Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:33:06 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773289
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 690
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 614
Total: 615

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: t4/t8 ratio  (Read 7715 times)

Offline blondbeauty

t4/t8 ratio
« on: January 11, 2007, 12:33:27 pm »
Today I have been cheking all my labs since 1.999. and came across my first labas after diagnosis. My t4/t8 ratio was 0.5. What is the normal ratio?
Just curious.
The only member in these forums approved by WINBA: World International Nail and Beauty Association.
Epstein Barr +; CMV +; Toxoplasmosis +; HIV-1 +.
Counts when starting treatment:
V.L.:80.200 copies. CD4: 25%=503
Started Sustiva-Truvada 14/August/2006
Last V.L.count (Oct 2013): Undetectable
Last CD4 count (OCT 2013): 52%= 933

Offline Tucsonwoody

Re: t4/t8 ratio
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 12:49:58 pm »
One article I read said this:

"normal ratios between 1.02 and 2.46"

Hope that is correct and that it helps answer your question.

Kevin
And I wished for guidance, and I wished for peace
I could see the lightning; somewhere in the east
And I wished for affection, and I wished for calm
As I lay there - Nervous in the light of dawn

Offline woodshere

• ain't no shame in my game
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 12:51:00 pm »
My lab report that I got Monday had the normal range 0.92-3.72.
"Let us give pubicity to HV/AIDS and not hide it..." "One of the things destroying people with AIDS is the stigma we attach to it."   Nelson Mandela

Offline Maestro

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 01:21:11 pm »
Whenever I check my Uncles labs it shows his results with either an H (high) or L (low) next to the number if it is out of range and then in the second column in shows the normal range...I will have to check the ration when I get home...

M

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 01:31:37 pm »
Just a word of caution to all when reviewing your lab results. 

Just because a lab result is outside of a "normal range" does not mean that it is not normal for YOU.  Most lab professionals actually prefer the term "reference range" for a number of reasons, including this one.

It is not at all unusual for someone with HIV to have a t4/t8 ratio that falls outside the reference range.  Reference ranges are generated from the "general population" and that means there are few, if any, HIV+ patients in the development of the range. 

This doesn't mean that you shouldn't ask questions about tests outside of ref. ranges, but this is why it is so important to go over results with your doctor so that he/she can help you interpret your results in a more holistic view of you and your health.  Again -- a result that may be of concern for one person, may not be for someone else. 

Hope this helps.
Mike

Offline Maestro

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 01:55:58 pm »
Bocker,

Interesting point about the reference range.  What about cd4%?  Does that follow the same logic?  Or is that a direct result of the HIV infection?

Thanks,

M

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2007, 07:40:32 pm »
Hi Maestro,

I would say that the CD4% probably follows the same kind of logic, but with a bit more complexity, because it is a calculated result.  I'm no T-Cell testing expert, as Flow Cytometry was still very new when I left Hematology lab for the Andrology and Endocrinology lab (imagine working with semen all day), but I believe it is based on the absolute CD4 count and the White count and the number of lymphocytes.  So, if you're HIV+, it would not be surprising to see a CD4% outside the reference range (most likely "low"), but while that would be "not normal" for a negative person, it could be "normal" (or, at least expected) in a positive person.

Mike

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2007, 10:13:16 pm »
Juan- This is from the Lessons section:

The T-Cell Ratio

The T4 Count divided by the T8 Count. Since the T4 count is usually lower than normal in people living with HIV, and the T8 count is usually higher, the ratio is usually much lower than normal. A normal ratio is usually between 0.9 and 6.0. Like the T8 cell count, nobody really knows what this low number means. However, most experts agree that once anti-HIV therapy is started, an increase in the T-cell ratio (i.e. a rising T4 count and a falling T8 count) is a tell-tale sign that drug treatment is working.

Offline Strayboy74

• tastes like chicken
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2007, 12:36:57 am »
Today I have been cheking all my labs since 1.999. and came across my first labas after diagnosis. My t4/t8 ratio was 0.5. What is the normal ratio?
Just curious.

My doctor told me that after seroconversion, lab numbers spike and become quite abnormal, but then they tend to even out.  I wouldn't worry too much about it.  It is entirely possible that it was a lab error, or one of these spikes.  :)

-joseph

Offline Eldon

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2007, 08:01:10 pm »
Now we have an idea of the normal range to look for. Thanks.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.