Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 12:58:19 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37649
  • Latest: MSB92
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773265
  • Total Topics: 66346
  • Online Today: 361
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 320
Total: 321

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: How can I get quality healthcare in Latin America as an HIV expat?  (Read 2201 times)

Offline 90024male

I'm 55, and I would like to retire early. (I live frugally, and have some money saved up, but am not rich by US standards.) If the Supreme Court strikes down the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare), then I'm concerned that paying for healthcare will wipe away too much of my savings. I'm learning Spanish, and am willing to move to Latin America; Mexico, Panama, Costa Rica, and Colombia come to mind, but I'm open to other possibilities. I've read that healthcare in those countries is excellent if one has private health insurance, but I presume that having HIV will disqualify me.

Does anyone know a country that I could move to where I can get quality affordable healthcare until I qualify for Medicare (in which case I would probably move back to the US)? Any related information would also be appreciated. (For example, if anyone knows of an insurance company or hospital plan that would accept me, or if anyone knows of an expert I could take to.) Thanks!

Offline MitchMiller

Re: How can I get quality healthcare in Latin America as an HIV expat?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2020, 01:14:56 am »
There was a gay couple where at least one of them was HIV+, that used to post to this forum several years ago.  They had moved to Costa Rica from the US.  Search for posts with the user name Hoover.  I tried it using "Costa" as the search term to match and got a lot of hits. 

You should be able to qualify for a retirement visa in Mexico.  Puerto Vallarta looks appealing and has a public HIV clinic, but you would still want to carry catastrophic health insurance so a major accident wouldn't wipe out your savings.  You might be able to buy catastrophic insurance with an exclusion for HIV related illness.

If the ACA is eliminated, you might be able to structure your income flow so you qualify for Medicaid.  You would need to research each state to determine what the means test is for each state.  Some states may not have one. 

If Biden wins the election and the democrats take the Senate, I wouldn't be surprised to see the filibuster eliminated in the Senate.  I would then expect there may be some forthcoming legislation from Congress to render the ACA suit a moot point, so the decision would have no effect on the law. 
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 01:23:06 am by MitchMiller »

Offline harleymc

Re: How can I get quality healthcare in Latin America as an HIV expat?
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2020, 04:24:04 am »
For Ecuadorian residence health insurance is compulsory but the companies can not discriminate on the basis of pre-existing conditions. Very affordable.

There is a visa requirement of yellow fever vaccination which is contraindicated for plwhas

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.