Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 27, 2021, 09:13:52 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 760762
  • Total Topics: 64550
  • Online Today: 277
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 229
Total: 230

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: 1 Year Anniversary  (Read 1053 times)

Offline Day0

1 Year Anniversary
« on: January 01, 2021, 03:01:56 am »
So yesterday Dec 30th was my one year anniversary of my positive HIV test.

Of course, with my numbers, I had been positive for quite some time and not known it.

Discovering I was HIV positive really was a whirlwind. I went from having so much hope one day to being horribly depressed the next. Unfortunately, I discovered that I was prone to apathy in which I really didn't care either way. I felt that was worse than being sad. At least being sad I felt something. But those days are few and very far between.

So a year has passed and I feel good. I dont find myself thinking about the days since that positive test. My medication is built into my daily routine-almost like brushing my teeth. I do really miss my support group that met every Friday. Unfortunately, with covid, that group was suspended-understandably and likely indefinitely.

As of today, my husband and the team of doctors, nurses, and phlebotomists are still the only people who know I am positive. I am still planning to tell my immediate family. But I will not tell them until I am undetectable. To be honest, I do not know if waiting until then is more for my benefit or theirs. Yet it feels right to me and I feel strongly that it is my choice to turn that page when I want to. I still feel very strongly about never disclosing to my work.  Though, I am still uncertain whether I will ever disclose to friends.

I don't post often, but I do come to the forums regularly. It does help a lot. One thing that people didn't tell me (including my group and my psychiatrist) is how lonely being HIV positive can feel. These forums have made it much less lonely and I am thankful for that.

So, It is day 366 since diagnosis. And I will likely not reference it by days again. That feels like progress. And that makes me smile

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Twitter @JimAllenDublin
    • HIV Lessons
Re: 1 Year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2021, 03:39:24 am »
Hiya,

Glad to hear things are going well and that the forum at least helps somewhat with the feeling of loneliness.

How is the home renovation going? You were planning to install a new kitchen and fix up the bathroom right?

Hopefully, in 2021 we can return to some sense of normality and you can attend the support group again. 

Best, Jim
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Day0

Re: 1 Year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2021, 04:11:56 am »
Hiya,

Glad to hear things are going well and that the forum at least helps somewhat with the feeling of loneliness.

How is the home renovation going? You were planning to install a new kitchen and fix up the bathroom right?

Hopefully, in 2021 we can return to some sense of normality and you can attend the support group again. 

Best, Jim

Thanks Jim,

Unfortunately, we discovered some problems with the restroom window and the concrete under the deck cracked and leaking towards our foundation so everything was put on hold.

We've sealed the window and put a temporary patch on the concrete for now. We are now in the process of getting quotes for the concrete and the deck. In the meantime I think I'm just going to replace some fixtures in the bathroom just to feel like we've accomplished something.😁

I am tempted to just buy the tile I really liked now so im not hunting for it later.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2021 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.