Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:36:30 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773300
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 680
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 621
Total: 622

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: I've Done It This Time  (Read 63035 times)

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
I've Done It This Time
« on: November 06, 2014, 05:48:27 pm »
Hello fellow sufferers lol,
So, last night I was simply carrying a couple plates out to the kitchen when all of a sudden there was a loud *SNAP* coming from my right leg.  My friend, who was standing across the room also heard it.  So, I couldn't move my leg at all.  My friend brought me a chair to sit on.

We had to call an ambulance in Indiana due to being in Michigan-the ambulance in Michigan won't transport to Indiana, which is where my insurance is. We waited over two hours so that was frustrating.  My bone was almost through my leg so it was so painful I was nauseous and couldn't take anything for pain.

Anyway, not only do I have two breaks in my leg but now in the same leg , in the tibia, I have a lateral break that goes clear through the bone, from one edge to the other. 

So I am now getting ready to eat.  I have enough Percocet to last through the weekend, then on Monday I have to get the temporary cast off and get the plaster cast on.  That's what's going on with me.  Fun and games lol.  Wil keep everyone updated.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline mitch777

Re: I've Done It This Time
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 06:09:20 pm »
Betty, I won't call you now as you have been through enough. The magic words you can say to my ears is that you will STAY OFF OF YOUR FEET!!!

(for a VERY long time!!!)

I wouldn't be such a mama b*tch if I didn't care.

Love you and hope your pain is tolerable with the meds. :(

m.
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 06:51:25 pm »
Thanks for the update betty .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 04:19:55 am »
Jeez Betty,I am lost for words , I have read the post twice to make sure I understand that the break occurred with the minimum off pressure to the bone , plus you are now back home? Awaiting the permanent cast which can be applied without an operation to set the leg?
Have I got it right?

What a situation , If you wish I will send you details that the  Rheumatology Prof comes up with , I am assuming that your care will now include an on- going plan to keep your bones as strong as possible .

it,s taken me a long time to accept the restrictions I have to reduce my blackouts and it is sobering to me that the tumble down the stairs occurred after I I did not follow my usual guidelines for getting out and up from the bed in the middle of the night, and we all know how far and hard you push your self.

For so long we survived by grit and determination and it's been one heck off a sea change to accept and introduce all this slow ness , planned rest , blah blah but for me when I don,t it is a tumble down the stairs. I really hope both of us can adjust our survival strengths .

So much love dear heart , are you at your own home now ? With all all the bits and pieces you need so you are not attempting the stairs ? does your insurance include help with home care ?
Enough for now and yes I love the idea off us sharing and caring in a Large house ,how I get away with living in the US and still get my UK money should be fun.
Hugs
M

"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline Theyer

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2014, 04:21:30 am »
Well I was lost for words .
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline wolfter

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2014, 07:36:20 am »
Oh dearest Betty.... I just feel for your struggles.  I think we all correctly worried about this happening. 

Take care and let us know if you need anything.

huge hugs
greg
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2014, 10:49:10 am »
Dang Betty - man, oh man...

I can't even believe that you went through and are going through that ----

All I can say is that you will be in my thoughts and please, please rest and keep us updated on your progress....

Man.... wow... Just really keeping you in thoughts.
September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2014, 10:22:07 am »
Hi all, thanks for the well wishes.  I'm definitely learning my limits with this cast.  My housemate has graciously given up the couch since I cannot get down the stairs to the lower level where the bedrooms are. 

Monday should be interesting when I see my ortho.  I'm going to tell him next time I have any type of fracture to please cast it instead of just giving the fracture boot. 

Nothing exciting going on. As soon as this heals I'm going to get on my doctors office to schedule that scan on my parathyroid so I can start the meds to build my bones up so these fractures will stop happening.   

Again, thanks for the good wishes.  It really does mean a lot and I love you guys.  Oh, pain is getting better.  Yesterday I only took two pain pills all day.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2014, 10:31:57 am »
Geez, Betty, you really have done it this time haven't you?  I hope your recovery is speedy -- and that once you've recovered, you stop pushing yourself so hard!

Hugs,

Henry
"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2014, 10:35:37 am »
Hugs for Betty ... she really has gone and done it, fo sho .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2014, 12:55:58 pm »
Hi Betty,
Sorry your leg has gone to a worse level,
at least it will finally heal properly after the plaster cast is on.
You will probably be non weight bearing ?
If so ,listen to your ortho dr , and stay off your feet.

I have a friend who broke her ankle and tibia skiing last year ,
she had a scooter of sorts that she kneeled on to get around,
with crutches and her scooter she was able to function some what, ask your Dr about one.

She was non weight bearing for two months ,and really helped her while in the house , also was not allowed to drive as it was her right leg.

Put some Velcro and a seatbelt on your couch , get your bones strong,
and then you can get your knees done ! Those are easy , you can get up and use them the next day !!

Wish You Well And A Big Hug ,Wade

HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 HIV Testing
 HIV TasP
 HIV prevention
 PEP and PrEP

Offline konkrypton

• Everything works...in theory.
    • Pan/Satyr Lover
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2014, 02:43:44 am »
That sounds awful! I found out how weak our bones can get myself when I fell in a parking lot and blew out a disk in my back and then had to get both hips replaced shortly afterward. They put me on the generic of that stuff that Sally Field hawks for bones (Bonita?) for a couple of years and made me eat calcium supplements, which I still do take supplements. Just make sure you get enough calcium, if you can. It sure helped me.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!
KK
--
I distrust morning people. I suspect they setup the rules of life while the rest of us slept.

Offline Theyer

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2014, 03:12:26 am »
Hi all, thanks for the well wishes.  I'm definitely learning my limits with this cast.  My housemate has graciously given up the couch since I cannot get down the stairs to the lower level where the bedrooms are. 

Monday should be interesting when I see my ortho.  I'm going to tell him next time I have any type of fracture to please cast it instead

Nothing exciting going on. As soon as this heals I'm going to get on my doctors office to schedule that scan on my parathyroid so I can start the meds to build my bones up so these fractures will stop happening.   

Again, thanks for the good wishes.  It really does mean a lot and I love you guys.  Oh, pain is getting better.  Yesterday I only took two pain pills all day.
[/quote
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tis a relief you are on the couch , am I right in reading that with the first fracture you had a boot but NO CAST
Am going to internetty this parathyroid you speak off darling, So think off me at the Dental Hos and I,ll be think inking off you at the fracture clinic

Lots of LOVE
M
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 03:16:30 am by Theyer »

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2014, 05:28:58 pm »
Okay, went to the dr.  He ordered no weight bearing for at least another 3 weeks.  I have a purple plaster cast.  I will be so happy to be out of this I can't even begin to say.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2014, 05:33:10 pm »
Okay, went to the dr.  He ordered no weight bearing for at least another 3 weeks.  I have a purple plaster cast.  I will be so happy to be out of this I can't even begin to say.

You better do as he says ... we all are getting a bit too old to throw caution to the wind ... so stay put and get well once and for all .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2014, 06:29:48 pm »
You better do as he says ... we all are getting a bit too old to throw caution to the wind ... so stay put and get well once and for all .

Or else what? Lol

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2014, 06:40:55 pm »
Or else what? Lol

We will blacklist you as an unruly LTS who is inattentive to their own health needs, ya dont want to get on the blacklist .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline mitch777

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2014, 07:02:15 pm »

3 weeks? I don't think your doc knows you well. He should have said at the bear minimum 12 weeks in hopes that you sit still for the 3. lol.

Seriously, get you rest dear. I might add a spanking comes along with the blacklist I think.

Offline Theyer

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2014, 03:51:57 am »
Betty,
Many times you have asked me to take care , to follow the advice given about managing plunging blood pressure, to keep battering away so I get the neurology appointment. And your words have a power because we share similar problems.

Further risks to your leg now would be mental ,truly risking permanent life long life changing disability off the
" I think this wheel chair is the Best for me "
Kind.
I ,if truly honest,have to admit to having a part off me already wondering if that is the future, my Bones should not have this damage, other folk are having similar problems and we do not know how this will
Pan out.
We are the crash test dummies darling, the ones "HIV has no effect at all on my life"secretly read when they have an attack off sanity.

So for fuck sake take care .
Love
Michael

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2014, 06:51:08 am »
Thanks guys for your concern.  I will most likely follow the dr's advice about staying off of it because frankly, I do not want any more pain in my extremities and am already sick of this cast.  The worst factor is not being able to drive myself around.  I hate being dependent on others to get things I need from the store, plus with the bedrooms in this house being on the lower level, my poor housemate has to run clothes up and down the stairs.

I don't like to keep asking people for favors, I don't want to burn people out.    Well anyway I need to smoke lol.  Thanks again guys for your encouraging words.  I love you guys!

Betty

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2014, 08:47:01 am »
Reduced to an invalid... how tragic. I will pray for you with select Biblical passages!
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2014, 08:57:39 am »
I bet they can both swing a mean cane when provoked LOL . When I was a bartender we had a ancient old foul tempered customer who would come up to the steps and lay into the huge plate glass window with his cane screaming god damn it someone come get me up these steps, we always feared that a 20ft plate glass window was going to come down on his head.

Betty ... you have to follow your doctors orders and heal correctly or you may end up in a chair with a nasty disposition and a getting stick to fetch what is near . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2014, 09:00:13 am »
Bettina, can't you shimmy up and down the stairs on your behind? That's what I had to do when I had my foot surgeries. Lifting oneself up backwards for four flights of stairs is quite great for your triceps.

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2014, 11:50:14 am »
Yikes Girlfriend!

You really did it right this time, didn't you.

This does remind me, though. When my right femur was fractured and I was in a delightful cast, they made me learn to use crutches to walk up and down stairs.

I had a fabulous PT guy (who was also very cute) who forced me up and down two flights several times a day until I was pretty good at it.

How about talking your doc into setting something like that up? Who knows, if the guy was really cute, perhaps you might convince him to carry you up and down, the stairs I mean.

Please take good care of yourself. I hope your bones mend soon.

HUGS

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2014, 01:08:41 pm »
           NO STAIRS  !!!!
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 HIV Testing
 HIV TasP
 HIV prevention
 PEP and PrEP

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2014, 08:59:41 am »
Okay I had a whole goddamn response typed out and lost it.  Fuck. So this wil be as brief as I can make it.

About the stairs...crutches...can't do.  I have horrible balance issues.  My left foot does not sit flat so even when I have a shoe on I'm still wobbly.  I even asked mmy doctor about it b(the ortho) and he wouldn't agree to it.  The walker is giving me phenomenal upper body strength however.

About scooting on my ass...the stairway makes a turn 1/2 way down with a wide area of floor.  Because of the multiple breaks and where they are located (remember, I have breaks in both bones in the lower leg, plus my ankle), I can't pull myself up from that low down. I can't put any weight at all on my right side.  Also, imagine a 5 lb cast on your right leg, going from toes to thigh, and it holds your leg in one position.  You cannot bend the leg or straighten it.  Going down stairs is not doable.

It's like the whole lower leg is broken.  I tried, hanging onto the walker, to put a tiny amount of weight on that leg, and I could feel myself start to go down.  The whole leg is out of commission. 

