Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 10:36:07 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 795
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 565
Total: 565

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Ugh things that frustrate me - Shingles in our School warnings.  (Read 4653 times)

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Got the below email from the school today, how disappointing >:(

Dear Parents/Guardians of X,

There has been a case of shingles in our school and your child/children  may have been exposed.

Shingles may cause some early (prodromal) symptoms that last for one to four days before the rash first appears. These early symptoms can include:

a high temperature (fever) of 38C (100.4F) or over
myalgia (muscle pain)
burning, tingling, numbness or itchiness of the skin in the affected area
a feeling of being generally unwell
Please consult your doctor or the HSE website for more information.

Kind Regards,

XXX School.

My reply:

Hi,

Thank you for the email.

I appreciate mentioning the potential exposure to shingles, as it can cause chickenpox's in someone who has not previously been exposed to the virus.  X BTW has already had chickenpox so is not at any risk.

However, your email then goes onto mentioning the symptoms of shingles to parents, this seems highly suggestive shingles as a condition could be spread from person to person when factually shingles can't.

I would appreciate if the school does not send emails with any suggestive or misinformation about medical conditions, it's also to avoid misunderstandings or stigma towards people with or affected by those medical conditions.   

Best, Jim

https://www.hse.ie/eng/health/az/c/chickenpox/

https://www.hse.ie/eng/health/az/s/shingles/

It is not possible to catch shingles from someone else with the condition. The shingles virus is reactivated from a previous infection with the varicella-zoster virus (the virus that causes chickenpox) and is not transmitted by person-to-person contact.

However, it is possible for someone who has never had chickenpox to catch chickenpox from someone with shingles. In Ireland, chickenpox is so common during childhood that 9 out of 10 adults have had it, so will not be affected.

https://patient.info/news-and-features/shingles-myths-you-should-stop-believing

Myth: You catch shingles from someone who has shingles
You can only get shingles if your own varicella-zoster virus is reactivated. So, if you had chickenpox in the past, and the virus is activated again for some reason, you can get shingles.

It's not known why the virus sometimes re-emerges, but it's thought that periods of illness or stress can trigger it, as well as other risk factors mentioned above.

But coming into contact with someone who has shingles will not reactivate your dormant virus. In other words, you cannot catch shingles from someone who has the infection. You can't catch shingles at all - you just get it randomly.

However, you can catch chickenpox from someone who has shingles if you've never had chickenpox before. It's very rare to get chickenpox more than once in your life, so as a rule you're only at risk if you haven't had it already.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 06:28:36 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
Re: Ugh things that frustrate me - Shingles in our School warnings.
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2020, 08:11:06 pm »
it's always sad when we have to reprimand officials who should know better.
it's always good when we can educate officials about what they should know.....especially when referencing their own links back to them. LOL

I remember a few years ago when the local HIV clinic hired some new staff and one of them decided to mail letters out to large number of patients warning that they were infected with Hepatitis A and highly contagious. However, a positive HAV-Ab total test has two components: IgM, which appears 2 to 4 weeks after infection and is present for 2 to 6 months; and IgC, which appears a few weeks after IgM and is present for the rest of the person’s life. All the patients had IgC and no one had current Hep A or was contagious. Nothing like giving our small city a great big health scare for no reason. ugh
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline fabio

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2020, 01:32:37 pm »
I went to school and places normally when I had shingles,nobody got anything......
Of course the school thinks that you can "get" shingles like it's infectious. Of course,in people who never went through chicken pox it's a bit dangerous,but I know that every child goes through chicken pox (probably I did too,because that's what the doc said was in just one side,because the virus got reactivated or something).
I guess schools should do better research. Certain topics about general health (even sexual health) wasn't explained to our school. When my teachers talked about hiv they only said AIDS,just like the news where they fail to understand the difference from lack of knowledge. They even claimed that treatment was sort of futile and death from the virus was inevitable,which was quite scary.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 01:35:01 pm by fabio »

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2020, 01:42:49 pm »
Well yeah, nearly every child in within the EU I think, certainly Ireland. Shingles I've had that a few times, sucks, but certainly not from someone else, just reactivation of the virus.

I think in the USA they have started to vaccinate kids in recent years, although, open to correction on that. https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/varicella/public/index.html

When my teachers talked about hiv they only said AIDS,just like the news where they fail to understand the difference from lack of knowledge.

I honestly can't remember HIV/AIDS being mentioned in school. Does not mean it was not mentioned though but maybe I just can't recall. I do remember sex-ed condoms on cucumbers and scary stories about the clap (Gonorrhea) & pregnancy etc
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 01:45:09 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline fabio

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2020, 02:12:26 pm »
 It was a topic that they used in biology uni entrance exams which you do from high school. It's quite the outdated book too. There wasn't any sex ed and still isn't. They consider it to be explained by the parent and not the school. The hiv/aids And the difference in theories between lamarc and Darwin were the bane of my nightmares when it comes to finals .
We also had a pregnant girl in class,she's a nice mother now though.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.