Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 05:16:46 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773294
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 718
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 685
Total: 686

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Books  (Read 8136 times)

Offline Mouse

• Om nom nom.
Books
« on: January 21, 2009, 11:38:26 pm »
There hasn't been one of these threads in a while. I want one back. But I didn't want to drag up any zombie-threads.

So, what are you reading now? What do you plan on reading in the future? What are your favorite books? Have any suggestions for me / anyone else?

Here is my booklog, which is basically my easy answer for all of those questions:
http://tinyurl.com/dclcvv

:D

Offline Basquo

Re: Books
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 12:03:14 am »
I'm reading The Science of Vampires by Katherine Ramsland, Ph.D.  Before that was Glamourpuss by Christian McLaughlin (he also wrote Sex Toys of the Gods) and before that was Armistead Maupin's Michael Tolliver Lives.

Got them all at Half Price Books. I love those stores.

I also read a gay Latino fiction anthology called Besame Mucho while I was recovering at Santi's. I lent it to him a year ago and he's never read it so I took it back.

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 12:17:54 am »
before that was Armistead Maupin's Michael Tolliver Lives.

Got them all at Half Price Books. I love those stores.

OMG!!! I love his books, thanks to Curtis I have read "Tales of the city".."More tales of the city" and "Baby cakes"...they have all become family to me..but i haven't read "michael Tolliver lives"..(cough, cough).. ;)

I'm reading a Patricia Cornwell at the moment, I like any thriller that involves forensic science.

Hugs
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 12:32:20 am »
Nixonland: The Rise of a President and the Fracturing of America:, Rick Perlstein
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 02:06:55 am »
Charlaine Harris' southern vampire series -- which is being serialized on HBO "TruBlood"

Stephanie Meyer's Twilight series.  (ok so I have a thing for vampires)

Mark Richard Zubro -- gay themed murder mystery writer.  I've read all but 3 of this books.
It is not the arrival that matters.  It is the journey along the way. -- Michel Montaigne

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 09:10:39 am »
I'm currently skimming through Men's Health Muscle Chow to get some new healthy recipes. A friend gave me Atlas of the Universe for Christmas and I will be reading that next.

Offline Mouse

• Om nom nom.
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 11:53:50 am »

Stephanie Meyer's Twilight series.  (ok so I have a thing for vampires)

Ugh!

-Shuns you-.

Offline BlueMoon

• Calling from the Fun House
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 02:33:54 pm »
I started Against The Day by Thomas Pynchon a few weeks ago, but stalled out about a quarter of the way through it.  I'll get back to it eventually.

The other day I picked up Father Joe by Tony Hendra, because it was free and I liked what he wrote for National Lampoon way back when, before it sucked.  That might sit around for awhile before I pick it up.

It's a complex world

Offline Funkengruven

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 04:16:58 pm »
I've been reading all three of Malcolm Gladwell's books:  The Tipping Point, Blink and Outliers.  A facinating, well-written take on how change occurs, how we think and the commonality of extraordinary people respectively.  I tore through each one in about 2 days, and even if you don't agree with the author's theories, they're still worth the read.

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2009, 07:47:09 pm »
I am an avid reader. I am currently reading Next by Michael Chichton. I seriously need to keep a book log. I have gotten to where I go to Half price books and forget if I have read something or not.
I just finished reading Duma Key by Stephen King. I have read the vast majority of Dean Koontz books. If I have not read it either I don't know about it or it isn't in paper back yet.

I usually read thrillers and horrors with Koontz being my favorite but I have read other things too.
I read the Left behind series and was surprised I enjoyed it. Its a apocalyptic religious based series.
I also enjoyed Pillars of the earth, World without End and several other Ken Follet books. 

The authors I read most are Dean Koonzt, Stephen King, Michael Chichton and Michael Connelly.

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2009, 05:21:34 am »
It is not the arrival that matters.  It is the journey along the way. -- Michel Montaigne

Offline red_Dragon888

• Love and Be Love in Return
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2009, 06:41:09 am »
Well, I have been reading "Finding the Boyfriend Within," by Brad Gooch.  I brought it some time ago and just skimmed it, but I am really reading it now and it is a great read. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I3ba3lnFHik

Off Crystal Meth since May 13, 2013.  In recovery with 20 months clean time.

Offline Mouse

• Om nom nom.
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2009, 12:58:34 am »
:(

It's not my fault you're reading like the WORST BOOK EVER.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2009, 01:13:59 pm »
I'm reading "Voluntary Madness" by Laura Vincent.  I love real life stories about psych ward adventures.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2009, 04:20:33 am »
It's not my fault you're reading like the WORST BOOK EVER.