And now for better news.  I am now able to take a shower (independently), and I make my own meals.  Plus I do clean up in the kitchen. The hardest thing is not being able to drive myself around.  My housemate is being an angel about getting me things from the store though and I owe her a huge debt.

I'm also very fortunate that I have the walker and shower chair.  Life would be more difficult without them.  My dr did write a script for a wheelchair but that takes Medicaid (Medicare pays nothing for it)  2-3 weeks to decide whether it's necessary.  But I would not use a wheelchair in the house because I believe it's important to keep moving. 

So that's it for now. I'm going to make eggs and fruit and take a shower.  More later.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 11:47:06 am by BT65 »

Offline initforlife

« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2014, 09:07:47 am »
Betty get well soon! glad you can do some things on your own again. and glad you at least have some help! Hugs!
sometimes it is best to say nothing at all. then to offend

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2014, 09:23:15 am »
Betty get well soon! glad you can do some things on your own again. and glad you at least have some help! Hugs!

Danger Danger ... you have entered an area you are not authorized to post in . Only LTS can post in this section . Ye be warned .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2014, 11:48:17 am »

Sorry about the wrong forum.  Thanks for the well wishes though!

Offline Theyer

« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2014, 02:57:25 pm »
Darling One,

Likewise with the crutches PN has given me an alternative balance situation , trying to use the crutches while in Hos terrified all who witness it. I  did a very good imitation off a toddler each step threatening  a fall.

Glad you have the walker  , the time will pass , I am at the Docs tomorrow fingers crossed . Love m

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2014, 09:53:01 pm »
Thanks Michael.  My dr told me awhile back that my balance issues were related to the PN.  Anyway, I hope you get a good report at the dr's.  Please let me know.  Luv you.

Offline guitargal

« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2014, 02:22:55 am »
oh my!
sending you healing thoughts. Eat lots of foods with calcium.. take my advice, I'm not using it..

My sister in law had a cast like that, all the way to her mid thigh. I went and stayed with them for a bit to help out. She was a go go go type and it drove her nuts staying off of it for the first few weeks...but do it now and you will be better for it.

What a long strange trip it's been

Offline wolfter

« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2014, 04:35:41 am »
  The worst factor is not being able to drive myself around. 
Betty

Haven't you figured out how to drive with powdery bones yet?  One of my trucks is an automatic and I use it during "injury" periods.  I mastered using my left leg for everything while having my right one twisted at a weird angel to rest over the console.  I absolutely know what you mean about being reliant on others.....UGH, I hate those periods.

Take care of yourself and LISTEN to your doctors.
hugs

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2014, 07:42:46 am »
Thanks Guitar and Greg.  Greg, don't put ideas into my head lol.  I would have to go down pretty steep steps to get to my car, so until I can put weight on my right leg, I can't even get to my car door.  And I doubt anyone would help me. Plus, I have a Saturn, so it's a small car that sits pretty low to the ground.  I'm hoping it will be sooner rather than later that I will be able to get behind the wheel again.  I was telling my housemate that when I get my walking cast I should be able to drive, and she looked at me like I was kidding.  She said "Betty, you can't drive with a cast on.  If you had to stop fast, you'd re-break your leg."

The plaster cast has made it much easier to get around.  There is a thicker bottom on this, enabling balancing to be easier.  So that's a plus.

Between the time I broke my hip and this time, so many people have done so much.   I'm fortunate to be here instead of in an apartment alone, because I would really be screwed.

The only "difficult " issue around here is that my housemate has been extremely moody, which makes it uncomfortable.  And she can really go off; I've heard her scream at her son, who also lives here.  He's 26, but has some serious disabilities.  He has Tourette's, had early onset bipolar, and just slight intellectual disability.  He's very intuitive though.  But, my friend has made him dependent on her financial and emotional wise.  Anyway, that could be another thread lol.

I do appreciate the continued good wishes, understanding and relating.  More later....

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2014, 08:40:57 am »
Haven't you figured out how to drive with powdery bones yet?  One of my trucks is an automatic and I use it during "injury" periods.  I mastered using my left leg for everything while having my right one twisted at a weird angel to rest over the console.  I absolutely know what you mean about being reliant on others.....UGH, I hate those periods.

Take care of yourself and LISTEN to your doctors.
hugs

You are a bad man Mister Wolfe ... we are going to have to nail Betty down if she doesn't stay put and here you are putting ideas in her head ... bad man bad man .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2014, 01:19:39 pm »
You are a bad man Mister Wolfe ... we are going to have to nail Betty down if she doesn't stay put and here you are putting ideas in her head ... bad man bad man .

Trust me, driving in my little Saturn in this situation (remember I'm 5'8") is something I know I cannot do lol.  Not that talented.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2014, 01:31:36 pm »

I was truly trying to be helpful.   ;D 
Trust me, driving in my little Saturn in this situation (remember I'm 5'8") is something I know I cannot do lol.  Not that talented.

Not to put more ideas in your head, but in my truck, I entered through the passenger door and slid over the console leaving the bad leg there.  :)  It's tough when you don't live in an area that has public transportation.  But I digress, STAY PUT Betty.  ;) 

Offline Theyer

« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2014, 05:58:45 am »
I was truly trying to be helpful.   ;D 
Not to put more ideas in your head, but in my truck, I entered through the passenger door and slid over the console leaving the bad leg there.  :)  It's tough when you don't live in an area that has public transportation.  But I digress, STAY PUT Betty.  ;)

I guess that along with no public transport you have no traffic Police either.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2014, 06:27:57 am »
Hey Betty, I just read that South Bend got 12" of snow last night. What did you get?

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2014, 08:54:51 am »
Hey Betty, I just read that South Bend got 12" of snow last night. What did you get?

I live only 5 minutes north of South Bend, so we got the same. According to my housemate, when she was coming home last night the roads were dreadful with several slide/offs and collisions. 

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2014, 10:04:00 am »
I live only 5 minutes north of South Bend, so we got the same. According to my housemate, when she was coming home last night the roads were dreadful with several slide/offs and collisions. 

God I would love 12 inches .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2014, 11:08:09 am »
God I would love 12 inches .

Honey if I could, I would mail it today.

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2014, 08:46:42 pm »
don't think you can mail those 12 inches..........
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 HIV Testing
 HIV TasP
 HIV prevention
 PEP and PrEP

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2014, 09:57:27 pm »
 So I went to the doctor yesterday.  I actually got down the steps into the garage from the inside of the house without anyone's help.  I saw the nurse practitioner who is very thorough and very intelligent .  I showed her the blisters on my foot. She said that the issue with cutting the cast back is that there will be more blisters.  So the X-ray tech put this mole hair tape around the edges that I had cut off (don't know if I mentioned that here), and the NP put large bandages on and sent me home with some.

The X-ray showed callouses forming on the bone which means it's starting to heal.  I asked about the walking cast and was told it would be as high up as this cast (toe to thigh), due to how high up the fracture is.  I was also told to stay off my feet more. I don't know why they keep telling me that. I've told them several times that I don't have servants lol.

So I go back in two weeks at which time I will see the ortho.  That's what's going on. I'm going to go smoke. Lol.

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2014, 10:10:56 pm »
Are you mastering the crutches without putting
weight on your leg ?

HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 HIV Testing
 HIV TasP
 HIV prevention
 PEP and PrEP

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2014, 10:43:19 pm »
The X-ray tech and doctor said no crutches, only tthe walker, for two reasons: 1) because I do not have good balance at all and 2) they said this time of year, crutches are horrible to use because they slide out easily from under a person due to the snow and ice.  Then people fall and break something else, which is something I don't want to do.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2014, 10:48:29 pm »
The X-ray tech and doctor said no crutches, only tthe walker, for two reasons: 1) because I do not have good balance at all and 2) they said this time of year, crutches are horrible to use because they slide out easily from under a person due to the snow and ice.  Then people fall and break something else, which is something I don't want to do.

Im going to bribe your housemate to nail that cast to the floor so you can stay off it and only go in circles .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline wolfter

« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2014, 09:03:15 am »
How can you possibly use a walker without putting weight on both feet?  I couldn't master it but perhaps you have.

Hope your saga ends soon and your bones finally heal.  Stay put and heal damn it.  :)

take care and hugs

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2014, 01:38:36 pm »
She needs one of these I think

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2014, 01:43:10 pm »
I told her the other day she was gonna end up like that woman on American Horror with no legs or lower body and walking around on her hands .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2014, 02:28:59 pm »
She needs to netflix this: http://youtu.be/IkKdzYw0eGs

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2014, 07:54:41 pm »
Ah, a bunch of comedians lol.  I actually do put some weight on the leg, but got clearance from the nurse practitioner to do that.  I'm being very careful not to stress the leg.  The worst physical issue has really been the blisters.  Around where the bunion, it's red and inflamed and several (of the blisters) have ruptured.  So I put antibiotic ointment and band aids on after my shower, then take them off prior to the shower.

Other than that, the biggest bitch is not being able to drive.  If my insurance approves my wheelchair, there are a couple public buses I believe drive people in wheelchairs to various locations.  I'm going to call the medical supply store tomorrow to see if they have heard anything about it.

I continue to be grateful for everyone's support. It's invaluable. Love to everyone.

Offline Theyer

« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2014, 05:25:39 am »
How can you possibly use a walker without putting weight on both feet?  I couldn't master it but perhaps you have.

Hope your saga ends soon and your bones finally heal.  Stay put and heal damn it.  :)

Hopping , those taunts from the big boys coz I liked skipping games ----- Ha bet you all got divorces now and yer kids hate yer.

take care and hugs
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 05:27:54 am by Theyer »

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2014, 09:07:38 pm »
Ok, first some good news.  The outside kitty returned. I was told today I needed to let everyone know.

Second, I was out on my porch smoking this morning when a UPS truck pulled up.  The box was addressed to me.  I was thinking "holy crap, am I ordering stuff in my sleep?"  No, I wasn't thank heavens.  It was a lovely box from our very own Mitch. Full of lovely gifts.  Then I had the pleasure of talking to him.  Seriously, that made my day. 

Now for some not so good news.  I was having severe pain under my cast so I cut it back again.  I now have a black crater type sore on the top of my foot.  I finally, this evening, got a call from the nurse practitioner at the bone doctors office, and she's calling in some Keflex.  So I am hoping my housemate will get it for me on her way home from work tomorrow.  In the meantime I am putting antibiotic ointment on it.  No, I do not have transport to go to the doctor. 

It isn't looking good right now, which is concerning due to the diabetes.  I pauses I am asking for good energy, thoughts, prayers, vibes.  I don't want to lose my foot, I.really don't.

This has been an awful year starting with my hip fracture.  It just gets worse.  Ok, I am done whining.  But, since I don't have anything good to say I am going to get off.  Thanks for letting me vent.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2014, 09:10:56 pm »
Betty … the last thing you need right now is this fear and extra burden so my heart and my prayers goes out to you . I love you, never forget that .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline aztecan

« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2014, 10:05:56 pm »
Betty, prayers and healing energy heading your way.

