Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 07:33:55 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773197
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 491
Total: 493

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: COVID-19 Vaccine  (Read 77029 times)

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
Re: COVID-19 Vaccine
« Reply #250 on: October 10, 2021, 03:49:01 pm »

Ed ( My significant other half) is in the process of making his 3rd, appointment, for the Pfizer third dose. He is now 6 months and two weeks past his second dose. He is also HIV negative, but will also be 70  in a few days.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #251 on: October 11, 2021, 02:55:17 am »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #252 on: October 14, 2021, 08:42:28 pm »

My partner Ed, is going to get his booster of Pfizer tomorrow morning at 9:45 at Walgreens

He went on line a little while ago, downloaded the forms, so that the process can be sped up tomorrow instead of filing the firms out at Walgreens.

Ray  8)
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Bucklandbury

« Reply #253 on: October 22, 2021, 02:02:05 pm »
нет!

https://bhekisisa.org/health-news-south-africa/2021-10-20-the-verdict-is-in-and-sputnik-v-is-out/

https://www.thelancet.com/article/S0140-6736(20)32156-5/fulltext

The conclusion of this consensus conference warned that non-HIV vaccine trials that used similar vectors in areas of high HIV prevalence could lead to an increased risk of HIV-1 acquisition in the vaccinated population. The increased risk of HIV-1 acquisition appeared to be limited to men; a similar increase in risk was not seen in women in the Phambili trial.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 02:06:48 pm by Bucklandbury »

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #254 on: October 26, 2021, 12:07:22 pm »

No, COVID-19 Vaccines Will Not Give You AIDS

None of the available SARS-CoV-2 vaccines have been linked to increased risk of HIV acquisition or disease progression.

https://www.poz.com/article/covid19-vaccines-will-give-aids

FDA and CDC Recommend Moderna and J&J COVID-19 Vaccine Boosters
Many people who received any of the authorized COVID-19 vaccines are now eligible for an additional dose of their choice

https://www.poz.com/article/fda-advisors-recommend-moderna-jj-covid19-vaccine-boosters
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 12:26:36 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #255 on: October 31, 2021, 04:26:24 am »
On October 29, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) published new science reinforcing that vaccination is the best protection against COVID-19.

https://www.poz.com/article/vaccination-offers-more-protection-previous-covid19
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline dancingthroughlife

« Reply #256 on: November 15, 2021, 04:37:03 am »
dancingthroughlife -

Get vaccinated! One shot is better than nothing. It may be the difference between life and death.
Bring your proof of vaccination to where you are moving. As long as the same vaccinations are being used in both places, they shouldn't have a problem giving you the second one.
You don't want to get infected while traveling. The Delta variation is burning through populations right now.

Been quite a while, but finally got my full dose. Decided not to take the vaccine in the previous country because the admin hurdles was just crazy. I think they didn't want me to take their stockpile.

I got the AstraZeneca in my new country, sort of a lottery as they'll provide whatever they have on hand for the first dose. I only felt side effects for the first dose, and didn't feel anything for the second. Probably should have told the vaccine centre on my status (the official direction was anyone with comorbidities to take only Moderna). But it'd result in more admin hurdles while my GP told me any works fine but was tied by the ministry's direction.

Wish someone takes a step back and realise all these admin hurdles may discourage people from taking up the vaccine  >:( But to anyone reading, yea AZ works fine.

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #257 on: November 26, 2021, 06:00:32 pm »

Everyone now, is watching this new Covid variant. ( Omicron variant ) Today it caused the stock market to drop 906.00 points, and travel restrictions will be in place from 8 or 9 countries.

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/new-covid-variant-south-africa-11-26-21/index.html

"Earlier today, the Biden administration announced it will restrict travel from South Africa, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Lesotho, Eswatini, Mozambique and Malawi, starting Monday. The administration stressed it was acting on advice from Dr. Anthony Fauci and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, after the World Health Organization labeled the newly discovered strain as a "variant of concern."

Ray

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #258 on: December 09, 2021, 07:21:28 am »
A new Stanford study says that HIV may be responsible for the Omicron variant..

