Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:39:48 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 367
Total: 367

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: These two are trying to use "Stand your ground:...  (Read 2077 times)

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
These two are trying to use "Stand your ground:...
« on: April 13, 2012, 08:33:54 am »

For their defense. 

http://www.baynews9.com/content/news/baynews9/news/article.html/content/news/articles/bn9/2012/4/13/security_guards_to_h

Video: http://www.baynews9.com/content/news/baynews9/video.html?clip=http://static.baynews9.com/newsvideo/bn9/web_video/Pepper_Spraying_Video_413.f4v&vtitle=Video%20shows%20pepper-spraying%20incident%20at%20Tampa%20restaurant

Security guards to head to trial in pepper-spray incident

The father, Merril Prince, 63, and his son, Michael Prince, 30, said they plan to use the controversial ‘stand your ground’ law as part of their defense.
By Josh Rojas, Reproter
Last Updated: Friday, April 13, 2012 @ 07:30AM

TAMPA --

A pair of security guards who were charged with misdemeanor battery for pepper-spraying a man twice at a Salem’s Gyros restaurant parking lot in Tampa last July will face a jury trial on Monday. 

The security guards are a father-and-son team. The father, Merril Prince, 63, and his son, Michael Prince, 30, said they plan to use the controversial ‘stand your ground’ law as part of their defense.

"I was protecting myself, protecting the property and protecting the people that was inside,” Michael Prince said. “It just went south from there.”

"We do not feel that that we did anything wrong,” Merril Prince said. “We were doing were told to do, asked to do by the owners of the property."

The victim, Willie Bass, 25, said he did nothing to provoke the pepper spray incidents.

“Trying to leave Gyros and got maced for no reason,” Bass said.

The first incident was caught on surveillance video at 3:54 a.m. at the restaurant located at 4006 E. Hillsborough Ave. The video shows Merril Prince spraying Mace into the window as Bass is drives a grey car through the parking lot. 

“No warning, nothing. He didn’t say nothing to me,” said Bass. “He just Maced me and I’m, like, shocked. My homeboy grabbed the wheel and parked my car.”

Prince said he had told Bass numerous times to turn down his music and leave the property. The guard said he feared Bass was going to hit him with the car and that’s why he used his pepper spray.

“Drive thru lane's behind me, I'm afraid if I back up I may get hit by a car back there,” Prince said. “I stood there, he came close, I reached out and I could have literally just touched him. I shot him with Mace."

Bass said he went inside the restaurant to wash off his face. When he came out, Bass said he decided to record cell phone video of the guard to capture his identity.

“I pulled my phone out to try and record him saying his name, his badge number, so I could go over his head and go to his supervisor,” Bass said.

That cell phone video is now evidence in the criminal case.

The video shows Bass approach Merril and Michael, who can be heard telling him to leave.

Michael: "Oh, you want to take pictures? You can't take pictures man. You know what? You need to go on."
Willie: "(laughs)."
Michael: "I'm telling you right now you need to go the (expletive) home."
Willie: "I'm telling you." 
Michael: "I'm going to mace your ass again."   
Merill: "That'll be the best picture he's had all night."

As Bass goes back to his car the cell phone video captures more of the confrontation.

Michael: "Go on take pictures, man. You can take all the video you want because you know what? It's illegal and I've already got your tag number. That's illegal you have to ask my permission (expletive)."   
Willie: "Go ahead and call me a (expletive) again, sir. Please do." 
Michael: "(expletive)."

Bass said after he got into his car and started it up, he was maced a second time when Michael Prince sprayed it through the driver’s side window.  You can hear Bass coughing on the cell phone video.

Willie: "(coughs) He be spraying me again, dog (coughs)." 
Passenger: "He just sprayed you? Want me to drive, bro?"
Willie: "Believe me they just sprayed me again." 

“Shut my door and I got maced again for no reason,” Bass told Bay News 9.

Michael Prince said he deployed his pepper spray because he saw Bass reaching for a weapon beneath his car seat.

“He was reaching under his seat, I saw the butt end of a knife," Michael said. "So, I Maced him across the chest. He wasn't wearing a shirt at that time. He was actually able to close the door, start his vehicle up, but then stopped, turned his vehicle off, got out and started throwing up." 

Bass said he had no weapons in the car and disputes Michael’s version of events.

“No reach under my seat. No reaching, my car’s on, I’m trying to leave,” said Bass. “My door’s shut and no threatening move and he’s going to mace me again?”

Tampa police were behind the restaurant at the time investigating a large fight that had occurred. Bass complained to the officers and showed them his cell phone video.

After police looked at the cell phone and surveillance videos, the security guards were arrested for battery.

According to a report, Sgt. Randy Peters said, “This was inappropriate and no legal justification existed for him to utilize pepper spray under these circumstances.”

Attorney Raul Cabrera is representing the security guards. Cabrera said he plans to use the ‘stand your ground’ law and a security guard statute as a defense.

That Florida statute states: "Non-deadly force may be used by a security officer to... terminate trespass or "interference" with property the security officer has a legal duty to protect."

"It is our belief that they had a right to protect themselves, to protect the individuals that were here and they did nothing wrong when they chose to do that," Cabrera said.

According the report, Sgt. Peters was skeptical of that security guard statute, stating that he was going to check with “our legal staff," but was not going to stand by and let them Mace innocent bystanders.

The attorney said his clients were offered a plea deal that would have dropped the charge in exchange for probation and community service but they turned it down because the security guards are adamant about their innocence.

"It is their belief and it is my belief as their attorney that they stood their ground as they were entitled to and as they should," said Cabrera.

If found guilty of battery, the maximum penalty is one-year in jail.

Soon a Hillsborough County jury will decide whether their use of force was justified.

The security guards said at the time they worked for Certified Protective Services but the company was later sold to Protective Consulting Group.  Michael Prince said he was let go after the pepper spray incident. Merril Prince said he’s still employed as a security guard.

In the interest of full disclosure, a Bay News 9 employee is related to the security guards.
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.