HUGS,

Mark

Offline Buckmark

• Henry's Home Page
« Reply #56 on: November 24, 2014, 10:27:12 pm »
Betty Betty Betty… this additional complication is indeed the last thing you needed.  I wish I were there to take you to the doctor.  I hope the Keflex does the trick.  You need to get that wheelchair so you can access public transportation.  Have you checked out your transit agency's paratransit service?

Wishing you better days ahead...

Henry
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: November 24, 2014, 10:40:57 pm »
Thanks guys.  I just wanted to answer Henry, my doctors are over the stateline in Indiana and I live about 20 minutes over the stateline in Michigan.  Anyway, I called about the wheelchair last week and was told that it was submitted to the insurance company on the 17th; I thought it had gone in earlier.  So I was told it would take 2-3 weeks.  Thanks for your concern Henry, I know you certainly understand medical situations.

Mark, thanks for your positive thoughts.

Jeff, I love you too. I'll be in touch.

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: November 25, 2014, 09:25:36 am »
Hi Betty,
Do you have VNA or any thing close in your area,
sounds like your foot needs tending to.
Hope you get the care you need.
All my best, and good energy sent your way,
Wade
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 HIV Testing
 HIV TasP
 HIV prevention
 PEP and PrEP

Offline wolfter

« Reply #59 on: November 25, 2014, 12:41:44 pm »
Betty, wish I would have seen this sooner.  You should consider contacting different veterans organizations.  Most VFW's and AmVets stock pile equipment that is donated and regularly loan them out within the community.

You don't have to be a member and usually someone will even deliver them.  I've delivered quite a few beds and wheelchairs over the years because of insurance hassles.  I'm an officer at our local post and can assist with contacting the closest post to your location.

wishing you well darlin and am continuing to send lots of positive energy.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #60 on: November 25, 2014, 09:04:22 pm »
Betty, wish I would have seen this sooner.  You should consider contacting different veterans organizations.  Most VFW's and AmVets stock pile equipment that is donated and regularly loan them out within the community.

You don't have to be a member and usually someone will even deliver them.  I've delivered quite a few beds and wheelchairs over the years because of insurance hassles.  I'm an officer at our local post and can assist with contacting the closest post to your location.

wishing you well darlin and am continuing to send lots of positive energy.

Thanks Greg, I'll have to check that out soon.  Today I made a cat house with a cardboard box.  I was able to get up and down the garage steps without any problem.  So happy about that.

I'm Continuing the Epsom salt soaks 3 times a day, antibiotic ointment, and will start Keflex tomorrow.  I also got a call from the nurse practitioner and tomorrow am going to be fitted for a brace.  She said it will hold the leg in place just as well as the cast but I can take it off and it won't rub my foot.  Of course the first thing I wonder is "can I drive?" Lol.  No, I didn't ask that.

Wade, thanks for the well wishes, it's appreciated.

The ulcer looks like raw meat, red and white.  Still indented into my foot.  Hopefully things will improve.  I hate this, I really do.  But, so far I've been able to keep going, so I am blessed.  My housemate is such an angel getting me everything from the store I need.  One of my bosses is taking me tomorrow to get fitted for my brace.

I don't ever forget how fortunate I am with the support I have.  I am extremely grateful and owe people big time.  And special thanks to you all here.  You guy's support means more than you know.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #61 on: November 26, 2014, 04:01:35 pm »
Betty,

I've been so busy this week with doc appointments and getting ready for Thanksgiving so have been slow in catching up here.

I hope the Keflex does the trick. Please continue to be good to yourself.

And btw... you made my day too talking the other day!

Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Love you sweetie.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #62 on: November 26, 2014, 05:33:28 pm »
So I now have a brace.  I didn't know I would be getting it today.  My bone is much weaker than I thought it was.  I guess the cast really did provide good support.  So, I cannot put as much weight on it as I did with the cast.  When I walk it hurts like it did when my leg snapped.

There are two parts to this, the part that wraps all around my leg, and the part that goes around the back, which also has a "foot" part to it.  Now, when I walk, I cannot wear the part that goes around the back part of the leg because it is way too tight and hurts like hell.  So, I don't know if the doctor will want me to continue wearing this.  The guy who made this said there is a custom one he can make but it involves me getting measured, and it would take awhile to make.  We may have to end up doing it anyway.

However, the big plus is that it doesn't rub my foot!  So I am hoping the foot will start healing. I do feel like I may have broken a rib but I am not saying anything for fear they would put me in a body cast lol. 

I wanted to update everyone since I have the brace.  M, it was good talking to you as well.  We should do it again soon.  Oh, and happy Thanksgiving everyone! 

Offline mitch777

« Reply #63 on: November 26, 2014, 07:09:10 pm »
Sorry your new brace is giving you pain Betty but on the other hand it probably gives you a better idea of how careful you need to be to mend. I can imagine how frustrating this whole ordeal has been. Hip, leg, ankle, leg. Brake, brake, brake, brake. I still can't remember the order. :-[

And yes, we should talk again soon if only to discuss our current woes of the day.

Can't wait for good news about your foot. Man, I sound like an old lady! lol.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #64 on: November 26, 2014, 08:34:25 pm »
Now I understand why I am in so much pain.  This brace does not cover the break.  The break is up higher than where the brace ends.  I can't walk more than from the couch to the bathroom.  So, tomorrow I will be staying home.  By myself.  So I just wanted to update. I'm n going to stay on here because I keep crying and I'm tired of crying.  Thanks for letting me vent.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #65 on: November 26, 2014, 08:48:13 pm »
OH No …. Betty … you are so due for some good luck . I wish I was there or at least near to see after you . I will call on the way home tomorrow if you are up to it . Love ya .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline mitch777

« Reply #66 on: November 26, 2014, 09:03:22 pm »
Ugh!!! Didn't they know that? Maybe if you call an ambulance to get yourself to the ER they will do better than your current doctors. Not a fun holiday, not a fun day.

If i can be of any help please call. Hate to know you are crying in pain.

Offline GoForIt

« Reply #67 on: November 26, 2014, 09:47:46 pm »
So I now have a brace.  I didn't know I would be getting it today.  My bone is much weaker than I thought it was.  I guess the cast really did provide good support.  So, I cannot put as much weight on it as I did with the cast.  When I walk it hurts like it did when my leg snapped.

There are two parts to this, the part that wraps all around my leg, and the part that goes around the back, which also has a "foot" part to it.  Now, when I walk, I cannot wear the part that goes around the back part of the leg because it is way too tight and hurts like hell.  So, I don't know if the doctor will want me to continue wearing this.  The guy who made this said there is a custom one he can make but it involves me getting measured, and it would take awhile to make.  We may have to end up doing it anyway.

However, the big plus is that it doesn't rub my foot!  So I am hoping the foot will start healing. I do feel like I may have broken a rib but I am not saying anything for fear they would put me in a body cast lol. 

I wanted to update everyone since I have the brace.  M, it was good talking to you as well.  We should do it again soon.  Oh, and happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Happy Thanksgiving.  Hope you get better and get some pain meds or something ;(

Sounds like you could really use them.
08/09/2013  Diagnosed WB positive
08/20/2013  CD4-506(28%)  VL-10,800
09/12/2013  CD4-391(28%)  VL-14,900
09/17/2013  Start ART (Truvada + Tivicay)
10/11/2013  CD4-377(26%)  VL-UD
12/20/2013  CD4-590(??%)  VL-UD
03/18/2014  CD4-660(29%)  VL-UD
07/22/2014  CD4-613(29%)  VL-UD
08/01/2014   Start Phase 3 TAF (Truvada 2.0) Clinical Trial (TAF + Tivicay)
10/09/2014  CD4-498(29.5%) VL-UD
11/06/2014  CD4-600(30.2%) VL-UD
01/30/2015  CD4-529(31.3%) VL-UD
07/25/2015  CD4-742(36.5%) VL-UD
10/06/2015  CD4-765(28.9%) VL-UD
01/05/2016  CD4-907(33.1%) VL-UD
03/24/2016  CD4-770(33.5%) VL-UD
06/20/2016  CD4-850(35.4%) VL-UD

Dr. Mark Wainberg on Dolutegravir:
Video 1: https://youtu.be/wCXOgLJqJAY
Video 2: https://youtu.be/DKiaD7fHO-s

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #68 on: November 29, 2014, 06:44:13 pm »
Just want everyon to know I am still here.  Foot is not any worse, leg looks like my bone is going to pop through the skin.

I want to thank everyone again.  Thi is by no means over, wish it were.  Will keep everyone updated.

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #69 on: December 01, 2014, 01:08:22 pm »
honey, I've been so caught up in my own health issues I was not fully aware that this happened ( thanks Hydrocodone and Morphine !). You have really had a time this year.  What can I say, except I love you , you're in my prayers every day, and I admire you so much for accepting your health issues and dealing with them with so much grace and humility .

MUCH LOVE, Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #70 on: December 01, 2014, 07:46:58 pm »
Alan, with everything you've been going through, I'm humbled by your words.  I pray for you every day also.  You're going through so much, I follow very closely on care bridge. 

I went to the doctor today.  The brace I was given last week was not the one the nurse practitioner ordered.  The doctor couldn't believe I was given a brace that didn't cover my fracture.  He put some cushioning on my leg, put plaster on both sides, of the outsides, and wrapped an Ace bandage around it.  It is still very sore, but is much better supported.  The doctor said there is callous formation, evidenced by x-Ray, which means it's healing, but slowly.

So, I go back in 3 weeks.  This is such a drawn out mess.  Thanks for continuing to let me vent.  I've been pretty depressed lately, feeling so helpless, like a burden.  And so many things that get taken for granted until they get taken away.

Guess I have to keep going, thanks again.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #71 on: December 01, 2014, 07:48:43 pm »
Hang in there Betty … we got to get you well so we can meet someday .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #72 on: December 01, 2014, 08:42:23 pm »
We will meet someday, Jeff.  We just live too close.  Maybe Alan could join us, and the Wolf?  We all kind of live "close" to each other.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #73 on: December 01, 2014, 08:56:37 pm »
We will meet someday, Jeff.  We just live too close.  Maybe Alan could join us, and the Wolf?  We all kind of live "close" to each other.

Hey,what am I, chopped liver?

I'm not a praying kinda guy but you and Alan never leave my mind.

It's good to hear that your cast/brace has improved and there are signs of healing. Geez, I'm frustrated for you!!

And Alan, I can't imagine what you are going through but just know we are here. I know, wrong thread. Sorry but I'm tired.

hugs to you both.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #74 on: December 01, 2014, 09:48:54 pm »
Oh M, of course you're invited, that goes without saying.  You've been an angel through my breaks and it's so appreciated.  And you're going through stress also, it seems to be an ongoing problem with us long termers.  You hang in! 

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #75 on: December 04, 2014, 06:05:34 am »
Just a small update..yesterday when I was getting in the shower, I noticed my ace Banda the doctor had wrapped around the plaster, was a bit loose.  So, I got out a wrap I have, and used the wrap the doctor put on to wrap around the bottom of the plaster, and the wrap I have on the top half.  I wrapped it tightly. 