Stanford Researchers Looking at Possible Link Between Omicron COVID Variant and HIV
https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/coronavirus/stanford-researchers-looking-at-possible-link-between-omicron-covid-variant-and-hiv/2751193/

Just an idea.. maybe get everyone with a compromised immune system vaccinated? Better yet, everyone with an immune system on the planet?  But then how would big pharma profit? They can't just give it away, heaven forbid.. :-\

Get ready for the misinformation blame game that PLWHA are spreading the Omicron. I sure hope not.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2021, 07:42:47 am by Almost2late »

Offline Texland

« Reply #259 on: December 16, 2021, 12:30:02 pm »
PrEP for Covid approved in the US.

The FDA has approved using monoclonal antibodies as PrEP to prevent serious Covid infection in immunocompromised people. The treatment is expected to remain effective for about six months.

The product is only authorized for those individuals who are not currently infected with the SARS-CoV-2 virus and who have not recently been exposed to an individual infected with SARS-CoV-2. The authorization also requires that individuals either have:

moderate to severely compromised immune systems due to a medical condition or due to taking immunosuppressive medications or treatments and may not mount an adequate immune response to COVID-19 vaccination (examples of such medical conditions or treatments can be found in the fact sheet for health care providers) or;
    a history of severe adverse reactions to a COVID-19 vaccine and/or component(s) of those vaccines, therefore vaccination with an available COVID-19 vaccine, according to the approved or authorized schedule, is not recommended.

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/coronavirus-covid-19-update-fda-authorizes-new-long-acting-monoclonal-antibodies-pre-exposure

https://covidblog.oregon.gov/new-medication-approved-for-prevention-of-covid-19-in-certain-adults-and-children/

Offline Grasshopper

« Reply #260 on: December 18, 2021, 07:13:53 am »
Pfizer has a new pill to treat Covid : "Paxlovid" . It has to be taken within 5 days of first symptoms. The regimen is twice a day 2 pills. Pill #1 = PF-07321332, and Pill#2 = Ritonavir.

Make sure you mention and check with your ID doc and Pharmacist if the Ritonavir in Paxlovid is not contraindicated with your current meds !

https://www.hiv-druginteractions.org/checker
« Last Edit: December 18, 2021, 07:17:03 am by Grasshopper »

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #261 on: December 18, 2021, 11:06:23 pm »
Pfizer has a new pill to treat Covid : "Paxlovid" . It has to be taken within 5 days of first symptoms. The regimen is twice a day 2 pills. Pill #1 = PF-07321332, and Pill#2 = Ritonavir.

Make sure you mention and check with your ID doc and Pharmacist if the Ritonavir in Paxlovid is not contraindicated with your current meds !

https://www.hiv-druginteractions.org/checker

Just for the heck of it, I decided to check my medications for any possible issues.

What showed up as a possible problem, was Atorvastatin, and Amlodipine, as a possible issue with Ritonavir.

EDITED to add,... Hopefully I will never need those pills !

Ray

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #262 on: December 19, 2021, 07:10:36 am »
Just for the heck of it, I decided to check my medications for any possible issues.

What showed up as a possible problem, was Atorvastatin, and Amlodipine, as a possible issue with Ritonavir.

EDITED to add,... Hopefully I will never need those pills !

Ray
I took Ritonavir and Atorvastatin for about 14 yrs, without issue.  I took the Ritonavir in the morning and the atorvastatin in the evening, but still, I took them. 
I suspect that for the short term that one would take this Pfizer pill regimen, there would not be an issue.  Of course, one should check with their doctor or pharmacist and not rely on my anecdote and/or thoughts.

Back when I was taking Atripla and boosted Reyataz, plus all my other meds, anytime I used a drug interaction tool, all sorts of things came up as possible interactions - including food.  One must use those for info only and rely on/trust one's doctor to know what should or shouldn't be taken.