It's actually 4 books not just one & the WORST BOOK EVER is As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner!  ;)

Offline cjc

• Sweet Girl
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2009, 07:03:15 am »
Some really good vampire Books  are: The Anita Blake series by Laurell K Hamilton. They are full of blood, violence and sex but I like them.   Stephen King also put out some really good books like: It, The Talisman, (with Peter Straub), Black House(sequel to The Talisman)    I am currently reading Agincourt By Bernard Cornwell. It is good so far.    Cristy

Offline Cliff

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2009, 07:28:48 am »
I haven't read a full book in ages, too many distractions in London.  But I've decided to start reading again, to get away from some of the distractions.  Books I purchased a year or two ago and never got around to reading but will do so soon:

The mission song- John Le Carre (Inside the book I have Jan, RAB, Mark and Melia's room numbers and a BA ticket to SFO, so this must have been an 07 purchase)!

The Darling- Russell Banks

The Shadow of the Wind- Carlos Ruiz Zafon

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2009, 11:48:04 am »
I think the only vampire books I read where Anne Rice. I was a teen at the time cant recall which ones I read but I do recall stopping in the middle of one and lacking the desire to finish it.

Offline minismom

• Quocumque jeceris stabit
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2009, 05:23:24 pm »
Wow, I've polished off quite a few books over the last month and a half.  Right now I'm reading "Season of the Machete" by Patterson.  I've also read "Book of the Dead" and "Scarpetta" by Patricia Cromwell.  I read "Blood Brothers" which is the 1st of "The Seven" trilogy by JD Robb.  I bought the 3rd and Borders is mailing me the 2nd.  I also read "Lady Killer" by Scateline (?). 

BUT the best book so far has been "The Charm School".  It's set in cold-war Russia and is a good read, though a bit long (over 600 teeny weeny print pages)

If you get a chance, I HIGHLY recommend reading "The Jester" by James Patterson.  It's unlike anything he's ever written and, in my never humble opinion, the best he's ever written.

Mum (who loves to read)
www.watoto.com
www.MotherBearProject.org
"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline cjc

• Sweet Girl
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2009, 08:23:52 pm »
Minismum, I have that Book Of The Dead by Patricia Cornwell. I plan on reading it next. Did you know that JD Robb is actually Nora Roberts. I like both the original author and her pseudonym. I will check out The Jester in a couple weeks when I go back to the library. I love to read and the longer the book, the better.  Cristy

Offline Robert

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2009, 08:24:30 pm »

Well I just finished Obama's The Audacity of Hope.

Next on the list is Dreams From My Father.

Mark Richard Zubro -- gay themed murder mystery writer.  I've read all but 3 of this books.

I think next time I'm at the library I'll give this guy a shot.   

My favorite gay mystery writer is Joseph Hansen and his DAvid Bradstetter mysteries

Offline Mouse

• Om nom nom.
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2009, 04:53:57 pm »
I have a real problem with Patterson, so I haven't read anything by him. I should probably let it go, but I found out that he has like hired a team of writers to write his novels for him.

So he seems like. A production company instead of a writer. But what do I know.

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2009, 10:30:39 pm »
I finished reading Next by Michael Chichton. It was ok. Not wonderful but I didnt stop reading it in the middle LOL
Tonight I started reading Invasion by Robin Cook. So far so good.  :P

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2009, 02:16:22 am »

My favorite gay mystery writer is Joseph Hansen and his DAvid Bradstetter mysteries

I do like the David Bradstetter books too.

Also, for anyone into murder mysteries with a historical twist all of the books by Elliott Roosevelt where his mother Eleanor is sort of a Ms Marple are fun.

Offline red_Dragon888

• Love and Be Love in Return
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2009, 03:55:16 am »
I saw the movie "War and Peace."  It's about a war.  Just started on "Velvet Rage."  So far it is making me angry.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 04:21:34 am by red_Dragon888 »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I3ba3lnFHik

Off Crystal Meth since May 13, 2013.  In recovery with 20 months clean time.

Offline minismom

« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2009, 06:41:23 am »
Christy, Nora Roberts has written under 3 names.  Her first novels were seedy romance novels written under Trish or Tracy (?) or something.  I'm not into romance novels so I don't read a lot of her older stuff.  Have you read her Key Trilogy or Circle Trilogy?  I've read both and they are wonderful!

Mouse, a lot of Patterson's earlier books are exclusively by him.  However, as he gets older (he's been publishing since the 70's), there are people who co-write some of his books.  I still enjoy reading them, though.  My favorites are his Alex Cross novels.

I do have to give a shout out to Jefferey Deaver ("Bone Collector).  He wrote a book called "12th Card" that is well worth the read.