I got my wheelchair yesterday.  It's not an electric one, but it's nice-brand new. In the afternoon yesterday I rolled down the driveway and got the mail, and that about wore me out.  The end of the drive goes uphill and it was difficult to roll to the top without going backwards. But, I made it.

My housemate and her son went to get take out for supper and I got a crazy idea-why not try to get downstairs to get a few candles, some clean clothes, and see my kitty?  So, I decided that since no one was around to make me nervous, I would try it. 

So I went down, standing up and using my walker.  I changed my cat's litter, fed her and washed out her water dish, and spent some time giving her some attention.  She has been coming upstairs at night to sleep by me, then stays upstairs when I get up, until my housemate and her dog get up.  So, she was happy to see me last night.

I also wanted to bring up some Christmas candles (Yankee of course, my favorite), so I tied a cloth bag to my walker and put four candles in.  There are still more that I will get later.  I also put some clothes in a bag and carried it all up, standing using my walker.  But, the handrail stops about 3 steps before the top.  Well, I had put a chair at the top in case
I needed it.  So I sat down, lifted myself to the top, and used my arms to lift myself up.  Which isn't easy with a bum leg. My arms have gotten quite strong,having to use the walker for such a long period of time.

I'm not going to start doing this every day, not quite yet.  But I would like to go downstairs sometime soon and sleep in my own bed.

So that's the update for now. Hopefully I will continue to heal.  Albeit very, very slowly.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #76 on: December 04, 2014, 07:45:34 am »
That's a good update Betty ... we can go with that . Judging from your tone you seem a bit more upbeat .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline mitch777

« Reply #77 on: December 04, 2014, 06:30:40 pm »
Pretty soon you will have the biceps of Hulk Hogan.  :)

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #78 on: December 05, 2014, 07:37:20 am »
I forgot to update on my foot, and I wouldn't do it except I know it bugs me when someone posts about an issue then never updates what happened.

So, my sister in Phoenix takes care of special needs kids, both physically and mentally disabled.  So she deals with things like bed sores, pressure sores etc.  She was telling me about these medicated pads/bandages she uses, that she got from a Hospice nurse friend, called Duo-Derm.  She sent me a couple and said to leave it on for 3-5 days.  So I received them Monday and put one on Monday night. 

I read the insert she sent and another type of wound the manufacturers claim this helps is diabetic ulcers.  I thought that was a plus.

I took it off  yesterday afternoon and the wound looks so much better!  It's not a crater anymore; it now looks like a bad surface wound.  So hoping it will continue healing. I put another bandage on and will take it off Monday.

I just wanted everyone to know.  My eyes are so tired right now from not getting any kind of quality sleep since starting to sleep on the couch.  I'll catch up at some point. 

Offline mitch777

« Reply #79 on: December 05, 2014, 07:38:39 pm »
More good news from you Betty! Wonder if your doc is aware of these pads.  ???

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #80 on: December 05, 2014, 08:35:19 pm »
My doctor probably has no clue about these pads.  He doesn't take care of things like pressure sores etc. so I'm sure he doesn't know.  I'm just so happy my sister had them. 

So, for those who don't read facebook, can you all guess what I'm typing this post on?  My fricking laptop!  Can you believe it?  I thought it had fried when I knocked it in the water, and that has been the normal this year anyway.  Bad, bad year.

So tonight, I thought I would come downstairs to see what was going on.  I had dusted, taken out the trash, the recycling, and was bored.  I got down here, started to do some laundry, was changing my bed, and saw my laptop.  I thought, hmmm, I wonder what would happen if I plug it in?  So I did, and the lights came on! 

I had to mess with it for a very long time, and so did my housemate.  But, I am now typing this post on it.  I'm still in shock, and don't know quite what to make of it.  I'm hoping no disaster happens next lol.  No, seriously.

So, I had to share that.  I know it will bring a smile to Jeff's face, who has listened to me bitch about not having a laptop, and M, who tried to get me one (thanks dear).  I feel very, very blessed right now.  Doesn't take much does it? Lol.  Not when you lose things you've taken for granted.  Nope, doesn't take much anymore.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #81 on: December 05, 2014, 08:44:44 pm »
 :) :) :)

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #82 on: December 06, 2014, 09:21:04 pm »
Hey Betty ,
Duo-Derm has been around for a long time !
They have been used for bed sores and wound care for many years.
Ask if you can get them in sheets ,you can cut to size & they are much cheaper
and easier to apply where needed.

I hope your foot continues to heal ,and your leg too  !!!

Best Wishes , Wade

HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 HIV Testing
 HIV TasP
 HIV prevention
 PEP and PrEP

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #83 on: December 12, 2014, 01:07:00 pm »
So, I was doing better....

I mean, I've been jamming.  Baking, cleaning. Monday I made fudge.  Tuesday I made sugar cookies with homemade buttercream frosting. Wednesday I made macaroons.  Yesterday I made gingerbread men with more homemade frosting.  And I mean, these were all from scratch, none of that store-bought roll out nonsense. I had also rolled out the sugar cookies, used cutters on them, decorated etc.  So, this took time, a long, long time. The clean up was a bitch.  Thank God it's only once a year lol.

This morning, I got up, went upstairs, and went pee.  When I flushed it, the water didn't go down.  So I got the plunger, which is like industrial strength, and the water overflowed.  My housemate and I worked on it for 1/2 hour and it finally went down. Apparently her son took a dump sometime last night (he's up later than we are), and left the mess.  So, I bleached and washed down the whole bathroom, including the floor.

Then, I went out to smoke, lit up the cigarette, and it flamed up.  I had lit the wrong end.  I told my friend I hope these were not indicators of how the rest of the day was going to go. 

I then ate some toast and peanut butter, after bleaching the bathroom, and took a shower.  I had put the towels used to soak up the water, and the rugs, in plastic bags, and I threw them down the stairs, so I could come downstairs and wash them.  Went down the stairs, no problem.

Got in the laundry room, and had to get around something to get the Clorox for the towels.  When I got it, my feet went off balance, and down I went.  Nothing snapped, thank God. But now, any little pressure on my broken leg, and I get sharp pains (I mean nothing a pain pill could take care of; well, other than Dilaudid, lol).  I had my leg wrapped pretty snug, with the plaster on, which may have saved it from snapping. But, I have no idea if anything happened.  I mean anything bad, like undoing all the healing that's been done. 

Luckily I was able to pull myself up with my walker, and made it to my room.  Now I'm laying on my bed, and am thinking I should stay in my room the rest of the day, other than going out to smoke (which I can do down here, I don't have to go upstairs), going to the bathroom (my housemate has a bathroom off her bedroom down here), and finishing the towels and rugs. 

It's not a good day, and it's only part way over.  I'm bummed.   :-\

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #84 on: December 12, 2014, 01:17:05 pm »
Dang Betty ... I'm glad you weren't seriously hurt . We are going to cut to the chase and stop asking each other how are you doing and go right to how bad is your day dear .

I'm doing better than you but spent from 8 till 11:30 in my doctors office ... I will take my day over yours thank you .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #85 on: December 12, 2014, 10:11:44 pm »
I forgot to mention my doctor finally prescribed a med to prevent further breakage.  I know I talked previously about going on Forteo, which is a daily injection, but I looked it up and really didn't like its frequent side effects.  So, after looking at the different meds, I decided on once a week Fosamax.  I have the prescription and will probably start it Sunday or early next week. 

Offline aztecan

« Reply #86 on: December 15, 2014, 10:32:26 am »
I was wondering about that. Glad you decided to check out the options, Betty.

HUGS,

Mark

Offline wolfter

« Reply #87 on: December 15, 2014, 08:08:13 pm »
Dang Betty, why are you continuing to push yourself during the healing process?  You should heed my practices of always maintaining a sedentary existence until all is healed.  OK, that one was hard to type without laughing.  :) 

My new specialists also are recommending that I switch to the daily injections since the Boniva apparently is working.  I have a while to decide so I'll wait til after the holidays.  Fosimax was even suggested to me so I will study up on that one.  They also said there's a monthly injection available but that don't think I'll benefit from it due to the extreme bone loss I already have.

Take care of yourself and best wishes with the treatment.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #88 on: December 16, 2014, 06:07:58 am »
Thanks guys.  Greg, I know damn well how you "stay put " when you break something lol.  You and I are very similar in that regard.  Luckily I can still move around after the fall so if something happened, it's not preventing me from getting around.

I did a shit ton of work around here yesterday....laundry, dusting, vacuuming, sorting, moving boxes (which is tricky with a walker lol).   I'm so,so extremely sore in my chest, shoulders and back. Thank heaven we have muscle rub.

On the big bone that runs down the middle on my leg, by where the break is, there's a hump that sticks out about 2,inches. Right below that, there's swelling that goes from the middle bone, and around the outside.  It looks like someone put a small balloon under my skin.  And an odd factor is it makes it feel like I have a 20 lb weight in that area that is pulling my leg down. And it's painful.  I want thto know what the hell it is. 

I started the Fosamax yesterday and so far no negative issues. Honestly, if it wasn't for the swelling I would be fine. Hopefully the docs can figure this out...

Betty

Offline Theyer

« Reply #89 on: December 16, 2014, 01:08:30 pm »
Shudder.
Take care Betty , has the swelling occurred since the fall?

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #90 on: December 16, 2014, 03:01:18 pm »
Shudder.
Take care Betty , has the swelling occurred since the fall?

Yes it has been since the fall. When I was in his office last time, the ortho said he thought the thing that sticks out was callous, or new bone. But why would it hurt?  I'm supposed to be seeing my PCP Thursday.  Will see what he says.

Offline Theyer

« Reply #91 on: December 18, 2014, 04:28:50 am »
Yes it has been since the fall. When I was in his office last time, the ortho said he thought the thing that sticks out was callous, or new bone. But why would it hurt?  I'm supposed to be seeing my PCP Thursday.  Will see what he says.

The only thing I can think off is the growing bone is touching nerves and or it's like adolescent growing pains

I,ve got three bumps on my palm from braking my finger ,they are pain free but are growing ,nodules I think the Doc called them. Both ankles are now larger after healing and are prone to pain., any infection however slight produces extra joint pain.

Hey Ho ain't,t it all so manageable now ,

Hugs Dear.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #92 on: December 18, 2014, 06:44:03 am »
The only really strange part is that it feels like I have a 50 lb weight on my leg pulling it down and making it painful. And pressure, so I can't walk with just my cane, I have to continue with the walker. That is so damn frustrating because I want to drive. But I can't because I have to put my walker in the back seat so that prevents me from getting back into the front seat (does that make sense).   

Something else that happened...the afternoon after I started the Fosamax I started having severe muscle pain in my shoulder blades, and under my arms.  First I thought it was from using the walker but I have been using it for awhile, so why would muscles start hurting again?  I was telling my sister about it and she said it's probably the med.  So I'm going to email my doctor and request a different one.  I guess I can try the Forteo, which is a daily injection.

Oh well, better than it was when I first broke the tibia and hopefully it will get better.  Thanks all for continuing to allow me to bitch and moan lol. 

Offline Theyer

« Reply #93 on: December 18, 2014, 07:04:22 am »
Dear One,
Bugger
The Doc,s need to be involved , I do have experience off nerve pain that felt like my ankles where going to snap at any moment so any disruption to the nerves can manifest in many ways.