M

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #263 on: December 19, 2021, 11:52:31 am »
I took Ritonavir and Atorvastatin for about 14 yrs, without issue.  I took the Ritonavir in the morning and the atorvastatin in the evening, but still, I took them. 
I suspect that for the short term that one would take this Pfizer pill regimen, there would not be an issue.  Of course, one should check with their doctor or pharmacist and not rely on my anecdote and/or thoughts.

M

I I agree...Yes, without a doubt, if this situation arose for someone, always discuss it with your doctor. Like you say, it would be a short term use, Doctor could possible say in my case, to stop the Amlodipine and atorvastatin temporarily .

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #264 on: December 19, 2021, 11:53:41 am »

Back when I was taking Atripla and boosted Reyataz, plus all my other meds, anytime I used a drug interaction tool, all sorts of things came up as possible interactions - M

Oh yes, I've seen that as well.

Ray

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #265 on: January 17, 2022, 06:19:37 pm »
https://www.baynews9.com/fl/tampa/news/2022/01/17/study-israel-fourth-vaccine-covid-coronavirus-omicron

Study: 4th COVID vaccine shot shows limited results with omicron
By Associated Press and Spectrum News Staff International
PUBLISHED 4:29 PM ET Jan. 17, 2022...

An Israeli hospital on Monday said preliminary research indicates a fourth dose of the coronavirus vaccine provides only limited defense against the omicron variant that is raging around the world.

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #266 on: January 20, 2022, 01:34:53 pm »
Just got a text that I need another booster (shot 4) and it's booked for tomorrow at 9:15 am...

Was not expecting it but okay. Is anyone else getting the 4th shot? Had not heard of this.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 01:48:35 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Online leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #267 on: January 20, 2022, 01:52:36 pm »
https://www.webmd.com/vaccines/covid-19-vaccine/news/20220110/at-risk-americans-fourth-covid-shot

Jan. 10, 2022 -- Some Americans with a weakened immune system who face high risks for severe COVID-19 become eligible this week to receive a fourth dose of a coronavirus vaccine.

The CDC endorsed a third dose of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines for moderately and severely immunocompromised people on Aug. 13, which is considered part of their first immunization series rather than a booster shot.

In October, the CDC said moderately and severely immunocompromised people could receive a booster shot, or a fourth dose of the vaccine, 6 months after their third dose.

But the CDC last week shortened the timeline to 5 months for a booster shot of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines. That means immunocompromised people could begin signing up for a fourth shot later this week, The New York Times reported.

About 2.7% of U.S. adults, or about 7 million adults, are considered immunocompromised, according to the CDC. They’re more likely to contract severe COVID-19, have a higher risk for long COVID, have lower antibody levels after vaccination, and develop serious breakthrough infections. About 40% of hospitalized breakthrough cases are among immunocompromised people.

According to CDC guidance, people are considered to be “moderately or severely immunocompromised” if they have:

Active cancer treatment for tumors or cancers of the blood
Had an organ transplant and are taking medicine to suppress the immune system
Had a stem cell transplant in the last 2 years and are taking medicine to suppress the immune system
Advanced or untreated HIV infection
Moderate or severe primary immunodeficiency, such as DiGeorge syndrome or Wiskott-Aldrich syndrome
Active treatment with high-dose corticosteroids or other drugs that suppress the immune response
So far, only moderately and severely immunocompromised Americans are eligible for a fourth shot. Israel has begun offering fourth doses to high-risk groups, including older adults, but the Biden administration hasn’t yet said whether the U.S. will follow, the Times reported.

Overall, the focus remains on getting third shots to Americans who are eligible for boosters, Rochelle Walensky, MD, the CDC director, told reporters on Friday. U.S. officials will remain in touch with Israel to follow their data on fourth shots.

“We will be following our own data carefully as well, to see how these boosters are working in terms of waning effectiveness, not just for infection but, importantly, for severe disease,” she said.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #268 on: January 20, 2022, 02:12:50 pm »
Cool thanks. Had not seen that yet
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Grasshopper

« Reply #269 on: January 20, 2022, 02:46:08 pm »
I'm soooooo done with this Covid shit

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #270 on: January 20, 2022, 03:05:26 pm »
I think we all are done with it but COVID isn't done with us.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #271 on: January 20, 2022, 05:24:32 pm »

Was not expecting it but okay. Is anyone else getting the 4th shot? Had not heard of this.

