Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 10:48:52 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37649
  • Latest: MSB92
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773264
  • Total Topics: 66345
  • Online Today: 361
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 328
Total: 328

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Queer As Folk, my favorite show.  (Read 5397 times)

Offline ryeguy

Queer As Folk, my favorite show.
« on: July 22, 2006, 03:35:28 pm »
Hi everybody,

As some of you know, I love the show queer As folk. It just started to be shown in Germany about 6 months ago and I became an addict!!

At the moment I just finished watching the last episode of season 4. Of course here in germany the only way to see the newer episodes is either buy them or fined them on the net. As I am a true fan I decided to buy them, the legal way:-)

I guess it's time to order the 5th and 6th season.

Is it still playing in the States? In which season are they now, I think it must be 6..... right.

I thought this would be a nice topic. If anyone has a different favorite show go ahead and write which one and why:-))

I love Queer as folk because they tackle a lot of themes which I have dealt with or am living with. Being Pos and having a neg boyfriend, Steroids and hiv, drug addiction and coming clean, friends, children, acceptance, gay bashing. I think we have all been there, or at least many of us.

I also love the characters, I think they are so believable. 

Well that's all.

Kisses from Berlin,
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 02:06:18 pm by JimDublin »

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
Re: Queer As Folk, my favorite show.
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2006, 12:03:10 am »
Are you talking the British version or the U.S. version?

I'm almost through the final season of the U.S. Queer as Folk

Offline Quarter Horse

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2006, 12:17:44 am »
I have watched every episode of the US version...great show, I agree.
In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: IT GOES ON.

Robert Frost

Offline livingpositively

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2006, 12:40:25 am »
Sadly, they are not doing new shows in the U.S.  :(  They did 5 seasons, and called it quits.

I remember when it first started, a friend of mine worked in the same clinic.  Every Monday we would come to work about 30 minutes early and have our QAF coffee talk before we started work.
4/6/07   CD4 450, % 23, No VL
2/19/07 CD4 487, % 26, VL 47,500
1/4/07   CD4 357, % 27, No VL
10/3/06 CD4 500, % 26, VL 18,000
7/6/06   CD4 530, % 29, VL 83,800
4/6/06   CD4 555, % 28, VL 13,000

Offline ryeguy

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2006, 08:32:47 am »
Yeah I mean the U.S. version. Ah man..... that's sad that they quit after 5 seasons:-((

I mean I just finished the 4th that means only one more season to get.  Hmmm I thought this show did really good in the U.S??

Has anyone seen any of the actors get any other roles in anything major in the U.S.??

Jetzt bin ich ganz schon trauig:-((

Offline Benc7

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2006, 11:51:23 am »
I liked the British QAF more than the "American" version which, by the way, was filmed entirely in Toronto, with our Church Street doubling for a Liberty Avenue that is nothing like what you see on screen.  The only good things I can say about QAF "American" is that:
 1. It made at least a cartoon version of gay life accessible to people who have nothing at all and that, I suppose, is better than complete invisibility.
2. It gave local actors exposure (in more ways than one).  I made a point of going to see Fabrizio Filippo (Ethan)on stage after seeing his performance on QAF. He's an amazing actor. Also, Dean Armstong (Blake) is a very accomplished actor on stage and in film.
3.My partner and I watched every single episode to see, with morbid fascination, how bad the writing the could get, how ridiculous the plot line could become and how wooden the main actors could be. Sort of like a gay "Dynasty" for those who remember.
4.There were some very hot scenes. I like hot scenes. A lot.LOL

Offline ryeguy

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2006, 01:22:07 pm »
Sorry you didn't like it as much as me. I think a lot of the topics were very well taken care of. I did not find the writing to be bad, it was seldom surprising but I think a lot of people find that comforting. I guess in all four seasons which I've seen till now I have only been surprised once. That is of course after The Death. I am not going to say who dies because maybe someone has not seen as much as I have.

Anyway, I am glade it brought you a few positive things.

Offline Benc7

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2006, 05:13:39 pm »
Ryeguy, I hadn't thought much about QAF since it ended, but your post reminded me of a couple of things:  While the show was in its second season I read a posting on a message board from a man who was(copyright police, please ignore the following) downloading episodes of the first season from the net.  He lived in a country where just being gay is illegal and he described what a powerful experience QAF was for him. I wish I'd kept a copy of that message; it was one of the most moving things I've ever read. In the show's third season, I met a grad student just arrived from mainland China who also described how important QAF was to him.  At that time, he was recording the episodes here and sending them back to his friends (copyright police, please ignore that too). So, while I can be smug and critical of the acting and the writing, I shouldn't ignore or diminish what this series means to a lot of people in a lot of different places. You and I are lucky that we live in countries where this program can be shown on TV. Cheers!

Offline angelofdreams

• dreaming away
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2006, 07:10:08 pm »
i think to be honest i prefered the UK version,(guess it has something to do with "Nathan")
unfortunatly the show is not on tv anymore here :(
To live would be a awefully big adventure

Offline ryeguy

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2006, 11:05:30 am »
In Germany most of the viewers don't really recognise that it's already old in the U.S. Here it's well pretty much  new and cutting edge.

So not to change the topic but can someone tell me what Ozz is all about. If not I guess I can Go ogle it.

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2006, 12:27:47 am »
I just finished watching the series finale of the US version. The stories had their ups and downs but I enjoyed the series as a whole. I particularly liked having a series that was from the gay perspective, frank and unapologetic. They addressed topics that had never been discussed on television. I also liked how it was sex positive and challenged the conservative political climate.

Ironically the thing I disliked most about the series were the sex scenes. It seemed like there was a mandate to have a sex scene every episode whether the story needed it or not. For me when the sex scenes had a context they worked but otherwise they didn't.

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2006, 05:10:28 am »
I loved that show. I can't believe they called it quits. Does anyone know any other show similar to it. QAF was one of the few shows on TV that I used to look forward to seeing. The last season we (my roomie and I) used to have QAF parties...we invited a few Friends over. We had a blast
I guess its back to Monday Night Football Parties LoL. It's just not gonna be the same!
Positive since 1985

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.