Is the injection into fat and do you have enough to take daily shots ?

Offline mitch777

« Reply #94 on: December 18, 2014, 06:08:42 pm »
Last time Betty, I promise.

betty needs to stay off her feet
she never listens to me and refuses defeat
defiant against docs she follows Greg's lead
and moves forward at high speed

low and behold another bone breaks
and once again my head shakes
so stubborn you are my dear
the good advice you can't seem to hear

keep going this way
and I'm being blunt to say
your bones will remain a mess
and mobility less

what's it going to take
for you to know you need a break
I'm about to give up
so really what's up

have the courage to rest
as we all know it's best
I ask what's a month or two
it will get you through

no lol's at this horrible poem
it's given me a headache and I'm not alone
you're too good for this shit
just stay still and sit

it takes time to heal
that's the real deal
if you can't accept that
you will spend more time on your back

your diabetes concerns me more than you know
I'd hate to see you lose a leg not even a toe
so please take good care
as I will be pissed as hell if you don't stop taking care of yourself as you do others.

It took me awhile to post after hearing about you falling.

I love you Betty or I would not have embarrassed myself this way.  :-* :-*

edited to add:

I know you don't have servants
not many of us do
we need to rely upon others
as others rely upon you. (me included) 

« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 06:17:05 pm by mitch777 »

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #95 on: December 18, 2014, 06:37:16 pm »
Michael, the injection is into the fat (my fat) in the stomach.  Sometimes I don't believe the doctors take me seriously when I say things. But we'll see Monday when I see the ortho.

M, thanks for that poem, it means more than you know, because it took your time and in today's world, time is a precious commodity.  Trust me, I am watching out.  I'm sick to death of not being able to go out when I want/need to.  Having to depend on others for transport sucks.  I mean, I am extremely fortunate that I have the housemate, and family I do. 

I know and accept that I have limitations.  And I can push myself to the point of extreme pain anymore.  If I'm up doing something and I start to have pain, I sit down and put my leg up.  So, rest assured kiddies, I am trying to back off being super Betty lol. 

I have a lot of work to do this weekend for end of year grant stuff regarding my women's group. Oh, also, I do have a wheelchair and do use it.  Also, when we went shopping last weekend, I rod one of those electric carts.  That was fun and makes me wonder why I don't do that all the time lol.

Thanks again for the concern, all.  It truly does mean a lot.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #96 on: December 18, 2014, 06:51:43 pm »

Also, when we went shopping last weekend, I rod one of those electric carts.  That was fun and makes me wonder why I don't do that all the time lol.

Thanks again for the concern, all.  It truly does mean a lot.

The next poem will be titled Wallmart Betty rides again .

I yelled at her last night on the phone so I don't have to do that here LOL .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #97 on: December 18, 2014, 08:11:36 pm »
The next poem will be titled Wallmart Betty rides again .

I yelled at her last night on the phone so I don't have to do that here LOL .

Lol, it wasn't Wal Mart but that's the store that makes you think of those carts isn't it.  All those hefty people riding them that don't want to walk. My apologies here to anyone who has a weight issue, but that's just what it's like around here. 

Yes, and I do want to report I was admonished by Jeff last night on the phone.  He did promise spankings, however, if I continue, so maybe I should? Lol. 

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #98 on: December 18, 2014, 08:14:27 pm »
Nothing worse than a pushy moderator with your phone # LOL .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #99 on: December 18, 2014, 08:16:10 pm »
Nothing worse than a pushy moderator with your phone # LOL .

Except another pushy moderator with the other person's number lol.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #100 on: December 18, 2014, 08:17:07 pm »
Except another pushy moderator with the other person's number lol.

I was just thinking the same thing … you have set me straight a time or two .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #101 on: December 18, 2014, 08:30:02 pm »
I was just thinking the same thing … you have set me straight a time or two .

We balance each other out I think.  We make a good team.  We definitely have to meet next summer/early fall.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #102 on: December 18, 2014, 08:38:21 pm »
Sounds like a good plan to me !
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline mitch777

« Reply #103 on: December 19, 2014, 05:10:16 pm »

M, thanks for that poem, it means more than you know, because it took your time and in today's world, time is a precious commodity.  Trust me, I am watching out.  I'm sick to death of not being able to go out when I want/need to.  Having to depend on others for transport sucks.  I mean, I am extremely fortunate that I have the housemate, and family I do. 

You're welcome but I must admit I was a bit stressed and cranky yesterday so I popped off that poem in 10 minutes during my second cocktail with a crappy migraine.  :-[  lol.

Jeff, promising her spankings was a bad move.  You need the spanking and Betty needs to be tied down. Hmm...this plan may not work either.

Betty, I really would have loved to see you on that cart shopping with one of those extended grab devices. I would bet you could become a world class expert in no time.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #104 on: December 19, 2014, 05:57:24 pm »
I would love to have a cocktail.  Unfortunately, my housemate believes I have an issue with alcohol because of having issues with drugs in the past.  So I can't drink, though I do have a1/2 of a pint of Captain downstairs under my bed that I may crack into if my housemate goes to her meeting tonight (12step meeting)

M, it only took you 10 minutes to write that?  Wow, you're good. And I understand you want to tie me down and watch you give Jeff a spanking?

So my car won't start.  I should have been going out every couple days and starting it.  I was going to go through the drive through at my credit union. Oh well, not today lol.

I was thinking about how much faster my bones would heal if I would quit smoking.  So quitting has now become an idea.  Jeff, are you still not puffing? 

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #105 on: December 19, 2014, 06:14:52 pm »
I’m still not puffing !
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #106 on: December 19, 2014, 06:18:33 pm »
I’m still not puffing !

Damn, good for you!  So, when I quit, I want hand-held support from you buddy lol.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #107 on: December 19, 2014, 06:20:15 pm »
You got it !  . I think the big difference was I was ready to quit this time .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Theyer

« Reply #108 on: December 20, 2014, 04:24:28 am »
I would love to have a cocktail.  Unfortunately, my housemate believes I have an issue with alcohol because of having issues with drugs in the past.  So I can't drink, though I do have a1/2 of a pint of Captain downstairs under my bed that I may crack into if my housemate goes to her meeting (12 -  step )

Betty this is a great outline for a sit - com ,  what happens next - house mate comes back fires up computer to see how Betty,s doing ? You have your cocktail dear.

Not puffing Jeff well done you.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #109 on: December 21, 2014, 05:35:40 pm »

M, it only took you 10 minutes to write that?  Wow, you're good. And I understand you want to tie me down and watch you give Jeff a spanking?

So my car won't start.  I should have been going out every couple days and starting it.  I was going to go through the drive through at my credit union. Oh well, not today lol.

Yes to both of your questions. lol. Oh,... and you should here me rap! (NOT!) tee he.

Good luck with getting your car started.

Hope you have a wonderful holiday season Betty!

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #110 on: December 21, 2014, 09:33:11 pm »
Michael, lol.  I don't believe my housemate looks at my computer, or the sites I post on.  And I did have that cocktail; in fact, I had two.  I made the last one a bit strong, I believe, because I slept straight through the night and didn't wake up when anyone got home, or when my housemate put her grandson on the pull out couch that's right outside my room lol.

M, happy holidays to you as well.  You are one of the most sweetest persons I know, and you truly deserve the best. 

I haven't done anything strange today.  My housemate's daughter's family came over for dinner, so I visited with them and wrote end of year grant stuff.  Yuck.  Tomorrow I see the orthopedist, late in the afternoon.  I believe I'm going to request an MRI on my whole leg to find out why there are these humps and my leg is now deformed.  Stay tuned....

Offline Theyer

« Reply #111 on: December 23, 2014, 04:07:07 am »
Michael, lol.  I don't believe my housemate looks at my computer, or the sites I post on.  And I did have that cocktail; in fact, I had two. 

Off coarse she does or will do , by accident maybe there will be an "intervention" you will be dragged off to a beige and grey Church Hall sat in a circle .......well
I am guessing you,ve been there
I like whiskey sours.
Kisses&hug
Michael

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #112 on: December 23, 2014, 11:14:36 am »
Went to the appointment yesterday and was told something I was totally not ready for.  The doctor is now recommending that I get a rod in my leg.  My bone is healing curved.  I believe I am going to get a second opinion.  This just gets worse and worse, I wish it was all over (leg issues). 

I told a friend that maybe I should have everything below my waist should be cut off and I could get prostheses.  Then I could be another blade runner lol.

I am supposed to go back in two weeks. But, if I can get an appointment with another orthopedist, the appointment may not happen then.  I just want to be able to move around without severe pain. 

So, that's what's going on now.  I'm not too upset, just thoughtful.  Good vibes, feelings, prayers, whatever, are much appreciated!

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #113 on: December 23, 2014, 11:23:03 am »
Good vibes, prayer and a little whatever is heading your way . A second opinion is good, I would be really surprised if it varied too much from what you have heard already since you know for sure its not healing correctly . I wish I could make it all better but we can at least have a good laugh now and then on the phone and forget what ails us if just for a minute .

Hugs and squeezes .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline mitch777

« Reply #114 on: December 23, 2014, 05:40:31 pm »
Sorry to hear the latest news Betty. Ugh! I agree with Jeff on this but it never hurts to get another opinion.

On the plus side, I doubt you will have to worry about a rod breaking. You will be well on your way to becoming the $6 million dollar woman.

Sending you best thoughts that I can muster.  :-*

m.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #115 on: December 23, 2014, 09:43:39 pm »
Thanks guys. Yeah, the other doctor will probably say the same thing.  I just wish my doctor had been more proactive in all this.  But, whatever.  I'm just tired of being in pain.  But, the more stuff I go through, the less shocked and taken aback at what I hear lol. At least when it involves my joints
Every move I make it's like I pop and crack all over, even when I breathe I have pops in my ribs.  It's crazy. 

I'm not going to stress about this the next couple days, or try not to for the whole weekend.  I was asked to be a speaker at a New Year's Eve Narcotics Anonymous dance.  I was asked to talk about what pills can do to a person, as a lot of addicts are running to doctors seeking (what else) Xanax and Vicodin.  So I may do that.  Give back and all that.  Love you guys!

Offline wolfter

« Reply #116 on: December 24, 2014, 09:50:23 am »
I admire your strength and determination Betty.  We really don't have much choice but to struggle and move on.  Sending you huge holidays hugs.

Offline Buckmark

• Henry's Home Page
« Reply #117 on: December 24, 2014, 10:10:08 am »
Betty,

I think getting a second opinion is a very smart idea at this point.  Getting a rod inserted in your leg may be the right answer, but it can really improve your confidence and outlook to hear it from a second physician.  Your current physician should take no offense at this.  I'm sending you lots of healing thoughts and prayers.  In the meantime, I hope you have a Merry Christmas!

Love and Hugs,

Henry

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #118 on: December 24, 2014, 11:14:45 am »
Thanks guys.  I don't know about strength, it's just like you said Greg, what other choice do we have?  I don't like to have a miserable attitude and make everyone around me miserable.  Don't be mistaken, I do have bitch sessions with my housemate.  But I don't like to be constant doom and gloom. 