Haven't heard anything yet. All I've had, so far is the 3 pfizer jabs. Will be watching the VA website to see if I will receive the 4th jab.

Ray

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #272 on: January 21, 2022, 04:55:01 am »
Got my 4th shot today.

So that's 3x Pfizer (Comirnaty) and 1x Moderna (SpikeVax)
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Grasshopper

« Reply #273 on: January 21, 2022, 01:42:23 pm »
Got my 4th shot today.

So that's 3x Pfizer (Comirnaty) and 1x Moderna (SpikeVax)

Wow....was that an early birthday gift ?     ;D

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #274 on: January 21, 2022, 02:00:05 pm »
Wow....was that an early birthday gift ?     ;D

;D LOL.

"Early birthday gift" That's what the Nurse said as well.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline gpapadop91

« Reply #275 on: January 25, 2022, 09:22:33 am »
Sure thing and this week they dropped the COVID restrictions so pubs etc are open again.
Hey Jim ...
You see how life is unpredictable.
My cousin she is vaccinated 4 months ago and pregnant , age 35.
She came at home Sunday and Monday for companionship with my wife. She called us today she is positive.

Last week I was with cold/flu , fortunately fought it quite well with negative rapid.
My 2doses vaccination expires in 2 weeks!
With 330cd4 , am I a bit protected??
I still have some cough from previous cold.
Started eating vitd3 , curcumin, kefir, whole grains, double doses fruits... Do I have big danger risks?
Can my 330 fight a big possible case of COVID?
I'm thinking positive. I will fight it with good gut health I think..
Motivate me guys..

I will win it. It's a small virus in front of the monster we have inside.
So maybe Haart is our God??
Good evening

Offline virgo313

« Reply #276 on: January 25, 2022, 09:57:20 am »
I'm thinking positive.

No, you are not thinking positive. You are thinking slightly towards negative thoughts.

Thinking positive will be not thinking of getting covid. Thinking positive is not thinking about vaccination “expire”. Why are you thinking 330 CD4 is not good? You have not got covid you are thinking of “fighting it”.

Calm down & don’t think that you will get covid. This way is positive thinking.
RVD Nov 2015. VL --> Log 5.32 HAART on 23/11/15
TDF+FTC+EFV / Chemo KS - 25/11/15 - 20/01/16.
CD4 - 4 (3/11/15) / VL - 225,000

Online leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #277 on: January 25, 2022, 11:54:44 am »
My 2doses vaccination expires in 2 weeks!
With 330cd4 , am I a bit protected??
the vaccinations seem to remain effective for 6-9 months....if not longer.

Just like in the early days of HIV, the science about covid and the vaccines is on-growing. How long these remain effective, and if future boosters will be needed (more than likely they will be; probably yearly like the regular flu shoot), need time and research to be determined.

Best wishes to your cousin. Thankfully, the vaccines have proven to reduce, if not completely limit, the negative effects of covid, and definitely are effective in keeping infected people from serious illness or death.

330 is well above 200, which is the point that opportunistic infections could happen. (personally I lived with less than 350 cd4s for a decade without even getting the flu or a cold, much less sick with anything else.)

Besides, B-cells and cd8s are the parts of the immune system that fight against covid
https://www.gavi.org/vaccineswork/covid-19-immunity-how-long-does-it-last

It's a small virus in front of the monster we have inside.
Need some encouragement/motivation?  ;) :)

actually, Covid has infected more people and killed more people per year than even the worse year of deaths. About 5.6 million worldwide have now died from Covid. That's close to 3 million a year; while just 1.7 million a year died from AIDS in 2005. That's nearly half the deaths per year from Covid. Right now, untreated AIDS kills about 700k a year which is how many people died in America alone in the first year of Covid.

