripla 8/13/11
Labs taken 9/8/11

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2011, 07:40:55 pm »
Hey NewPoz,

I can echo the statements that it DOES get better, I know your struggling with this now but each day you will get a little stronger. I promise.

WE all know how you feel. You've received some great and there is really nothing I can add, other than feel free to ask or vent or whatever you need to here.

btw, I am kinda in a similiar situation as yours. Financially I've had to start partially taking care of my mother who has lung cancer, I also have a son whom I send child support to each month. So I understand the stresses you have over fears of being unable to continue all of that, but i can tell you it all works out in the end so again, try not to stress too much  :)

-Will
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 08:03:47 pm by WillyWump »
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline New Poz Guy

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2011, 10:55:36 pm »
thanks so much, will....i'm a mess but the messages from people here go a long way to making me not feel so alone.

Diagnosed 7/27/11
Labs taken 8/2/11
Began Atripla 8/13/11
Labs taken 9/8/11

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 11:22:30 am »
Did you have any luck finding an ASO near you? And how did today's appointment go?

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline New Poz Guy

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 03:08:23 pm »
I just returned from my initial intake and Dr. appt. at the place that did my diagnosis.
She's actually the PA that works with the Dr. and she really knows her stuff. That made me feel like I was with the right person. Gave a lot of blood and I have a follow up with her on 8/12 to discuss results and plot a course of action (if any). I also got a few minutes to speak with an in-house therapist who provided me with some good numbers and websites if things start feeling desperate again.
All in all, I feel better than I did driving there and at least I've begun the process.
Thanks for the support. It really makes a difference.
NPG

Diagnosed 7/27/11
Labs taken 8/2/11
Began Atripla 8/13/11
Labs taken 9/8/11

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.