Today I have the house to myself.  The housemate's son is gone to his girlfriend's and won't be back until tomorrow night, and my housemate is working.  I've changed my sheets, dusted my room, and am doing some laundry.  Starting tomorrow, other than Friday, there are a few holiday gatherings, so I wanted to be done with the cleaning stuff prior to that. 

I sincerely hope everyone has an excellent holiday.  Can you all believe that next week it will be a new year?  I'm hoping the upcoming year will be a better one.  This one sucked, starting with the broken hip.  So, let's all keep our fingers crossed for a super year for all of us!

Offline Theyer

« Reply #119 on: January 04, 2015, 02:52:06 pm »
Betty

I did have an excellent Holliday unfortunately two days after returning knees gave out sprained ankle and very very sore knees. Meant re using walker that was doing duty as towel rail. That lasted three days , stick now

I think it happened coz after all the activity off the holiday , walking , they where exhausted . Beginning to wonder if my wreck off a body will much improve , how are you doing ?

After this I am takin first walk outside for six days.

With love
M

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #120 on: January 05, 2015, 06:25:39 am »
Michael, so good to hear from you.  I'm sorry you hurt your knees and ankle. I believe I have another break on the outside of the same leg my other breaks are on. 

I go see my ortho doctor today and will be discussing the rod placement.  I hope it will be the right fit.   Keeping fingers crossed.

Betty

Offline Theyer

« Reply #121 on: January 05, 2015, 07:48:08 am »
Good luck with the Dr visit Betty, I walked for 20mins last night okish though can feel the metal joining rod in right foot with each step. No longer painful but much prefer not feeling it so  distinctly .

I will check this site often to hear your news and decision ,I am not clear if this is the second opinion Dr visit ?
Are you driving? I know how you hate to be deprived off the freedom it gives you , though some off your driving descriptions scare me blue.
For the first time in years I am a wanting a Car , will have to take some catch up lessons as I have not driven in 10 years at least.
Hugs
Michael

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #122 on: January 05, 2015, 02:29:07 pm »
Hi Michael, no, I can't drive yet unfortunately.  My car won't even start now because of my failure to keep starting it when it started to get frigid.  Even if it did start, I still couldn't drive it.  I can't walk without the walker and I would have to put that in the back seat. My bones in my leg are healing curved, and I think the smaller bone (fibula) may be broken again.  It feels like I have arrows going into my leg every step, every time I lift up my leg, or set it down.

This appointment isn't the second opinion.  I believe my doctor is right about me needing the rod.  I will be talking to him about the surgery and talking to the nurse practitioner about starting a med for the osteoporosis crap.

I will definitely keep this updated.  I appreciate everyone's concern.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #123 on: January 13, 2015, 01:57:53 pm »
Hi everyone.  I can't believe it's been a week since the rod was put in my leg.  I'm in a physical rehab at the moment, but don't plan on being here past Friday.  This Friday.  I don't think they agree with that but I really don't care lol. Wouldn't be the first time I left a facility AMA. 

Been doing therapy every day. Well, except last Friday.  My blood pressure dropped pretty low, I'm talking 65/35.  Yes, that's correct. It was the result of a medication error-I was given too large a dose of my heart med.  Other than that, therapy every day.  Which is fine.

If I knew how to post pics here, I would share pics of my incisions.  They look really good and have stopped draining.  Next Monday, those are coming out.  I want to thank everyone for continued support.  It means a lot.

Betty

Offline wolfter

« Reply #124 on: January 13, 2015, 11:12:49 pm »
I left AMA when I had the plates and screws were installed and the ligament repaired in my lower leg.  They wanted me to stay several days after the surgery and I refused, staying 1 day only.  I saw no need when I could enjoy my recovery in my own bed.

I certainly hope this gets you some mobility.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #125 on: January 14, 2015, 05:44:16 am »
Thanks Greg. I knew there was another rebel among us.

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #126 on: January 14, 2015, 09:46:30 am »
Hi Betty,
Are you weight bearing ?
If not , you best do what they tell you !
As a dear friend always says Befuckinghave !!
 Wade
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 HIV Testing
 HIV TasP
 HIV prevention
 PEP and PrEP

Offline Theyer

« Reply #127 on: January 14, 2015, 09:46:48 am »
Glad to read you are the other side off the operation Betty. Why do they wish you to stay on longer than you wish ? Will home be set up for your return ? Does the rehab includ an assessment off your home ? Sorry for being a worry wart , but your leg must heal and not have more set backs . Have you seen the Doc who did the op, what's there view. OK you can stand down from the Dock now and recieive a great big hug.
M

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #128 on: January 14, 2015, 11:15:30 am »
I have been weight bearing as tolerated since the day of the surgery.  Michael, this place does offer home assessments, but I passed on it.  I use a walker here, which is what I had been using at home, so no difference there.

Today in therapy I did the staircase, up and down.  I'm pretty instinctual of what I can and cannot handle physical wise.  And I pay attention to my instincts.  I've had too many negative consequences of not paying attention, and there's no way I want to continue that.

I believe physical therapy has taken me seriously regarding my wanting to go home Friday.  There's not much they can do about it really.  It is a very pleasant facility, I just hate not being home.  I'm sure everyone can understand that.

As far as what the surgeon thinks, he's on vacation.  But he is not the one who had me come here. He was going to send me home the day after surgery but I insisted on getting very short term physical rehab. Just to get stronger and to make sure nothing else happens. 

Thanks again guys.  I will keep all updated.

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #129 on: January 14, 2015, 11:40:45 am »
Hey Betty ,
That's Great ! Being weight bearing makes all the difference ,
you will be getting around in no time ! Your strong and know your limits.
I went home after both knee replacements.
was VERY careful of infection.

Good For You ! Wade
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 HIV Testing
 HIV TasP
 HIV prevention
 PEP and PrEP

Offline Theyer

« Reply #130 on: January 14, 2015, 05:32:12 pm »
Michael,s happy & thanks you dear for the reply.
I Am also a believer in listening to my instincts, Betty  too often 
I have gone against them to my cost , so I try not to be deaf now. So just Thursday to go & then home oh warrior. Heart.
With love
Michael.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #131 on: January 19, 2015, 09:35:27 pm »
Got my stitches out today, didn't hurt a bit.  I only had like 15. The nurse practitioner said the fibula is just starting to heal a little (had to re-break during surgery).  The rod looks good, I don't have any gut-wrenching pain, so I only take like 1 pain pill a day. The rest of the time I take Ibuprofen or Tylenol. 

I go back to see the doctor in 3 weeks.  I was told today another 6-8 weeks before possibly going back to work.  I attempted calling HR at my "manual" job, but no answer. I left a message, and the doctor office is supposed to send paperwork.  Hopefully they will hold my job, dunno.  If not, I guess I can apply again. 

That's it for now.  Will update more if/when anything happens. 

Betty

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #132 on: January 22, 2015, 08:50:57 am »
Hey Betty, just saying HI, I'm thinking about you.  I am so glad to hear you're not having severe pain.  That's a real blessing.  You're in my prayers honey....

LOVE, Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline wolfter

« Reply #133 on: January 22, 2015, 01:12:45 pm »
Whoot!  You're finally mending.  At least your laid up during the miserable midwest winter season.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #134 on: January 22, 2015, 06:49:58 pm »
Thanks guys.  In my last post, I should have said "staples," not "stitches."  Anyway....I called the manual job and they told me they cannot hold my job past this Friday.  The lady did say I would be eligible for re-hire in the future, and she would put my name on their paperwork for this.  Of course that doesn't mean I would get the same house again, I could get one where there is a lot of heavy lifting etc.   That would not fly. 

I did drive today, just went through a drive-thru to get a smoothie.  I put the walker right outside my car door, so when I got home I could use it again.  I can't walk without the walker yet.

The physical therapist did come over this afternoon.  She had me walk with my cane for just a couple times around the kitchen.  I still cannot use the cane exclusively, but will be happy when I can.  I have exercises I'm doing daily, plus I started riding my recumbent bike for 20 minutes a day.  Hopefully this will push me towards quitting smoking again, though that's not high on my list.

Greg, yes, luckily this time of year is a good one to have to be in and not so active.  Actually the worst snowfall we've had this winter has been over Thanksgiving.  I mean it has snowed, but nothing huge.  Only a couple inches here and there.  The next couple of days they're calling for highs in the upper 30's.  But, winter is supposed to hit again next week, with high's in the 20's and accumulating snow.  Well, it's only coming up on February and we've had snow late into April/early May before. Not that I want that to happen again lol.

I do appreciate the support from everyone, it really does help spirit wise. I feel a bit isolated other than seeing my roommate, her son and a few friends of mine and theirs who have been by.  Other than the weekend, when my roommate has been good enough to take me out.  One day at a time comes in handy right now....

Offline aztecan

« Reply #135 on: January 22, 2015, 09:25:00 pm »
Hey Betty,

Glad you are on the mend. Be careful if you have to go out in this iffy weather.

HUGS,

Mark

Offline Theyer

« Reply #136 on: January 26, 2015, 09:50:53 am »
Betty I am heartened that you are home and able to do exercise drive poll dance..At. The moment I am house bound doing interesting moves due to balance and blood pressure . It is isolating and dark and grey. Looking forward to Spring. Hugs mighty one

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #137 on: February 13, 2015, 05:59:31 am »
So I found out a couple days ago that I now have a fractured right foot, the same side as all the recent fractures.  It's like I break something every coup weeks.  And I broke my foot the same way everything else happened to break-walking. 

Today I see the ortho and his nurse practitioner for a post-surgery followed up and to be started on the Forteo.  That's a daily injection which won't be much of a bother since I inject insulin every day.  It's supposed to build bone mass. Well, we'll see. Wish me luck.

Oh, by the way, I shoveled out the driveway yesterday to clear the snow we got night before last.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #138 on: February 13, 2015, 04:57:29 pm »

Oh, by the way, I shoveled out the driveway yesterday to clear the snow we got night before last.

Betty, Betty, Betty...

I really don't know what to say anymore. ::) What's next? The Boston Marathon? Sky diving? Tap dancing?

I agree with "bossy" Jeff. (another thread) lol.

Hunker down and get some healing going on SOON! Hope it is not causing too much pain in the meantime. :-*

Offline Theyer

« Reply #139 on: February 22, 2015, 06:32:02 am »
Betty I sorry to hear that yet another fracture has occured and I am hoping that the drug treatment will work and will be tolerated . Much love
M

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #140 on: February 22, 2015, 09:25:56 am »
Betty I sorry to hear that yet another fracture has occured and I am hoping that the drug treatment will work and will be tolerated . Much love
M

Thanks Michael, I also hope the treatment works.  So far no debilitating side effects so I'm happy about that.  Good to see you!

Betty

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #141 on: March 11, 2015, 04:44:36 am »
I guess I could update this ongoing mess.  Monday I went to my ortho's office and had an xray done on my foot, and leg, to check the rod and fractures. 