Sounds like HIV, when treated, isn't the monster you think it is.  :D Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that untreated HIV is not a monster as it very much is a terminal illness; but treated HIV has become just another manageable health issue that people keep in check with daily meds.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/niallmccarthy/2019/07/17/global-hivaids-deaths-are-falling-but-experts-say-more-needs-to-be-done-infographic/
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Expat1

« Reply #278 on: January 26, 2022, 12:06:29 pm »
I received my  4th dose.  So 3 Moderna followed by 1 Pfizer.   The Pfizer had fewer side effects.  Just a little site soreness.  The Moderna included headaches and I needed a nap for fatigue after each injection.

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #279 on: January 26, 2022, 08:22:32 pm »

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline gpapadop91

« Reply #280 on: January 27, 2022, 06:54:45 am »
Hello there. Hi guys ... Hope you are fine...
Today my cousin's husband has COVID and fever too , even though both double vaccinated 3 months ago.

My doctor from hospital called me and told me to be careful to call him when something happens , if I have symptoms, because normally it's not effective (double vaccination) after six months...

So I have to wait after a week contact with her to be vaccinated with the third dose .

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #281 on: January 27, 2022, 07:04:50 am »
Yeah, Covid infections will happen to people. Hope they are feeling okay and at least the vaccine reduced their hospilization risk.

The waiting is to be expected if you were a close contact.

I'll move these posts to the vaccine thread when I get home.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 07:40:25 am by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #282 on: February 03, 2022, 04:04:47 am »
CDC Tells Pharmacies to Give Fourth COVID Shots to Immunocompromised People

People with moderate to severe immune suppression are eligible for a fourth COVID vaccine dose.

https://www.poz.com/article/cdc-tells-pharmacies-give-fourth-covid-shots-immunocompromised-patients
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Bucklandbury

« Reply #283 on: February 03, 2022, 12:54:28 pm »
I got my fourth Pfizer today.

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #284 on: February 03, 2022, 04:06:13 pm »
I got my fourth Pfizer today.

Still only the 3 Pfizer, in both Ed and myself. Ed is not immune compromised. He is HIV negative

Ray

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Bucklandbury

« Reply #285 on: February 05, 2022, 12:05:58 pm »
Definitely had the localized sore arm with this shot - like I experienced with shot #1. Hopefully this fourth dose will get me where I need to be since I had AIDS with shots #1 and #2. Still don't want COVID-19 regardless!

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #286 on: February 06, 2022, 11:44:06 am »

Hopefully this fourth dose will get me where I need to be since I had AIDS with shots #1 and #2. Still don't want COVID-19 regardless!

Yes,.. I completely understand.  We are both, still being very cautious, when out and about.  I have a VA appointment scheduled for Wednesday Morning, to remove some more basal cell from my neck.

If I am up to it, I will stop down at the Covid inoculation room in the main hospital, talk to the receptionist there, and see if I can get it, or if I need my Primary care authorization.

Hope things are going well for you 1

Ray

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #287 on: March 31, 2022, 12:41:13 pm »
https://www.poz.com/article/fda-approves-second-covid-booster-people-50-older

On March 29, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) authorized a second Pfizer-BioNTech  or Moderna COVID-19 vaccine booster for people ages 50 and older, to be administered at least four months after their last shot. Immunocompromised individuals ages 12 and older may also receive an additional shot. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has updated its vaccine recommendations, consistent with the authorization.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #288 on: March 31, 2022, 04:39:22 pm »

I will be getting the second booster ( 4 shots in all) in another week. I could have received it 2 weeks ago, when I had my eye appointment, But the timing was too close.

Ray

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #289 on: April 11, 2022, 03:56:33 pm »

I received my 2nd covid booster today. it took me longer to find a place to park the car, then it took to get the shot.  No 15 minute wait afterwords.

I was asked if I wanted the Moderna, or If I wanted to stay with Pfizer, I stayed with the Pfizer. She then showed me the marked syringe, to verify.

All went well !

