Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:57:35 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773220
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 637
Total: 639

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: newbie  (Read 5844 times)

Offline jay195

« on: July 26, 2009, 02:08:00 pm »
Hi everyone ! I am so very glad I found this sight . It has , and is very helpful. I was diagnosed hiv + last July and thought I was gonna die like the very next day !  But no, here I am alive and kicking and still going to my spinning classes three times a week and still working . I guess I should thank my lucky stars that my life has not changed at all, apart from taking the meds ( which I had to start immediately after being diagnosed ) Oh !! and I stopped smoking too. Who knows what is in store but I intend to carry on looking on the bright side of life ( as Monty Python would say ).Seriously though I think that thinking positive plays an important part in anyone's life regardless of their status.Cheers.

Offline micca

Re: newbie
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 02:14:29 pm »
 :)I WAS DIAGNOSED LAST JULY AS WELL. I DIDNT START MEDS TILL THIS YEAR. LIKELY I FEEL GREAT. I THOUGHT I WAS GOING TO DIE TO. BUT FOUND OUT IT WASNT A DEATH SENTENCE.

Offline jay195

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 02:25:54 pm »
I know, it is such a shock to the system.I went on to automatic for the first weeks , just trying to get my head around that awful news . But this bug lives with me , I don't live with it ! I haven't disclosed to my daughters yet and I don't intend to either. I see no point in worrying them until if or when the time comes .By the way I am 56 years old.

Offline Pammypoo

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 06:56:05 pm »
Thank you for sharing such a positive story! I have always been a positive person although since finding out I am poz...it's been hard, but hearing from other people that life does go on and things can be "normal" again gives me hope again!

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 06:21:04 pm »
Jay, welcome to the women's forum.  Nice to hear your story.

I do have to say, that I told my daughter soon after testing positive (which was 20 years ago).  I didn't want her to find out in a not so pleasant way (like me dying or becoming very sick).  When I went through wasting, about 15 years ago, she understood why it was happening, without me having to make up excuses.  My daughter wasn't very old when I told her (5), but I explained it, with the help of my ASO, to the best of my ability.  And, she met several very lovely people throughout the years.  And it's made her a hell of a lot more open minded.  People's families don't usually like to find out when a person gets very ill, etc.  Just sayin'.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Snowangel

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 11:28:35 am »
Welcome Jay!

That is great that you were able to quit smoking and can go to a spinning class.  That seems like it would take a lot of co-ordination to go that fast, I would probably end up in a jumble on the floor.
I have been on meds since Jan 0f 97 and just told my oldest son who is 10 in the last month or so. It is amazing what you can get through with a positive perspective.

Take care,
Snow
Of all the things you wear, your expression is the most important

The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..

One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

One thing you can't recycle is wasted time.

Offline jay195

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 12:21:19 pm »
Hi Snowangel thanks for your welcome.You should take up spinning ,it's fantastic for the legs and bum, that's the only reason I do it ! Plus I am so busy concentrating that it takes my mind far far away lol And then when it's over I shower have a quick supper and off to bed. (A bit like having sex really ) ;)

Offline Snowangel

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 11:23:21 pm »
LOL,  I could definately use the concentration part but I already have chicken legs as it is.

Of all the things you wear, your expression is the most important

The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..

One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

One thing you can't recycle is wasted time.

Offline MOONLIGHT1114

• Cheech 2.2.94 - 4.23.10 We miss you so much!
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2009, 05:38:33 am »
Welcome to the new girls here! 

Yes, Snow I am in the chicken leg category, too.   :D

~ Cindy
HIV+ since '93, 1/12 - CD4 785 and undet.   WOO-HOO!!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.