A couple weeks ago I started having pain on the outside of my right foot and had an xray, diagnosed with a stress fracture.  Well, when they took the xray a couple days ago they found a fracture involving the first metatarsal bone (big toe) that runs all the way down the bone from where it connects to the toe , clear down the length of the foot.  I was given a shoe cast and told to be as non-weight bearing as possible.  The dr also said if I have to walk, to do so on my heel.

As for the other bones, the tibia and fibula are still not healed. They've started to callous up but the dr said are still fractured.  My ankle is okay.

The new osteoporosis med therapy is going well, no noticeable side effects.  My dr said it's usually 6-9 months before they see results but that doesn't make any sense.  I'm giving myself a shot of the Forteo every day so I don't understand why it would take so long.  But, whatever.

This morning I am going to my regular dr because I believe I have pneumonia.  You can hear the horrible congestion when I breathe, even with my mouth closed.  Been using the inhaler every four hours, having a difficult time breathing.   Yesterday I could not get warm.  I had to actually put my space heater at 75F and had to get under two fleece blankets and an electric blanket to sleep.  So, we'll see how this goes. 

I hope everyone is doing well. Hopefully I can get some good antibiotics today. 
Betty

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #142 on: March 11, 2015, 06:52:28 am »
Betty this really does keep going on and on for you. I'm so sorry. I was really hoping things had begun to calm down.

Offline aztecan

« Reply #143 on: March 11, 2015, 08:34:27 am »
Wow Betty,

I'm sorry this keeps lingering for you. I will send healing energy your way, and lots of warm thoughts as well.

HUGS,

Mark
]

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #144 on: March 11, 2015, 09:12:39 am »
I'm sorry you have having so much difficulty Betty ... love you .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #145 on: March 11, 2015, 10:31:03 am »
Oh No Betty,

I thought you were on the mend also,
I can't imagine how frustrating this must be for you.
Hope there is an end to this soon , and you are walking with out pain !
Wish You Well, Wade

HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 HIV Testing
 HIV TasP
 HIV prevention
 PEP and PrEP

Online Tonny2

« Reply #146 on: March 11, 2015, 11:01:37 am »

ojo     Hello Betty, finally I know who Betty is"...I'm sorry to hear you are having all these issues, I'm sending you a big hugs and hoping that, at least you get some help with your pneumonia...hugs          ojo

Offline wolfter

« Reply #147 on: March 11, 2015, 02:49:11 pm »
Betty, I was also told all the osteo meds take at least 6 months to start seeing benefits.  Some of the pills forms can take a year and actually cause a bit of further bone loss until they work.

I decided to not go with the injectable and remain on Boniva.  I'm not brave enough to do my own shots.   :o  And the cost was ridiculous.  I'd have to forego a lot of shopping.

Certainly hope you get this all sorted out soon, I totally understand the frustration.

hugs and luvs

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #148 on: March 11, 2015, 08:12:40 pm »
So I went to my doctor, who wanted to admit me to the hospital.  I told her no way.  It was because even after a breathing treatment my biox rate was so low she said I was borderline hypoxia.  So, she diagnosed pneumonia, acute exacerbation of COPD, and gave me Doxycycline, Prednisone, Spiriva, and Albuterol.  I have to see her again Friday so she can check my biox rate again.  I have not smoked since this morning, it seems counterproductive at this point.

I'm having a difficult time catching my breath, and with congestion.  Well, we'll see how this goes. Wish me luck.

Betty

Online Tonny2

« Reply #149 on: March 11, 2015, 08:36:07 pm »

ojo      best of luck and lots of hugs      ojo

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #150 on: March 11, 2015, 08:37:28 pm »
Im wishing you luck and wishing you had stayed in the hospital too … end of nagging now .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Buckmark

• Henry's Home Page
« Reply #151 on: March 11, 2015, 08:40:59 pm »
So I went to my doctor, who wanted to admit me to the hospital.  I told her no way.  It was because even after a breathing treatment my biox rate was so low she said I was borderline hypoxia.  So, she diagnosed pneumonia, acute exacerbation of COPD, and gave me Doxycycline, Prednisone, Spiriva, and Albuterol. 

That's quite a cocktail.  And not the good kind.

I have not smoked since this morning, it seems counterproductive at this point.

Um.... yes, indeed counterproductive.   :o

I'm having a difficult time catching my breath, and with congestion.  Well, we'll see how this goes. Wish me luck.

I'm worried about you, Betty.   :-\

*hug*

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #152 on: March 12, 2015, 06:04:55 am »
Made it through the night without having to utilize the ER.  Breathing is a bit better but still labored at this point and still have a lot of congestion but that's to be expected.   Will keep this updated. Thanks al!

Betty

Edited to add: thanks Henry, and Jeff. And thanks David for the texts.  I appreciate everyone's concern. Thanks all!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 12:45:00 pm by BT65 »

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #153 on: March 12, 2015, 12:11:16 pm »
Did they mention giving you a portable
Oxygen tank ? May make you more comfortable while your recuperating.
its scary not being able to catch your breath.
I know I been there.
You Take Care !  Wade
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 HIV Testing
 HIV TasP
 HIV prevention
 PEP and PrEP

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #154 on: March 12, 2015, 12:43:38 pm »
Thanks Wade, no they did not mention portable oxygen.  If it's still bad tomorrow when I go back (the doctor is making me go back after two days, can you imagine? it's like they're torturing me lol), I will ask about one. 

The Prednisone is helping. She has me on 10 mg, taking 6 a day.   And I'm using the inhaler every 4 hours right now until things calm down. 

The not smoking is going well.  What I did this morning (okay, I know this isn't ideal) is inhale enough for the smoke to get in my mouth, then breathe out.  Habit thing I guess.  Haven't had one since then.  First thing in the morning with coffee is very difficult. 

I did manage to clean the bathroom and shower.  So there's that.  Hopefully things will get better.  One of the drawbacks is that it seems better in the morning, then gets worse as the day goes on.  And I cannot take a deep breath without feeling like I'm going to pass out.  So, I avoid that lol. 

Betty

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #155 on: March 13, 2015, 02:27:17 pm »
Went to the doctor's today. She has ordered a home nebulizer to be used every 4 hours throughout the weekend, other than when I'm sleeping.  She also ordered home oxygen. Not permanent she said, just to get me by right now, then to get weened off. Oxygen rates are supposed to be near 100; when I walk mine falls from 90 to 84.  The nurse said even 90 is not good. 

So that's the skinny for now.  Still can't take a deep breath and getting out of breath pretty fast when up and around.  Just doing a little laundry today, that's about it.  Will keep everyone updated.  Thanks for the continued thoughts.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #156 on: March 13, 2015, 04:19:49 pm »
Thanks for the update Betty !
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #157 on: March 13, 2015, 06:21:50 pm »
Thanks Betty,
Hope you start feeling better!
Wade
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 HIV Testing
 HIV TasP
 HIV prevention
 PEP and PrEP

Offline aztecan

« Reply #158 on: March 15, 2015, 04:37:44 pm »
Betty, thanks for updating us.

I am still very concerned about you, please take care.

HUGS,

Mark

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #159 on: March 15, 2015, 05:10:41 pm »
Dearest Betty

Jeff may have stopped nagging but I'm just about to begin (in the nicest possible way of course  ;))

You already know that giving up smoking is the most important step you can take, I know it's not easy, but it has to be done, every cigarette you smoke only adds more damage and will make your condition worse. You can do it.

Trying to keep active isn't easy either but it's really an important part of being healthy, exercise can help your muscles and circulation you will benefit from good excercise, but again it's not easy but it's very important, it helps you to keep your muscles going and when you exercise your muscles regularly, they are able to do more work on less oxygen.

We need you to get better Betty, do as the Doc says, and use your inhalers, they will certainly assist in making your breathing a little better.

Big hugs
Aroha
Jan :-*

P.S sorry I just realised this is *Long Term Survivors Forum* and I shouldn't be posting in here.  Hope Betty sees it before it's removed. ;)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 05:32:15 pm by anniebc »
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #160 on: March 15, 2015, 07:38:26 pm »
Mark, thanks.  Jan, if it's up to me, it won't be removed.  Actually, everyone should be happy to know I have not had a cigarette in like 3 days.  Or more, dunno.  I do have my e-cig, and that's helping stay off the "real" ones.  Jan, I appreciate your concern and of course take everything you say to heart; you've been the nurse all these years, and you must know something lol.  I love you.  Can't wait to meet you!

I do have to get better so I can meet everyone later this year.  And I'm very excited as the guest list continues to get more interesting.  Now Mini and Mum! Anyway, there's a certain couple people to thank for this trip, won't get into it here, but just having some bumps in the road makes you realize how lucky you are, and how much worse it could really be.  Love you all!

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #161 on: March 16, 2015, 08:37:08 am »
Well, thanks to the breathing treatments and inhalers, I have a pretty nasty case of thrush.  Not unexpected, I wondered if that would happen.  I have Nystatin on hand but of course that isn't clearing it, so I have e-mailed my doctor for a script for Fluconazole.  Hopefully he'll get that sent to the pharmacy and I can start on that soon. 

Still not smoking, just the e-cig.  I know that's not like totally nicotine free, but it's better than real cigarettes (even my doctor says so).  I believe it's been a week already.  I never remember the date when I quit smoking, I guess I should jot it down. 

Doing a breathing treatment now, then I will probably take a little oxygen since I have some stuff to do around here.  I'm going to stay home for a while.  My women's group is meeting tonight, my supervisor is bringing the ladies over. So, there's a little extra pocket money I can save for Memphis. I suppose that's it. Just wanted to keep everyone in the loop.  Thanks again for the concerns.

Betty

Offline wolfter

« Reply #162 on: March 16, 2015, 09:24:47 am »
I was on Fluconazole for quite a while after developing crypto and hated it.  Hope you tolerate it well and clear up this infection quickly.

take care of yourself and I'm sending positive energy your way.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #163 on: March 16, 2015, 09:41:27 am »
Thanks, Greg. I can tolerate it in short doses, like for a week. It is pretty rough on the liver.  But, I have to get this thrush cleared, it's covering the whole inside of my mouth, including the tongue, under the tongue, etc.  You get the picture.  I don't know why my doctors never heard of Mycelex Troches.  Those things work.  But anyway, thanks again.

Greg, I know you and I had a bumpy road at first, but your friendship is invaluable to me. Thanks.

Betty

Offline wolfter

« Reply #164 on: March 16, 2015, 12:12:44 pm »

Greg, I know you and I had a bumpy road at first, but your friendship is invaluable to me. Thanks.

Betty

;D  Well hell yeah.  I was a miserable, nasty, confused,  sick and angry lost soul when I first joined. 

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #165 on: March 16, 2015, 12:20:28 pm »
Well, but you're so delightful now!  Seriously, I wasn't in the best shape when I joined either.  There's a story behind that, but I was mistaken for the biggest train wreck to hit the forums.  Just because I was so outspoken. I mean, the person I was mistaken for is downright evil. Lol.