Ray

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #290 on: April 21, 2022, 04:59:00 pm »

CoronaVac shows weaker response in people with HIV
https://www.aidsmap.com/news/apr-2022/coronavac-shows-weaker-response-people-hiv

The Chinese CoronaVac vaccine against SARS-CoV-2 produces strong antibody responses in the majority of people with HIV but these responses are weaker than those in people without HIV, Brazilian researchers report in the journal Lancet HIV. People with CD4 counts below 500 were less likely to show neutralising responses to the virus than people with higher CD4 counts.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #291 on: May 29, 2022, 02:50:10 am »
So got a text message a few days ago about getting my 5th COVID vaccine dose, and I'm going ahead with it this morning. It's great that they offer the service on a Sunday here.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #292 on: June 01, 2022, 05:25:18 pm »
So got a text message a few days ago about getting my 5th COVID vaccine dose, and I'm going ahead with it this morning. It's great that they offer the service on a Sunday here.

Dose no. 5 went fine. A sore arm and one night of night sweats, that's it.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Grasshopper

« Reply #293 on: June 02, 2022, 04:46:55 pm »
 :o A 5th shot ?  So far I've had 2 regular and 2 boosters plus recently 2 pneumococcal vaccine and 1 shingle vaccine, with the next shingle vaccine next month. Think that I've gotten my share of shots for the time being = the Fall for the seasonal Flu vaccine.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #294 on: June 20, 2022, 12:11:14 pm »
:o A 5th shot ?  So far I've had 2 regular and 2 boosters plus recently 2 pneumococcal vaccine and 1 shingle vaccine, with the next shingle vaccine next month. Think that I've gotten my share of shots for the time being = the Fall for the seasonal Flu vaccine.

Yeah, 5th covid shot and ill get the flu vaccine when it's in. I had a booster pneumococcal shot last year.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #295 on: June 20, 2022, 12:11:34 pm »
Are People With HIV at Greater Risk for COVID-19 Breakthrough?

The  good news is that only 4% of HIV-positive people experienced COVID breakthrough after vaccination.

https://www.poz.com/article/people-hiv-greater-risk-covid19-breakthrough
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #296 on: July 25, 2022, 03:36:00 am »
FDA and CDC Give Green Light to Novavax COVID-19 Vaccine
https://www.poz.com/article/fda-cdc-give-green-light-novavax-covid19-vaccine

On June 13, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) granted emergency use authorization for the Novavax COVID-19 vaccine. A week later, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommended that it be included as a fourth vaccine in the COVID prevention armamentarium.

The Novavax vaccine was authorized as an initial vaccine series for individuals ages 18 or older. It is given as two shots spaced three weeks apart. It has not yet been authorized for use as a booster for people who have already received other COVID vaccines.

The authorization is supported by the results of the PREVENT-19 trial, which initially enrolled nearly 30,000 adults in the United States and Mexico; it was later expanded to include adolescents ages 12 to 17. Participants were randomly assigned in a 2:1 ratio to receive two doses of the Novavax vaccine, spaced three weeks apart, or placebo injections.

In adults, the vaccine was 90% effective at preventing symptomatic COVID: 17 vaccine recipients came down with COVID versus 79 in the placebo group. No one who received the vaccine developed moderate or severe disease, was hospitalized or died from COVID-19. Vaccine effectiveness remained high, at 79%, among people over 65, who typically have weaker immune responses.

Importantly, however, the vaccine was tested when the SARS-CoV-2 alpha variant was the main circulating strain.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Online leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #297 on: July 25, 2022, 06:57:01 pm »
The  good news is that only 4% of HIV-positive people experienced COVID breakthrough after vaccination.
woohoo! You know those are my kind of odds! :D
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #298 on: August 24, 2022, 03:05:39 am »
https://www.poz.com/article/fda-cdc-give-green-light-novavax-covid19-vaccine

FDA and CDC Give Green Light to Novavax COVID-19 Vaccine
The engineered protein vaccine was highly effective in a clinical trial but faced a long delay for authorization.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #299 on: September 07, 2022, 12:17:36 pm »
https://www.poz.com/article/new-covid19-boosters-target-current-coronavirus-variants

New COVID-19 Boosters Target Current Coronavirus Variants
Updated Pfizer/BioNTech and Moderna bivalent boosters contain spike proteins from the original and BA.4/BA.5 omicron variants.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.