Mum
www.watoto.com
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline Mouse

• Om nom nom.
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2009, 11:57:23 am »

Mouse, a lot of Patterson's earlier books are exclusively by him.  However, as he gets older (he's been publishing since the 70's), there are people who co-write some of his books.  I still enjoy reading them, though.  My favorites are his Alex Cross novels.

I don't know a whole lot about the publishing industry. He is still allowed to publish books under his name which he did not write?

Online leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2009, 12:18:51 pm »
He is still allowed to publish books under his name which he did not write?
Though some aren't as good as the ones written solely by him, Patterson is the actual co-writer on those books and publishes them under his name along with the co-author.

you forgot to mention the Women's Murder Club series, minismum. I loved the books but just couldn't get into the tv series (it was on the wrong night  :D ); although I caught "kiss the girls" again last weekend. It's too bad Morgan Freeman is getting too old to play Alex Cross anymore. I'd love to see another Cross movie.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline megasept

• Steven here...
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2009, 12:49:37 pm »
In bad times there's nothing like a good read; get a library card if you don't have one.

Currently reading (right in front of me) these (purchased at a 99 cent book store; they do exist, since books are sold by the pound just like rags)

"Conduct Unbecoming, Gays & Lesbians in the US Military", Randy Shilts
"Lake Wobegon Days", Garrison Keillor
""Dunkle Kammern, Roman", Minette Walters (I guess I could have found this in English)
"Mr. Dooey's Philosophy", F. Opper, 1902! (also 99 cents, even with cute illustrations and nice cover)
"Little Man, Meyer Lansky and the Gangster Life", Robert Lacy
"Jazz, the Rough Guide...", Ian Carr, etc (stole it from a friend)

Favorites:
"Leaves of Grass", 1855, Walt Whitman
"Studs Lonigan" (trilogy, 1932-), James T. Farrell 

8) -megasept

Offline minismom

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2009, 01:31:03 pm »
Mike, you are SO right!  I loved the Women's Murder Club.  Did you know that the "6th Target" was originally named the "6th Nanny"?  That's what is was called in the excerpt at the end of book 5.

I also forgot to give proper mention to my girl Tammy Hoag.  "Alibi Man" and "Kill the Messenger" come to mind.  Of course, I've read every JD Robb's Eve and Roarke (except the new one "Promises in Death - waiting for it to come out in paperback). 

And, can't forget Deaver's main man made famous by the beautiful Denzil Washington - Lincoln Rimes.  I've read all of his series, too.  Patterson has a new main charactor, too.  I forget his name, but I just read the book.  He's a police investigator that caught my eye because he's the father of 10 adopted children ;D

Mum (who just finished "Season of the Machete" this morning and STILL waiting for book #2 of Robb's "The Seven" trilogy to arrive in my mailbox)
www.watoto.com

Online leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2009, 02:27:18 pm »
And, can't forget Deaver's main man made famous by the beautiful Denzil Washington - Lincoln Rimes.  I've read all of his series, too.  Patterson has a new main charactor, too.  I forget his name, but I just read the book.  He's a police investigator that caught my eye because he's the father of 10 adopted children ;D
is "Michael Bennett" the new character? I haven't read those yet (I think he's written 2 stories with that character). and yep, in my head while I'm reading, Lincoln Rhyme IS Denzel ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline cjc

• Sweet Girl
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2009, 03:13:45 pm »
Minismun, I didn't know that Nora Roberts had yet another name she wrote under. I did read the Key Trilogy, just donated 2 of them to my local library. They were really good. I like Diana Gabladon, She writes a series of Historical romances set in the Scottish Highlands, They are very good. I own 3 of the 7 and reread them every so often. I own quite a few Stephen Kings and a couple Of Laurell K Hamilton's. I have my own little special bookshelf. Cristy(who loves to read)

Offline minismom

« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2009, 06:26:44 pm »
YES, that's him!  Michael Bennet.  I didn't know he has another book - I need to hunt it down.  The first book made me bawl at the end.  Even though I knew what was coming, the tears still flowed.

Cristy, between Brave Heart and the Highlander (Duncan McCloud from the Clan McCloud), I can't get enough of the Scots!  I will most definately look for a Gabladon novel.  OOOOOOOO man-flesh barely covered in tartan wool.  Does life get any better than that? (unless it's the Irish..lol)

Mum
www.watoto.com

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2009, 08:19:24 pm »
I've long since finished Invasion by Robin Cook. Since then I have read Duma Key, Bag of bones and I am on the last few pages of The Green Mile by Stephen King. I also read Prey by Michael Crichton in between a couple of those King books.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.