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #166 on: March 18, 2015, 12:07:03 pm »
Betty,
I had an old friend who used to get nasty bouts of thrush,
he would rinse out his mouth with a vinegar and water solution.
He swore by it, just thought I'd pass it along.
Wade
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 HIV Testing
 HIV TasP
 HIV prevention
 PEP and PrEP

Online Tonny2

« Reply #167 on: March 18, 2015, 12:45:48 pm »

ojo       Hi Betty, its worth to try it...Bubba you sounded like my mother, lol, she uses vinager for everything, lol   hugs            ojo

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #168 on: March 18, 2015, 05:05:56 pm »
Sorry to read that now you have thrush on top of everything else, Betty :(

Offline aztecan

« Reply #169 on: March 18, 2015, 09:44:01 pm »
Betty, not to beat a dead horse, but if lil ol me could quit smoking when I had a three-pack-a-day habit, and not kill anyone in the process, I have high hopes for you.

;)

BIG HUGS.

Mark

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #170 on: March 21, 2015, 08:18:07 am »
Thanks for the well wishes.  The doctor gave me a two week supply of Diflucan, so I'm covered there and the thrush is starting to go away.  And I haven't had a real cigarette in 12 days.  I'm using the e-cig.  I know, I can see people rolling their eyes, but for now it's keeping me off the real thing, and the congestion is getting better.  Slowly, but it is getting better.

Went to my ortho's yesterday.  Xray was taken and I not only have a fracture down the whole first metatarsal, but now there is a break down the 4th metatarsal (all same side).  And I told the dr that when I walk it feels like my knee is going to split open.  He said it's due to the rod rubbing on the bone and skin in the knee.  So I asked him if the rod is going to come flying out of my leg lol, and he said it shouldn't as long as nothing else in that area breaks.  Lovely.

Well, what can you do except just keep going.  I'm really missing working my part time job that I had to separate from.  Luckily I am still doing the women's support.   It's only like 3 or 4 hours a week, but it's better than nothing. I'm not released to do any heavy duty work, so I've been doing stuff around here, like spring cleaning, etc. 

And that's about it for now.  Good vibe, thoughts etc. still much appreciated!

Betty

Offline mitch777

« Reply #171 on: March 21, 2015, 02:53:00 pm »
Dear Betty,

I have been busy being self-indulgent visiting Palm Springs and I never logged on other than to quickly check my pm's and now I read all of this!

Geez!! What a mess!  :(

Wishing you my best and sending you big (((hugs))).

Love you,
Mark

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #172 on: March 22, 2015, 12:19:28 pm »
Thanks, M. I read about you being in Palm Springs.  I'm glad you had a good time, and I understand you will be moving there? Or at least want to? 

Betty

PS Still not smoking real cigarettes!

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #173 on: March 22, 2015, 12:37:42 pm »
Betty Betty Betty Betty … we all voted and it’s been decided that you are to get well immediately . Your cooperation is appreciated  .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline wolfter

« Reply #174 on: March 30, 2015, 01:19:01 am »
Betty, I'm not gonna play "preach to the choir" with you.  :)  BUT, I hope you're taking it easy and figuring how to finally mend these problems.  Be it another doctor, finally sitting still, medication or a combo of all of them.

I tried to be normal too quickly also and that probably assisted with later injuries. 

I hope you don't mind sharing my osteo updates on your thread?  I've discovered a lot of info on osteo and HIV.  Especially concerning Medicare and your insurance provider.  I've been on Boniva for almost 2 years and am elible for another covered BDS in May.  But after being switched to Humana, they refused to cover this drug.

They provided a 3 month temporary extension as I called constantly.  I'm not switching drugs based on my insurance company's advice.  That's what I have a doctor for.

Then I found several articles explaining why Humana and other want to switch us over to the more costly injectable drugs.  At that point, Medicare will pay for it.  Alas, not a hit to the insurance company.   >:(  Boniva is so much cheaper and since I've been on it so long, we need to see if it made a difference.  They will all tell you there isn't a lot of research and data and HIV and osteo issues.  They simply don't know, which I totally understand.  But, I don't want someone that doesn't care about my wellness but rather is looking at the finacial aspect even if it eventually costs them more.

Rambling after a couple of glasses of wine (finally, several days dry now).  Take care darling and we need to talk soon.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #175 on: March 30, 2015, 03:25:09 am »
Well, I've got insomnia, have had for the past 3 days.  Not sure why, no med changes, still on Stribild etc.    I'm sitting in my big chair and will probably fall back asleep for a while around 4or5. 

Greg, I'm sure my osteo dr doesn't know anything about HIV and osteoporosis.  I would be interested in the research if you ever want to put up the links to what you've found.

Besides my first metatarsal bone being broken, my fourth metatarsal is also.  I have a "shoe cast" that I wear when I am up and it helps greatly.  I'm still able to drive and I do my own shopping now, as long as the store has one of those rideable carts, and I carry everything into my house myself.  And there are days that I am able to use my cane most of the day instead of my walker.

There has been some change in my health care.  My primary care dr's office is stopping all chronic pain management because of the government crackdown on prescribed opiates.  So he referred me to a pain dr.  Everyone here knows the issue I have with my knees.  Well, this pain dr is wanting to do this procedure that burns 3 nerves around the knees, which he hopes will take care of the pain.  It's called nerve ablation.  First they numb the nerves, then call the next day to see how it worked before they burn them. 

He also switched me to a much lighter pain med, increased my Ibuprofen and doubled my Lyrica.  It's working out so-so.  Hopefully as time goes on it will get better.  We'll see.  So, that's what's going on right now with me.  If you've read all this, bless your heart, lol.  Will keep this updated, when I remember.

Betty

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #176 on: March 30, 2015, 02:25:27 pm »
Hi Betty ,
Hope you start getting well soon ,it has to be really frustrating .
Not smoking can really fuck up your sleep patterns !
My brother in law has been using the e cig for some time,
With no smoking. They have nicotine ,but are missing the tar and
Carbon monoxide and other bad things in cigs. Hope it's still goin well.

I've never heard of that procedure for you knees , but might be a good bandaid
till you can get them replaced. Maybe your doc
can give you some sort of sleep aid , you heal better when rested .
Just get well.
You have to go to AMG in one piece ,or you'll get charged for two rooms LOL !
Hopefully next year I can make it and meet everyone , never know ,
maybe this year, but had a lot of going on .
You Take Care , Wade

HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 HIV Testing
 HIV TasP
 HIV prevention
 PEP and PrEP

Offline wolfter

« Reply #177 on: March 31, 2015, 12:52:54 pm »
In a nutshell Betty, if a medication requires a medical procedure ( a needle), then medicare covers it.  Otherwise, if it's just a medication then your prescription drug provider foots the bill.  It's in their best interest to suggest injectables instead of paying the cost of a pill.

My main issues is that there isn't much research for us old fucks regarding bone issues and HIV. 

The other Greg is an avid runner and I can't run like I used to.  I'm certain that even though my ankle healed, it must have healed at a weird angle.  I pointed out to him last night how my new Born loafers are showing signs of walking incorrectly.  It's hard to explain but in addition to the loss of feeling in that leg, I can only jog a mile or so before it hurts so bad that it sends jolts through my entire leg.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #178 on: March 31, 2015, 01:18:25 pm »
Well, I can't jog at all but can attest to how it looks weird when the shoe shows how the foot is not healed properly.  My roommate bought me slippers for one of my Xmas presents, and I can't wear them now because they're permanently deformed because of how my bones healed wrong.  I totally get it.  But, at least you can run.  I can't make it yet through the grocery store without one of those riding carts.  Yesterday I just started riding my recumbent bike for 20 minutes.  That's about all I can do lol.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #179 on: March 31, 2015, 01:25:03 pm »
You do know it's because we are stubborn and probably didn't do as directed.  :)  I rec'd a call Sunday as we were wine shopping in Columbus asking if I'd bar tend.  By the time I closed my calf hurt like a sob!

I just can't wait to get my bike out now that we're getting great weather.  my little 20-25 mile rides don't cause these issues. 

Offline mitch777

« Reply #180 on: March 31, 2015, 05:00:19 pm »
You do know it's because we are stubborn and probably didn't do as directed.  :) 

Sorry Betty, I know this is your thread but I was wondering if Greg is still being stubborn by jogging. With all that you went through I would ask your doc if this is the right approach as jogging is a pretty high impact activity and I doubt he would approve.

I love you two and I would hate to see this thread go on to infinity because you pushed yourselves beyond what your bodies are capable of to heal properly. You both have already done that already, now stop it now!  :)

This coming from a long term smoker.  :-[

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #181 on: March 31, 2015, 07:20:53 pm »
M, lol.  Thanks. I appreciate your concern, but all I do is walk and things break, screw jogging!

Oh, it's only been a couple weeks since I had a real cigarette and believe me, I think of getting a pack every day.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #182 on: April 14, 2015, 03:35:59 pm »
So today I had my nerves numbed around the knee.  Now mind you, this was the left knee and they told me I had to have a driver.  So, I thought, cool, they're going to sedate me.

But NO!  No pain meds, no sedation.  The doctor gave me a couple shots that is supposed to "numb" the area somewhat.  I think it number my outer layer of skin.  Because when he stuck in those three big needles, son-of-a-bitch.  That shit hurt.  I mean, like serious hurt.  Because they went into three place around my knee, with the needles going into my bone, and all the way down into the bone (he said the nerves run along the bone).  I kept cussing lol.

The nurse said I did "great" and said females are the stronger sex.  who knows.  It's numb right now, but keeps popping whenever I move. What I mean is, the top bone is collapsed into the bottom one (not from today's procedure lol), and the bones keep "popping" in and out of each other.

So, we'll see how this goes.  Wish me luck.  This could be good if it works.  Just wanted to update.

Edited to add: this morning, when getting out of the shower, my second to the big toe on my right foot was burning.  I looked at it, and there to my amazement was a blister that went up the side of my toe, and covered the top of my toe.  I put antibiotic ointment on it, and band-aids.  Hopefully it will heal okay.  Going to the bone doc Friday, seeing the nurse practitioner, will ask her for some antibiotics.  Now I'm wearing a toe separator between these toes.  My foot was never right after breaking all the bones.  I tend to walk with it turned in, which puts pressure on the outside of the foot, and smashes up the toes.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 03:43:07 pm by BT65 »

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #183 on: April 14, 2015, 03:58:59 pm »
 :-X ugh those three shots sound excruciating, Betty -- at least it's over with. Is this something you will need to endure again?

Offline wolfter

« Reply #184 on: April 14, 2015, 07:46:17 pm »
So hoping this gets you some much needed comfort.  I recently pointed out to Greg how my right shoes are all wearing on the side.  I have a new pair of Born loafers that are almost ruined already.  I guess since at least I'm walking I shouldn't bitch except that I might as well stop buying expensive shoes.....damn.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #185 on: April 14, 2015, 09:59:16 pm »
:-X ugh those three shots sound excruciating, Betty -- at least it's over with. Is this something you will need to endure again?

Oh, that's just the beginning.  They're going to call tomorrow to see if it worked, because if it does, he's going to burn the nerves, same side.  As in sever by burning.  And I asked the nurse if he sedates people for that or uses pain meds, and she said no because he has to ask questions during the procedure. 

If it's successful, he's doing the other knee...same procedure(s).   

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.